• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
What is this nonsense about K.Rool being underwhelming? Every one of his specials and his FS directly reference his source material, plus his FSmash. And we haven't even seen his DSmash or USmash. How quickly we take things for granted even when they were never guaranteed.

Untouch

Smash Master
What is this nonsense about K.Rool being underwhelming? Every one of his specials and his FS directly reference his source material, plus his FSmash. And we haven't even seen his DSmash or USmash. How quickly we take things for granted even when they were never guaranteed.
It's the people who never wanted the character trying to tell people that they wanted him for the wrong reasons.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah their names are Belmont Boys, Ridley and Corrin
The whip is pretty much a gimmick in itself for the Belmonts, it doesn't have extra UI elements, meters or whatever, but it's still an extremely unique aspect of the characters just for the amount of range and control it provides you with. Like, which other character has so much control that they can even angle their F-Air? When you combine that with their range I can assure you that the characters are going to be anything but basic to play, they're going to stand out a lot. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line for a gimmicky character though, I think as a gameplay concept the Belmonts are at least up there with Mega Man in that regard, and I consider him to be in that category, while others might think you need something crazy like Little Mac or Rosalina.

I'm not saying that Ultimate is giving us too many gimmick characters mind you, and again I reiterate it's not a bad thing to have them, I love playing against those type of characters as they provide interesting challenges to have to work around. It's more that from Smash 4 and forward it feels like we've been getting more unconventional fighters than not, so it's also nice to see simplicity being embraced.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Once again that's not the characters fault but Sakurai for let's be honest here getting lazy with his moveset. Also I'm a HUGE K.Rool fan but I also love Fire Emblem. Do I think there is too many Fire Emblem characters? Yes. Would I cut any of them? No. I LOVE Ike, Roy, and now Chrom. Hell when I play as them I never even use Counter. Tired of the generalization that K.Rool fans ONLY care/want K.Rool and nobody else. I just love Nintendo characters and I couldn't give TWO ****s how they play as long as they're in the game. I'm a huge fan of Wario, Dark Samus, and Ganondorf even though they play NOTHING like how they should and how those 3 are the gold example of "lazy".
How on Earth is Sakurai being lazy?
Ever since Smash 4, He takes careful detail into making characters feel like their games of origin and K.Rool Doesn't seem any different. He managed to reference all 3 original DKC games as well as DK64 in his move set. How is that lazy? There really isn't much to go by in the original games... Sakurai kinda has to Improvise at some point. Besides, a counter seems like something K.rool would do. And counters aren't even that bad of a move... (As a Corrin main, I can tell you that the counter is an amazing move)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I could be wrong, but wasn't his down smash the burying stomp move at the end of his trailer?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
By these people's logic I guess Mario is lazy too since he has moves from the range of all of his games he was in.

Same with Link, Kirby, Pikachu and such. :rolleyes:

This drought really has resorted you all to this hasn't it? Bored out of your minds it seems at this point?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Once again that's not the characters fault but Sakurai for let's be honest here getting lazy with his moveset. Also I'm a HUGE K.Rool fan but I also love Fire Emblem. Do I think there is too many Fire Emblem characters? Yes. Would I cut any of them? No. I LOVE Ike, Roy, and now Chrom. Hell when I play as them I never even use Counter. Tired of the generalization that K.Rool fans ONLY care/want K.Rool and nobody else. I just love Nintendo characters and I couldn't give TWO ****s how they play as long as they're in the game. I'm a huge fan of Wario, Dark Samus, and Ganondorf even though they play NOTHING like how they should and how those 3 are the gold example of "lazy".
Considering how they dropped their desire for DK to get better overall representation I'm not sure if it's an overgeneralization. Also when using examples of laziness, don't use 2 characters who are clones, especially one who was only in because he could be added in Melee as a quick clone. Wario's not a lazy case either, people are just disappointed that Sakurai went for one Wario series for moves rather than the other

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My issue with counters is that outside of Bayonetta which has a broken counter, they all do the same stuff at vary levels of quality.

Compare that to Pokken which gave Mewtwo a counter that could do all this:
Can transition into Confusion (an attack) with A,
Telekenesis (a grab) with Y,
Drain Punch (a lunging healing attack) with X,
or Teleport above the enemy with B.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Re: Ridley/K.rool talk

Ridley will get destroyed against any Swordman/combo heavy Characters. I can't wait to see the poor dragon vs Cloud/Marth/Ryu He will be a character that reward patience and smart play..
Why swordsmen? Because Ridley's tail seems to be very disjointed and far longer than most swords in the game, and he also has a projectile which helps against many matchups. Combo-heavy characters WILL give him a problem though. Am pretty certain he'll lose out badly to the likes of Bayonetta, Diddy, Sheik, Mario and Mewtwo.

K.rool just look unoriginal as **** for me. Like...I look at his kit and I'm..."meh"

K.Rool looks mad as **** in this game. To me, he seems like the most versatile heavy weight, which has potential to be extremely good. :ultkrool:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay but seriously though, what's up Smash's recent love of counters? I know they wanted to include K.Rool's armor into his moveset in some way, but why not just give him a dedicated Super Armor move like Charizard's Rock Smash (RIP)?

Counters can be fun to throw out on occasion, but it can be really frustrating to be hit by one. I wouldn't mind if it was something only a couple characters could do, but at this point it's ridiculous. They're especially a pain when fighting against AI with their perfect reaction times. Thank goodness they didn't give Robin one.

KMDP

Smash Legend
FALCON PUNCH!!!
That's pretty much what I had in mind.

I am pretty sure people setting up and landing Ridley's Down-B in tournaments will be pretty hype. :laugh:

That is if Ridley ends up in a decent tier and people use him a lot in tournaments.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
King K. Rool's Moveset is perfectly fine. He's a big guy with a counter, which is cool. His crown fling and cannon gun gives him a projectile, and again, as a big guy, that's appreciated.

Honestly the only thing about K.Rool that's off to me is his run, but I've grown to like it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Every one of his specials and his FS feels like stuff other characters already does and don't stand out. This is a big difference from "potentially the most unique fighter" his fans used to say during DLC period. But I'm still waiting for his full moveset.

My issue with counters is that outside of Bayonetta which has a broken counter, they all do the same stuff at vary levels of quality.

Compare that to Pokken which gave Mewtwo a counter that could do all this:
Can transition into Confusion (an attack) with A,
Telekenesis (a grab) with Y,
Drain Punch (a lunging healing attack) with X,
or Teleport above the enemy with B.
Palutena.

D

Deleted member

Counters can be fun to throw out on occasion, but it can be really frustrating to be hit by one. I wouldn't mind if it was something only a couple characters could do, but at this point it's ridiculous. They're especially a pain when fighting against AI with their perfect reaction times. Thank goodness they didn't give Robin one.
I'm still hoping for a slight knockback reduction on Corrin's counter even if it was unchanged at E3. Easily my least favorite move in the entire game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Video footage of Ice Climber Blizzard desynchs, for anyone who was wondering what might be possible for them:

https://twitter.com/masarotom3/status/1049593210127843329?s=21
*sigh*

*deep sigh*

THIS IS WHY I WANTED THEM TO STAY REMOVED!

These characters are just BOUND to be broken, even without the grab shenanigans these characters just HAVE TO HAVE something seriously unbalanced.

Luckily there's patches now but damn, this is why I was happy to see them gone in Smash 4.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
How on Earth is Sakurai being lazy?
Ever since Smash 4, He takes careful detail into making characters feel like their games of origin and K.Rool Doesn't seem any different. He managed to reference all 3 original DKC games as well as DK64 in his move set. How is that lazy? There really isn't much to go by in the original games... Sakurai kinda has to Improvise at some point. Besides, a Counter seems like something K.rool would do. And counters aren't even that bad of a move...
I meant lazy in a lot of his moves. He did take good care of K.Rool I'm appreciative. I'm just saying if he REALLY wanted to make unique he could've by using the poison gases out the blunderbuss in DKC2. You know the ones that make people pause, reverse their controls, etc. That right their would've made him more unique. He's could've been an even bigger heavyweight zoner than he already is. I'm grateful for what we got I'm truly am but somehow I feel even if he did include that people who hate K.Rool would still find a way to complain about his moveset.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Because most supporters kept blabbing about “muh potential” and how K Rool had a lot of potential to be one of the most unique characters.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I feel like K Rool's counter is a reference to Krusha, when you jump on him as Diddy he makes the same animation and bounces you back.
I still wanted him to throw out a Klaptrap, but I thought his moveset was going to be a lot more trap focused (with the cannonballs I mentioned earlier).

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
There’s an exceeding amount of people in here who take a lot of pleasure in the dismay of others. All the K. Rool animosity seems to boil down to people wanting to be “right” about him to prove some spiteful point.

Like, he can exist in the same space as the sword wielders. He didn’t take their spot. I never believed they took his in previous games, either. What gives?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay but seriously though, what's up Smash's recent love of counters? I know they wanted to include K.Rool's armor into his moveset in some way, but why not just give him a dedicated Super Armor move like Charizard's Rock Smash (RIP)?

K.Rool's dash attack has armour judging by the trailer
It's the people who never wanted the character trying to tell people that they wanted him for the wrong reasons.
Nah fam I never cared for Final Fantasy let alone Cloud, mocked the idea of Corrin and more, yet I was instantly sold on their gameplay. Hell, if you dig back far enough you'd find posts of me whining that Ryu was in the gam Only thing that sold me was the Gangplank Galleon remix

D

Deleted member

Not much other then people due to being bored of no news coming up with things to complain like K. Rool being unoriginal despite ignoring majority of characters with movesets from many games.
What? Really? Geez. They finally get one of the most requested Smash newcomers ever, and now they complain about him?

osby

Smash Obsessed
*sigh*

*deep sigh*

THIS IS WHY I WANTED THEM TO STAY REMOVED!

These characters are just BOUND to be broken, even without the grab shenanigans these characters just HAVE TO HAVE something seriously unbalanced.

Luckily there's patches now but damn, this is why I was happy to see them gone in Smash 4.
Btw, why competitive Smash can only ban low tier characters?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I meant lazy in a lot of his moves. He did take good care of K.Rool I'm appreciative. I'm just saying if he REALLY wanted to make unique he could've by using the poison gases out the blunderbuss in DKC2. You know the ones that make people pause, reverse their controls, etc.
Um... Wouldn't that be a bit overpowered?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What? Really? Geez. They finally get one of the most requested Smash newcomers ever, and now they complain about him?
This community in a nutshell. This is what droughts will do to them when they get bored out of their minds. My only question is why target King K. Rool out of the 74 characters so far when the same can apply to them especially the original 8?

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
King K.Rool having a counter is weird, but it’s done in such a way that’s completely in-character, I can’t help but love it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The complaints are almost exclusively coming from the people who DIDN'T want him.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
What... about Palutena?
Her counter can reflect projectiles now.

Nah, the people who weren't crazy about him are complaining because he's not THAT unique that worth complaining about other characters being less interesting than his hypothetical self.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I dunno.

K. Rool's Blunderbuss can suck up a character instead of the cannonball, and launch them at another character (or more?) to deal damage to both.

Personally I care more about the character than how unique their moveset is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom