• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Real talk, I have no idea why so many people aren't cool with the idea of Leon or Dante being in Smash. I get that everyone has their preferances, but i don't get why some people see the idea as slander or something. I think they would be amazing additions, seeing as how both Resident Evil and Devil May Cry are beloved series by Capcom.
I would be cool with neither of those characters getting in since I love the games...but me being bias and a fan girl I would prefer Dante. And no we are not talking about Donte from DmC lol but real talk though DMC games were never on Nintendo consoles so I hope it’s a Cloud situation that DMC gams gets ported over to the switch. I highly doubt it but you never know.

StormC

Smash Hero
Speaking of characters from other companies, I realized, does Sega even have anyone really on the radar for Smash besides Sonic?

Konami has Bomberman, even Frogger.

Namco has Heihachi, Lloyd, and other relevant characters/IPs.

Square has Dragon Quest (and Sora if you want to count that), and the various characters under the Eidos banner.

Capcom has a veritable treasure trove of characters that don't need to be repeated.

But Sega really feels like it's missing a mascot character that could team up with Sonic. Even Bayonetta isn't really comparable. I guess there's Puyo Puyo and SMT...?

If Ken is in, you could legitimately have a "___ vs. Capcom" match-up, with the Capcom team being Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken. If Banjo or Dixie is in, we can even have Rare vs. Capcom!

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Real talk, I have no idea why so many people aren't cool with the idea of Leon or Dante being in Smash. I get that everyone has their preferances, but i don't get why some people see the idea as slander or something. I think they would be amazing additions, seeing as how both Resident Evil and Devil May Cry are beloved series by Capcom.
There’s a bunch of other viable Capcom reps such as Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, and Amaterasu that some people think are a better fit for Smash, compared to Dante and Leon. That, and the fact that some people are against the idea of having 3 unique reps from one 3rd party for various reasons (Capcom getting 3 unique characters before Square Enix gets 2, “robbing” a spot from a different 3rd party such as Ubisoft, Activision, an indie dev, etc.).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It just wasn't tightly made as RE4.
Subjective. I actually much prefer the inventory system of RE5 that requires faster thinking and reflexes than the part time job of organizing a suitcase in RE4.

I understand the argument that RE4 being designed from the ground up as a single player game makes it a better single player experience than RE5. And it is longer by a few chapters. But people don't seem to realize that they're inherently the same game under the visuals. As a huge RE nerd, it really does bother me that they're seen in such different lights. RE4 is where the RE franchise changed, not RE5.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Speaking of characters from other companies, I realized, does Sega even have anyone really on the radar for Smash besides Sonic?

Square has Dragon Quest (and Sora if you want to count that), and the various characters under the Eidos banner.

Capcom has a veritable treasure trove of characters that don't need to be repeated.

But Sega really feels like it's missing a mascot character that could team up with Sonic. Even Bayonetta isn't really comparable. I guess there's Puyo Puyo and SMT...?

If Ken is in, you could legitimately have a "___ vs. Capcom" match-up, with the Capcom team being Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken. If Banjo or Dixie is in, we can even have Rare vs. Capcom!
As someone who absolutely foams at the mouth at most of Sega's IPs... No, not really. It's mostly due in part to so many of them being stagnat for almost a decade. The only one I'd say actually has a half decent shot is Arle, since Puyo is very popular in Japan, but that's honestly about it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiights.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Akira from Virtua Fighter
Ai Ai From Super Monkey Ball
Samba De Amigo
Billy Hatcher
Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza
Technically Bayo is one
Nights
Also they Technically own Total War i believe, one of the go to RTS games.

Edit: go to either of the Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing games, pick a character, throw them in.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Well, um, uh...

............there's AiAi?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

MY BOY KAZUMA CHAAAAAN
*ahem*
Kazuma Kiryu would be a most delightful choice. Also a Majima echo maybe but his final Smash is Captain Falcon's but with the Majima-mobile from 3

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiights.
He said characters on the radar. NiGHTS is pretty far off the radar these days.

Trust me, I'd put half the damn Sega All Stars Roster in Smash if I could.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Subjective. I actually much prefer the inventory system of RE5 that requires faster thinking and reflexes than the part time job of organizing a suitcase in RE4.

I understand the argument that RE4 being designed from the ground up as a single player game makes it a better single player experience than RE5. And it is longer by a few chapters. But people don't seem to realize that they're inherently the same game under the visuals. As a huge RE nerd, it really does bother me that they're seen in such different lights. RE4 is where the RE franchise changed, not RE5.
Finally someone who has similar views as me when it comes to RE5

The game gets too much flack

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

While I personally find RE4 way better than any RE game that came after, you'd have to be insane not to recognize that Resident Evil changed forever with 4. In some ways it needed to, but I'm not sure if it needed to become an action game :/

Unfortunately I feel if RE got a rep in smash it would be Leon. He was in both 2 & 4 and both of those games have a bigger reputation with Nintendo than the rest in the series. I can at least dream of a Jill Valentine echo though :(

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Arle seems to have some notable support from Japan from what I've seen. Other than that, besides another Sonic character or Jeanne as a Bayonetta echo I don't really see too much support for a new Sega IP for a playable spot. But that might just be my own ignorance talking...

StormC

Smash Hero
Akira from Virtua Fighter
Ai Ai From Super Monkey Ball
Samba De Amigo
Billy Hatcher
Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza
Technically Bayo is one
Nights
Also they Technically own Total War i believe, one of the go to RTS games.
Billy Hatcher was a bomb though.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
He said characters on the radar. NiGHTS is pretty far off the radar these days.

Trust me, I'd put half the damn Sega All Stars Roster in Smash if I could.
I know.

I just bring up NiGHTS whenever I can because I ****ing want another NiGHTS game. The one on Wii was very lackluster, but I can still load up the original on my Saturn and enjoy myself.

Sega, please. For the love of all that's holy.

D

Deleted member

There’s a bunch of other viable Capcom reps such as Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, and Amaterasu that some people think are a better fit for Smash, compared to Dante and Leon. That, and the fact that some people are against the idea of having 3 unique reps from one 3rd party for various reasons (Capcom getting 3 unique characters before Square Enix gets 2, “robbing” a spot from a different 3rd party such as Ubisoft, Activision, an indie dev, etc.).
That first bit is subjective, Anyone can think a certian character would be better fitted as a third Capcom rep. It's true that DMC has had little to no history to with Nintendo consoles (unless you want to count the Project X games) but despite that, I think Dante would be a killer choice for a second Capcom game. Same with Leon, Ametarasu, Phoniex Wright, and a Monster Hunter. Everyone is entitled to their character of choice.

As for the second point, well if people want to complain about someone "stealing" their precious character's place on the roster, then that's their problem. That's nothing new to this fanbase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I know.

I just bring up NiGHTS whenever I can because I ****ing want another NiGHTS game. The one on Wii was very lackluster, but I can still load up the original on my Saturn and enjoy myself.

Ayyy, I make it a point to play NiGHTS at Christmas every year. Both the main game and the Christmas Demo disk.

Seriously, Christmas NiGHTS is the single greatest demo to ever exist. The amount of content in there is insane.

And then the HD remake goes and includes NONE if it. I know it was based off the PS2 port but still...

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

The only mascot character(s) that could team up with Sonic...are more Sonic characters

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
While I personally find RE4 way better than any RE game that came after, you'd have to be insane not to recognize that Resident Evil changed forever with 4. In some ways it needed to, but I'm not sure if it needed to become an action game :/

Unfortunately I feel if RE got a rep in smash it would be Leon. He was in both 2 & 4 and both of those games have a bigger reputation with Nintendo than the rest in the series. I can at least dream of a Jill Valentine echo though :(
I used to spend every day on the Capcom Unity forums. The debate of RE4 vs. RE5 was a very, very common topic that never quite died. There was a majority that clumped RE4 with other older REs and RE5 was the outlier, solely due to co-op.

Jill is a very close runner-up to Leon due to Revelations being a system seller on the 3DS. REmake and Revelations were both originally Nintendo exclusives, while RE2 was a port and RE4 was an exclusive. The sheer universal praise of RE4, though, gives Leon the edge.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Joker for the Sega rep pls

Kiryu would be good too. He could pull a heat move on Yoshi for committing tax evasion

Also Leon over Jill because Jill has Mahvel like Chris

D

Deleted member

Y'know what? Why not have both Persona and Shin Megami Tensei in Smash? Joker and Flynn are my nominees.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I actually liked the tikis, especially with their musical instrument theme.

As far as Square Enix is concerned, aside from Sora since he's Disney, Lara Croft would definitely be my preferred choice. She is without a doubt the single most iconic gaming character that isn't either on the roster already or owned by Sony or Microsoft, so getting her in would definitely drive home the fact that this is a roster of gaming all-stars.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Also Leon over Jill because Jill has Mahvel like Chris
Yeah, but MvC3's Jill sucked, and MvC2 was 18 years ago.

I would love to see Jill's MvC2 moveset brought into Smash. She'd be my new co-main with Daisy.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I know.

Iizuka wants to make one, Sega just needs to greenlight it. Come on Sega, you know you want to.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I actually liked the tikis, especially with their musical instrument theme.

As far as Square Enix is concerned, aside from Sora since he's Disney, Lara Croft would definitely be my preferred choice. She is without a doubt the single most iconic gaming character that isn't either on the roster already or owned by Sony or Microsoft, so getting her in would definitely drive home the fact that this is a roster of gaming all-stars.
Lara Croft not being in PS All Stars despite her being one of the PILLARS of the PS1 was yet another mistake that game made.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Squenix, Squenix, Squenix, and I still literally only want Geno.
Put in every FF character and DQ character as long as I get Geno and I'll be totally cool with it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Iizuka wants to make one, Sega just needs to greenlight it. Come on Sega, you know you want to.
They should have made a 3DS game. Take advantage of the 3D to differentiate the different layers of foreground.

It's one of the only concepts, in my mind, that made sense with glasses-free 3D and they never even tried.

StormC

Smash Hero
Lara Croft not being in PS All Stars despite her being one of the PILLARS of the PS1 was yet another mistake that game made.
I mean... Smash Ultimate is so far already a better Sony crossover than that game ever was.

I'd even go as far to argue that the PS1 is better represented than the N64. :p

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I mean... Smash Ultimate is so far already a better Sony crossover than that game ever was.

I'd even go as far to argue that the PS1 is better represented than the N64. :p
I had such high hopes for that game to be the competition that fuels sakurai's ambition to really push smash above and beyond in order to overcome... I mean he did that in spite of PSASBR falling flat on its face anyway but imagine if the motivation was there..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom