• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Remember when Raiden was hated by Metal Gear fans?

Yeah... We changed a lot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, the big thing with Korby characters in Smash is that they play and feel just like they do in, well, Kirby games.
BD in SSF2 feels nothing like he is in Korby and is just a cluster**** of moves because SSF2 made those horrendous Mega Man and Chibi-Robo movesets because they think "big number of references=good moveset".
They also made an aerial Isaac which is... puzzling, to say the least
I like Isaac's moves a lot but his whole set feels like they worked way too hard to make him "not just another anime swordsman". It's just a bunch of moves bungled up together and feels weird to play as.

Pakky

Smash Hero
YR to:

-Geno, Ken, BWD and Shantae are in
-Mallow is an A.T.
-Spirits is a glorified Smash Run
-Skull Kid is a boss
-Isaac doesn't appear in the game
-Yes, yes,YES, and YES

- Well cool

-OOOF but Alright

-OOF, makes but , OOF

-Slam Jammed and OOF!!!!!

Last edited:

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
YR to:

-Mallow is an A.T.
-Skull Kid is a boss
-YES, don't really care, pretty good, and YES
-Cool enough I guess
-I liked Smash Run but oof
-Could work out to be pretty cool!
-I don't care at all for Isaac, but I'd feel sorry for his fans.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Remember when Raiden was hated by Metal Gear fans?

Yeah... We changed a lot.
Why would MGS fans have anything against this guy?

EDIT: Goddammit, Smashboards. Your broken images this morning ruined my Mortal Kombat joke.

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai Calls Horizon Zero Dawn ‘Stress Free’ & Breath of the Wild ‘Tiresome’

sakurai hates Zelda theory confirmed

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
This is been bugging me for ages and I need an answer: what's Geno's personality supposed to be like? This isn't meant to be a criticism - half of the Smash roster has no discernible personality. I'm just wondering as I never played SMRPG and half his fanart gives off an edgelord vibe (as does fanart for any character) while the other half is more light-hearted and wholesome.
Geno was never really explored as a character in Super Mario RPG, I mean even Mallow got more development then Geno did. He was kind of just there to drive the central plot forward and explain things. He was kind just a plot point more then he was a character. That has left his character up to interpretation.

I feel like Bayonetta won for real.

The thing was that most of the votes where ****posting because "le too mature for Le Smesh XD".

And the joke ended up ****ing the ballot.
The funny thing is I went back and watched some of the initial reactions to Bayonetta in Smash 4 and the generally reaction was extremely postitve at the initial announcement even from those that weren't crazy for her. The hatred for Bayonetta now seems to come down more to circumstance then the character herself. Sakurai and his team did not continue the patching for long enough to address the problem so Bayonetta turned into a symbol of Smash 4 failing. Which honestly I think is a silly thing to hate a character because a poor implementation into one game. I never really played any of her games but when I seeing people outright wanting Bayonetta gone on the basis on a bad initial implementation is kind of silly to me.

As far as the Ballot is concerned people are being a bit too conspiratorial about the whole thing in my view. Based on the evidence does it seem likely that Bayonetta was already planned, yes. Frankly, if Bayonetta hadn't done well in the ballot they probably just would not have mentioned the ballot at all during her original announcement. Instead she probably did well enough that they could still make the point of the ballot in Bayonetta's announcement as a extra, I don't really believe they were lying, being opportunist maybe, but the loudest detractors also seem to project their hatred for the character in Smash 4 to make the assumption that everything surrounding her is some kind of lie by default.

All I'm saying is those kind of individuals tend to jump the absolute worst conclusion they can. To me it makes more sense that they took advantage of the results of the ballot then to assume they intentionally forged the results of the ballot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

YR to:

-Mallow is an A.T.
-Skull Kid is a boss
-Don't like Ken, but the rest are rad. BWD especially would be very, very cool IMO.
-Cool. Shame for those who wanted him, though.
-Not even mad, Smash Run is great.
-Not all that surprised, TBH.
-A shame, but I kinda doubted it in the first place.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

That reminds me. I need to go back and beat that game.

Like, I appreciate it for what it is. I can tell it's a great game. But Breath of the Wild stole me away, then I got into (and disappointed by) ME: Andromeda, and when I went back to my PS4, it was for Nier: Automata.

I don't remember how far I got into Horizon, but I remember enjoying it. I also remember "icons on map" overload, so I'll probably have to restart. Ugh.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Oh boy where do I start:
-Fights with a stick instead of a spear. That thing hs less range than MK's sword it's really ****ing dumb
-Half of his moveset is Parasol/Beam abilities that don't fit well with his playstyle
-The generic as **** BAir
-Spear Throw is slow and awkward
-WHAT'S THE POINT OF A SPEAR USER WITHOUT REACH
I really do like his moveset, but I have to agree the spear throw is horrible lol. More range would definitely be nice

D

Deleted member

Geno was never really explored as a character in Super Mario RPG, I mean even Mallow got more development then Geno did. He was kind of just there to drive the central plot forward and explain things. He was kind just a plot point more then he was a character. That has left his character up to interpretation.

The funny thing is I went back and watched some of the initial reactions to Bayonetta in Smash 4 and the generally reaction was extremely postitve at the initial announcement even from those that weren't crazy for her. The hatred for Bayonetta now seems to come down more to circumstance then the character herself. Sakurai and his team did not continue the patching for long enough to address the problem so Bayonetta turned into a symbol of Smash 4 failing. Which honestly I think is a silly thing to hate a character because a poor implementation into one game. I never really played any of her games but when I seeing people outright wanting Bayonetta gone on the basis on a bad initial implementation is kind of silly to me.

As far as the Ballot is concerned people are being a bit too conspiratorial about the whole thing in my view. Based on the evidence does it seem likely that Bayonetta was already planned, yes. Frankly, if Bayonetta hadn't done well in the ballot they probably just would not have mentioned the ballot at all during her original announcement. Instead she probably did well enough that they could still make the point of the ballot in Bayonetta's announcement as a extra, I don't really believe they were lying, being opportunist maybe, but the loudest detractors also seem to project their hatred for the character in Smash 4 to make the assumption that everything surrounding her is some kind of lie by default.

All I'm saying is those kind of individuals tend to jump the absolute worst conclusion they can. To me it makes more sense that they took advantage of the results of the ballot then to assume they intentionally forged the results of the ballot.
I feel like Bayonetta won for real too.

Also: your reactions to...

...Spirits mode being narrated by Stan Lee? (the man knows japanese)
... Kojima getting a trophy?
... Race to the Finish returning?
... Goemon joining as a fighter?
... Segata Sanshiro getting an assist trophy?
... Mute City returning, but looking like in Mario Kart 8?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
YR to:

-Mallow is an A.T.
-Skull Kid is a boss
-Geno and BWD: :) Others: okay :ultness:
-Cool!
-oof
-OOF, I didn't see this coming with him never being fought in MM and so it wouldn't fit, though it'd make sense if it's a Metal Mario situation and can be unlocked as a playable character
-Oof though I wouldn't care that much tbh, however I am interested in playing Golden Sun

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is this a meme post, or is there an actual Famitsu article where he says this? I can't comment on Horizon Zero Dawn, but Zelda being tiresome? I think that comes down to how you play it. I actually stopped playing it for like three months because things like the Koroks started to overwhelm me a bit, but honestly, that's only because I tried tackling it with a completionist mindset. If you don't aim for that and simply explore at your own leisure and be willing to simply go at your own pace, I don't think BotW is tiresome at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it fixes a lot of the problems big open world games have, but eh, to each their own.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just gonna put it out there right now that if your spear moveset is not at LEAST as interesting as Sin Kiske's flag, I aint interested.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Bayonetta won for real too.

Also: your reactions to...

...Spirits mode being narrated by Stan Lee? (the man knows japanese)
... Kojima getting a trophy?
... Race to the Finish returning?
... Goemon joining as a fighter?
... Segata Sanshiro getting an assist trophy?
... Mute City returning, but looking like in Mario Kart 8?
-Why? Both weird choise and I don't want any narration in Smash... unless it's done by Xander Mobus.
-...ok
-Cool.
-Coool. I know a few people that would really be happy with this.
-About damn time.
-Fine by me.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Look, at this point it's obvious the ballot's main priority was likely to gauge for future games like Ultimate and not so much for DLC. The ballot itself even said it could be used for that purpose. That's pretty generally accepted at this point.

Even still, what part of Bayonetta being the winner was a "lie"? Are we forgetting the infamous little astrik in the corner here?

Among realizeable characters. (You all know what the image is, dangit Smashboards.)

Who are we to say what was considered realizeable at the time? For all we know, the vast majority of characters who we're getting now really weren't realizeable at the time, given the time constraints and other factors we could never hope to understand. .

We were never lied to. People just quite literally didn't read the fine print. Perhaps that can be argued to be a bit underhanded, but that doesn't make it a lie or manipulative. She was just the most realizeable pick of the time that had popularity backing her. How else would you introduce her? "Oh hey she wasn't the most popular character of absolutely every single vote we received ever but here she is anyway!" Not very marketable.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You guys want bad leaks? I'll tear this one apart for ya'll
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/435131354

Actually a good start. You never want to disclose where that info came from and if you do you're automatically fakr

Oh hey they just shot themselves in the foot by playing "no one will believe me but i dont care" card.

"The next blog post is X" is the new "the next PotD is X" and it's just as bad

This is some pre September Direct-tier leak. What I mean is that it sucks, it has Everyone's Favorite Character to Leak aka Geno. Banko and Skull Kid, Elma for "eh she's talked about but not that talked about" and Magolor because of course we need that one character that won't be in and is not what kills this leak because it died when it said Banjo

Also did I mention no Incineroar?

People really do believe hair and arms work the same way, huh

Yeah sure whatever

If Dr. Mario is nor an Echo then Melee Ganon is definitely not one either lmao

Man if I didn't know better I'd think Forest Maze is the only area in SMRPG

Me trying to make sense of a Pokemon stage without a new Pokemon is hurting my head
Also, Ultra Space is from Sun and Moon.

I'm not even gonna bother with Namco Museum that's just sad
And Crafted World might as well be the Geno of stage leaks
Why would you do this to me Shish?

Namco Museum was my childhood, I never even considered its potential as a stage.

But now...

Now I want it.
SO. BAD.
Don't tell Ridley. He might get ladder combo'd off the top of the stage.
I just have this mental image of Ridley cowering in Bayonetta's shadow, but then suddenly another shadow envelops Bayonetta, and it's Toon Link.
Then Toon Link straight up murders Bayonetta, and then he and Ridley become best friends.
Look, at this point it's obvious the ballot's main priority was likely to gauge for future games like Ultimate and not so much for DLC. The ballot itself even said it could be used for that purpose. That's pretty generally accepted at this point.

Even still, what part of Bayonetta being the winner was a "lie"? Are we forgetting the infamous little astrik in the corner here?

Among realizeable characters. (You all know what the image is, dangit Smashboards.)

Who are we to say what was considered realizeable at the time? For all we know, the vast majority of characters who we're getting now really weren't realizeable at the time, given the time constraints and other factors we could never hope to understand. .

We were never lied to. People just quite literally didn't read the fine print. Perhaps that can be argued to be a bit underhanded, but that doesn't make it a lie or manipulative. She was just the most realizeable pick of the time that had popularity backing her.
iirc, the reason people think Bayo was a lie is because data related to her character attributes could be found in Smash 4's data as far back as 2-3 weeks after the ballot began.
Not sure on the validity of that statement however.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just have this mental image of Ridley cowering in Bayonetta's shadow, but then suddenly another shadow envelops Bayonetta, and it's Toon Link.
Then Toon Link straight up murders Bayonetta, and then he and Ridley become best friends.
:ulttoonlink:'s best friends are :ultjigglypuff: and :ultwolf: and you can pry this baseless headcanon from my cold, lifeless hands.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Concur that Namco Museum would make an awesome stage. Already so much good retro Namco music wasted on a stage that no one ever plays.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
:ulttoonlink:'s best friends are :ultjigglypuff: and :ultwolf: and you can pry this baseless headcanon from my cold, lifeless hands.
No, I agree.

Honestly, if Ultimate were to get a story mode, one of my most wanted teams is actually :ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultjigglypuff:.
Though I admit, I'd also find a :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: team pretty funny.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Concur that Namco Museum would make an awesome stage. Already so much good retro Namco music wasted on a stage that no one ever plays.
Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of Omega/Battlefield Stages.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I guess nothing happened over the weekend while I was away?

No more playlist updates?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
iirc, the reason people think Bayo was a lie is because data related to her character attributes could be found in Smash 4's data as far back as 2-3 weeks after the ballot began.
Not sure on the validity of that statement however.
It wasn't even 3 weeks. It was 2. There's no way that much character work could be done. She had to have work started on her in general before the ballot even started.

My theory is that she was started as an Assist Trophy, and then a week in, she got her files' name changed since there was enough votes.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In defense of the internet did you SEE what they did to Battlefront 2? Had to get friggin governments involved!
Well it was the straw that broke the camels back.

People were getting sick of micro gambling as is given lootboxes were sneaking into everything. But 40 hours to unlock a character? Or give them a crap load of money? Yeah they got really greedy turning it into a mobile game with a $60 price tag.

StormC

Smash Hero
Honestly, if K. Rool was already in Smash back then, I don't think people would care nearly as much that he wasn't in DKCR.

Not the popular opinion around here, but I thought the new enemies were a breath of fresh air. I love the Kremlings, but they've been the antagonists of almost every DK game prior to Returns. Aside from appealing to my nostalgia, bringing back K. Rool wouldn't really bring about any major changes, or at least not to the same degree as the Tiki Tak Tribe and the Snowmads.

I usually disagree with Miyamoto, but I think he made the right call with this one.
Donkey Kong Country cannot truly "return" without its main villain.

The time to experiment and take risks is not when the series only gets a game every 3-4 years and didn't get a new Country between 1996 and 2010.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of Omega/Battlefield Stages.
Doesn't stop Pac-Land from being one of the ugliest potential backdrops from all of the 80's Namco catalog, history as the first sidescrolling platformer be danged.

Edit: Very specifically :ultgreninja:'d, lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Past tomorrow, the post of the day on the website will be a guide to speak Geno's language, alongside some Dragon Ball filler.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It wasn't even 3 weeks. It was 2. There's no way that much character work could be done. She had to have work started on her in general before the ballot even started.

My theory is that she was started as an Assist Trophy, and then a week in, she got her files' name changed since there was enough votes.
Could have even been a regular trophy, for all we know. That's how Inkling's trophy worked, after all. Was DLC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom