• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Why would you do this to me Shish?

Namco Museum was my childhood, I never even considered its potential as a stage.

But now...

Now I want it.
SO. BAD.

I just have this mental image of Ridley cowering in Bayonetta's shadow, but then suddenly another shadow envelops Bayonetta, and it's Toon Link.
Then Toon Link straight up murders Bayonetta, and then he and Ridley become best friends.

iirc, the reason people think Bayo was a lie is because data related to her character attributes could be found in Smash 4's data as far back as 2-3 weeks after the ballot began.
Not sure on the validity of that statement however.
As far as I am aware all that was found was ZSS' data copied over into a placeholder slot, which people theorized was to use her as a base for Bayonetta.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
:ulttoonlink:'s best friends are :ultjigglypuff: and :ultwolf: and you can pry this baseless headcanon from my cold, lifeless hands.
I used to be quite sad that Toon Link never got a role in the SSE and was hidden away so deep within Brawl. Nowadays I find it quite ironic that Sakurai shows him off before :ultganondorf::ultsheik::ultzelda: on the site updates, Is now the Link with the most playable appearances in Smash (if you count OoT Adult Link, TP and BotW Link separate) and now he's on the front cover of the Smash Ultimate boxart too.

My boy has come a long way.... :`)

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I was really excited for the new way music is handled in this game, as I thought it would prevent all the great Pac-Man music from being trapped on the worst looking stage in the game.
Rip Pac-Maze...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ocarina of Time Link appeared in 3DS as a trophy.
I used to be quite sad that Toon Link never got a role in the SSE and was hidden away so deep within Brawl. Nowadays I find it quite ironic that Sakurai shows him off before :ultganondorf::ultsheik::ultzelda: on the site updates, Is now the Link with the most appearances in Smash (if you count OoT, TP and BotW Link separate) and now he's on the front cover of the Smash Ultimate boxart too.

My boy has come a long way.... :`)

D

Deleted member

Technically, the Link who appears the most in Smash is Dark Link.

-In Melee as an event rival.
-In Brawl as a skin for TP and WW Link
-The same in Smash 4
-Maybe in Ultimate too as a skin.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Technically, the Link who appears the most in Smash is Dark Link.

-In Melee as an event rival.
-In Brawl as a skin for TP and WW Link
-The same in Smash 4
-Maybe in Ultimate too as a skin.
I think he's already confirmed for :ultyounglink: and :ultlink:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I was really excited for the new way music is handled in this game, as I thought it would prevent all the great Pac-Man music from being trapped on the worst looking stage in the game.
Rip Pac-Maze...
If custom stages return, we could still make a PAC-MAN stage and put a song there.

I'm really hoping that I'll be able to recreate some of my favorite Smash 4 custom stages in Ultimate. Though I made over 100 of them, so it'd probably take a while.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
My vision on Geno's personality

"That's “STAR ROAD”, my fluffy little friend ..."
lol
Is it just me or the mispelled Star Road joke happend multiple times in the game? Why does it appear only once among Geno's scripts? Is the list complete?
Anyway, that's a side of Geno's personality I'd like to be explored more: trying to be serious at any cost, but has those obsessions about everything must be perfect and if you do something that's not perfect (such as mispelling the name) he will annoy you like an old man pointing out your errors.

"Say Bowser kidnapped you. Without the aid of the Star Road, you'd probably never be rescued!"
Another interesting side of Geno's personality. He knows other people's wishes and fears, and he can get in empathy with them; despite this, since he wants to appear as the serious guy, he often tries to hide his emotions, so he appears to be cold and just interested to his mission when he's not.
The way he explains this to Toadstool (I suppose, I can't remember the context from the actual game), he knows what her main concern is and uses it as an example to give more emphasis to his explanation.

Anyway, I think he's a mysterious guy and that's why we know little about his personality, that's part of the character and it's intentional. On the other hand, he tries so bad to be serious and edgy about his mission, so much that at times he looks funny.

On a side note:
"Even IF we defeat Exor... There will be OTHER weapon beasts to follow him. Your castle is at the entrance point to YOUR world. In short...they'll be back! Is that what you want?"
That would be awesome! Now I want Super Mario RPG 2 with a plot centered on Weapon Beasts.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Could have even been a regular trophy, for all we know. That's how Inkling's trophy worked, after all. Was DLC.
No, no it couldn't have. That was specific character work done that was skeletal work based upon Zero Suit Samus.

It was strict gameplay work. Whether she was started as an AT or was already decided before the ballot, her proper character work was done before the ballot even started. It takes way more than a week to get that much done alone. Especially with licensing. Sakurai basically told a white lie here. Bayonetta wasn't chosen because of the ballot so much as happen to be voted high on the ballot as is. So she is still the most feasible one on the ballot, it just wasn't the reason she got in.

D

Deleted member

lol
Is it just me or the mispelled Star Road joke happend multiple times in the game? Why does it appear only once among Geno's scripts? Is the list complete?
Anyway, that's a side of Geno's personality I'd like to be explored more: trying to be serious at any cost, but has those obsessions about everything must be perfect and if you do something that's not perfect (such as mispelling the name) he will annoy you like an old man pointing out your errors.

"Say Bowser kidnapped you. Without the aid of the Star Road, you'd probably never be rescued!"
Another interesting side of Geno's personality. He knows other people's wishes and fears, and he can get in empathy with them; despite this, since he wants to appear as the serious guy, he often tries to hide his emotions, so he appears to be cold and just interested to his mission when he's not.
The way he explains this to Toadstool (I suppose, I can't remember the context from the actual game), he knows what her main concern is and uses it as an example to give more emphasis to his explanation.

Anyway, I think he's a mysterious guy and that's why we know little about his personality, that's part of the character and it's intentional. On the other hand, he tries so bad to be serious and edgy about his mission, so much that at times he looks funny.

On a side note:
"Even IF we defeat Exor... There will be OTHER weapon beasts to follow him. Your castle is at the entrance point to YOUR world. In short...they'll be back! Is that what you want?"
That would be awesome! Now I want Super Mario RPG 2 with a plot centered on Weapon Beasts.
Yeah, Geno is like Silver from Sonic in that regard.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Rip Pac-Maze...
Im so sad Pac-Maze and Poke Floats dont seem to be returning. I loved Pac-Maze and my boyfriend really wanted poke floats back.

On the topic of Link though anyone else not like how Fierce Deity looks in this game? His costume last time looked decently close imo but the color here looks bad to me and I couldn't even tell it was Fierce Deity outside the face

D

Deleted member

Im so sad Pac-Maze and Poke Floats dont seem to be returning. I loved Pac-Maze and my boyfriend really wanted poke floats back.

On the topic of Link though anyone else not like how Fierce Deity looks in this game? His costume last time looked decently close imo but the color here looks bad to me and I couldn't even tell it was Fierce Deity outside the face
Yeah, i prefer Fierce Deity in Smash 4.

I got hyped when Brinstar Depths was confirmed to return, and when i realized that stage morphing would make me able to finally mix both Brinstarts into one.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't see what's wrong but Link's alt costumes in general don't really look good overall in Ultimate.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Probably because the actual Fierce Deity Link is in the game as a certain character's final smash...

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman

lol

On a side note:
I mean, Geno never got much development in his own game. My personal reason for wanting him in is giving a wasted character concept another looking at. Based off of what little quotes he had in SMRPG, he seems more like a defiant, ballsy shonen-hero type of character. The way he greets Smithy like "YO, SMITHY!", as well as immediately dropping his cool-guy act to say "Chill out!" in response to Bowyer going crazy.

He knows a lot about stuff, and his pretty enigmatic in his own right, but he is still capable of being a goof.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
No, no it couldn't have. That was specific character work done that was skeletal work based upon Zero Suit Samus.

It was strict gameplay work. Whether she was started as an AT or was already decided before the ballot, her proper character work was done before the ballot even started. It takes way more than a week to get that much done alone. Especially with licensing. Sakurai basically told a white lie here. Bayonetta wasn't chosen because of the ballot so much as happen to be voted high on the ballot as is. So she is still the most feasible one on the ballot, it just wasn't the reason she got in.
The character skeleton was in the files too? I only heard about the placeholder slot till now

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
sakurai clearly has time travel
sakurai is actually the master
Sakurai is the Master... Sword. What with the time travel. Which makes the Master Sword sentient...
Sentient swords...

(Broken image description: His name is Exor. He's the rapper's angel; Traveling blade with the Axem Rangers.)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
For at's being playable. Just set a flag saying if playable version is in a battle, do not load that at. Sobthe random at list would drop by 1.

So having them come back as playable is possible. The question will they.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sakurai is the Master... Sword. What with the time travel. Which makes the Master Sword sentient...
Sentient swords...

(Broken image description: His name is Exor. He's the rapper's angel; Traveling blade with the Axem Rangers.)
Huh.

I thought you were going to Fi with that.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
For at's being playable. Just set a flag saying if playable version is in a battle, do not load that at. Sobthe random at list would drop by 1.

For some they could have different outfits I think. Like with Krystal instead of the tribal look she could be in her Assault outfit

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm slowly catching up on this thread, and I don't believe anybody answered your question, so without further ado:

At the 5:52 mark. Tanabe discusses how he and Miyamoto came to the conclusion of "does K. Rool really need to return?" and that they asked Retro to come up with new enemies.
I knew about this, but it isn't really proof that Nintendo outright refused to let Retro use the character in their games.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

The Ballot was so much more for Ultimate than Smash 4's DLC cycle. Bayonetta may have done well on the Ballot, but that was more post-creation justification.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Donkey Kong Country cannot truly "return" without its main villain.

The time to experiment and take risks is not when the series only gets a game every 3-4 years and hasn't gotten a proper installment in over a decade.
DKCR and TF were absolutely proper installments.

This is just being asinine at this point.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
according to my calculations **** that
That got a legitimate chuckle out of me.

Another game I never finished. Should I force my way through Skyward Sword to say I beat it, or go back to Horizon Zero Dawn and start over since I have no idea where I was before?

StormC

Smash Hero
DKCR and TF were absolutely proper installments.

This is just being asinine at this point.
"Hasn't gotten a proper installment in over a decade" was referring to 2010 when DKCR came out, given that DKC3 came out in 1996.

I love the Retro games and am very happy they've kept the DKC brand alive in the modern era. But it's always felt to me like Nintendo saying "all we need is the bare minimum, the Kongs, Animal Buddies, and Kremlings aren't important. We can do better than Rare." Tropical Freeze moved the needle on that somewhat though, and K. Rool in Smash is obviously a very promising sign, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious about the series going forward since it's been 4.5 years since Tropical Freeze came out and all we know is a vague statement from Reggie that a new DK game is coming... maybe.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Ballot was so much more for Ultimate than Smash 4's DLC cycle. Bayonetta may have done well on the Ballot, but that was more post-creation justification.
I'm pretty much convinced the ballot meant squat for Wii U, TBH. DLC characters were most likely planned upon from the beginning given how long it takes to make them, so I totally believe Bayo being the "most realizable" was an excuse. To each their own, though: Just cause that's what I believe doesn't make it true.

Also, I guess images are busted right now. Tried to change my avatar a minute ago and now it's broken. :p

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sentient swords...

Every time I drive and rhyme a rhyme I damage my right eye more than nine times ninety-nine.

It hurts.

Anyway, Geno's personality is never explored that deeply unfortunately. The way I saw him was as a being 100% devoted to his mission, but that doesn't stop him from being a bit of a dork (Yo, Smithy!).

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Donkey Kong Country cannot truly "return" without its main villain.

The time to experiment and take risks is not when the series only gets a game every 3-4 years and hasn't gotten a proper installment in over a decade.
Look. I understand the desire for K. Rool, and how the Kremlings in general are a much more iconic and arguably memorable baddie for DK than the enemies in DCKR.

But they absolutely are proper installments. And they're probably the best games in the series. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Hasn't gotten a proper installment in over a decade" was referring to 2010 when DKCR came out, given that DKC3 came out in 1996.

I love the Retro games and am very happy they've kept the DKC brand alive in the modern era. But it's always felt to me like Nintendo saying "all we need is the bare minimum, the Kongs, Animal Buddies, and Kremlings aren't important. We can do better than Rare." Tropical Freeze moved the needle on that somewhat though, and K. Rool in Smash is obviously a very promising sign, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious about the series going forward since it's been 4.5 years since Tropical Freeze came out and all we know is a vague statement from Reggie that a new DK game is coming... maybe.
Ah okay. I misunderstood.

Cause I'll defend TF to my grave, lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Just because a game doesn't use all the previous side characters doesn't mean it's "bare minimum".

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

entirely possible to just take the assist trophy out of rotation entirely. and honestly some ATs (Alucard) would be easy to make playable as itd just be a matter of button mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom