• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know that, I just know nothing about SMT :laugh:.
Boy meets girl. Boy makes a demon summoning program. Girls turns out to be reincarnation of a goddess. Doomsday ensues. THEN, things starts to get weird.

Typical stuff.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've never been a fan of the general SMT games because both Law and Chaos routes are effective two halves of the same coin. They're both a ****ty ending and the only time you'll ever have a 'good' ending is Neutral.
The cyclical nature and extremist views are actually criticized by the White in SMT4 which are ultra-nihilist "why are we here, just to suffer? Just nuke it all," mentality, and a method of ending it in 3, just destroying time-space. At least neutral keeps things relatively non-****ty, before the next cataclysm.

(Except 4A, which has the good ending, the edgy good ending, and Law and Chaos are the joke endings.)

It's really more of a worldbuilding tool to characterize the other characters' motivations to tell interesting weird stories than anything else, really.
Something something, nuke Japan, something something, demons, something something, it's weird.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jokes aside, one of the reasons SMT is so niche that every title is a bit too self contained. As a result, every new game feels like a spin-off sometimes and struggles to keep a big, consistent fanbase. I can't explain SMT to my friends properly, because games have almost nothing to do with each other once you move past themes and world.

That's why Persona is more popular, because it can be experimental without feeling completely like a new series. then again, it also can be somewhat repetitive

Anyway, need to go to class, see you guys!

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Jokes aside, one of the reasons SMT is so niche that every title is a bit too self contained. As a result, every new game feels like a spin-off sometimes and struggles to keep a big, consistent fanbase. I can't explain SMT to my friends properly, because games have almost nothing to do with each other once you move past themes and world.

That's why Persona is more popular, because it can be experimental without feeling completely like a new series. then again, it also can be somewhat repetitive

Also it had quite a bit of localization issues...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Also it had quite a bit of localization issues...
Localization issues?
I don't see how you mean
homeslice.jpg

They shoulda used short hair Nozomi if they were gonna go full waifu, smh.

Also doesn't help that titles are release literal DECADES from each other, without the benefit of spinoff material to retain relevancy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah, well allow me to give you some context. *ahem*

Shin Megami Tensei was created in 1992. The series usually deals with a post apocalyptic world invaded by demons and torn between the forces of Law and Chaos. Law wishes to control the world under complete iron rule, while Chaos seeks to liberate the world to where only the strong survive. The player must decide which force they wish to align themselves with, or they can choose their own path with the Neutral choice.
Like Pokemon, SMT uses monsters for combat. Here are a few thing you should know about SMT's gameplay;
  • Unlike the Pokemon Trainers, the player actually fights alongside their demons using swords, guns, and later in the future installments, magic.
  • Unlike Pokemon which teaches you that Pokemon are your friends, Demons in SMT are more like an extension of your equipment rather than creates you raise to be the very best. If Pokemon are supposed to be your lifelong buddies, the SMT's Demons can be considered your co-workers in your job.
  • Items are very, very useful in SMT. Some items can completely heal you and your party, while other items can debuff you enemies or buff you parties stats to ridicolus levels.
  • The Press Turn System is an extremely crucial part of Nocturne's and IV's gameplay. It's basically Pokemon's weakness system on steroids. If you deal an attack that the enemy is weak too, you gain an extra turn in battle. The same happens when you get a critical hit. But be careful! The enemy also has access to this system as well, and can very easily screw you over if you are not prepared.
  • Demon Fusion is a system where you can fuse two different Demons to make a stronger Demon. This is a very useful mechanic to gain more powerful Demons in the game.
If you want a better explination, check out Rasan Bran's Guide to Shin Megami Tensei videos here:
Hope this helps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd say at best Sora might get DLC, but I think Sakurai/Nintendo would want to push other characters first. Not saying it's impossible, I just don't see it happening. Maybe it's just me being pessimistic, I'll be happy if I'm wrong.
I was gonna make an elaborate point, but CosmicQuark CosmicQuark made it better than I did:
As I've said, Sora is no more a legal nightmare than any other third party character--like any business, all Disney cares about is money. If the relevant people are on board (e.g., Sakurai, Nomura, etc) I can't see any issues other than the standard legalities (which are immense, but universal among third parties). Disney characters are the only unique aspect that could potentially be challenging depending on how Sakurai would want to handle it, but they are not required for the character of Sora in and of itself. This isn't a birthday cake that has Mickey Mouse on it--Nintendo's a big company, Smash is an overwhelmingly successful title, and given their relationships, if they wanted to, can get **** done.
Sora is just another third party character in terms of legalities. It's irritating that people continue to use "Disney is the legal devil" argument because it's been debunked so many ****ing times.

Also, in terms of popularity, Sakurai and Nintendo are gonna want to add him fast, because he's performing large in recent fan polls.
He has a surprising amount of fan poll presence that people seem to underestimate. Top 5 expected characters for Smash in a poll held by a massive Japanese magazine, 5th place in the most recent fan poll with the most votes from outside the Smash fanbase, 1st place for most wanted Italian pick (My people do me proud), second in the original Dengeki Smash poll (this one could be wrong as it's based off a post detailing a fake second fan poll), top 5 in this Japanese fan poll. He's also ZeRo's most wanted character if that means anything.
I wouldn't be surprised if he performed very well in the Ballot as well, considering that the entire Kingdom Hearts fanbase rallied behind him (read: multiple Youtubers with subscriber counts in the ten-thousands and hundred-thousands, multiple fan forums and websites including Reddit, Twitter accounts and campaigns, etc.).

Sora will be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, whether it be as base or DLC.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lets not forget with Kingdom Hearts III around the corner would be a good way of promoting the game by featuring him.

I suspect if anything though he'll likely be DLC.

D

Deleted member

I think Sora would be cool as DLC. He has a crap ton of potential moves to pull from. Seriously, have you seen what he can do in KHIII?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Shin Megami Tensei was created in 1992. The series usually deals with a post apocalyptic world invaded by demons and torn between the forces of Law and Chaos. Law wishes to control the world under complete iron rule, while Chaos seeks to liberate the world to where only the strong survive. The player must decide which force they wish to align themselves with, or they can choose their own path with the Neutral choice.
Like Pokemon, SMT uses monsters for combat. Here are a few thing you should know about SMT's gameplay;
  • Unlike the Pokemon Trainers, the player actually fights alongside their demons using swords, guns, and later in the future installments, magic.
  • Unlike Pokemon which teaches you that Pokemon are your friends, Demons in SMT are more like an extension of your equipment rather than creates you raise to be the very best. If Pokemon are supposed to be your lifelong buddies, the SMT's Demons can be considered your co-workers in your job.
  • Items are very, very useful in SMT. Some items can completely heal you and your party, while other items can debuff you enemies or buff you parties stats to ridicolus levels.
  • The Press Turn System is an extremely crucial part of Nocturne's and IV's gameplay. It's basically Pokemon's weakness system on steroids. If you deal an attack that the enemy is weak too, you gain an extra turn in battle. The same happens when you get a critical hit. But be careful! The enemy also has access to this system as well, and can very easily screw you over if you are not prepared.
  • Demon Fusion is a system where you can fuse two different Demons to make a stronger Demon. This is a very useful mechanic to gain more powerful Demons in the game.
If you want a better explination, check out Rasan Bran's Guide to Shin Megami Tensei videos here:
Also, this is canon
29094563_1980717565516078_9137008645488246784_n.jpg

Like, not even "lol weird cameo" but Dante is an actually major character in SMT3 and is completely canon.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Persona plays exactly like this (demons for combat, useful items, Press Turn even though it's renamed, and Demon Fusion), but the games tend to have a more upbeat story compared to "post-apocalyptic wasteland ruled by demons."
Up until the evil God reveals themselves and forces you to watch as they wipe your entire party from existence. Those scenes in Persona 4 & 5 both **** me up.
They also have day-to-day slice of life portions of gameplay to break up the demon fighting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Persona plays exactly like this, but the games tend to have a more upbeat story compared to "post-apocalyptic wasteland ruled by demons."
Up until the evil God reveals themselves and forces you to watch as they wipe your entire party from existence. Those scenes in Persona 4 & 5 both **** me up.
They also have day-to-day slice of life portions of gameplay to break up the demon fighting.
Yeah, the two series are like two sides of the same Atlus coin. Or like brother series.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be surprised if he performed very well in the Ballot as well, considering that the entire Kingdom Hearts fanbase rallied behind him (read: multiple Youtubers with subscriber counts in the ten-thousands and hundred-thousands, multiple fan forums and websites including Reddit, Twitter accounts and campaigns, etc.).

If Kingdom Hearts ever gets into Smash, can that series at the very least not get the Final Fantasy treatment, when it comes to music? I give that series ****, but there's definitely one thing I won't throw **** at and it's the music, there's some pretty fire stuff in the games.

D

Deleted member

I'll say this though. If Sora ever gets into Smash, I know a few certain Kingdom Hearts Youtubers that will lose their absolute **** if it happens lol.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'll say this though. If Sora ever gets into Smash, I know a few certain Kingdom Hearts Youtubers that will lose their absolute **** if it happens lol.
Dude everyone would lose their ****.

Sora is one of the few characters left who could legitimately set the internet on fire if they were revealed. I'd put him alongside:
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Master Chief
  • Steve
  • Goku
  • A Playstation Rep (Kratos, Sackboy, etc.)
  • Maybe another Capcom rep (i.e. Dante, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright)
"Kingdom Hearts Youtubers?" I don't know what you could possibly mean...

Nah I'm thinking this guy:
1450055371043.png

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Man, eventually i need to play a kingdom hearts game cause i know **** all about sora or what his deal is. The only thing thats still keeping me away is the supposedly extremely complicated plot.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Man, eventually i need to play a kingdom hearts game cause i know **** all about sora or what his deal is. The only thing thats still keeping me away is the supposedly extremely complicated plot.
Start from the beginning. It's one of those "how do you eat a dinosaur" situations. One bite at a time. If you have a PS4, almost all of the KH content is in one package, "Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix," although some of the "games" only have cutscenes...

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I'd follow Zinith Zinith 's advice, but if the platforming in Kingdom Hearts 1 feels too stiff, put it on hold and go straight to Kingdom Hearts 2, then Birth By Sleep, then Dream Drop Distance, before circling back around to KH1 and Re:CoM. 358/2 Days and Re:Coded are the games that only feature cutscenes.

Storywise? Sit down, kick back, relax, and witness the most deliciously hammy fanfic ever written (note: link contains spoilers for the first game ayy lmao) play out on your television screen.

Quick question. I know we all have characters that we have all come into terms with that probably won't be in Smash.
What's the most out-there or questionable character you would want in Smash as a Character? I mean, just crazy or unlikely characters. Like any Sony-owned characters
Chell, Aloy, the Doki Doki Literature Club characters.

/thread

tbh though same.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't worry, I got you.
The worst part is that this is actually 95% accurate.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't go that far, I think he could happen as DLC (doubt him for base game), but he's certainly not guaranteed. When it comes to 3rd party characters there are so many more external factors at play than just what we know of, and whether you like it or not having two 3rd party studios involved would make it one of the most complicated characters to include they've ever done, even if all three parts are cooperative. Quoting fan polls is in no way hard proof of his eventual inclusion either, character who have done better than Sora on those have been passed on before, I'm certainly not going to be shocked if someone who made 5th place on various polls doesn't get in.

I feel like people are letting the KH3 hype get to their heads, it could happen, but that's about the extend of his likelihood imo. That doesn't mean I'm anti-Sora or I think he's impossible, he definitely isn't, but I don't think there's any way it should be considered a given that he'll happen either, I'd even say that's slightly disrespectful to the huge operation that it'd be.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Don't worry, I got you.

After watching that, I'm gonna have to relax with something less confusing that won't be nearly as brain-breaking by reading my book on quantum mechanics. :p

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
It's not complicated. Just play the games in the order they're shown to you in the collections and you'll be fine. If you have a PS4 you can play pretty much any KH-title to date (though 2 games sadly only have their cutscenes in the collection).

I also strongly recommend you don't watch the "Kingdom Hearts Explained"-Video that was posted above if you actually want to experience the story on your own.

Don't worry, I got you.
Really? You, wanna potentially spoil the story for someone, who is just talking about maybe getting into it? :(

Last edited:

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Man, I've been through both Brawl's and Smash 4's hype cycles, but Ultimate's has easily been the weirdest feeling cycle out of the bunch--at least for me.
It's the shortest cycle from announcement to release date, and from June to early August we were bombarded with tons of info, game play footage and reveals. Now jump to the present, and we're only a mere two months away; and yet, we now find ourselves stuck in this weird dry spell / limbo hell for what feels like an eternity. Since the August 8th direct, the only thing that's been officially revealed about the game itself is Isabelle. It's really jarring, considering the circumstances.

Because of the game's accelerated release window, it seems like the community's expectations for a steady stream of news and reveals were pretty high, and justifiably so; and to see the hype train get somewhat stuck (but not derailed, mind you) in a proverbial desert for such a painfully long time is quite the strange sight to behold. Brawl's DOJO and 4's blog were frequently updating us with new features about the games, and it kept hype consistently high. With Ultimate's blog, however, it's just rehashing stuff that we've already seen from E3 and the August direct. The new music tracks are nice, but they aren't really much to digest over an entire week.

Then on top of that, we've got all of these fake leaks continually popping up that talk about the same handful of characters, more or less, every time (except for that one convincing Ken pic, which was quite a refreshing development to watch unfold), and all of these different theories about boxes, blogs, music etc. being thrown about. It's gotten to the point where all of our current "news" basically surmounts to guesses, rumors and hypotheses. It's just been making this wait (well, for me at least,) feel twice as long--especially when things are constantly getting debunked/proven false.

I'm really hoping that we get some sort of reveal this month (Preferably a newcomer), and have something akin to Smash Wii U's 50 Fact Extravaganza presentation in November. We still know nothing about game modes aside from Classic mode, Online, or anything in the Vault, excluding music--not to mention the mystery green menu option/spirits mode. I feel at this point, they must have something big planned near the end in order to make up for this drought.

Sorry if this came off as whiny or anything, lol. I just wanted to finally get my thoughts on this info hiatus off my chest. I'm still GREATLY excited for Ultimate, despite the lack of new info, and it's shaping up to be a promising candidate for my favourite Smash Bros. game.

Last edited:

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Outside of from what I've seen of gameplay nothing really makes me want to play KH. Just doesn't seem like something for me

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't worry my man, 2 minutes after watching the video ive barely retained anything of what was said.
Right now yes, but usually you'll remember stuff like that once you actually get into the games and once you arrive at the relevant parts in the games and there won't be much of any surprise or tension anymore. Of course, I hope that's not the case for you. :)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'd play Kingdom Hearts if it ever came to the Switch. My friends have told me previously that it's not a series to "jump into". But I like the idea of it--it's such an interesting concept. My hope is that if and when Sora's planned for Smash, some sort of Kingdom Hearts ports come to the Switch.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Quick question. I know we all have characters that we have all come into terms with that probably won't be in Smash.
What's the most out-there or questionable character you would want in Smash as a Character? I mean, just crazy or unlikely characters. Like any Sony-owned characters
Kat from Gravity Rush.
1539160466646.jpeg

Glad to see I'm not alone on this either. There's a bit more of us 2B supporters than I thought.
I know I wouldn't mind seeing 2B in Smash, She'd B awesome.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Why would you try to learn a story that's been going on since 2002 by watching one video?

Just play the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom