• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hydreigon reminds me of the Wither from Minecraft; I think this Pokemon-related similarity was even on the official Minecraft Wiki in the Wither page's Trivia section, though it might not be there anymore.

Anyway, time for a segment where I give a straw-grasping theory relating to Geno and an old leak that's never been debunked, but may be fake anyway because 4chan is stupid.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Alright we've discussed this in the Geno thread for a few posts before, but I've prepared my imaginary tinfoil hat to share it here with all my current thoughts about it. Take everything with a huge mine of salt.

Y'all remember this image?

Geno.png

It looks so good, like it fits Ultimate; it even has a fine wood texture, not too simple/plastic and not too harsh. It's not very blurry, either, just a little.

It also seems to fit his original art better than the Mii Costume does, save for the red instead of orange hair:

Geno2.gif

-The cape's collar opens outward and flaps down like cloth instead of sticking out like cardboard
-The windup key-like symbol on his hat is more rounded instead of having two flat, straight sides

Now, this model is too high-poly to be an ingame model, so if we assume it's real, it must be in a menu screen, or even his trailer as to me it looks like it could be an animation.

The original anon who posted it on 4chan also said "All can have. Risk job." This was posted before Vergeben let everyone know how harsh Square Enix has it with leaks.

Granted, this was on the same thread as a Dixie and Banjo leak that also mentioned Geno in the text portion, and the image seemed bad, so this concerns me; Banjo had a weird, lifeless robot walk, and had sausage fingers. Dixie didn't look as bad, but still seemed off. Geno was not in the image.

If the same anon is the one who shared the Geno image in that thread, he didn't mention risking his job until he posted the Geno image. What's strange is that Geno seems to be of much higher quality than the Banjo & Dixie leak, fitting Smash Bros. much better. I also think it's possible it may have actually been a different person, probably trying to leak something but still keep his job by sharing it on a leak thread that he knew or thought just seemed really fake.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Granted, it could be someone with amazing art talent who just knew about job risking as that's common sense. Of course take everything with a huge mine of salt as I stated at the beginning. I haven't played SMRPG yet, but I really like Geno from his design and what I've read about his character, as he seems to be the Mario universe's version of an angel, so I like to stay hopeful.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
See, if that isn't Sakurai trying his best to get him in one way or another, I don't know what is.
We're going to get Geno. I've never been more hard locked on this than I am now, and my most wanted is Rex for God's sake.
The pain I will feel when it turns out Square felt that they wouldn't get enough out of putting him in Smash will be immeasurable
I hope I don't have to feel it

Hydreigon reminds me of the Wither from Minecraft; I think this Pokemon-related similarity was even on the official Minecraft Wiki in the Wither page's Trivia section, though it might not be there anymore.

Anyway, time for a segment where I give a straw-grasping theory relating to Geno and an old leak that's never been debunked, but may be fake anyway because 4chan is stupid.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Alright we've discussed this in the Geno thread for a few posts before, but I've prepared my imaginary tinfoil hat to share it here with all my current thoughts about it. Take everything with a huge mine of salt.

Y'all remember this image?

View attachment 169642

It looks so good, like it fits Ultimate; it even has a fine wood texture, not too simple/plastic and not too harsh. It's not very blurry, either, just a little.

It also seems to fit his original art better than the Mii Costume does, save for the red instead of orange hair:

View attachment 169643

-The cape's collar opens outward and flaps down like cloth instead of sticking out like cardboard
-The windup key-like symbol on his hat is more rounded instead of having two flat, straight sides

Now, this model is too high-poly to be an ingame model, so if we assume it's real, it must be in a menu screen, or even his trailer as to me it looks like it could be an animation.

The original anon who posted it on 4chan also said "All can have. Risk job." This was posted before Vergeben let everyone know how harsh Square Enix has it with leaks.

Granted, this was on the same thread as a Dixie and Banjo leak that also mentioned Geno in the text portion, and the image seemed bad, so this concerns me; Banjo had a weird, lifeless robot walk, and had sausage fingers. Dixie didn't look as bad, but still seemed off. Geno was not in the image.

If the same anon is the one who shared the Geno image in that thread, he didn't mention risking his job until he posted the Geno image. What's strange is that Geno seems to be of much higher quality than the Banjo & Dixie leak, fitting Smash Bros. much better. I also think it's possible it may have actually been a different person, probably trying to leak something but still keep his job by sharing it on a leak thread that he knew or thought just seemed really fake.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Granted, it could be someone with amazing art talent who just knew about job risking as that's common sense. Of course take everything with a huge mine of salt as I stated at the beginning. I haven't played SMRPG yet, but I really like Geno from his design and what I've read about his character, as he seems to be the Mario universe's version of an angel, so I like to stay hopeful.
....damn was the Geno leak ever actually busted

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
This makes me wonder about Hydreigon... Are they evil?

"Hydreigon is a violent, destructive Pokémon. It will attack anything that moves, determining it a foe. Its heads can consume anything."

...Discussions of morality are often equal parts heavy and complicated, but I'm going to have to go out on a limb here and say "no".

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
The pain I will feel when it turns out Square felt that they wouldn't get enough out of putting him in Smash will be immeasurable
The concept of measuring pain has always been interesting to me. Like measuring emotions and feelings in general and what their limits are.

Derail aside, I don’t even know what else to say about Geno at this point. I want him, I have always thought the world over would be very accepting of him. Regardless of what the truth is, Geno being unwelcome after all, would be a reality breaker.

Troykv

Smash Master

...Discussions of morality are often equal parts heavy and complicated, but I'm going to have to go out on a limb here and say "no".
Oh; it makes happy to see this

I actually kind really like Hydreigon; but it sometimes bother me the idea of being completely heartless xDU

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
....damn was the Geno leak ever actually busted
From what I know, no, it was never busted. No one has found a matching model/render.

It may very well be fake, but it looks so good, like it was actually made by a person working on Smash, that I can't help but keep it in the back of my mind. If it's fake, I wish this person would give the full render, as they have some very good talent.

Artsy Omni had a good, fake Rayman leak, but I feel that may have been easier to fake if only slightly, as Smash 4's renders seemed a bit more painted than 3D due to textures (from what I can remember, I just checked Mario's), and one of Rayman's hands looks painted.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I will say this: Square Enix is a ****ing weird anomaly.

They make great things like Octopath Traveler and NieR: Automata, yet they also screw up **** like Final Fantasy XV and The World Ends With You -Final Remix-. But, this is Smash we're talking about. I have faith that they AT THE VERY LEAST know not to be a bunch of dummies when we're talking about what practically is video game's most prestigious platform.

With that in mind, again, it all boils down to history and what strings can Sakurai pull. With the amount of third parties he can get out of, and if SNAKE is back? No doubt Geno is coming.

I will die on this hill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The one thing I've never liked about Hydreigon is that his damn head-hands don't have any teeth and the main head itself only has 4 canines.

Like you're telling me that this muppet-looking lizard head is gonna be able to tear through a piece of cloth much less an actual living being?

Noipoi

Howdy!
The one thing I've never liked about Hydreigon is that his damn head-hands don't have any teeth and the main head itself only has 4 canines.

Like you're telling me that this muppet-looking lizard head is gonna be able to tear through a piece of cloth much less an actual living being?
Well, Deino and Zweilous barely had visible teeth either. It think it's supposed to be more like a beak.

Or it's just a weird design choice, I dunno.

Shroob

Sup?

Isn't the power of a bite less about the teeth, and more about the jaw strength?

Sure, the teeth hurt, but the real pain and breaking of bones come from just how strong the thing's jaws can apply pressure.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
From what I know, no, it was never busted. No one has found a matching model/render.

It may very well be fake, but it looks so good, like it was actually made by a person working on Smash, that I can't help but keep it in the back of my mind. If it's fake, I wish this person would give the full render, as they have some very good talent.

Artsy Omni had a good, fake Rayman leak, but I feel that may have been easier to fake if only slightly, as Smash 4's renders seemed a bit more painted than 3D due to textures (from what I can remember, I just checked Mario's), and one of Rayman's hands looks sorta painted.
...hm.
Hm.

You know, it being part of a menu would...make sense.
And the Verge info coming out right after IS interesting.

Can someone can deflate my hype bubble. It's been a rough night. Need to cling onto Geno for warmth.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

What’s next? Will they make Jigglypuff capable of gripping things with those stubs? Freaking whack.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Macargo is hotter than the sun. Any arguements for logic in Pokemon are thus invalid. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed

Look at big turtles, they are able to bite off really hard stuff because their jaws are super strong and their mouths are still sharp without teeth.

NineS

Smash Lord
...hm.
Hm.

You know, it being part of a menu would...make sense.
And the Verge info coming out right after IS interesting.

Can someone can deflate my hype bubble. It's been a rough night. Need to cling onto Geno for warmth.
Sorry, but I'm not a good pessimist or optimist. Look at who I'm supporting, after all.

Artsy Omni had a good, fake Rayman leak, but I feel that may have been easier to fake if only slightly, as Smash 4's renders seemed a bit more painted than 3D due to textures (from what I can remember, I just checked Mario's), and one of Rayman's hands looks sorta painted.
The leak was never confirmed fake. The closest people have ever found was a Gif of Geno tilting his head to that motion, but comparing the models I found them to be very different.
Add on to the fact that gif is one I never have seen up until some time after the image was leaked, meaning it's possible someone made said gif based off of that leak in a case similar to what happened with Duck Hunts model supposedly being found for Smash 4 and the leak it was in being confirmed supposedly fake.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I will say this: Square Enix is a ****ing weird anomaly.

They make great things like Octopath Traveler and NieR: Automata, yet they also screw up **** like Final Fantasy XV and The World Ends With You -Final Remix-. But, this is Smash we're talking about. I have faith that they AT THE VERY LEAST know not to be a bunch of dummies when we're talking about what practically is video game's most prestigious platform.

With that in mind, again, it all boils down to history and what strings can Sakurai pull. With the amount of third parties he can get out of, and if SNAKE is back? No doubt Geno is coming.

I will die on this hill.
Wait, what's wrong with the Final Remix?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I immediately question this new leaker guy based on the comment about Sakurai not really wanting Geno. Say Geno is not in the game sure. But Sakurai is on record saying he's wanted to make Geno playable ever since Brawl. Anyone saying Sakurai never wanted to add Geno is talking out their ass. And how would he know what Sakurai personally wants anyway?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
*Puts on tinfoil hat*

You guys notice a pattern between the newcomers (Not including echos).

64: Inkling (Hero) - 65: Ridley (Villain) - 66: Simon (Hero) - 67: King K. Rool (Villain) - 68: Isabelle (Hero)

The next fighter is definitely gonna be a villain for sure.

I has come up with my own theory. The Hero-Villain theory. :p
Skull kid perhaps

And I suppose shadow is rouge side

D

Deleted member

Wait, what's wrong with the Final Remix?
$49.99 for what essentially is just straight up the mobile port, terrible remapping of controls - not to mention disabling stuff like the use of the Pro Controller and other methods - and Nomura guilt tripping people into buying this game saying that "this is the final chance for TWEWY".

Basically, the Chrono Trigger Steam Fiasco all over again.

Now you see why I'm trepedacious for Kingdom Hearts 3, when you have assholes like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I see your point.

However, even Giratina, ruler of the Distortion World and probably the closest thing Pokemon will get to Satan himself, can be seen eating Poke Beans and dancing about if you put him in Pokemon-Amie.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really hate the "Buy this bad thing so that we can make a good thing later" mentality that game devs love using.

Could you not just have made the good thing first?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
$49.99 for what essentially is just straight up the mobile port, terrible remapping of controls - not to mention disabling stuff like the use of the Pro Controller and other methods - and Nomura guilt tripping people into buying this game saying that "this is the final chance for TWEWY".

Basically, the Chrono Trigger Steam Fiasco all over again.

Now you see why I'm trepedacious for Kingdom Hearts 3, when you have ******** like this.
I’ve been worried for Kingdom Hearts 3 since the handheld games split the story into near irrelevancy. It’s so hard to follow along now. Like everything has a freaking plot line.

Not to mention Sora in the gang now have all new, highly ancticipated.....Disney ride....techniques.

Come on, Disney. What the hell?!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The leak was never confirmed fake. The closest people have ever found was a Gif of Geno tilting his head to that motion, but comparing the models I found them to be very different.
Add on to the fact that gif is one I never have seen up until some time after the image was leaked, meaning it's possible someone made said gif based off of that leak in a case similar to what happened with Duck Hunts model supposedly being found for Smash 4 and the leak it was in being confirmed supposedly fake.
Yes, I believe that Geno gif was based on the leak, as a reaction to leaks :p; I think it came out after the leak, and it's very different as you said.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Apparently TWEWY is better in handheld because you can do all touchscreen controls, but the docked controls are horse****.

Wasn't too interested in that game till I read a review, which piqued my curiousity, then saw the control issues and went noping the hell outta that

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I’ve been worried for Kingdom Hearts 3 since the handheld games split the story into near irrelevancy. It’s so hard to follow along now. Like everything has a freaking plot line.

Not to mention Sora in the gang now have all new, highly ancticipated.....Disney ride....techniques.

Im amazed neither of those omniscient god looking dudes from the trailers are modelled after Walt Disney himself.... Granted i dont think the current Disney company gives two ****s about the man who made the company.. Otherwise they wouldnt be... Ya know. Evil.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Eh? How is that a concerning thing? Doesn't hurt to reference stuff beyond movies and the occasional cartoon

D

Deleted member

I want to be supportive of Square, but it's hard when they do **** like this. I got a ****ing PS4 LITERALLY because of Final Fantasy XV. So when I see Nomura making Kingdom Hearts 3, as beautiful as it looks, with it's super-complicated story that spans NINE ****ING GAMES, I'm concerned.

Honestly, after I bought a Switch, bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 off of Amazon, bought Torna: The Golden Country, bought a New 3DS JUST for Xenoblade 1 AND bought that game too, I will forever say this matre:

Monolith Soft is the new king of role-playing games.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Welp, if there's no Namco in the base game I think it makes sense. Vergeben is the only other "credible" leaker and he has said nothing on Namco so far. Man, the namco dlc war is gonna be crazy then.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Xenoblade 2 wasn't even the best jrpg released in 2017, considering how much stuff like Persona 5 and Nier Automata **** all over it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Xenoblade 2 wasn't even the best jrpg released in 2017, considering how much stuff like Persona 5 and Nier Automata **** all over it.
Them's FIGHTIN' WORDS.

That said, Nier Automata's one of my favorite games of all time, soooooooo...
XC2 aint got **** on that.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Eh? How is that a concerning thing? Doesn't hurt to reference stuff beyond movies and the occasional cartoon
It’s concerning for me that it will be canonical. Disney rides from theme parks will be canonical attacks. Irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom