• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
Anybody remember that one Smash 3DS demo that only had :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultmegaman: in it?
The struggle to get a code for the demo, and then spending hours on a demo with 5 characters and one stage ( Omega Battlefield) with only timed battles.

Those were the times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's what Battlefield forms are for. :D

At least I'd hope people would be interested in the possibility of allowing those. Even if it's only a visual difference, variety is nice.
I'm sure that Battlefield/Omega forms will be more widely accepted as alternatives to BF and FD this time sense they have the same collisions now, but as previously stated, some stages will be banned outright due to music copyright.

On the topic of EarthBound music, as messy as things are in regards to ownership of the music, we did get three new arrangements in Smash 4 (Magicant / Eight Melodies, Smiles and Tears, Onett Theme / Winters Theme) so hope is not lost yet.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
One of my pipe dreams was Project M style legal stage variants.

One day...
Well, we got a hazard toggle at least.

I'd be pissed if after all that and the battlefield modes all we see is still ****ing town and city/smashville or whatever. Damn it I want to see/hear the other stages and music. Hazardless Wily Castle or Battlefield Suzaku Castle or something.

Anybody remember that one Smash 3DS demo that only had :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultmegaman: in it?
The struggle to get a code for the demo, and then spending hours on a demo with 5 characters and one stage (Battlefield) with only timed battles.

Those were the times.
The key was leaving the demo on even when not playing, so that you don't use up your uses.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The struggle to get a code for the demo, and then spending hours on a demo with 5 characters and one stage ( Omega Battlefield) with only timed battles.

Those were the times.
"Oh man, Link got a ton of buffs. Top tier for sure."

Hahahahahhaaha... nope.

D

Deleted member

I'd be pissed if after all that and the battlefield modes all we see is still ****ing town and city/smashville or whatever. Damn it I want to see/hear the other stages and music. Hazardless Wily Castle or Battlefield Suzaku Castle or something.
I doubt Wily's will be legal sense hazards off disables the platforms outright instead of just removing the Devil unfortunately.

Omega Wily's and Suzaku were considered acceptable alternatives to FD in Smash 4 though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speculation period up to now:

Unfortunately, much of the Smash fanbase refuses to get out of their comfort zone.

At least there was a bit of Yoshi's Story at Big House 8...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Has there ever been a less climactic stage for a grand finals best of five than ****ing goddamn Smashville?

D

Deleted member

Has there ever been a less climactic stage for a grand finals best of five than ****ing goddamn Smashville?
Smashville forms when? Then we can ban Smashville, and make Smashville form Gaur Plain the default version of that stage.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oi why all the Shadow hate suddenly? I 100% want him over Tails but can't we just agree to wish for both?
That seems fair. At least having Shadow as an Echo would not bar future Sonic newcomers from getting in as unique newcomers, and it would finally give Pittoo an edgy friend to hang out with at the same time.

sm4sh___cloud_by_dragonith-d9ghexm.png

Pictured: Shadow being yeeted by Knuckles.

On a semi-related note, I'm still annoyed that IDW or Flynn won't get to reuse anything made for the Archie run. That British accent gal ain't coming back...

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I doubt Wily's will be legal sense hazards off disables the platforms outright instead of just removing the Devil unfortunately.

Omega Wily's and Suzaku were considered acceptable alternatives to FD in Smash 4 though.
Well, then use the FD and Battlefield versions.

Yeah, even SF4's training stage is somehow more hype.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The information drought could have been solved by releasing some video footage every week or so, like they did with the K Rool footage.
I'd be inclined to agree if we didn't get a bunch of footage from all of the demos over the past few weeks (EGX, TBH8, Best Buy and so on).

I'm aware most only care for seeing what's "new" (as in, what hasn't already been seen a dozen plus times), but actual good gameplay is what's been sustaining me this entire time.

Even if people don't care about the game competitively, I'm still glad they're choosing to put more time into actually working on the game itself while still having some public builds in circulation to give us something to watch in the meantime. Whereas Smash 4/Brawl basically had us rewatch the few things like the single Invitational we got, or only sparse footage analyzed from things like newcomer trailers/very few Directs (Ultimate has shown its Smash Directs in a much tighter timeframe, obviously since it's release much sooner compared to its announcement).

Can't say I'm not anxious to see what's still left to be revealed just as the rest of this thread, but I find it hard to say this speculation period has had "droughts" in the same way previous games did (we would have taken even half of what we got now back during the year of nothing that was Brawl speculation before the Dojo was established). Especially considering it's music day.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That said, I think Tekken's probably my favorite fighting game to watch on a high level. ****'s hype as hell. So is the Marvel vs Capcom series and DBFZ.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
At this point now that we have a legit photo leak that has yet to be disproven, I'm not even going to bother with "here's the corner of the screen with just the character's render". Someone out there is able to take more legit photos (or at the very least create very convincing fakes) and that interests me a ton more.
What photo is that?

osby

Smash Obsessed
That seems fair. At least having Shadow as an Echo would not bar future Sonic newcomers from getting in as unique newcomers, and it would finally give Pittoo an edgy friend to hang out with at the same time.
I think he already has one: :ultdarksamus:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really hope if nothing else all stages get their Omega or Battlefield forms declared legal competitively. Variety would make watching matches more fun than ever and I know most of the competitive scene isn't going to agree to just let them all be legal even without hazards.

Fingers crossed that FS meter is legal too or there's at least some sub rules that allow it if just because I like final smashes and think it'd be fun.

This is the first time I've actively wanted to participate in the competitive side of Smash. Something about Ultimate just seems exciting to watch and play both casually and competitively.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Oi why all the Shadow hate suddenly? I 100% want him over Tails but can't we just agree to wish for both?
It’s kinda disheartening seeing shadow get so much hate or a lot of people disapprove of him. I can understand why people would want tails. But me personally I want shadow in fact he is my most wanted character. :/ I just always liked shadow’s character despite his game...I do not want to talk about that >.> but regardless still hope both shadow and tails make it so the sonic fan base can be happy :/

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what controllers are you planning on using? Because I'm probably gonna use a pro controller myself. I don't have one of the GC converters anyway, and the last Smash game I put a ton of time into was Smash 3DS.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I just wish we had some more gameplay of K. Rool, Simon, and Isabelle. Seeing people be able to go hands on with them would be great, as seeing all the cool things people are doing with Inkling in the demo is making me that much more excited to try them out come launch.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It’s kinda disheartening seeing shadow get so much hate or a lot of people disapprove of him. I can understand why people would want tails. But me personally I want shadow in fact he is my most wanted character. :/ I just always liked shadow’s character despite his game...I do not want to talk about that >.> but regardless still hope both shadow and tails make it so the sonic fan base can be happy :/
Shadow getting hate because his titular game is really annoying. You don't really see people hating on Samus because of Other M, do you?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

This is why we needed Fountain of Dreams back.
This has to be a glitch, right? How is the Yellow Devil not considered a hazard?

D

Deleted member

So what controllers are you planning on using? Because I'm probably gonna use a pro controller myself. I don't have one of the GC converters anyway, and the last Smash game I put a ton of time into was Smash 3DS.
GameCube. The Switch Pro Controller layout is too different from Wii U Pro Controller for my tastes, so I'm switching back to GC.

This has to be a glitch, right? How is the Yellow Devil not considered a hazard?
You misunderstand. The Yellow Devil is disabled when hazards are off. The problem is that the platforms are too.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
He means that everything on Wily Castle gets disabled and it basically becomes its Omega form from Smash For, which is a bummer because everybody just wants to play on the stage with the extra platforms without having YD interrupt every 15 seconds.

D

Deleted member

I think he already has one: :ultdarksamus:
Dark Pit: “Hmph. So you have an annoying counterpart too, huh?”
Dark Samus: “...”
DP: “Mine won’t shut up about justice, peace, and his precious Palutena. What about yours?”
DS: “...”
DP: “You...don’t talk much do you?”
DS: “...”

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Oh nevermind.

One thing I wish they didn't do is make all the Omegas uniform. I understand making them all have the same blast lines but walled omegas added variety in a good way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shadow getting hate because his titular game is really annoying. You don't really see people hating on Samus because of Other M, do you?
People can say what they want about Shadow the Hedgehog, but you have to admit, it IS hilariously over the top.

It's the game that gave us this:

I honestly regret trading the game away. There is definitely a "so bad, it's good" vibe about it.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
The Last 4 Newcomers
Geno
Leon S Kennedy
Incineroar
Ayumi Tachibana

Echo's Fighters
Ken
Shadow
Medusa

Why Leon well I think it will be a nice Halloween surprise in October Reveal but I totally see it happening. It will feel underweight if there's no surprising character look I understand why there's no allot newcomers I get that. I know people going to dis Leon because we got Simon in the base roster. It just a theory. Honestly I see Leon more as a DLC just to promote RE2 Remake it will be Street Fighter 5 marking. I call Street Fighter 5 being bad. P.S I see Sakurai adding a Retro Rep in the base roster but thats a big maybe.

D

Deleted member

I really hope if nothing else all stages get their Omega or Battlefield forms declared legal competitively. Variety would make watching matches more fun than ever and I know most of the competitive scene isn't going to agree to just let them all be legal even without hazards.

Fingers crossed that FS meter is legal too or there's at least some sub rules that allow it if just because I like final smashes and think it'd be fun.

This is the first time I've actively wanted to participate in the competitive side of Smash. Something about Ultimate just seems exciting to watch and play both casually and competitively.
I more stages get used period. If this generation of competitive Smash is reduced to Smashville again, I’m gonna lose it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is tough because I plan on playing a lot of handheld mode but maybe I'll grab the GC adapter for when I'm not. The Wavebird is my favorite controller of all time. I hear great things about the Pro Controller, though the price is pretty steep so I'm not sure just yet until I get my hands on one if I'll commit to it.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't think we're getting an Earthbound track ever, just because of the legal stuff surrounding it unfortunately.
Not every track in the game is in a legal pickle. There are still plenty of tracks that are presumed safe. It's mostly just the regular battle themes.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The history of Tails and Shadow is like you getting a car, and then your little brother comes along and then wrecks your car. Somehow he's the one who your parents buy a new car for while you are forgotten about and never given another one.

There can be a bit of a grudge when the once famous sidekick gets kicked to the curb by a character that nearly killed the franchise at one point.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Probaby either 2 Joycons or Pro Controller. I don't get the love for the Gamecube Controller, it has a confusing button layout.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
The history of Tails and Shadow is like you getting a car, and then your little brother comes along and then wrecks your car. Somehow he's the one who your parents buy a new car for while you are forgotten about and never given another one.

There can be a bit of a grudge when the once famous sidekick gets kicked to the curb by a character that nearly killed the franchise at one point.
How shadow nearly killed the franchise? I thought sonic 06 was the game that nearly killed the franchise. And sonic at one point died in that game lol

domriver

Smash Lord
almost every single tweet that NOA does "whens the smash direct?" or " This isn't smash direct." LOL I wonder how Nintendo employees or whoever reads all these tweets over there feels. LOL I wonder if people call Nintendo to say Hey whens the next smash direct? LOL

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Jeez, we’re still out of things to talk about? What about Event Matches? There’s still tons of ideas we could come up with. Here’s some new ones I thought up:

Title: Turf Wars
Description: Dad wanted ME to make a mess of this place, not THESE GUYS! I’ll show them the power of my paintbrush!
Objective: K.O. All opponents with Shadow Mario Paint.
Character: :ultbowserjr: (1 stock)
Opponent(s): :ultinkling: x4 (Can only be K.O.ed with Shadow Mario Paint)
Stage: Delfino Plaza
Unlockable: Splattershot Trophy

Title: Mass Attack
Description: Where are all of these Kirbies coming from? I just want to take a bath in the Fountain of Dreams!
Objective: K.O. All Kirbies
Character: :ultkingdedede: (1 Stock)
Opponent(s): :ultkirby: x50 (1 Stock each, Knockback similar to Fighting Mii Team)
Stage: Fountain of Dreams
Unlockable: Boss Theme Medley CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom