• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
'Square wouldn't want to give Geno' is nonsense.

Giving Geno to Sakurai is a win-win situation for them.

"You really want to pay us all this money for a character we haven't touched in nearly about 20 years and weren't already promoting in any way?"

"Yes!"

"...Alright."

3rd parties aren't added for promotion. Geno can get in just because Sakurai wants him, and Square Enix has made it clear Sakurai is able to at least in some capacity utilize Geno. He is BAR NONE the most likely upcoming Square Enix rep. There are other possibilities on the table, but he is the likeliest by a WIDE margin.

Edit: Also 5 GET

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What do you think?
I'm thinking that it's nothing more than a gut feeling of yours, because more things point towards Geno than they do for the majority of newcomers.

"You really want to pay us all this money for a character we haven't touched in nearly about 20 years and weren't already promoting in any way?"

"Yes!"

"...Alright."

3rd parties aren't added for promotion. Geno can get in just because Sakurai wants him, and Square Enix has made it clear Sakurai is able to at least in some capacity utilize Geno. He is BAR NONE the most likely upcoming Square Enix rep. There are other possibilities on the table, but he is the likeliest by a WIDE margin.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I want him so bad, but I don't feel it's that simple.

Third parties have definitely been added for promotion. You're fooling yourself if you think the upcoming Castlevania content didn't factor in for Simon.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

"Yes!"

"...Alright."

Thanks or giving me hope in a "GENO SUCKZ" world.

D

Deleted member

I doubt that he would play like that in Ultimate.

He would probably be better.
I know that, but it becomes really hard to get hype when that's the closest comparison point.
I like Isaac's moves a lot but his whole set feels like they worked way too hard to make him "not just another anime swordsman". It's just a bunch of moves bungled up together and feels weird to play as.
A lot of moves are just there to "look unique", really. All of his tilts are complete garbage, Down Special is useless, his Smash Attacks are awkward, and his whole moveset and fallspeed caters towards AERIAL combat even though he's supposed to be an Earthbender.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I keep meaning to ask Lara supporters, If she were to get in Smash, would you want it to be classic Lara or the reboot?
Either is fine, though I have a bit of a preference for modern Lara. Camilla Luddington does a fantastic job as her, though I'd hope she wouldn't have the same Union issues Steve Burton had...she's kind of a big deal though, so I could see some issues happening.

Plus I'd get my archer moveset now that my owl buddy is RIP. :p

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Sakurai choosing the 3rd parties sounds like a good and logical thing to me

3rd parties obviously come with different requirements compared to 1st parties

Wouldn't be surprised if the ballot was 95% used for 1st party characters.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

"Yes!"

"...Alright."

It's not quite as simple as that. Though we're all pretty ignorant of how these negotiations work.

SE may say, "what do we have to lose," like you said. But they may also say, "what do we have to gain?" The fact is that they haven't touched Geno in two decades, and while letting Nintendo use him doesn't hurt them, it also doesn't really help them. Meanwhile, if they push for, say, someone from Octopath Traveler, or the Bravely series, or Kingdom Hearts, or Tomb Raider, etc., they stand to gain something by gaining exposure through Smash Bros.

It's fully possible that Sakurai approaches them with a mockup of Geno, and then some exec says, "Who? No. Here's a list of characters we could benefit from. Do you like any of these?"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sakurai choosing the 3rd parties sounds like a good and logical thing to me

3rd parties obviously come with different requirements compared to 1st parties

Wouldn't be surprised if the ballot was 95% used for 1st party characters.
I certainly would, considering third parties had some of the largest campaigns compared to first party characters.

From my understanding, the only notable first party campaigns were:
  • K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Maybe Ridley
Compare that to the likes of Lloyd Irving, Sora, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Banjo & Kazooie, Bayonetta, etc.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though Sakurai has said that he wants Geno, I really hope people don't bank on that being an auto-confirmation, then turn around and bombard Sakurai with aggressive questions if he's not in the base game.

There's still plenty of reasons why Geno could once again miss out, and many of those reasons are completely out of Sakurai's control.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So what you're saying is... Astro Boy as a Mega Man Echo?
I guess with
Does DLC bypass the rating system for the main game?

Having a RE rep and Lara Croft both use guns would be best
Nope, downloadable content gets rated as well
Smash 4 origanly had "Mild suggestive themes" as on of it's listings
Bayonetta bumped it up to just "Suggestive themes"

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I keep meaning to ask Lara supporters, If she were to get in Smash, would you want it to be classic Lara or the reboot?
Classic for sure, I love both lara's to death but using the modern version would be a terrible idea, she's not the iconic one that people recognize

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I certainly would, considering third parties had some of the largest campaigns compared to first party characters.

From my understanding, the only notable first party campaigns were:
  • K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Maybe Ridley
Compare that to the likes of Lloyd Irving, Sora, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Banjo & Kazooie, Bayonetta, etc.
breathing

and paper mario

It's not quite as simple as that. Though we're all pretty ignorant of how these negotiations work.

SE may say, "what do we have to lose," like you said. But they may also say, "what do we have to gain?" The fact is that they haven't touched Geno in two decades, and while letting Nintendo use him doesn't hurt them, it also doesn't really help them. Meanwhile, if they push for, say, someone from Octopath Traveler, or the Bravely series, or Kingdom Hearts, or Tomb Raider, etc., they stand to gain something by gaining exposure through Smash Bros.

It's fully possible that Sakurai approaches them with a mockup of Geno, and then some exec says, "Who? No. Here's a list of characters we could benefit from. Do you like any of these?"
My qualm with this is that Cloud is in. They're well-represented yet again, numerous FF content in the game. They're being promoted.
Geno wouldn't factor in too much, I'd imagine.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Even though Sakurai has said that he wants Geno, I really hope people don't bank on that being an auto-confirmation, then turn around and bombard Sakurai with aggressive questions if he's not in the base game.

There's still plenty of reasons why Geno could once again miss out, and many of those reasons are completely out of Sakurai's control.
I don't think he's locked in at all, but I do think he has a shot this time.
Some people think he's got no chance at all...

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Okay, so I went Reddit surfing again, and now I can say that I was reminded of why Roy needs better hitboxes or something. Maybe the sweetspot could be closer to the sword (bigger?)

He's quite literally my favorite FE character, but I haven't played him yet (that will change), and it would suck for him to deal with these issues again.
Jeez... If this is accurate he might as well just punch people.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Are you making some theories about how the third party characters joins to Smash? Considering that the very first one was a personal request from a friend it could be funny.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that it's nothing more than a gut feeling of yours, because more things point towards Geno than they do for the majority of newcomers.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I want him so bad, but I don't feel it's that simple.

Third parties have definitely been added for promotion. You're fooling yourself if you think the upcoming Castlevania content didn't factor in for Simon.
I'm not trying to be ahead of myself. I don't even particularly want Geno. I'd just prefer people keep and open mind and have their facts straight. With Ridley in the game there's nobody left I hold on for with delusional hope, I back just about any characters up when an unjust or inaccurate statement is thrown their way.

They have been, but by no means always are. Mega Man while his franchise was on life support? Ryu with no tie-in at all? Snake basically as a favor?

The upcoming Castlevania collection is a mild factor at best in Simon's favor. Simon is an icon of NES gaming from a massive franchise that Sakurai himself is fond of, and is already working with the owner to get Snake.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Okay, so I went Reddit surfing again, and now I can say that I was reminded of why Roy needs better hitboxes or something. Maybe the sweetspot could be closer to the sword (bigger?)

He's quite literally my favorite FE character, but I haven't played him yet (that will change), and it would suck for him to deal with these issues again.
It's Roy's curse. He has to suck in any game he's in.

In all seriousness, his design is just...bad. If he had better frame data he would be an amazing character, being able to be something of a rushdown character. But right now, he's just stuck in an awkward middle spot.

D

Deleted member

So what are some alternate costumes you’d like to see in Smash? I’d like to see;
:ultsamus:: Either Fusion outfit or Samus Returns outfit.
:ultsnake:: MGS 1 outfit.
:ultsimon:: Chronicles outfit.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Considering Simon's design in Smash, would it be Classis Lara or Modern Lara?
Classic, with Legends/Underworld and Reboot Lara as alts
So what are some alternate costumes you’d like to see in Smash? I’d like to see;
:ultpit: wearing only his shorts and another with the TST armor, :ultbowser: as a pimp, :ultpeach: as Bowsette, :ultrosalina: in her cosmic form, and :ultpeach::ultdaisy: in their Biker Gear...also them in their soccer gear

And Prison :ultyoshi:

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My qualm with this is that Cloud is in. They're well-represented yet again, numerous FF content in the game. They're being promoted.
Geno wouldn't factor in too much, I'd imagine.
Right, but Cloud only represents one series. Square has a lot of ongoing series. Super Mario RPG is not one of them.

The thing to remember with corporations is that "enough" is rarely actually enough. I don't personally know how these negotiations work, but I do believe that SE not using Geno for two decades hurts his inclusion just as much as it helps him. Essentially, someone at SE could ask, "What's in it for me?" and determine that they don't have enough to gain from Geno versus a character they're actively using.

I know if I were in that position, that's exactly what I would ask. I'd want to put in Lara to hopefully bolster future Tomb Raider sales, possibly even on the Switch, since Shadow underperformed but the movie did well overseas.

Noipoi

Howdy!
:ultbowser:Bowsette Pimp Bowser
:ultpeach: Shadow Queen
:ultdaisy:Tennis Outfit
:ultluigi:Mr. L
:ultness: Pajamas
:ultmewtwo: Mech Armor Mewtwo
:ultpichu:Notch Eared Pichu
:ultsonic:Metal Sonic
:ultpacman:Ms. Pacman
:ultyoshi:A law abiding, tax paying citizen

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Right, but Cloud only represents one series. Square has a lot of ongoing series. Super Mario RPG is not one of them.

The thing to remember with corporations is that "enough" is rarely actually enough. I don't personally know how these negotiations work, but I do believe that SE not using Geno for two decades hurts his inclusion just as much as it helps him. Essentially, someone at SE could ask, "What's in it for me?" and determine that they don't have enough to gain from Geno versus a character they're actively using.

I know if I were in that position, that's exactly what I would ask. I'd want to put in Lara to hopefully bolster future Tomb Raider sales, possibly even on the Switch, since Shadow underperformed but the movie did well overseas.
The problem is that it's truly 50/50 with Geno being inactive. It can be seen as free money for an easy-to-license character or can be seen as useless as he's gone unused.

IMO we must recall Sakurai would also want the character. Would he really "replace" Geno with Lora Croft if he couldn't nab him? I don't know his mentality, I'm not him, but I've never seen him like that.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
With Lara's heavy reliance on realistic guns
I have very limited knowledge of Lara, but from what I can tell, dual guns are super iconic to classic Lara, but reboot? I tend to see her more with the bow and the climbing thing, so maybe reboot Lara could work.

Square not giving Geno wouldn't be the stupidest thing a company has done for no reason. Not even close.

Makna/Jungle armor Shulk.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The problem is that it's truly 50/50 with Geno being inactive. It can be seen as free money for an easy-to-license character or can be seen as useless as he's gone unused.

IMO we must recall Sakurai would also want the character. Would he really "replace" Geno with Lora Croft if he couldn't nab him? I don't know his mentality, I'm not him, but I've never seen him like that.
Neither have I. I'm not at all implying that Sakurai would. I'm stating that I see it as very probable that SE could try to counter-offer someone they'd rather want in. At that point, Sakurai could try to further push for Geno, concede to take what they want, or continue to find some other compromise. Negotiations could fall through if neither side finds something that suits them.

My point isn't that Geno won't get in. My point is that SE having nothing to lose doesn't help Geno's case as much as it's assumed on this forum.

D

Deleted member

:ultsamus:: Light and Dark suits from Prime
:ultwario:: The Purple Wind
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pac-Man
:ultkrool:: Kaptain K. Rool
:ultluigi:: Mr. L
:ulttoonlink:: Outset Island Shrimp Shirt
:ultlucas:: Masked Man
:ultmario:: Wedding Dress
:ultisabelle:: Any of her casual outfits from HHD
:ultkingdedede:: Kirby 64 Dedede
:ultinkling:: Splatoon 2 outfits and hairstyles
:ultlink:: BotW Zora Armor and the Soldier's Armor
:ultmetaknight:: Morpho Knight
:ultganondorf:: TP Ganon
:ultzelda:: SS Zelda

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
RE stuff is actually prime material for DLC methinks. Kinda like Street Fighter, not many people are asking for it in Smash but it would be recieved very well and sell a lot based on how iconic RE is.

Oh, and if its Jill, her entrance, taunts and victory quotes should be "IM A MEMBER OF S.T.A.R.S.!!!" Just like in MvC2.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Snake: Old Snake
Yoshi: Yarn Yoshi
Luigi: MR. L
Peach: Wedding Dress
Daisy: Screw it bring on the sports outfit lol
King Dedede: Masked Dedede
Toon Link: Pajamas
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Ryu: Evil Ryu (by extension, Violent Ken)
K. Rool: Boxing outfit
Donkey Kong: Boxing outfit

There's more I'm forgetting.

Neither have I. I'm not at all implying that Sakurai would. I'm stating that I see it as very probable that SE could try to counter-offer someone they'd rather want in. At that point, Sakurai could try to further push for Geno, concede to take what they want, or continue to find some other compromise. Negotiations could fall through if neither side finds something that suits them.

My point isn't that Geno won't get in. My point is that SE having nothing to lose doesn't help Geno's case as much as it's assumed on this forum.
Yeah, all valid points.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Just give all pokemon characters scarfs.
Not Squirtle tho
He gets the shades

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace

Half of the hitboxes are literally his face. I had no idea it was that bad. I think the character design is just inherently flawed.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Unpopular opinion: While yes it sucks that Roy is bad I think it's a great way to represent Roy from Binding Blade by eternally gimping him in Smash with the sour spots. Roy is by far the worst lord for gameplay in FE and having a fundamentally broken moveset with close quarters hitboxes/damage and swordsman frame data reflects that. Roy's not one for overpowering the enemy, he's a tactician, he has to take what he's got and make the best of it despite being at a disadvantage because it's what he needs to do regardless if he wants to or not.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Shantae is one of the most discussed third party characters amongst the Smash community, she's pretty much Ridley 2.0 at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom