• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Quick question. I know we all have characters that we have all come into terms with that probably won't be in Smash.
What's the most out-there or questionable character you would want in Smash as a Character? I mean, just crazy or unlikely characters. Like any Sony-owned characters
Deathborn

No wait Jehuty

Okay but in all seriousness it's
My oc's

if you do want a honest answer it's going to be Rash from Battletoads

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Persona 2 duology was fine but I found the second game kinda redundant in some aspect, not my favourite entry.

Persona 4 has its own plot but 5 definitely copied from it.

Lotus Juice is a valid reason to add any character.

Heroine would be great but only way she works as an echo would be giving her a sword/giving Leader a spear.
Yeah, which is why it's only my 2nd favorite compared to P3 which is just... so well done. It's like MGS2 vs. MGS3. One tried to do interesting weird stuff for a unique story, while one was just ditches the weird metaphysical nonsense and just tried to tell a good emotional story period. 4's definitely got more variance, but my issue with 4's plot is that it was literally just Jojo Part 4's plot and only at the end hard shifts into "deity wants to do the bad stuff to humanity" plot thread.

Anyway idea for Heroine would be just make the MCs not wield anything normally, but have them bring out weapons when they need them, so you could include both the naginata and the shortsword in both their movesets.

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Quick question. I know we all have characters that we have all come into terms with that probably won't be in Smash.
What's the most out-there or questionable character you would want in Smash as a Character? I mean, just crazy or unlikely characters. Like any Sony-owned characters
Monokuma from Danganronpa.

Nuff said. ;)

Arcad5

Smash Cadet
Sora would be a legal nightmare, but people talk about him plenty, so I won't go into him.

He wouldn't add a lot moveset-wise, but Wander from Shadow of the Colossus has always been a dream of mine. That, and imagine a SotC stage.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh gee, I have absolutely no clue...

Is this Super Mario Z?

That was my **** back when it was still running. It's a shame it never got finished.
Sora would be a legal nightmare, but people talk about him plenty, so I won't go into him.

He wouldn't add a lot moveset-wise, but Wander from Shadow of the Colossus has always been a dream of mine. That, and imagine a SotC stage.
14854660.jpg

How many times do we have to say that Sora isn't as unlikely as many people make him out to be?

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I've got 2:

For unlikely: KOS-MOS from Xenosaga. As much as I want her in, I know she has a very small chance to get into the base roster.

For crazy: Tetris Block. The one retro rep we need, but are unworthy of having.

D

Deleted member

Any of these guys right here:

Except Nanashi. Screw Nanashi.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Wait...

I get that this is a personal want but...

You diss Sora of all characters for lack of moveset potential but want Wander, the guy who literally just swings a normal broadsword?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, which is why it's only my 2nd favorite compared to P3 which is just... so well done. It's like MGS2 vs. MGS3. One tried to do interesting weird stuff for a unique story, while one was just ditches the weird metaphysical nonsense and just tried to tell a good emotional story period. 4's definitely got more variance, but my issue with 4's plot is that it was literally just Jojo Part 4's plot and only at the end hard shifts into "deity wants to do the bad stuff to humanity" plot thread.

Anyway idea for Heroine would be just make the MCs not wield anything normally, but have them bring out weapons when they need them, so you could include both the naginata and the shortsword in both their movesets.
Don't want to keep the topic away from Smash too long but:

Actually, I'd say P4 does its foreshadowing good with two Sagiris and endgame really ties well with the themes. Izanami is the literal reason why everything in the game happens: Because nobody in Inaba can face real life. And it's not like Persona 3 wasn't Evangelion

But yeah, it's hardly the best game in terms of making plot feel coherent.

About Smash: Even if it's one move, I love we have a summoner in shape of Zelda. One of the reasons she's so cool in Ultimate is how well they corparated Phantom into her.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I hope there is a Smash Direct later today *fingerscrossed*
I saw a dude on Reddit say "if we don't get one this week, we're 100% getting one next week". And I'm just like... Is this what insanity looks like?

D

Deleted member

I hope so. But it'd be more likely for them to announce it today and do it for tomorrow.

Unless they quite literally just drop the direct announcement and the direct itself on the same day. I'm not sure if they've ever done such a thing.
I've just come to accept that we will forever be stuck in limbo.

Also, glad to see another 2B supporter around here!

NineS

Smash Lord
I saw a dude on Reddit say "if we don't get one this week, we're 100% getting one next week". And I'm just like... Is this what insanity looks like?
Maybe not insanity, but definitely desperation.
Take it from me, a Ridley supporter the last Smash speculation cycle. When you're looking for info and announcements, you get desperate. I mean, we analyzed that shadow of Ridley like insane and considered it as teasing to Ridley being a playable character.

Still, it was enjoyable being able to talk with everyone on here during that Speculation Cycle.

Now I just wish I hadn't forgotten what my account was before this one so I could log into that one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait...

I get that this is a personal want but...

You diss Sora of all characters for lack of moveset potential but want Wander, the guy who literally just swings a normal broadsword?
err, no.
He said "He wouldn't add a lot moveset-wise, but Wander..." referring to Wander from SotC, which, if you recall, had exactly one move he used: climbing on a dude, and stabbing the **** out of him.
Don't want to keep the topic away from Smash too long but:

Actually, I'd say P4 does its foreshadowing good with two Sagiris and endgame really ties well with the themes. Izanami is the literal reason why everything in the game happens: Because nobody in Inaba can face real life. And it's not like Persona 3 wasn't Evangelion

But yeah, it's hardly the best game in terms of making plot feel coherent.

About Smash: Even if it's one move, I love we have a summoner in shape of Zelda. One of the reasons she's so cool in Ultimate is how well they corparated Phantom into her.
ah dammit, now I can't stop making EVA parallels.
Yeah I wish the whole deity plotline tied a bit better into the serial killer plotline, but that's just me.

Also, I actually tried making a character moveset revolve around summons in my SMT thread. It's a bit unconventional trying to balance around that.

It really doesn't work when you don't build your lore on human psyche and relationships' power on material world. SMT wasn't Persona.
Exactly.

Pluuuuuuuus, killing YHVH is kinda a big deal considering the only other guy to do it is cursed into an endless cycle of reincarnation and torment as his eternal punishment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'know, I almost feel sorry for IV Apocalypse. It tried to do something different with the SMT series, but choose the wrong way to do it. And now, it has become the whipping boy of the SMT fanbase. Guess that's what you get when you try to hard to be Persona AKA Something SMT NEVER Was Nor Hopefully Ever Will Become.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know, I almost feel sorry for IV Apocalypse. It tried to do something different with the SMT series, but choose the wrong way to do it. And now, it has become the whipping boy of the SMT fanbase. Guess that's what you get when you try to hard to be Persona AKA Something SMT NEVER Was Nor Hopefully Ever Will Become.
The worst part is they added a tacked on "Anarchy route" which basically just turns SMT into the edgelord fantasy SMT is memed up to be.

Like wow, seriously? After an adventure filled with friendship, I have the option to straight up backstab everyone at the 11th hour, murder the last of humanity, become the new god of the world, and then resurrect one of my friends as essentially a mindless slave that's okay with all of this?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I actually liked we can actually have a party that shows how diverse SMT world can be but it didn't turned out so well. At least gameplay was quite possibly one of the best in the series.

Shroob

Sup?
I've never been a fan of the general SMT games because both Law and Chaos routes are effective two halves of the same coin. They're both a ****ty ending and the only time you'll ever have a 'good' ending is Neutral.

D

Deleted member

I actually liked we can actually have a party that shows how diverse SMT world can be but it didn't turned out so well. At least gameplay was quite possibly one of the best in the series.
Yeah. The gameplay was the only good thing from Apocalypse, as well as the soundtrack. Story and Characters on the other hand? Big Nope.

The worst part is they added a tacked on "Anarchy route" which basically just turns SMT into the edgelord fantasy SMT is memed up to be.

Like wow, seriously? After an adventure filled with friendship, I have the option to straight up backstab everyone at the 11th hour, murder the last of humanity, become the new god of the world, and then resurrect one of my friends as essentially a mindless slave that's okay with all of this?
"B-But don't you see? We have your friends guilt trip you to show you how much of monster you are for betraying the power of FRIENDSHIP!"
Me, as some who genuinely like SMT IV:

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've never been a fan of the general SMT games because both Law and Chaos routes are effective two halves of the same coin. They're both a ****ty ending and the only time you'll ever have a 'good' ending is Neutral.
Nah, same. I only go for "return everything to back" when playing Nocturne. Same with IV.

Arcad5

Smash Cadet
How many times do we have to say that Sora isn't as unlikely as many people make him out to be?
I'd say at best Sora might get DLC, but I think Sakurai/Nintendo would want to push other characters first. Not saying it's impossible, I just don't see it happening. Maybe it's just me being pessimistic, I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Is this Super Mario Z?

That was my **** back when it was still running. It's a shame it never got finished.

View attachment 169066

What's even more exhausting is when an apparently "impossible" character is revealed (e.g., Cloud, Snake returning, Ridley), some of those same people go, "It was obvious all along."

As I've said, Sora is no more a legal nightmare than any other third party character--like any business, all Disney cares about is money. If the relevant people are on board (e.g., Sakurai, Nomura, etc) I can't see any issues other than the standard legalities (which are immense, but universal among third parties). Disney characters are the only unique aspect that could potentially be challenging depending on how Sakurai would want to handle it, but they are not required for the character of Sora in and of itself. This isn't a birthday cake that has Mickey Mouse on it--Nintendo's a big company, Smash is an overwhelmingly successful title, and given their relationships, if they wanted to, can get **** done.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
err, no.
He said "He wouldn't add a lot moveset-wise, but Wander..." referring to Wander from SotC, which, if you recall, had exactly one move he used: climbing on a dude, and stabbing the **** out of him.
Oh....

I misread entirely.

My bad.

D

Deleted member

Nah, same. I only go for "return everything to back" when playing Nocturne. Same with IV.
I play SMT for the interesting pyscological aspect of the games. Plus the setting and music is usually awesome.

Well, regardless, I still have confidence in SMT V.

D

Deleted member

Hell, even Neutral won't solve all the problems, as you're really delaying the inevetable.

But, to each their own. I personally love the games, with Nocturne and IV being some of my favorites from the series.

D

Deleted member

Is this what it feels like for non-Pokemon fans whenever we dive into ten pages of Pokemon discussion?
I'm completely lost...
What are lost about? Me and couple of other were discussing SMT, if you're confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom