• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Anyone else wish there was a Smash Bros Tactical RPG in the same playstyle as Xcom or Final Fantasy Tactics?

I have this craving for tactics games with simple, but effective and deep mechanics in a tactical RPG.

Of all kinds of RPG’s, Final Fantasy Tactics hit a sweet spot for me that I can’t get anywhere else, despite some flaws.

I love RPG’s, but I wish they could remove the grind of leveling while somehow retaining a form of progression that feels more like tactical options over the average progression that gives you stronger abilities of the same type.

For instance, learning fira over fire doesn’t age very well, seeing as how I should just have a fire spell that is always relevant and not just cluttering my menu. I would like to invest in sword skills, but not have to change which sword I’m wielding a thousand times, because I can’t see why a platinum sword doesn’t do as much damage as a magic platinum sword. I can see why maybe properties would change and maybe magic is needed against certain types of opponents, but it shouldn’t flat out do more damage just to make you feel like you’re improving.

I think of these things, plus all the characters in Smash coming together and I just want it to happen.

Imagine DK is your tank, he can block for adjacent allies and cause local quakes and lay into single targets like none other.

Samus in the backline is launching missles and charging shots(for immense damage)from high up after obtaining space jump. Or maybe you prefer Megaman for his less powerful, but more versatile arsenal(for balance).

Zelda in the middle line buffing party members and throwing magic to tear down some clusters of koopas and stalfos.

Peach could heal, but you could also choose the Tennis Ace build where she is a mid-range damage dealer that causes status problems by serving tennis balls in the rudest way.

Sonic can rip through rows or columns of enemies with spindash and get anywhere on the map or have multiple move actions to reperesent his speed.

Maybe you can choose sides between good and evil and you get different character options for it.

Anyone?

osby

Smash Obsessed
And Cloud's so 20th century, what's your point again?

Jack is a clearly-defined character with a personality. Chocobo and Moogle are not, as they are a species. Jack is also a sort of species but you're kidding yourself if you think they're nearly on the same level.
As much as I love it, Persona 4 is not FFVII.

Also, anything I can smush together with Pixie to make a bigger demon/Persona is a species. Jack Frost HAS a character but he's still only one of many.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Speaking of Bioware, that is my jam. Felt kind of left out with all this JRPG talk.

Wasn't there some other game we were talking about in this thread before though?
Bioware is a western company. Also bought owned and some would say ruined by EA.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The 2014 part was a joke

Also no, it's the same level. Just because they have a personality doesn't mean they're automatically a character instead of just a mascot mook
You can knock that point out then but numerous still remain for Jack.
No Persona protagonist can match the sheer iconicness of Cloud. Hate to sound like I'm moving the goalposts, sorry, but hear me out. I feel it's reasonable to have expected some sort of "mascot mook" to be playable as there's over 14 entries in the series and it makes logical sense to represent them all like that.
Except we just forgot how damn iconic Cloud is. He IS Final Fantasy. This is kinda agreed on, universal gaming stuff.

With Persona that's MUCH cloudier as you can probably see in this exact conversation.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Bioware is a western company. Also bought owned and some would say ruined by EA.
Eh, they took a dip in quality, but Dragon Age Inquisition was alright. Andromeda wasn't Bioware proper but some new studio, so I'm pinning the blame on them for that.

Curious to see how Anthem is

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Eh, they took a dip in quality, but Dragon Age Inquisition was alright. Andromeda wasn't Bioware proper but some new studio, so I'm pinning the blame on them for that.

I'll bite my tongue on this. Buuuut you dont gotta wait to see how Anthem is just play Destiny or Titanfall..

KotOR was Amazing though ill give them that.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Anyone else wish there was a Smash Bros Tactical RPG in the same playstyle as Xcom or Final Fantasy Tactics?

[...]

Anyone?
Honestly? I'd take more "everyone in Nintendo" games in general.

The Mario Party/Kart/Sports titles are fun, but I don't understand why they've limited those strictly to Mario characters and Donkey/Diddy for so long. Mario Kart 8 finally added characters outside of Mario's inner circle through DLC, and to my knowledge, they sold like hotcakes. Why don't they make another Strikers starring Link, Samus and the Inklings? Why not "Nintendo Party" with the Star Fox team and various Pokemon? Why not a Project X Zone style RPG with every star they can think of? Why not have Intelligent Systems work on a tactical FE/AW style game in which Captain N recruits an army of Nintendo heroes to fight an army headed by Bowser, Ganon and K. Rool?

I just don't get why they don't use more than god damn Mario characters when they feel like getting creative.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'll bite my tongue on this. Buuuut you dont gotta wait to see how Anthem is just play Destiny or Titanfall..

KotOR was Amazing though ill give them that.
You could play Titanfall, but you'd wait half a year to fill a lobby...

And this is from a guy where Titanfall and Titanfall 2 were some of my favorite shooters, with a lot of time and money put into em.
I really can't understand why a series with parkour and mechs is less favored over other shooters. It's fast, it's fluid, and by God is it FUN.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm well aware. That's why I was feeling left out with all the JRPG talk. Because Bioware doesn't make JRPGs. And they are, as stated, my jam.

Trust me, I'm very well acquainted with the history of my favorite RPG maker.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly? I'd take more "everyone in Nintendo" games in general.

The Mario Party/Kart/Sports titles are fun, but I don't understand why they've limited those strictly to Mario characters and Donkey/Diddy for so long. Mario Kart 8 finally added characters outside of Mario's inner circle through DLC, and to my knowledge, they sold like hotcakes. Why don't they make another Strikers starring Link, Samus and the Inklings? Why not "Nintendo Party" with the Star Fox team and various Pokemon? Why not a Project X Zone style RPG with every star they can think of? Why not have Intelligent Systems work on a tactical FE/AW style game in which Captain N recruits an army of Nintendo heroes to fight an army headed by Bowser, Ganon and K. Rool?

I just don't get why they don't use more than god damn Mario characters when they feel like getting creative.
Licensing.

Honestly, I don't know if Smash could get all these characters into the same in the first place without Iwata. It's certainly possible but I can see why a similar thing would be intimidating, also considering it would inevitably compared to Smash Bros.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
You could play Titanfall, but you'd wait half a year to fill a lobby...

And this is from a guy where Titanfall and Titanfall 2 were some of my favorite shooters, with a lot of time and money put into em.
I really can't understand why a series with parkour and mechs is less favored over other shooters. It's fast, it's fluid, and by God is it FUN.
Because people have a rather ridiculous hate boner for EA. Imagine if we put that hate towards something constructive, solving global warming or world hunger or hating Konami

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I'm well aware. That's why I was feeling left out with all the JRPG talk. Because Bioware doesn't make JRPGs. And they are, as stated, my jam.

Trust me, I'm very well acquainted with the history of my favorite RPG maker.
Ok then but in that case lets include CD Projekt Red. Witcher of course and has anyone seen Cyberpunk it looks INCREDIBLE!

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Jokes on you, Titanfall 2 ****ing rules. Destiny 2 is fun with a few friend too

he's a sticker
Titanfall 2 was pretty awesome. The mobility and the Titans make it hard to beat for me. Need more shooters like it. Plus, free updates. Absolutely great.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I'm curious too. But we should go in knowing that it is nothing like the modern or classic Bioware experience at all. With any luck, it's just a better Destiny and they manage to wow us with this new style of interactive storytelling. I'd be fine with a better Destiny, but that's not really what I want out of Bioware, y'know?

It's sad that I was more excited for an Assassin's Creed game this year than Bioware's next big title.

Also, unpopular opinion of the century: Dragon Age II was so much better than Inquisition. I know, I know, burn me at the stake.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
he's a sticker
I swear to YHVH, I will gaea rage you into the next conception.

Because people have a rather ridiculous hate boner for EA. Imagine if we put that hate towards something constructive, solving global warming or world hunger or hating Konami
The worst part it isn't even technically made by EA. It's made by Respawn, and those guys got eaten up by the great big EA machine too.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I swear to YHVH, I will gaea rage you into the next conception.

The worst part it isn't even technically made by EA. It's made by Respawn, and those guys got eaten up by the great big EA machine too.
do it you coward
end my existence all i know is pain

Also let's at least see how their Star Wars game turns out before declaring them dead

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Too bad CDPR is ****ing awful towards thier employees.
Well thats based on glassdoor reviews which are anonymous and they dont check to verify if you actually worked there.
Unlike Konami where we got evidence of that happening...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also let's at least see how their Star Wars game turns out before declaring them dead
I actually had to google that and I remember the reason I don't remember it...
It was unceremoniously revealed at that awful E3 conference

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Ok then but in that case lets include CD Projekt Red. Witcher of course and has anyone seen Cyberpunk it looks INCREDIBLE!
I saw the 48 minute gameplay feature of Cyberpunk and it’s game of the year, bar none. That’s not even the type of game I like usually, but they’re not missing a beat. It already looks like the new landmark title of not only the genre, but gaming as a whole. Gameplay looks expansive. World looks expansive. The choices are impactful and plentiful. The options are staggering. The tone is realistically gritty.

I am mentally preparing for a year where everyone won’t shut up about Cyberpunk and the people who haven’t played it are mad they have to hear about it, while the contrarians are forced to hate it to retain their reputations. Lol

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well thats based on glassdoor reviews which are anonymous and they dont check to verify if you actually worked there.
There were like 50 reviews. Pretty sure there's some shady **** going on, but hey, they made a mediocre rpg and jerk off gamers constantly so we should love them.
that was an awful e3 conference.

remember how bad the square conference was

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
RIP Command & Conquer
There were like 50 reviews. Pretty sure there's some shady **** going on, but hey, they made a mediocre rpg and jerk off gamers constantly so we should love them.
Again anonymous posts and at least they dont treat them like walking bags of money or worse like EA but i digress. Leaving it at here.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
that was an awful e3 conference.

remember how bad the square conference was
Square's E3 conference in a nutshell:

SE: We haven't been at E3 in years, but we're back, baby!
Us: Yay! What are you showing??
SE: Did you see the Xbox conference?
Us: Yeah!
SE: Cool. Well here's all of that stuff again!
Us: Okay, uh. What else?
SE: ...
Us: ...
SE: ...what do you mean, 'what else'?

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Square's E3 conference in a nutshell:

SE: We haven't been at E3 in years, but we're back, baby!
Us: Yay! What are you showing??
SE: Did you see the Xbox conference?
Us: Yeah!
SE: Cool. Well here's all of that stuff again!
Us: Okay, uh. What else?
SE: ...
Us: ...
SE: ...what do you mean, 'what else'?
Man, they have all time show yet they STILL haven't release FF7 Remake!

That remake has been on limbo since AGES!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
"Man, I'm feeling depressed... :drsad:... I know, I'll try watching anime! I haven't watched an anime in half a decade, surely there'll be something g---"

>One show's about schoolgirl idol zombies
>The other's a ridiculously EDGE show about a goblin slayer

Ah, now I remember why I don't watch anime. :drshrug:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm expecting them to announce some stuff on FFVIIR during this year's bra bra concert. They're doing FFVII music this time.

There's also this
As long as it's not episodic anymore.

I'm not really a FF fan, but even the most casual of fans have known the plot of FFVII since the nineties. What the **** does going episodic accomplish?

"Oh my God, what a cliffhanger! I wonder what Sepheroth is going to do to Aerith???"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"Man, I'm feeling depressed... :drsad:... I know, I'll try watching anime! I haven't watched an anime in half a decade, surely there'll be something g---"

You should read light-hearted mangas instead

Like Berserk.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Watch JoJo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom