• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Am I the only one who wants a Fire Emblem character that can represent the Fire Emblem franchise as a whole?

I mean, the other options aren't bad, but Anna has been in nearly every Fire Emblem game there is. As well as the fact she's not necessarily limited to swords or tomes, and can use all of the above, depending on how you'd want her.
I don't know, I just feel like throwing Anna in as a Fire Emblem rep could add variety, and do more than represent a single Fire Emblem game.
I think the best way to represent FE would be through using the Summoner's Gun, Breidablik, which would be the FE equivalent of a Poke Ball. Featuring characters from all over the series like the Whitewings, Caeda, Mae, Reinhardt, Tiki, Panne, Lyn, Hector, Jaffar, Tibarn, Joshua, Frederick, Innes, Ashnard, Lyon etc.

But sadly that's gonna have to wait for the next game because of Lyn being an assist trophy.

Potato_

Smash Lord
In fact, had I my way with the FE Roster, I would've had the it be:

Marth, obligatory no.1
Anna, the mascot, recurring character, and possible multi-verse level god,
Ike, most popular dude
Lyn, most popular gal
Robin, most popular game
Honestly, despite the lack of Chrom (after I wanted him SO damn bad) and Hector I'd be happy with this.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's probably next.

Gaiden just needed it more cause well...

It was kinda ****.
You got my hopes up when you said Minish Cap, but you let me down in the end.

I'm surprised they didn't even release a damn virtual console release somewhere when a fan-translation has existed for a decade now.

Like, how are you going to call characters like Roy and Lucas all-stars when
1. No one outside of Japan has played those games
2. If they HAVE played those games, they did so, by your own standards, ILLEGALLY.
I wouldn't say that's a bad thing per say and more so that it shows the divide between development and marketing divisions within companies.

We're pretty lucky that Marth & Roy weren't cut for the overseas release of Melee.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You've gotten my respect
Crono is 100% a character no one really thinks about too much unless he showed up on some believable leak whereupon history would change to reflect that he was always a greatly demanded candidate.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Characters should represent themselves first, not the franchise, especially if they came from one that already has multiple characters. Moveset potential, popularity and importance to their games is also important (like, Anna was never that important for the plot).

That being said, I wouldn't mind Anna, she's fun.
I agree that characters should represent themselves first, but the difference is that there isn't a single Anna. There's likely over thousands of them.
Robin is to the Pokemon Trainer/Red as Anna is to Nurse Joy, or any pokemon, really.
In a similar way to how the Chocobo or Moogles are re-occuring in Final Fantasy, or Pikachus are considered the face of Pokemon. Admittedly, though, even Pikachu and Chocobos play some important role at least once in the franchise. At the same time, Anna does play a regular main role in a Fire Emblem Game... If you count Heroes, that is.
Wait hold up, am I going crazy or does Anna have 6 fingers on her hand in this picture.
I counted, and yes. She has 6 fingers.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Crono is 100% a character no one really thinks about too much unless he showed up on some believable leak whereupon history would change to reflect that he was always a greatly demanded candidate.
If it wasn't for the ballot, I'd consider Crono a top contender for the fabled second Square rep. Makes more sense than Geno. A lot more sense.

Ballot makes everything so weird though.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, another Zelda debate!

I’m in the ‘Zelda is poorly repped’ camp. Yeah, we got loads of assists/items/stages, but I’d trade loads of that for characters. Incidentally, I’d also trade a few FE clones for some FE stages as well.

I think the top one I have is Midna. Of all of the Zelda ‘helper’ characters, she had the best personality - Navi had nothing, Fi was basically an advanced Navi, Tatl got a backstory and some sass, but Midna was the one who you hated at the beginning of the game and grew to like by the end. She had the best development while still being interesting and tricksy.

The Champs all have personalities as well, but each has one that will grate on at least one person. Urbosa as the ‘badass team mom,’ Daruk as the ‘big, dumb, and scared of nothing but ine innocuous thing,’ Revali as the ‘narcisstic asshole,’ and Mipha as the ‘typical love interest.’ I honestly can’t stand Mipha in BotW, but I love Urbosa and I have a love/hate thing with Birdbrain.

If it were up to me, I’d really want to see Urbosa and Midna in, with Skull Kid and Ghirahim behind them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Geno does get into the game whether base or DLC. This is how I think the SMRPG content should go is

Assist Trophy: Mallow
Stage: Bowser's Castle
Boss: Exor (Appears on Bowser's Castle)
Trophies: Mallow, Exor, Axem Rangers, Smithy, Bowyer

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Yeah he's definitely a character I can feel a lot of people getting behind if they were just given a little nudge toward his general direction

osby

Smash Obsessed
If it wasn't for the ballot, I'd consider Crono a top contender for the fabled second Square rep. Makes more sense than Geno. A lot more sense.

I mean, aside from echoes, newcomers we got until now wasn't that weird... maybe except K.Rool.

I still don't think ballot is going to be make characters like Geno suddenly rational choises.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Sometimes I wish the oracles would have stayed in the series as recurring characters, so I could have Din as a female version of Captain Falcon.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ooh, another Zelda debate!

I’m in the ‘Zelda is poorly repped’ camp. Yeah, we got loads of assists/items/stages, but I’d trade loads of that for characters. Incidentally, I’d also trade a few FE clones for some FE stages as well.

I think the top one I have is Midna. Of all of the Zelda ‘helper’ characters, she had the best personality - Navi had nothing, Fi was basically an advanced Navi, Tatl got a backstory and some sass, but Midna was the one who you hated at the beginning of the game and grew to like by the end. She had the best development while still being interesting and tricksy.

The Champs all have personalities as well, but each has one that will grate on at least one person. Urbosa as the ‘badass team mom,’ Daruk as the ‘big, dumb, and scared of nothing but ine innocuous thing,’ Revali as the ‘narcisstic *******,’ and Mipha as the ‘typical love interest.’ I honestly can’t stand Mipha in BotW, but I love Urbosa and I have a love/hate thing with Birdbrain.

If it were up to me, I’d really want to see Urbosa and Midna in, with Skull Kid and Ghirahim behind them.
Mipha is adorable, we can't be friends anymore.

Midna is also my number one choice for a Zelda newcomer, so we're friends again.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Man, I just wanna say that no matter how this roster selection ends, with DLC and all, I wish everyone the best of luck getting their picks.

- I hope Geno, Rayman and Banjo make it through, being highly desired and requested 3rd party characters and Nintendo's good relationship with Square, Ubisoft, and Microsoft respectively. Additionally I hope Activision gets to join in the fun someday and Spyro and Crash have the opportunity.

-I hope other 3rd party reps have a shot, namely Dante, Phoenix Wright, Chrono, Sora, Lloyd, Heihachi/Yoshimitsu, Agumon, etc.

- I hope RH and Golden Sun fans finally get a character represented in Smash. It's about time.

- I hope Porky/Masked Man, Kamek, Black Shadow, Hades/Medusa, Skull Kid and Shadow/Robotnik fans all get their pick at more great series villains.

- I hope Dixie, Tails, BWD, Impa,Reyn, Elma, Rex, Paper Mario, King Boo, Petey Piranha, and any other characters in forgetting have an opportunity for representation in Smash.

Just hold out hope for your picks until the end of DLC (which is likely coming), it's never impossible to imagine them join.Seriously though, my biggest hope is that everyone gets the best chances to get their favorite characters in, be it a surprising number of echo or unique fighters in base, or really healthy DLC support.

This game can be supported for many years and people would eat the content up in droves. Let's hope that support will follow this way and many people get what they want in order to call the game truly "Ultimate" for themselves. This is the biggest opportunity many of these characters have ever had.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pssst.
Hey Sakurai.
If you ever need ideas on how to declone the Links and Ganondorf while making them more true to canon...
Or needed moveset ideas for the other Zelda characters...
I've got a really good game you can check out:

NineS

Smash Lord

Crono would definitely be a top contender for the second square rep, but I feel a Dragon Quest rep would come first, seeing how big the Franchise is and how well known it is. It could be any main character, but personally, I'd prefer the Slime, the mascot of Dragon Quest. It's even got it's own little spin-off series and crossovers with Mario.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I mean, aside from echoes, newcomers we got until now wasn't that weird... maybe except K.Rool.

I still don't think ballot is going to be make characters like Geno suddenly rational choises.
Geno will never be a rational choice, but I do think he probably got enough votes to be considered in some capacity (I subscribe to the "Mii costumes may've been in part based on ballot" theory) whereas I'd be very surprised if Crono got many at all.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Mipha is adorable, we can't be friends anymore.

Midna is also my number one choice for a Zelda newcomer, so we're friends again.
It’s ok, Mipha has great potential. As long as Urbosa’s in, then Mipha can come too. :shades:

I know it’ll never happen, but I’d love to have all four champs, either all as low-effort frankenclones or transformations. That’s the main reason I want Koei to just make one more HW DLC...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, despite the lack of Chrom (after I wanted him SO damn bad) and Hector I'd be happy with this.
This is only if we had to limit it to 5.

Otherwise, I might go crazy cutting stuff to make room for all the FE I want to put into Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even if Geno is DLC I'll still be relatively surprised if he doesn't make Base as its clear even Sakurai wants him and tried to get him in back in the days of Brawl.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Maybe. If Geno gets in it will be due to the popularity he had prior to the ballot (probably like Ridley), as during the ballot era his popularity had tanked quite a bit from the standing it used to hold. Only the costume and Sakurai's statement kickstarted it back to where it is now. Well, that and Ultimate's previous inclusions.

But yeah from a character standpoint I do think Crono makes more sense than Geno, even with Geno being a Mario character.

From a character standpoint Geno will never be a rational choice, he's a one-off supporting character from an old spin-off game.

From a situational standpoint, he's a character previously considered with high popularity (in a game where such a quality is valued), the company on board, and the character previously implemented in the last game. So I do believe him to be a rational expectation.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It’s ok, Mipha has great potential. As long as Urbosa’s in, then Mipha can come too. :shades:

I know it’ll never happen, but I’d love to have all four champs, either all as low-effort frankenclones or transformations. That’s the main reason I want Koei to just make one more HW DLC...
It actually feels pretty weird we never got a Gerudo character (besides obviously GDorf) in HW.

I feel if they make a HW 2, they should include Urbosa and Revali as unique playable characters while having Daruk and Mipha costumes and weapons for Darunia and Ruto.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Lol at people saying Zelda has no recurring characters.

Think again, honey.
Well, Almost.
She'd be absent in Zelda 1, Adventure of Link, Four Swords, FSA, Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Potato_

Smash Lord
The Champs all have personalities as well, but each has one that will grate on at least one person. Urbosa as the ‘badass team mom,’ Daruk as the ‘big, dumb, and scared of nothing but ine innocuous thing,’ Revali as the ‘narcisstic *******,’ and Mipha as the ‘typical love interest.’ I honestly can’t stand Mipha in BotW, but I love Urbosa and I have a love/hate thing with Birdbrain.

Honestly that was my biggest problem with the Champions. You had such little time to get to know each of them so they basically become caricatures of their trope in an effort for you to "get" who they are as people. Daruk felt like Darunia done worse, easily the most forgettable for me. Mipha was okay, especially with her side story of becoming "of age" and all in Zora culture, (especially in such a sensitive time in Hyrule) but for some reason I never felt attached to her. Revali and Urbosa were my two favorites, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's because I'm not sick of their type of character yet.

The other thing about them is that they feel so dependent on each other as a concept. Most of the time you don't think of them independently but as a group, the Champions. Personally it would feel weird to me to have an individual Champion over the other three, if they were in I'd want them to be in as a group, whether that be a character, AT, stage hazard or whatever.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the community isn't even the biggest thing making me think Crono isn't likely, it's how Square has kinda left the game and series as a whole by the wayside. Despite the obvious money that could be made they leave the series alone. They even put the subpar mobile version of the game as is on steam, yeah they fixed it after backlash, but if it was something they cared about and wanted to do something with they wouldn't have pasted the mobile version on steam in the first place.

So yeah it's Squenix that gives me pause the most about his chances

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly that was my biggest problem with the Champions. You had such little time to get to know each of them so they basically become caricatures of their trope in an effort for you to "get" who they are as people. Daruk felt like Darunia done worse, easily the most forgettable for me. Mipha was okay, especially with her side story of becoming "of age" and all in Zora culture, (especially in such a sensitive time in Hyrule) but for some reason I never felt attached to her. Revali and Urbosa were my two favorites, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's because I'm not sick of their type of character yet.

The other thing about them is that they feel so dependent on each other as a concept. Most of the time you don't think of them independently but as a group, the Champions. Personally it would feel weird to me to have an individual Champion over the other three, if they were in I'd want them to be in as a group, whether that be a character, AT, stage hazard or whatever.
That's kinda my issue with BotW as a whole.
It aint got no story.

Just, a ****-ton of interesting back-story which doesn't get expanded upon. Like, instead of Daruk telling me about all the broventures we went on or being told about the sexual tension with Mipha or being explained that Revali was my friendly rival, I'd like to experience it, through I dunno, GAMEPLAY?

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I do hope I'm not the only one here who actually liked Fi.

This is such a nice piece of fanart that I might actually use it as my avatar here after October and Halloween have passed lol
Of course not. I'd love to have Fi in Smash as well too as a newcomer. I even made a newcomer pitch for her too in another thead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom