• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Same can be said for Waluigi and Lyn, even if Sakurai didn't said anything outright about them. I think Skull Kid has a chance but I don't think he's the only one in the same boat with Ridley (:ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultdarksamus:)
I agree, but we still haven't seen his Assist Trophy yet, so he has better chance than Waluigi or Lyn who have already been confirmed as Assist Trophies for Ultimate.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, he did have... this to say about Waluigi.

https://i.redd.it/0zqmz5gto4r01.jpg

"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle" seems to about sum up his opinion of the character. :p

EDIT: Damn image breaking...
Oh, yeah, that one is a classic. It's a good reminder that not every character with fan support is going to be playable.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
K. Rool and the Kremlings definitely should return and the Tikis and Snowmads were bland enemies with blander leaders. Sadly I've accepted the Rareware magic touch on DKC will always be gone but they could give us the same substance in terms of characters, gameplay (TF a big improvement in that department), and other features solely missed (i.e: Animal Buddies)

It would conclude this trilogy excellently to bring back the original and best villain from the series alongside forgotten gameplay aspects.

Also Lanky would add so much as a playable Kong. Just saying...

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Even in this drought of information lets just appreciate for a moment we have LESS THAN 2 MONTHS until this game releases, E3 felt like last week and time has flew by. Gonna be honest, I don't remember the last time I was this excited for a game. No matter what characters, modes and stages are left to be revealed I will be satisfied as we have been truely spoiled (yes even if we somehow don't get Bandana Dee :p) this time and I think that is something we should all appreciate as a community.

God, I'm so damn excited for this.

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool and the Kremlings definitely should return and the Tikis and Snowmads were bland enemies with blander leaders. Sadly I've accepted the Rareware magic touch on DKC will always be gone but they could give us the same substance in terms of characters, gameplay (TF a big improvement in that department), and other features solely missed (i.e: Animal Buddies)

It would conclude this trilogy excellently to bring back the original and best villain from the series alongside forgotten gameplay aspects.

I actually like the Snowmads quite a bit even if I couldn't shake the feeling that they were just Arctic Kremlings at times. Even Bashmaster was a pretty cool boss design and would have made a cool leader to them. It's just... Fredrik is completely disposable.

I think a big thing for me and the Retro games is how loud and busy they are. The SNES trilogy has a certain intimacy to it, the camera is zoomed in closer and there aren't constant sound effects every second with lots going on screen. Retro wanted to expand the scope of the gameplay, and they've made two great platformers, but there has been something lost in the transition to a modern era.

Still, give us another game with Kremlings and Animal Buddies and I won't complain, even if I miss being able to play as non-DK Kongs. If 3D World can figure it out, surely DKC can.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I could see Skull Kid getting in the same way Ridley did. Sakurai made it perfectly cleared that he was a Assist Trophy and not a playable character when he showed him off in the pic of the day back then so he knows he's popular. So I could see Sakurai making it up to the Skull Kid fans like did with the Ridley fans for Ultimate.
Sakurai did the same for every assist trophy, including the deconfirmed Waluigi, Takamaru and Ashley.
Also Skull Kid didn't have this much support until Loz18 and the chairs.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh, yeah, that one is a classic. It's a good reminder that not every character with fan support isn't going to be playable.
I think the reason characters like Ridley and King K. Rool got in wasn't just because of their massive fan support, but because of their importance to their series and Nintendo as a whole. If they were just one off villains, then Sakurai wouldn't have put them in the roster in the first place regardless of their massive fan support. Those two are the two biggest Nintendo villains behind Bowser and Ganondorf, so they have too big of a legacy to just be over looked.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been replaying the Mega Man games after going through 11 through the Legacy Collections.

Man, I really need to know what the Mega Man song selection is this time. I hope we get more X tunes than just the highway theme.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hot Take: people might be sleeping on Andy (advance wars), Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Tingle, Paper Mario and Travis Touchdown. I don't think they are all likely, but they are all in a certain range of possible but not ultra popular online (a small percentage of overall smashers)

There's so much hype around a certain group of 5-7 fighters that people seem so sure they know what's left.

The trend with reveals so far seems to be misdirection. Sakurai is trying to surprise us. Some people catch on quick, but I've watched a lot of reaction videos that follow these trends -

Reveal Trailer - Splatoon? Splatoon 1 port? Wait. SMASH!?!

Without the music leak for Simon people would have been surprised, like they were for Richter.

K. rool was legit sakurai having a laugh at us (from what I can gather, he and his team watch/have watched reaction videos. he voices dedede) with the dedede impostor gag

Isabelle - Animal Crossing??? Smash!!? Oh she's just a Villager ech-wait she's not an echo! Tom Nook for smash? wait... ANIMAL CROSSING?
I agree that there are certain characters not talked about that may become incredibly important--in particular, I think Travis Touchdown has the best chance to become our first indie character, moreso than Shovel Knight (now an assist) and Shantae. Very popular with Japanese audiences, and is inextricably tied with Nintendo, being a part in the first press conference for the Nintendo Switch. That being said, with the limited amount of newcomers we have left, and the characters that are rumored, I think he'll likely be DLC. Though, Travis Strikes Again comes in January 2019, so if they want to advertise it I don't think DLC will be that early. That is something important to note.

Also, for personal indulgence, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the general forums hyping Banjo & Kazooie for the base game, rather than DLC--the timing aligns perfectly, but my doubt is highly dependent on how many characters we have left. If there's one unique character outside of what has been rumored by Verge who's most likely to be in the base, it's them.

And I feel like Tingle has perhaps a similar amount of evidence to Skull Kid, despite being talked about far less, namely both being currently missing assist trophies. Tingle may have less moveset potential (but with artistic license could certainly be a character), but I feel like is more recognizable outside of Smash circles. That being said, as I generally feel like Ultimate's more of a game for the fans than appealing to outside, given everything we know so far, I still think Skull Kid, given his high popularity especially in the Brawl days, has a higher chance.

(and while I don't feel it should be necessary to say every time, I'm not talking about facts, these are my personal opinions)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

While i can't speak for the tikis.... the snowmads were great enemies, with tons of personality and character and people that find them boring but the kremlings amazing have had wayy too much spoons of nostalgia on their breakfast. (with maybe teh exception of the baboons :/ that weren't even polar creatures)

I wouldn't mind the kremlings coming back and it would be kinda cool.. but no need to downplay the snowmads like that :/ and i would ove if they keep them as alt enemies on the future lore.

Just sayin

Noipoi

Howdy!
Speaking of playing other games, a couple days ago I started playing Earthbound for the first time with my little sister, but I had to stop.
Whenever we play rpg's I like to do voices (i'm a top tier voice actor (no i'm not) ) but I got sick the day after and my voice acting capabilities have been seriously hindered.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Pfft, forget that nonsense. I vote we start holding tournaments for Shrek Super Slam while we wait.
**** that. Let's do Gundam Wing Endless Duel!

I need to use my very specific talent at a 1996 Japan-only SNES fighting game at some point in my life.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Even if they aren't as memorable as K. Rool, the Tikis and Snowmads are severely underappreciated. Instead of slapping on K. Rool and the Kremlings as the games' antagonists, Nintendo made a whole new set of enemies and bosses, none of which are really as bad as people say they are.

I get that K. Rool is popular, but like I said earlier, I think Smash is genuinely the only reason why people want/wanted the Kremlings back so much. If we were in an alternate universe where K. Rool made it in Smash and both DKCR games featured the Kremlings as the antagonists, I can almost guarantee you that people would've complained of overexposure. "K. Rool is literally Bowser 2.0. Can't we get a unique villain for once instead reusing the same ones over and over?"

StormC

Smash Hero
You have ten seconds to post your favorite Mega Man game and your favorite song from the series that you'd like to see in Smash.

(my favorites are actually 2, 10 and X, but I do like 6 a lot)

D

Deleted member

i want to send nomura into the sun for this roxas fight
What difficulty are you on? I'm slowly working on the KH collections myself (I nearly finished 1.5 last year, but restarted it a week or so ago to play that sweet, sweet 60 FPS version on PS4 instead), and I'm kinda scared to try any of the games above normal, lol.

Speaking of playing other games, a couple days ago I started playing Earthbound for the first time with my little sister, but I had to stop.
Whenever we play rpg's I like to do voices (i'm a top tier voice actor (no i'm not) ) but I got sick the day after and my voice acting capabilities have been seriously hindered.
What do you think of what you've played so far? I always love seeing people try the series. (Also, hope you're feeling better! Just getting over being sick myself.)

D

Deleted member

I actually just order Golden Sun on Amazon. Hope it's good.
I agree that there are certain characters not talked about that may become incredibly important--in particular, I think Travis Touchdown has the best chance to become our first indie character, moreso than Shovel Knight (now an assist) and Shantae. Very popular with Japanese audiences, and is inextricably tied with Nintendo, being a part in the first press conference for the Nintendo Switch. That being said, with the limited amount of newcomers we have left, and the characters that are rumored, I think he'll likely be DLC. Though, Travis Strikes Again comes in January 2019, so if they want to advertise it I don't think DLC will be that early. That is something important to note.

Also, for personal indulgence, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the general forums hyping Banjo & Kazooie for the base game, rather than DLC--the timing aligns perfectly, but my doubt is highly dependent on how many characters we have left. If there's one unique character outside of what has been rumored by Verge who's most likely to be in the base, it's them.

And I feel like Tingle has perhaps a similar amount of evidence to Skull Kid, despite being talked about far less, namely both being currently missing assist trophies. Tingle may have less moveset potential (but with artistic license could certainly be a character), but I feel like is more recognizable outside of Smash circles. That being said, as I generally feel like Ultimate's more of a game for the fans than appealing to outside, given everything we know so far, I still think Skull Kid, given his high popularity especially in the Brawl days, has a higher chance.

(and while I don't feel it should be necessary to say every time, I'm not talking about facts, these are my personal opinions)
If you ask me, the characters I feel aren't being talked about enough are Leon, Dante, and Ryu Hayabusa. EDIT: A Dragon Quest character too.
Anyone feeling fat and sassy?
Uhh...no? Not really?

Last edited by a moderator:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I’m not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but what if the E3 Demo was our final roster? Wouldn’t that be a crazy roster? What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

I’m not sure if anyone has asked this yet, but what if the E3 Demo was our final roster? Wouldn’t that be a crazy roster? What do you guys think?
Roster was a 10/10 at E3, so no complaints on my end.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the demo...uh...no Shulk's an issue, but I’ve still got Ness and Ryu. Solid 7/10 roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Even if they aren't as memorable as K. Rool, the Tikis and Snowmads are severely underappreciated. Instead of slapping on K. Rool and the Kremlings as the games' antagonists, Nintendo made a whole new set of enemies and bosses, none of which are really as bad as people say they are.

I get that K. Rool is popular, but like I said earlier, I think Smash is genuinely the only reason why people want/wanted the Kremlings back so much. If we were in an alternate universe where K. Rool made it in Smash and both DKCR games featured the Kremlings as the antagonists, I can almost guarantee you that people would've complained of overexposure. "K. Rool is literally Bowser 2.0. Can't we get a unique villain for once instead reusing the same ones over and over?"
People were complaining about the lack of Kremlings in DKCR ever since it was announced. I know I was, although I was hopeful it would just be a one time thing and that they would be back in future games. Them being gone again in Tropical Freeze is what made me actually worried about their future.

If Miyamoto and Tanabe are any indication, if it wasn't for the overwhelming fan outcry, it's very possible the Kremlings and K. Rool would have vanished into thin air akin to the likes of Wart or Captain Syrup outside of occasional Smash cameos. While I liked the Snowmads (the Tikis were mostly forgettable but not awful or anything), all of the attempts to replace the main villain have failed, even going back to Jungle Beat. If it ain't broke and all that...

Noipoi

Howdy!
You have ten seconds to post your favorite Mega Man game and your favorite song from the series that you'd like to see in Smash.
That's physically impossible for me because i've never played a Mega Man game.

What do you think of what you've played so far? I always love seeing people try the series. (Also, hope you're feeling better! Just getting over being sick myself.)
I only got up to Twoson, before you get to the happy village. It's pretty wacky, and kinda hard. I'm still getting the hang of the battle mechanics.
The whole game has a really out-there feel to it, if that makes sense. I like it so far, but I haven't gotten far enough to really judge.
(i'm still sick and I hate it)

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Still disappointed Wart and Shy Guy aren't playable characters. Shy Guy would be S tier if given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom