• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
No one should be suprised that Sakurai picks out most of the third-parties himself. That should've been abundantly clear when the character from one of his favorite franchises, one that he claims to have been a huge inspiration for him, got added in Smash the minute Konami was brought back in through Snake.

If he sees an opportunity to get a character he likes, he'll take it.
Exactly. Of course third-parties can be finnicky or might not want characters involved for whatever reason, but that's highly unlikely nowadays. SEGA withheld Sonic for a time during Brawl's development, but after Smash 4 blew the gates open with so many third-party newcomers, and with Castlevania coming in with Ultimate, it seems like other developers broadly recognize Smash as a huge opportunity to bolster their brand, rather than some weird Nintendo thing that they're unsure about.

That's why I find it highly ridiculous when people argue that Microsoft might be unreasonable regarding Banjo & Kazooie's inclusion, despite the head of Xbox going on record twice that he's totally on board with it, as though Phil Spencer will approve it, but for some inscrutable reason the CEO will butt his head in and deny it, even though he appointed Spencer to the position to make those decisions in the first place.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just started SMRPG, so I hope to understand the hype surrounding Geno. Hope I enjoy the game!

i suck at blocking hits oml
Lovely, nostalgic game. So much to love beyond that little nerdy puppet as you'll find out.

Shantae is one of the most discussed third party characters amongst the Smash community, she's pretty much Ridley 2.0 at this point.
Buddy

D

Deleted member

I have a feeling that since we hit 5555 this week there’s a good omen

I hope
I'm actually pretty 50/50 for this week. I could see something being announced.

However, I'm feeling pretty confident in the next two weeks. Nearly 100%, actually, mainly because it fits Nintendo's timeframe of when they like to drop their last bits of info for a game, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Shantae is one of the most discussed third party characters amongst the Smash community, she's pretty much Ridley 2.0 at this point.
I like Shantae, but I'm pretty sure "Ridley 2.0" would be Isaac or Geno.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Unpopular opinion: While yes it sucks that Roy is bad I think it's a great way to represent Roy from Binding Blade by eternally gimping him in Smash with the sour spots. Roy is by far the worst lord for gameplay in FE and having a fundamentally broken moveset with close quarters hitboxes/damage and swordsman frame data reflects that. Roy's not one for overpowering the enemy, he's a tactician, he has to take what he's got and make the best of it despite being at a disadvantage because it's what he needs to do regardless if he wants to or not.
You say that but Roy in Smash acts like a buff screaming angry maniac that rushes headlong into battle.

He's bad, but he's not bad in the right way, imo. Also, obligatory "Sigurd should've been in"

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Just started SMRPG, so I hope to understand the hype surrounding Geno. Hope I enjoy the game!

i suck at blocking hits oml
When (and if) you get to the part where you meet Boshi, here me out first. It's not about the minigame that he's requested by me. It's his design and potential as an evil mirror to Yoshi

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Heavy disagree with Shantae being classified as "Ridley 2.0"

Edit: I voted Shantae for the ballot. And I think she had a respectable amount of votes in "exit poll" vote counts.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm confused about the Shantae hype. I didn't hear anyone talk about her at all during the leadup to Smash 4 or during the ballot. Then all of the sudden, after the August Direct specifically, discussions about her blew the hell up.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm confused about the Shantae hype. I didn't hear anyone talk about her at all during the leadup to Smash 4 or during the ballot. Then all of the sudden, after the August Direct specifically, discussions about her blew the hell up.
Nah she was fairly prominent leading up to the Ballot. Not up to 4, but during the Ballot she was well-discussed.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Please don't jinx it for us Shantae fans? That would right suck! I got two of my most wanted, and already had two of my other picks relegated to/returning as Assist Trophies! Lemme have this!

Untouch

Smash Master
If they aren't in the game, Ridley 2.0 will be Issac or Skull Kid, due to how many people think they're a lock.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I do not think anyone can reach the levels of what ridley did. So many on both sides. U remember those battles.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
It's giga-hard picking new reps for each of the existing 3rd-party companies.

As far as SEGA is concerned, it'd be nice to see NiGHTS, Billy Hatcher, or Jet Set Radio back in action, but they feel more like Assist material to me, given the scope of their franchises. If I had to pick a new character it'd probably be either Kiryu or someone from Yakuza (please don't kill me I'm not much of a SEGA gamer, I've never even played Shenmue or Yakuza).

Konami has Silent Hill and Konami left and those are the only big ones from them that comes to mind (poor Bomberman). Either Frogger or Pyramid Head would be great characters imo.

Square has a lot to pick from but it feels like a can-of-worms topic on this board right now.

BUT CAPCOM THO
Phoenix Wright easily had the biggest support group during speculation, and he'd be cool, but Ghosts & Goblins is a classic and Arthur would be cool. Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are both mega-franchises that could get a character. And there's also Devil May Cry, which has proven lately to be pretty popu-

BIAS.gif

I'll just drop the pretense and shill, Okami is a goddamn mastapiece. But it's only one game with an underperforming and underwhelming sequel. It's not happening (kill me).

D

Deleted member

I like Shantae, but I'm pretty sure "Ridley 2.0" would be Isaac or Geno.
There's only one Ridley 2.0 in my eyes, and they even share the same color! WAA

...But Geno and Isaac seem like they're up there now, yeah.

Man, all this talk about Geno reminds me I still need to play SMRPG all the way through. I also need to finish the first Paper Mario. And play Paper Jam.

RIP my backlog. I will never have enough time to play all of the games I want to. :lick:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Please don't jinx it for us Shantae fans? That would right suck! I got two of my most wanted, and already had two of my other picks relegated to/returning as Assist Trophies! Lemme have this!
I want her in too but if we don't discuss about her she will never be noticed like K. Rool and Ridley did

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And that's exactly why I like him.

...No, I haven't played Binding Blade...
Well if you've watched Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann, it's basically comparing beginning of the series Simon and end of the series Simon.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I want her in too but if we don't discuss about her she will never be noticed like K. Rool and Ridley did
It's not good to bring discussion to your character in a negative light.
Shantae's been noticed; for a long time now, she's well-loved.
What isn't well-loved is constantly propping her up as some sort of goddess. That only annoys people and drives them away from supporting her.

Roberk

Smash Champion
You say that but Roy in Smash acts like a buff screaming angry maniac that rushes headlong into battle.

He's bad, but he's not bad in the right way, imo. Also, obligatory "Sigurd should've been in"
True, true, I sometimes consider Roy in Smash an original character compared to FE Roy with how much his design and character comes from Smash.

Not gonna lie, even if Sigurd was Melee Roy bad he'd be my main. He wouldn't have been done justice as a clone though being unique with a starting mount and all.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
But I thought
What isn't well-loved is constantly propping her up as some sort of goddess. That only annoys people and drives them away from supporting her.
I meant noticed by Nintendo or Sakurai

D

Deleted member

I went from being neutral to actively against her due to all the dumb straw grasps I've seen, like that slumber party thing being a "hint."

Noipoi

Howdy!
She's certainly not Ridley 2.0 or anything, but Ashley has one of the biggest support threads here. Even though it's pretty useless now...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I meant noticed by Nintendo or Sakurai
The Ballot was your shot at that, and I'm sure that'll get her noticed more than anything else anyone can do. Rest easier my dude.

I went from being neutral to actively against her due to all the dumb straw grasps I've seen, like that slumber party thing being a "hint."
I'm sorry IGuess but I've personally never cared for her for some reasons. Need to play her games, won't act like I have tho lol.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think Geno will be the next highly discussed character rather than Isaac since the general population consensus is anything Mario > "anime swordsman". /s

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I learned a LOT about how to bring up support from other characters' supporters doing it poorly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom