• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NineS

Smash Lord
Them's FIGHTIN' WORDS.

That said, Nier Automata's one of my favorite games of all time, soooooooo...
XC2 aint got **** on that.
Xenoblade 2 wasn't even the best jrpg released in 2017, considering how much stuff like Persona 5 and Nier Automata **** all over it.
Yes, I know, it's tough. Well, more of sweet for me, but...
Well no, I just didn't want to come off as rude. It's 100% sweet for me. I am biased, and that is clear.

But I personally prefer reps from those two games and franchises than Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Them's FIGHTIN' WORDS.

That said, Nier Automata's one of my favorite games of all time, soooooooo...
XC2 aint got **** on that.
Honestly, I'm not all that much of a Nier Automata fan for a few reasons, but it's sooooooooooooo much better than generic anime garbage of XC2.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Xenoblade 2 wasn't even the best jrpg released in 2017, considering how much stuff like Persona 5 and Nier Automata **** all over it.
There ain't a JRPG alive that can beat Persona 5, so that's unfair to XBC2.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Automata/P5/Xenoblade fans when you tell them that those really aren't the GOTY's and they need to play The Thousand Year Door
squidward.jpg

Automata ain't even the best Nier folks

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Automata/P5/Xenoblade fans when you tell them that those really aren't the GOTY's and they need to play The Thousand Year Door
View attachment 169647

All of Yoko Taro's games bar Automata are tedious as hell to play. Dude is good on the story, but horrid on gameplay

Also every Mario RPG bar Super Paper Mario are extremely overrated

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I really hate the "Buy this bad thing so that we can make a good thing later" mentality that game devs love using.

Could you not just have made the good thing first?
Hm, that's an oddly specific complaint. I wonder if there's a particular game in specific that made you hate such a mentality.

...I actually think it was a good game, just with a bad roster. Can't blame people for being a bit upset about it though, especially when I have my own set of gripes with it.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 169647

I genuinely forgot about Thousand-Year Door, holy ****. I dun' goofed.

Okay - EarthBound, Mother 3, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and Final Fantasy IX.
You're welcome.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Hm, I preferred Persona 4 to Persona 5, personally. Perhaps I'm persnickety per my perspective, but Persona 5 felt less than perfect.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hm, I preferred Persona 4 to Persona 5, personally. Perhaps I'm persnickety per my perspective, but Persona 5 felt less than perfect.
Honestly, I preferred Persona 3 to both 4 and 5.
Janky archaic 2000's gameplay aside... that's one good-ass story. Don't think I've ever felt as much catharsis as I did beating P3.
I WILL... EMBRACE THE FEELING!
Aigis P3 Ending.png

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
P3 is the worst Persona bar the unholy abomination that is the original. 2 and 5 are so much better

D

Deleted member

I will say, going into Smash Ultimate, I'd be surprised if there isn't any Persona, or to be gracious, Shin Megami Tensei content at all.
And no, that "Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem" farce you call "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE" doesn't count.

WHERE THE **** IS THE REAL SMT X FE, ATLUS???

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
what about FFVII, Super Mario RPG, Sonic Chronicles, and StarGazers?
Sonic Chronicles is trash lmao
I will say, going into Smash Ultimate, I'd be surprised if there isn't any Persona, or to be gracious, Shin Megami Tensei content at all.
And no, that "Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem" farce you call "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE" doesn't count.

If SMT content does get in, it's probably Joker as DLC

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I like Persona 4 more than 5 just because I have a more nostalgic attachment to it and its characters, but I fully believe Persona 5 is the better game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not just you. Neither are my personal favourite, but Persona 4 was more character oriented, has better story when it actually have one and themes were overall more solid.

Persona 5 felt like it just built on top of Persona 4 in terms of story and has less unique stuff. Which is ironic, considering P4 literally built on P3.

EDIT: 5 has better gameplay, though.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

I'd imagine in the same dark dungeon where Half Life 3, Tekken X Street Fighter, and an Official English Translation of Mother 3 are.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
So much disagreement over things that don't even really relate to Smash, much less Ultimate.

Ah, it's good to see this thread has returned to its proper state.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You're missing something fam

Mario vs Sonic vs Crash vs Pacman vs Mickey Mouse vs Master Chief vs Lara Croft vs Cloud

Battle of the Icons

Go
Where’s John Cena? Shouldn’t we be allowed to see him in this rumble as well?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So much disagreement over things that don't even really relate to Smash, much less Ultimate.

It's the classic "info drought so we're all gonna go crazy" state.

Happened right after the March announcement, happened after E3, and it'll keep happening until the game's out.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I played that garbage. The Dakengard games too, and they were just ugh. Great stories tho

also nah, they're pretty much baby's first rpgs.
Yes, these filthy beginner RPG's are idiotic and the worst games ever.
See: those Pokemon games that only children play

I Have: Given Up!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
P3 is the worst Persona bar the unholy abomination that is the original. 2 and 5 are so much better
You say that, but neither of those games has burnt bread

Right...here

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Adding Jack Frost would be like adding Slime or a Chocobo or Moogle or some other mascot mook.

Also Yu Narukami is so 2014
And Cloud's so 20th century, what's your point again?

Jack is a clearly-defined character with a personality. Chocobo and Moogle are not, as they are a species. Jack is also a sort of species but you're kidding yourself if you think they're nearly on the same level.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Speaking of Bioware, that is my jam. Felt kind of left out with all this JRPG talk.

Wasn't there some other game we were talking about in this thread before though?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Jack is a clearly-defined character with a personality. Chocobo and Moogle are not, as they are a species. Jack is also a sort of species but you're kidding yourself if you think they're nearly on the same level.
The 2014 part was a joke

Also no, it's the same level. Just because they have a personality doesn't mean they're automatically a character instead of just a mascot mook

NineS

Smash Lord

To be fair, there's actually a fairly popular Spin-off Series called "Chocobo" where the main character is a Chocobo named "Chocobo".
Where do you think they based off the Chocobo costume in smash off of? We're getting a game of it to the switch, Chocobo Mystery Dungeon. . .

It's similar to how there's a Spin-off series just for Dragon Quest's Slime, as it's own character. Granted, there's not a lot of character development there, and not as many installments.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Speaking of Bioware, that is my jam. Felt kind of left out with all this JRPG talk.

Wasn't there some other game we were talking about in this thread before though?
we were talking about the glory of sonic 06

actually best smt rep is dante

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom