• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Question for the regulars (aka people who've been here for more than a week or 2 and consistently) - Have any of you guys made fake leaks on other sites, and then linked to it here, hoping to get us to discuss it? No judgment, just curious. Wondering if anyone will own up to it haha. I'm pretty confident it's happened... am I right?
Nope, never.
People will quickly adapt and learn to avoid Ridley's down-b with ease, at which point it's going be useless and only serve as a noob killer. Like, it's just as slow as Ike's F-Smash, but also has a sweetspot you need to land at the same time, it won't take long for it to be known as a proper meme attack.

Of course it being a noob killer is an issue for the less skilled players, but it really shouldn't be, a proper ranked mode would more or less eliminate that concern in any serious environment.
It will be a Noob Killer and a "Maximum Style Points" move.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
People will quickly adapt and learn to avoid Ridley's down-b with ease, at which point it's going be useless and only serve as a noob killer. Like, it's just as slow as Ike's F-Smash, but also has a sweetspot you need to land at the same time, it won't take long for it to be known as a proper meme attack.

Of course it being a noob killer is an issue for the less skilled players, but it really shouldn't be, a proper ranked mode would more or less eliminate that concern in any serious environment.
Hence why I said it won't be good in competitive but it will be crazy in casual play.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Ridley is going to be the Little Mac of the Ultimate.
I mean, Little Mac is a gimmick through and through, Ridley's down-b is just one move. If anyone I feel like Simon is going to be this game's Little Mac, people will initially have a lot of trouble dealing with his range and great zoning ability, but once they learn to punish his poor framedata he's going to be in for a hard time. Maybe that's more comparable to Shulk though.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, Little Mac is a gimmick through and through, Ridley's down-b is just one move. If anyone I feel like Simon is going to be this game's Little Mac, people will initially have a lot of trouble dealing with his range and great zoning ability, but once they learn to punish his poor framedata he's going to be in for a hard time. Maybe that's more comparable to Shulk though.
So you're telling me Simon has potential...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'd just ignore posts about endless circular speculation and neediness for reveals. They just don't have anything to talk about even built in...

So, do you consider yourself generally a good Smash player? I'm guessing yes. What I've seen of Ridley down-B has the various known downsides of using it at a high level (too slow/too particular). At a low level, it seems to have a very narrow sweetspot that requires spacing kinda away from the opponent. If you're good at Smash, that's going to be pretty realistic to hit with a lot if your opponent isn't actively making real problems for you, but I'm guessing a lot of actual low level players are going to find actually connecting against a target who is moving at all really hard. Of course you were kinda feasting on people who weren't familiar/comfortable and are probably the type of player who doesn't really have problems spacing his attacks anyway, and while it will certainly in the final game be a very powerful option for strong players to just humiliate weaker players, I don't think it looks likely to be a game dominator in matches involving all weaker players. I'm sure some low level players will really latch on to the ability to throw out one move like this and go for winning it all at once and will focus on practicing it (the same way you sometimes saw low level Melee players who picked Jigglypuff and basically just spammed Rest), but I suspect the buffs to Little Mac and Ike are going to relatively make far bigger waves on the lower rungs of the skill ladder since both of them are basically steamrollers against opponents who don't know what those shoulder buttons do.
That makes sense. If casuals have trouble dodging it, they probably have trouble hitting with it too.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah except Shulk players realized he was bad day one.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Does it scare anyone else at how fast :ultkrool:&:ultridley: are?
A lot of people don't seem to realize this for some reason, but Charizard has the 9th fastest run speed in all of Smash 4, placing just barely behind Sheik. I don't think there's anything to be scared of, superheavies struggle with combos and juggles no matter their ground speed.

D

Deleted member

BREAKING NEWS

SAKURAI ANNOUNCES SHULK 2

"HE HAS PROJECTILES INSTEAD OF MONADO ARTS," CONFIRMS DIRECTOR OF SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
In fairness Shulk was a pretty good character with customs on. Advancing Air Slash let him actually recover and play a good ledge game which was really important, and Decisive Monado Arts passed several thresholds of power to make him really dominating especially if he got a lead that mostly just didn't work out with the standard Monado Arts. Like normal Shield mostly dies off-stage and makes you wonder why you bothered; decisive Shield lives to 250% and just laughs at his opponent because it's so insanely heavy (with less time until you can re-Shield) that they won't even be getting you off-stage. Decisive Buster does damage in just hilarious ways and has similarly hilarious shield break set-ups. Decisive Smash is super scary to go into because you're stuck with the Smash debuff for a really long time, but it can end some stocks just insanely early. Decisive Speed loses the perfect SH height that normal Speed creates, but man, good luck reacting to that level of movement speed from the other side. Decisive Jump is not really good overall, but on some stages, at least it's a timeout waiting to happen if Shulk wants it! I think custom Shulk was probably about a top 15 character and super viable; people just gave up on customs before many people figured it out. Shulk was probably underrated even with customs off, but it was one of those cases of "everyone thinks this character is horrible, but he's really just slightly below average" that doesn't really do a lot for you to be right about since he still wasn't worth picking either way.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Go and check the boxart again, Melee featured Bowser, and Zelda in one of the little boxes.

Also:
Smash 3DS featured two (Rosalina and Little Mac) and Smash WiiU two as well.
Go and check the boxart again, Melee featured Bowser, and Zelda in one of the little boxes.

Also:
Smash 3DS featured two (Rosalina and Little Mac) and Smash WiiU two as well.
Woah, I thought someone said that one of the characters (Bowser, Zelda) was in the boxart of Ultimate yet they're not on there, which I thought was weird.

Looks like my mind wasn't clear enough. My mistake.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
BREAKING NEWS

SAKURAI ANNOUNCES SHULK 2

"HE HAS PROJECTILES INSTEAD OF MONADO ARTS," CONFIRMS DIRECTOR OF SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE.
HNNNG

MONADO PURGE IN SMASH WOULD BE SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
1537553256643.jpg
I just really wanted to use this reaction image, thank you for providing me the opportunity to use it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In fairness Shulk was a pretty good character with customs on. Advancing Air Slash let him actually recover and play a good ledge game which was really important, and Decisive Monado Arts passed several thresholds of power to make him really dominating especially if he got a lead that mostly just didn't work out with the standard Monado Arts. Like normal Shield mostly dies off-stage and makes you wonder why you bothered; decisive Shield lives to 250% and just laughs at his opponent because it's so insanely heavy (with less time until you can re-Shield) that they won't even be getting you off-stage. Decisive Buster does damage in just hilarious ways and has similarly hilarious shield break set-ups. Decisive Smash is super scary to go into because you're stuck with the Smash debuff for a really long time, but it can end some stocks just insanely early. Decisive Speed loses the perfect SH height that normal Speed creates, but man, good luck reacting to that level of movement speed from the other side. Decisive Jump is not really good overall, but on some stages, at least it's a timeout waiting to happen if Shulk wants it! I think custom Shulk was probably about a top 15 character and super viable; people just gave up on customs before many people figured it out. Shulk was probably underrated even with customs off, but it was one of those cases of "everyone thinks this character is horrible, but he's really just slightly below average" that doesn't really do a lot for you to be right about since he still wasn't worth picking either way.
So something something customs banned too early something something Shulk is underrated something something I'm so glad I'm a casual and I can play whoever I like however I like.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, who do you all think will be the Duck Hunt of Ultimate, if you get what I mean? Betting on :ultlink: or :ultsamus:.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah except Shulk players realized he was bad day one.
I am so upset that ZeRo kept letting his Xenoblade bias get in the way for as long as it did, because I swear he kept insisting Shulk had "potential" for like two years straight and I believed that ****.

And yeah, he does have potential... To be a little bit less bad. All you have to do is learn so many character specific advance techniques that would make even Melee want to cry. :chrono:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

HNNNG

MONADO PURGE IN SMASH WOULD BE SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD.
Not with Shulk's XB2 design it wouldn't
:4pacman:

So something something customs banned too early something something Shulk is underrated something something I'm so glad I'm a casual and I can play whoever I like however I like.
Shulk with customs is garbage. Shulk with modded customs is easily the best character in the game. Horizontal Air Slash, Bizarro Monado Arts, and x10 Monado Arts are super broken.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, who do you all think will be the Duck Hunt of Ultimate, if you get what I mean? Betting on :ultlink: or :ultsamus:.
So the fighter that will win more than one tournaments in Japan but still will be low tier in USA? I'd say :ultrichter:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Re: Ridley/K.rool talk

Ridley will get destroyed against any Swordman/combo heavy Characters. I can't wait to see the poor dragon vs Cloud/Marth/Ryu He will be a character that reward patience and smart play..

K.rool just look unoriginal as **** for me. Like...I look at his kit and I'm..."meh"

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pakky Pakky They were probably looking for a reaction, which they got.

Let's just ignore the troll everybody.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am so upset that ZeRo kept letting his Xenoblade bias get in the way for as long as it did, because I swear he kept insisting Shulk had "potential" for like two years straight and I believed that ****.

And yeah, he does have potential... To be a little bit less bad. All you have to do is learn so many character specific advance techniques that would make even Melee want to cry. :chrono:
This is actually the perfect example to bring up this:
If you don't have the time to watch it's basically a syndrome for all trash characters to have "potential" or "stuff they can do" but to never actually be able to actually capitalize on that. People will swear up and down of a character's potential, for the game's entire lifespan before hindsight can say "yeah. He was bad."

osby

Smash Obsessed
K.rool just look unoriginal as **** for me. Like...I look at his kit and I'm..."meh"
It's karma of half of the K.Rool fanbase dragging Corrin in the mud for being "unoriginal". Guess who has a counter now?

EDIT: No really, I still don't know what his "infinite moveset potential" was, he looks Smash 64 level basic. Not every character needs a gimmick but I don't see a reason for trying him out.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I going to have to agree with you on this one. I'm still happy for his fans,
but he just seems uninteresting to me. He's just not my type of character...
I really enjoy characters with unique move sets, like Corrin and possibly Inkling (haven't tried her out yet, but she looks super fun).
It's also why I'm looking forward to characters such as Elma and Incineroar

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Hey guys! Any ne...
126A1A79-99FA-4037-86E8-65D2B49AC478.gif
Well that happened.

Anyways, any news?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Simon is instantly banned in doubles.
And not Buster Bayonetta who does less knockback so more combo potential? Also in a 1v1 he gets a special easter egg similar to Base Vegeta's command grab in DBFZ if you hit it raw. The game freezes for a sec and Shulk goes "Aw ****. I can't believe I've done this"

Zero's a bad Smash player anyway, instead of watching and analysing the Smash trailers he whined about Samus' boobs
Re: Ridley/K.rool talk

Ridley will get destroyed against any Swordman/combo heavy Characters. I can't wait to see the poor dragon vs Cloud/Marth/Ryu He will be a character that reward patience and smart play..

K.Rool is a big chunky **** who's a bit of a zoner. He'll also suffer heavily under the old but gold "Bait and Wait" technique with Counter cause you can hold Smashes indefinitely now

Pakky

Smash Hero
I will fight you for having an opinion... in Smash!

Did you not see that sick set up with the cannonball?

Also the Crown might actually have set ups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom