• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Any reason people have given up on Bandana Dee? A lot of people I see, even his fans. say he has little chance. I don't get it, I still find him very likely. He's huge in Japan and still has a decent fanbase in NA, making him a reverse Ridley.
People says Sakurai fears by adding Bandana Dee they'll call him bias despite Dee's popularity in Japan.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Any reason people have given up on Bandana Dee? A lot of people I see, even his fans. say he has little chance. I don't get it, I still find him very likely. He's huge in Japan and still has a decent fanbase in NA, making him a reverse Ridley.
I think it might just be due to the onslaught of leaks and theories plus the nearing of the end of the speculation cycle where people are losing hope. There is still a huge amount of us staying strong though!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I always assumed the music theory killed him, but now that the music theory's dead...

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Gotta get into that Smash spirit.

View attachment 169592

OGs rule! Smash had such humble beginnings. The wacky and cartoonish nature, the comic book style. The somewhat darker tones of the game with the eerie music after Master Hand’s defeat. Just an all around fun game with my favorite version of FD and BF. Heck, this game even had Meta Crystal, with its sick music to go with it.

Can never stress enough how grateful I am for 64 giving me Ness, Falcon, and Puff. Timing couldn’t have been more perfect. With almost 20 years now, these three are considered Smash staples at this point. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Now coming into Ultimate, I’m excited as ever to play them once again. Here’s to hoping they stick around for as long as the series goes on
Dang, that's a nice piece, who drew that?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People says Sakurai fears by adding Bandana Dee they'll call him bias despite Dee's popularity in Japan.
I think people exaggerate how much Sakurai hates post-Sakurai Kirby. We got an Ultra Sword FS, a Galacta Knight alt, and the only reason why there isn't an Epic Yarn stage is so there aren't two yarn stages.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It doesn't make sense a character that progressively morphs into the final boss of majora's mask for N64 could be used as a boss in Smash?

It's certainly viable.

Heck even plausible considering there is not many characters left according to Sakurai. What other roles does he have left to fulfill if he isnt playable? His AT is seemingly replaced. The next meaningful role after playable and AT is a boss.
He doesn't morph, though.

He's not even in the fight; the Mask discards him and then flies up into the Moon. Also, I don't see why he wouldn't be part of the Moon Assist like how Rathalos is both a boss and a weaker AT.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Uh- We're doing final roster prediction?

Incineroar/Ken: Like it, hate it, dread it, run from it, they're both coming, whenever you like Vergeben or not, think he's an asshole or not, he's never been wrong for SMASH so far. And the fact that he double/Triple/ down on both of them make me think it's UNAVOIDABLE

Token First Party characters: I feel that someone like Isaac/Bandana Dee might show up as an "Out of nowhere" first party characters, it seems to be a tradition for smash now, whenever it's Bowser JR, Duck Hunt, Olimar, we always get those. And I smell Isaac... Somehow...I have a hunch

The mysterious Square Enix Characters: My favorite, the one where all the speculation can be on, but everyone just go "Lmao it's Geno" or expect him so much... which is Kinda sad when you see the numbers of potential we can have here as candidate.

Geno is either Base game or Not in for me. His only chance to get in, in my opinion is if he get in the base game as a love letter from Sakurai to the fan as "Everyone is here. Even him!". If he doesn't make the cut base game, you can say bye-bye to him. However the Mii costume argument exist, and yes, he got the blessing of Sakurai, but in the end, it all goes down the Square and BOTH company need to agree. But he would be cool! I just...Can't see him get DLC, you can sell Cloud Strife, Ryu, Bayonetta...But Geno? Shrug

And I CANT look away from Vergeben's comment about Geno, I'm sorry. It probably means nothing, but with how big the security mesure at Square-Enix are, and how nintendo themselves protect that characters, with that supposed list of Character thrown around (that Vergeben have but can't reveal) It makes no sense for me as both measure are contradictory with each others "Let's add the most requested characters, but also throw random name everyone know won't make it in."
There also the ruuuumor about an announcement at the VGA, which could totally lead to that Square Enix characters being DLC

Dragon Quest Character (Erdrick/Eight): Probably have the highest chance out of the Square-bunch. Dragon Quest is literally the reflect of Final Fantasy. Having both together, both most famous hero of their own series dunking it out would be something I believe Sakurai would be willing to go for, as he is a Dragon Quest fan. It all goes down to the negociation with Bird Studio/Arm Project/Square-Enix. But honestly, I feel it...It's coming, one of them is coming, and I hope it's Eight for the "worldwide" recognition-

Sora: Well, yes, of course I'll do the case for my underdog newcomer. Disney ain't that big of a problem ONCE AGAIN, as people make it seems. Nomura would deal with it, Sakurai is a KH fan too, and let's be honest, Sora would probably be a worldwide internet breaker. Disney seems to be on board and okay to add him if it's what the fans want, Nomura/Hashimoto CLEAAARLY asking if they want Sora to cross-over with more games during a KHX event, and Hashimoto "supporting" his inclusion with his Tweet. I feel that Sora might be a DLC poster-boy. And with the security measure Square-Enix had for KHIII recently, i wouldn't be surprised if Sora would make those security go like the one we heard about from Vergeben.

Honorable mention to basically half the ****ing Square-Enix characters like Neku/FF characters/Crono etc: Square have too many good choices, legit. Whoever we get, we should be thanksful and grateful...

Now laugh at my bad opinion and **** taste peasants! As I go and hide from the pitchfork

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I think it might just be due to the onslaught of leaks and theories plus the nearing of the end of the speculation cycle where people are losing hope. There is still a huge amount of us staying strong though!
They shouldn't lose hope yet! Just you wait, I bet if you connect to the Wii U version you'll unlock Waddle Dee!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I for one am still on the Bandana Dee train. I've been a supporter for awhile (you wouldn't know because the creator of the support thread has yet to add me for some reason..) he's my most wanted behind Dixie (well maybe tied with Medusa for 2nd place). It's just that box theory man, the "slowing down of new character reveals", and us being less than 2 months away from release is making me take a bit of a step back in my hopes/desires. I still support the 3 I listed but it's hard not to remain a little pessimistic. Even though I'm not disappointed in the roster of newcomers in the slightest and am more than happy with what we have now, I feel if I got the 3 listed above I would never ask Sakurai for anything ever again. Hell even as a huge K.Rool supporter I was one of the ones "pessimistic" about his inclusion. The "not relevant" and "Nintendo/Sakurai DK bias" people got to me but I never gave up hope/support. I will continue to do the same with the other 3, I'm just gonna be taking a less "optimistic" approach to avoid getting even the slightest bit disappointed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Gah, I just need Kamek (or Boshi) in so people can stop using Bowser Jr. as a stand-in
At some chance that those two do make the cut or just one of them I'll then refer to them as Yoshi's rival/villain.

Until then though. :p

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I have preordered Smash Ultimate (and also a guidebook)...and I am still not ready for this game to break me in every way possible

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I noticed this too, and it's a darn shame. The Kirby franchise just doesn't feel complete without him, and the guy has a lot of support overseas in Japan. Yet for some unexplainable reason, people rarely bring him up anymore. It's almost like he's become the popular character everyone forgot about (if that makes any sense).

I'm even seeing people show more faith in Geno getting in than BWD, and that's something I don't quite get. Hopefully he doesn't have dying support like Krystal had post-Brawl.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Incineroar/Ken: Like it, hate it, dread it, run from it, they're both coming, whenever you like Vergeben or not, think he's an ******* or not, he's never been wrong for SMASH so far. And the fact that he double/Triple/ down on both of them make me think it's UNAVOIDABLE

Token First Party characters: I feel that someone like Isaac/Bandana Dee might show up as an "Out of nowhere" first party characters, it seems to be a tradition for smash now, whenever it's Bowser JR, Duck Hunt, Olimar, we always get those. And I smell Isaac... Somehow...I have a hunch

The mysterious Square Enix Characters: My favorite, the one where all the speculation can be on, but everyone just go "Lmao it's Geno" or expect him so much... which is Kinda sad when you see the numbers of potential we can have here as candidate.

Geno is either Base game or Not in for me. His only chance to get in, in my opinion is if he get in the base game as a love letter from Sakurai to the fan as "Everyone is here. Even him!". If he doesn't make the cut base game, you can say bye-bye to him. However the Mii costume argument exist, and yes, he got the blessing of Sakurai, but in the end, it all goes down the Square and BOTH company need to agree. But he would be cool! I just...Can't see him get DLC, you can sell Cloud Strife, Ryu, Bayonetta...But Geno? Shrug

And I CANT look away from Vergeben's comment about Geno, I'm sorry. It probably means nothing, but with how big the security mesure at Square-Enix are, and how nintendo themselves protect that characters, with that supposed list of Character thrown around (that Vergeben have but can't reveal) It makes no sense for me as both measure are contradictory with each others "Let's add the most requested characters, but also throw random name everyone know won't make it in."
There also the ruuuumor about an announcement at the VGA, which could totally lead to that Square Enix characters being DLC

Dragon Quest Character (Erdrick/Eight): Probably have the highest chance out of the Square-bunch. Dragon Quest is literally the reflect of Final Fantasy. Having both together, both most famous hero of their own series dunking it out would be something I believe Sakurai would be willing to go for, as he is a Dragon Quest fan. It all goes down to the negociation with Bird Studio/Arm Project/Square-Enix. But honestly, I feel it...It's coming, one of them is coming, and I hope it's Eight for the "worldwide" recognition-

Sora: Well, yes, of course I'll do the case for my underdog newcomer. Disney ain't that big of a problem ONCE AGAIN, as people make it seems. Nomura would deal with it, Sakurai is a KH fan too, and let's be honest, Sora would probably be a worldwide internet breaker. Disney seems to be on board and okay to add him if it's what the fans want, Nomura/Hashimoto CLEAAARLY asking if they want Sora to cross-over with more games during a KHX event, and Hashimoto "supporting" his inclusion with his Tweet. I feel that Sora might be a DLC poster-boy. And with the security measure Square-Enix had for KHIII recently, i wouldn't be surprised if Sora would make those security go like the one we heard about from Vergeben.

Honorable mention to basically half the ****ing Square-Enix characters like Neku/FF characters/Crono etc: Square have too many good choices, legit. Whoever we get, we should be thanksful and grateful...

Now laugh at my bad opinion and **** taste peasants! As I go and hide from the pitchfork
Nah this is pretty right.

We're likely going to get this at base or near base:
  • Incineroar
  • Ken
  • Steve
  • SE Rep
Maybe these as well:
  • Isaac
  • Shadow
  • Dixie Kong

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Characters from the same series still have separate rooms. Things'd get really awkward between Samus and Ridley otherwise.
Ridley, Dark Samus, and Ganondorf are the only exceptions to separations

Everyone else have to share rooms together (gonna be awkward for :ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser: and maybe :ultluigi::ultdaisy:)
Unless Echoes have to share rooms...

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: Oh dear...
Three versions of Samus in the same room...oh my (is that even too bad of a thing now that I think about it)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Incineroar/Ken: Like it, hate it, dread it, run from it, they're both coming, whenever you like Vergeben or not, think he's an ******* or not, he's never been wrong for SMASH so far. And the fact that he double/Triple/ down on both of them make me think it's UNAVOIDABLE

See how you're doubting Geno right now?

That's why they throw in false names.

To make you doubt it and preserve the surprise.

Highly requested or not, you can't just not have fake leaks for your company with something like this. There's a big reason why.

NineS

Smash Lord
Characters from the same series still have separate rooms. Things'd get really awkward between Samus and Ridley otherwise.
Not just Ridley and Samus. Imagine Samus being stuck with Dark Samus on top of that. They'd all be trying to kill each other 24/7, but mostly Samus. It'd be terrible if Mario, Bowser, and Peach had to share a room... Mostly for Peach.
Don't even get me started on how weird it'd be for Palutena to be forced to share a room with Pit and Dark Pit.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think people exaggerate how much Sakurai hates post-Sakurai Kirby. We got an Ultra Sword FS, a Galacta Knight alt, and the only reason why there isn't an Epic Yarn stage is so there aren't two yarn stages.
Sakurai bias tends to be oversrated in general. It's real, of course, as everyone has biases, but at least Sakurai seems to be self aware about it.

Also I'm pretty he's a lot less bias then most people accusing him of it are.

NineS

Smash Lord
Ridley, Dark Samus, and Ganondorf are the only exceptions to separations

Everyone else have to share rooms together (gonna be awkward for :ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser: and maybe :ultluigi::ultdaisy:)

Three versions of Samus in the same room...oh my (is that even too bad of a thing now that I think about it)
You're forgetting, THIS is Dark Samus.

Not to mention, I don't think Samus can even stand herself.

This thing would probably try to corrupt everyone in Smash into killing Samus and spread phazon like crazy.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

I mean, they had Bayonetta and Corrin as DLC, so there would be no problem having Geno as DLC and he would definitely sell very well. Sure, people outside of Smash wouldn't know who he was, but the Smash fanbase does and those would be the people buying him. Honestly, I'd say Geno has a better shot at DLC than base game because Square would make profits off the DLC sales. Otherwise, they would probably rather add a character for promotion purposes to the base game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

This thing would probably try to corrupt everyone in Smash into killing Samus and spread phazon like crazy.
Don’t worry I haven’t forgotten, but being forced to live together could be a good way to make them have a better relationship than Samus has with Ridley

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
See how you're doubting Geno right now?

That's why they throw in false names.

To make you doubt it and preserve the surprise.

Highly requested or not, you can't just not have fake leaks for your company with something like this. There's a big reason why.
I understand the point of view, and both point of view are right.

In the end, that characters will probably stay secret until announcement, but at the very least, neither """side"""" (I say side, because in the end, I keep repeating it, I just want another Square-Enix characters) shouldn't be surprised if IT IS Geno, or IF IT IS NOT Geno.
We just know that this characters exist, whoever it is.

After Schrödinger's cat, welcome to Schrödinger's Geno Theory.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Looking at this now, I wonder how many people can say they knew all of these facts before watching this video. I'm a bit ambivalent on Smash 4's "death".

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

My boi can probably eat the phazon and not be affected (and Kirby too) because my boi can eat anything

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Geno isn't in base, they may add him as DLC so Square or Nintendo can gauge his popularity.

Or add him just because of the ballot if he did decently.

edit: nvm I goofed, he get's a lot of requests anyway, according to Sakurai.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom