• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Exactly. I would not mind getting both however it’s just some people will straight up bash shadow or even tails. So it turns into a debate of “There can only be one!” between the two fanbases.
Well you know how it is, Sonic fans gonna Sonic fan. At least nobody is getting assaulted or pepper sprayed over it this time.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind Eggman as a playable character, but I think I would be even more excited about him as a boss. I think he is a perfect smash boss with the way he uses his gadgets.
Even if I want him playable I absolutely think he'd be a joy to fight. Just like how I'm happy with Knuckles as an AT, any Eggman content is good with me. Plus either way we could get the Koopa Clown Car vs. The Eggmobile, and that's excellent.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I feel ya
Eggman is my most wanted Sonic rep

Shouldn't that be the same outcome for something like Smash?
They're probably lumping them together because smash will still be unreleased by that point and to bring more attention to an event which would otherwise have little audience, I mean, ARMS and MTA don't compare to the expected sales for smash

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I'd like to see eggman if we get porky as well. a fight between those two just feels right for some reason (or a story mode team up?)

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Only way I'd see Eggman get in though, is if he were an echo of Tails, with Tails being a unique based on the Sonic Adventure 2 Walker (only way id see him being not a sonic echo tbh). That plus a Shadow echo (which i see better use for him as a unique) and Sonic fans get Four fighters, an assist, and two stages. Pretty fair deal if you ask me.

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
If it were up to me. The trio of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles would all be playable. Maybe with Eggman too. Albeit it's easier for me to imagine Eggman as a Spirits boss then a playable character right now.

Tails and Shadow though are just no doubt the top 2 choices in terms of being requested for Smash. Tails was there along with Sonic for the EGM April Fools hoax. And just looking at Brawl modding sites show you Shadow's usually amongst the top downloaded mods, meaning post-Brawl many people that found that they can now add more to their game Shadow's up there with some of the first things people added.
Absolutely this. I know it is a hell of a lot to ask for because its third party. But a smash game with Sonic, Shadow, AND Tails? That would be amazing. I don't really care about the other characters that seem most likely to be in Smash. Don't really care about Steve, or another pokemon or anything like that (I do, however, support the people that want those characters and will be happy for them if they get in). But if they announced Tails and Shadow? GOD DAMN I might blow my britches.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't remind me...no Relic, no Breezie. :crying:Just put them in the games lol.

That reminds me, they can't include the Hooligans or Mighty and Ray... which I guess means no Honey The Cat either. That really grinds my gears.
If it's any consolation, Breezie started out as a AoSTH character. And I still have no idea whether the Freedom Fighters will come back later on (doesn't help that The Resistance as a name reminds me of the new Star Wars films in a bad way).

I wish those Sega licensing issues get sorted out eventually, otherwise IDW might run into some obstacles.

Dr. Eggman (Robotnik) is also one of the Sonic reps that I’d like to see.
Same! Plus he's one of the oldest characters in the series, as far as concept and appearances go.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Absolutely this. I know it is a hell of a lot to ask for because its third party. But a smash game with Sonic, Shadow, AND Tails? That would be amazing. I don't really care about the other characters that seem most likely to be in Smash. Don't really care about Steve, or another pokemon or anything like that (I do, however, support the people that want those characters and will be happy for them if they get in). But if they announced Tails and Shadow? GOD DAMN I might blow my britches.
I just want a regular team match of Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails to be possible in an official Smash game.

I could literally die happy knowing I got to play and see that.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So what controllers are you planning on using? Because I'm probably gonna use a pro controller myself. I don't have one of the GC converters anyway, and the last Smash game I put a ton of time into was Smash 3DS.
I'm kinda sick of dealing with the gamecube adapter, so I'm just gonna stick to Pro Controllers, unless my friends wanna do 8 player smash. I bought 4 Pro Controllers at launch just waiting for Smash lol. (And they work great for games like Brawlout and Ultimate Chicken Horse, Mario Kart, etc)

MainJPW

M.T.A
Only way I'd see Eggman get in though, is if he were an echo of Tails, with Tails being a unique based on the Sonic Adventure 2 Walker (only way id see him being not a sonic echo tbh). That plus a Shadow echo (which i see better use for him as a unique) and Sonic fans get Four fighters, an assist, and two stages. Pretty fair deal if you ask me.
Tails being confined to the Cyclone is not a fair deal. Tails can easily be a semi-clone.

If it's any consolation, Breezie started out as a AoSTH character. And I still have no idea whether the Freedom Fighters will come back later on (doesn't help that The Resistance as a name reminds me of the new Star Wars films in a bad way).

I wish those Sega licensing issues get sorted out eventually, otherwise IDW might run into some obstacles.
Archie apparently couldn't use Cream and Omega for a time according to Ian Flynn. With time things may change.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It's so sad being one of the few people who doesn't see Shadow as, "lol he's so edgy but I only like him ironically."
It just makes me unwilling to discuss Shadow, because so many people want him to be in solely because they like the funny jokes and epic meme quotes surrounding him. It's like if Daisy support was entirely based on Hi I'm Daisy and her supporters literally didn't put it down for 5 seconds.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd be inclined to agree if we didn't get a bunch of footage from all of the demos over the past few weeks (EGX, TBH8, Best Buy and so on).

I'm aware most only care for seeing what's "new" (as in, what hasn't already been seen a dozen plus times), but actual good gameplay is what's been sustaining me this entire time.

Even if people don't care about the game competitively, I'm still glad they're choosing to put more time into actually working on the game itself while still having some public builds in circulation to give us something to watch in the meantime. Whereas Smash 4/Brawl basically had us rewatch the few things like the single Invitational we got, or only sparse footage analyzed from things like newcomer trailers/very few Directs (Ultimate has shown its Smash Directs in a much tighter timeframe, obviously since it's release much sooner compared to its announcement).

Can't say I'm not anxious to see what's still left to be revealed just as the rest of this thread, but I find it hard to say this speculation period has had "droughts" in the same way previous games did (we would have taken even half of what we got now back during the year of nothing that was Brawl speculation before the Dojo was established). Especially considering it's music day.

Kinda goes both ways, seeing just how much they've improved the gameplay just makes me even more impatient to play it, and Ridley being available doesn't make it any easier, every time a demo is available at a new event I spend way too much time looking for and watching new matches with him :p. Seriously, I'm so excited to see how far people can push the game, the pace of it and the edgeguarding changes means it's already more fun to watch than high-level Smash 4, and it's only in its infancy. I have some minor changes I'd still like to see on the gameplay front (slightly more hitstun, wavelanding off of ledges), but it's still really close to my ideal Smash game.

And yes, the amount of gameplay we're getting is a million times better than what we got for previous games. I remember the Brawl E For All demo which had such limited amount of recordings, and almost all from mid-2000s phones which shoddy cameras. There only was one video of Meta Knight using his Final Smash too, which hadn't been revealed at the time, but then he went and missed it, which I obviously don't blame him for as he didn't know what it did, but that was such a shame lol.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Anybody remember that one Smash 3DS demo that only had :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultmegaman: in it?
The struggle to get a code for the demo, and then spending hours on a demo with 5 characters and one stage ( Omega Battlefield) with only timed battles.

Those were the times.
I will never forget being jealous when my friends got codes emailed to them from Club Nintendo early and got to Smash early while I waited for the public release of the Demo.

...Then a few weeks after the full game released I found out that I was emailed special codes from Club Nintendo early too, I just didn't check my email :129:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm kinda sick of dealing with the gamecube adapter, so I'm just gonna stick to Pro Controllers, unless my friends wanna do 8 player smash. I bought 4 Pro Controllers at launch just waiting for Smash lol. (And they work great for games like Brawlout and Ultimate Chicken Horse, Mario Kart, etc)
I've decided to try and do the same. If Nintendo would just make a goddamned wireless Gamecube controller with a Switch home button, that would be ideal, but considering the pro controller is what I already use for every other game I play (and unlike the Wii or Wii U versions, it's actually a good controller), I'm gonna try to play Smash with it.

Until I inevitably get frustrated after two matches and switch back anyway.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So what controllers are you planning on using? Because I'm probably gonna use a pro controller myself. I don't have one of the GC converters anyway, and the last Smash game I put a ton of time into was Smash 3DS.
Up to this point, I haven't put much thought into getting an additional controller, since I used to play Smash causally only. But since I'm thinking of going competitive (especially since I'm in college now), I might get a pro controller.

I tried using a GC controller while playing with others in Smash 4, but the controls seemed weird to me, in comparison to the Pro controller.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Tails being confined to the Cyclone is not a fair deal. Tails can easily be a semi-clone. .
My ideal is that hes an Echo in the sense that Chrom is an Echo, replace a few moves, maybe add a propellor jump that works similar to yoshi's flutter and there you go. Since Isabelle and Chrom exist the line between semi clone and Echo is a bit blurry though.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's so sad being one of the few people who doesn't see Shadow as, "lol he's so edgy but I only like him ironically."
It just makes me unwilling to discuss Shadow, because so many people want him to be in solely because they like the funny jokes and epic meme quotes surrounding him. It's like if Daisy support was entirely based on Hi I'm Daisy and her supporters literally didn't put it down for 5 seconds.
I mean.

I originally started using Daisy in middle school solely to select her over and over to annoy my friends with that quote.

Fanship has to start somewhere. Embrace your origins!

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna use both GC and pro controllers :yoshi:
This. I'll use GC with friends and Pro Controller/Joycons when playing by myself or online. That way, I can keep the muscle memory I have from Smash 3DS.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
My ideal is that hes an Echo in the sense that Chrom is an Echo, replace a few moves, maybe add a propellor jump that works similar to yoshi's flutter and there you go. Since Isabelle and Chrom exist the line between semi clone and Echo is a bit blurry though.
Would he have a good recovery?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, I didn't liked Shadow initially even when going through my teenage edge era. I only warmed up to him after understanding there is more to him then his killer design.

Btw, if we are turning this into Sonic vs Nintendo, I want Amy and Cream, too. Let me play as my girls, if SEGA won't.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, if Sega got 2 new characters and none of em are Atlus (cough SMT) Ima be real depressed.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I keep seeing Isabelle mentioned in this way. But she has very, very few similarities to Villager outside of visuals and two shared moves. She's less of a clone to him than Ganondorf is to Falcon.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Shadow is unironically my favorite video game character and I'd ideally like Shadow, Tails, Eggman, and Knuckles to all be in.

Having said that, that's FIVE characters from the SAME third party franchise. Not gonna happen even in Smash 6 or 7 unless Sakurai begins to go Mugen on us.

Realistically I expect Eggman to be a boss, Shadow as an echo/semiclone, Tails as unique DLC or not in at all, and Knuckles is already deconfirmed. That'd make 2-3 Sonic reps being in Ultimate which I would be exceedingly pleased with.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
What’s a little weird to me, is that Shadow was born (or created) 50 years before Sonic was born.

So I guess you can say, Sonic was his faker all along.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I keep seeing Isabelle mentioned in this way. But she has very, very few similarities to Villager outside of visuals and two shared moves. She's less of a clone to him than Ganondorf is to Falcon.
Yeah calling her a clone is really pushing it considering so far, her only 1:1 copied ability is pocket.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah calling her a clone is really pushing it considering so far, her only 1:1 copied ability is pocket.
And her dash attack, but. C'mon.

It's a dash attack.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
DK Bongos obvi

nah but for real it'll probably be my pro controller. I don't got the clams for the full gamecube controller setup. Honestly even more than that I think I'll be in hand held mode a lot anyways so whatever.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, while I wanna stay optimistic about this week's music update, it's probably not gonna be Mother or Xenoblade and it's gonna be something involving Wii Fit, considering they've done thematic character posts on the blog to coincide with Health and Fitness Day in Japan.

scott has committed suicide.png

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Naturally yes, but I imagine it could get easily broken.
Okay, cause when you said "similar to Yoshi's flutter," what came to mind is an element to that jump that makes up for his rather lackluster recovery, which is heavy armor. It's the only double jump with armor (I think). I assume you're not thinking that Tails would get that for HIS double jump?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Jfc this grade is time consuming..
So.. do you think we'll get the news announcement tomorrow?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Isabelle is the dictionary definition of a semi-clone. Many of her attacks function similar to Villager's (Dash attack, down smash, neutral special, up special, etc.), but she also has enough moves of her own to make it obvious that she isn't close to being a true clone.

In terms of uniqueness, I'd say she falls somewhere between Luigi and Lucas. Not close enough to being a debatable semi like Wolf, but she's up there.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Okay, cause when you said "similar to Yoshi's flutter," what came to mind is an element to that jump that makes up for his rather lackluster recovery, which is heavy armor. It's the only double jump with armor (I think). I assume you're not thinking that Tails would get that for HIS double jump?
Probably not, hed have that and a Spring so.. Maybe a bit more like Dedede?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And her up special.

And her down special is Villager’s side special but vertical.

But there aren’t many similarities to Villagers.
Her upB is similar but not the same, as are multiple other characters. And her downB reuses visual assets, but in practice it's an entirely different move. Plus it's a two-parter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom