• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And her up special.

And her down special is Villager’s side special but vertical.

But there aren’t many similarities to Villagers.
I'm skeptical about the up special being the same with just a different look. I'm hoping for a damaging hitbox ala Snake's cypher.

As for the down special, not really.
Sure it's a lloid rocket, but its function, damage, and situations in which it can be used are completely different.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Isabelle is the dictionary definition of a semi-clone. Many of her attacks function similar to Villager's (Dash attack, down smash, neutral special, up special, etc.), but she also has enough moves of her own to make it obvious that she isn't close to being a true clone.

In terms of uniqueness, I'd say she falls somewhere between Luigi and Lucas. Not close enough to being a debatable semi like Wolf, but she's up there.
Heavily disagree, but I guess this is a discussion for the Isabelle forum.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm just over here a little sad because Knuckles was deconfirmed and no one supports Eggman...
Eggman is my next pick after Shadow, partially because I just want to hear Mike Pollock verbally abuse the roster. At the very least he definitely has a great shot at being a boss.

Last edited:

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Hello all, haven't been on the smashboards in a while. Was busy keeping up with events in other communities I'm active in and this one has been neglected. Any new news over the past couple weeks? Nintendo direct coming soon?

Arcad5

Smash Cadet
Hello all, haven't been on the smashboards in a while. Was busy keeping up with events in other communities I'm active in and this one has been neglected. Any new news over the past couple weeks? Nintendo direct coming soon?
Speculation points to a Direct possibly coming, but no announcement thus far.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On the subject of Sega and Smash, my friend and I once drafted a whole roster of characters with the hypothetical of a Sega-only Smash Bros-style game. What would be the best place to post that for some fun discussion, if there is one?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just had a terrible night.
Lying awake in my bed, tossing and turning, hot and cold, I literally just woke up because I couldn't get any sleep. I really hate my allergies some times...

Anything new?
I feel like I know the answer

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
On the subject of Sega and Smash, my friend and I once drafted a whole roster of characters with the hypothetical of a Sega-only Smash Bros-style game. What would be the best place to post that for some fun discussion, if there is one?
You can either make a thread about it... or just post it right here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know, but it would be great. Let me make Kazuma Kiryu and Sonic fight with Hatsune Miku and Bayonetta.

Since we're on the subject of clones, there's a clone tier list currently floating around on GameFAQs.
It seems really arbitrary.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't know, but I'd join in. In my Sega Sports t-shirt and everything.

Pakky

Smash Hero
A few things for those who care.

-I have been on vacation from work recently due to some family stuff, so the icon project has NOT stopped just taking a break. I know the requests (most of them anyway) and will fulfill those asked of me. Just like always.

- Had a chance view some leaks and I think the one with Zerora looks promising, well other than Isaac being an AT, cuz why tweet a reference to an AT and not a character.

- Been thinking a lot about pokemon and if you count Smash For's Charizard, we've gotten two newcomers from Pokemon per game. Whether the second guy is Zeraora or a gen eight guy remains to seen but both are possible. Sorry Owl boys but at least there's Pokken.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I've honestly never been this thirsty for content in my entire life to be frank... I think it's mostly since we don't really have any other hype stuff to actually look forward to.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since we're on the subject of clones, there's a clone tier list currently floating around on GameFAQs.
Not even sure why this exists when half of these characters have nothing but small little snippets of gameplay to go off of.

And Ganon is definitely not the most unique clone. Sword or no sword, most of his attacks basically function the same way as they did before, just with a little extra range added. Personally, I'd say Wolf and Luigi are still the most unique clones on the roster.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I think it's fine to post it here in small doses, but I'm no mod so idk. Other than that, the Light House Forum is the place to go I think

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
lowkey tempted to make a prediction tier list based on who we have so far

ik we don't have terribly much to go on aside from battle footage and I wouldn't want it to be taken seriously, but just as a point of conversation

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
CaptainAmerica summed it up well. The Dojo and PoTD gave us new info every day, even if small details. Blog serves no purpose except on Tuesdays.

I do not mind it BUT it is a more boring approach.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wish the blog would do what Capcom does and give us a little snippet of the character with info we might not have known about.

Like "new to Smash Ultimate, Shulk can now angle his backslash!" or whatever.

CaptainAmerica summed it up well. The Dojo and PoTD gave us new info every day, even if small details. Blog serves no purpose except on Tuesdays.

It does feel like Sakurai is telling us, what you want more? I'm giving you the Ultimate Smash aren't I?

Still it is cool to get music every week. I'm just grateful we're getting such a massive game. I never expected this when it was first announced. I honestly thought it was just going to be a port of Smash Wii U with added Inklings.....then we noticed it was a new game....oh boy!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You can either make a thread about it... or just post it right here.
YOU GOT IT.
Sega_Smash.png

A few notes:
We tried to stick with thirty fighters, with five Echoes (green) and eight DLC (yellow).
Some of these were popular picks, some for fun, and some straight up self-indulgent.
Yu was picked because of popularity but I promise Demifiend would've been our primary choice. please don't hurt me

There are some notable omissions but again we tried to be sort of realistic. I'm not claiming that this list is in any way exhaustive. Just, yknow, a baseline.

Jack Frost
Seaman
Bowie (Shining Force)
Virtua Cops
Hatsune Miku
Zombies (House of the Dead)
Greendog
Clockwork Knight
Mr. Bones
Minnesota Fats
Dynamite Cops
Ecco the Dolphin
Larcen Tyler (Eternal Champions)
Altered Beast
Football Manager
Yoyo
Sparkster
General Winter
Willemus
Burning Rangers
Keil Fluge (Panzer Dragoon)
Dyne (Skies of Arcadia)
Rouge the Bat
Metal Sonic
Aigis
Demifiend
Pixie
Morgana
Professor K
Squad 7 Members (Valkyria Chronicles)
Afterburner Planes
Rodin
Skate
Snatcher
"Boss" (Catherine)
Flicky
Wonder Boy
Columns
Bonanza Bros
Rhythm Thief
The Dark Prince
Sega Hard Girls
ChuChu Rocket
The Ooze
Aliens (Alien Syndrome)
Opa Opa (Fantasy Zone)

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
YOU GOT IT.
View attachment 168962
A few notes:
We tried to stick with thirty fighters, with five Echoes (green) and eight DLC (yellow).
Some of these were popular picks, some for fun, and some straight up self-indulgent.
Yu was picked because of popularity but I promise Demifiend would've been our primary choice. please don't hurt me

There are some notable omissions but again we tried to be sort of realistic. I'm not claiming that this list is in any way exhaustive. Just, yknow, a baseline.

Jack Frost
Seaman
Bowie (Shining Force)
Virtua Cops
Hatsune Miku
Greendog
Clockwork Knight
Mr. Bones
Minnesota Fats
Dynamite Cops
Ecco the Dolphin
Altered Beast
Football Manager
Yoyo
Sparkster
General Winter
Willemus
Burning Rangers
Dyne (Skies of Arcadia)
Rouge the Bat
Metal Sonic
Aigis
Demifiend
Pixie
Morgana
Professor K
Afterburner Planes
Rodin
Skate
Snatcher
"Boss" (Catherine)
Flicky
Wonder Boy
Columns
Bonanza Bros
Rhythm Thief
The Dark Prince
Sega Hard Girls
ChuChu Rocket
The Ooze
Aliens (Alien Syndrome)
Opa Opa (Fantasy Zone)
Do explain to me how an Ecco the Dolphin Assist Trophy would work.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I wish the blog would do what Capcom does and give us a little snippet of the character with info we might not have known about.

Like "new to Smash Ultimate, Shulk can now angle his backslash!" or whatever.
This, instead of things like, The Wii Fit Trainer is a healthy fighter! They're male and female!

It honestly makes it hard to tell who this blog is made for. Like the posts assume you haven't heard of these characters or know that they are in the game, but the people that check in every day absolutely do. Those brief descriptions would be better for like a character page when someone curious about the game wants to know more about a cool character they saw. Not as a daily update for fans who know everything they possibly can.

Face it, #spoiled by the dojo.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

PotD definitely didn't give us new info every day, so many of its posts were either reiterating stuff we already knew or making jokes. The blog is a significant step down from it mind you, but PotD was in itself a significant step down from the Dojo, although I fully understand why (longer pre-release cycle, and the Dojo required stupid amounts of work).

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

That and also the character videos were all posted on the date of the E3 reveal for pretty much every veteran and newcomer. They honestly should have done an indeph video about how each character is different like Street Fighter V did for it's characters. That way we can get some hype instead of "Oh look a video that was up 4 months ago was posted today on the blog, how exciting"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's baffling that people think Isabelle's up special is at all like Villager's, just because it uses balloons (something emblematic of Animal Crossing). It's like saying Marth and Link share an up special because they both ascend with swords drawn. Isabelle's, in function, is far closer to Duck Hunt's than Villager's.

And don't even get me started on "her down smash is Villager's without the burying effect." Do you not realize how many characters have a sweeping down smash? Hell, it's closer to Inkling's if anything. People are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and trying to make her seem more similar than she actually is. She shares Pocket and her Dash Attack.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Do explain to me how an Ecco the Dolphin Assist Trophy would work.
To be honest we did not totally think most of the assist trophies through but an alien invasion and then Ecco jumping from the bottom of the screen? A whole school of dolphins breaching across the stage? Ecco just zooming in a straight line? There's options.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
YOU GOT IT.
View attachment 168962
A few notes:

Jack Frost
Seaman
Bowie (Shining Force)
Virtua Cops
Hatsune Miku
Greendog
Clockwork Knight
Mr. Bones
Minnesota Fats
Dynamite Cops
Ecco the Dolphin
Altered Beast
Football Manager
Yoyo
Sparkster
General Winter
Willemus
Burning Rangers
Dyne (Skies of Arcadia)
Rouge the Bat
Metal Sonic
Aigis
Demifiend
Pixie
Morgana
Professor K
Afterburner Planes
Rodin
Skate
Snatcher
"Boss" (Catherine)
Flicky
Wonder Boy
Columns
Bonanza Bros
Rhythm Thief
The Dark Prince
Sega Hard Girls
ChuChu Rocket
The Ooze
Aliens (Alien Syndrome)
Opa Opa (Fantasy Zone)
Joker AND Yu, but no Demi-fiend?

Tsk.
giphy.gif

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't know about you guys, but I can see there being no Music Post today. Instead it's a post about an Announcement happening tomorrow. But that's just a theory.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

What they SHOULD have done was not give us all of the character videos and pictures for all 70+ characters. That way, we'd get something new 2-3 times per week and it would feel fresh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

PotD was not daily info. Unless screenshots that reveal nothing new counts.

Often it was just Sakurai being weird. But we did usually learn things more than once a week.

Both pale in comparison to the DOJO. The DOJO was amazing, the most hype updates of the blog (the music) was basically the least hype updates of the DOJO. But that came at the sacrifice of no newcomer trailers (bar the first and third-parties) or Smash Directs.

We're shifting to a pattern of virality, where the focus is on a few instances of widely shareable content as opposed to a daily routine that would attract a primarily hardcore, and smaller, crowd. It's a shame for us, but it makes sense.

And fwiw, to those who think a month gap constitutes a "drought", thank goodness you either didn't have to fare in previous cycles or seemingly forgot how much dryer those were at points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom