• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think Incineroar and Ken are hype enough to close out the roster.

Chrono.

I really don't think Incineroar and Ken are hype enough to close out the roster.
They're more hype than the 4's last base reveals of Shulk and... two characters we already knew about because the game had been out on 3DS lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Olimar closed out Brawl.
Shulk closed out Smash 4.
Smash doesn't usually have grand finale reveals.
Could it be different this time? sure. But I wouldn't count on it personally.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
x isn't the best girl
zero is

but yeah i understand where you're coming from

I'd be hyped for a Persona or mainline character
just more hyped for joker
also you got the artist who made that
Sorry, I can't tell you who it is...

But I can link it.
This is the power of typing in fan-art in Japanese to find more fan-art.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Olimar closed out Brawl.
Shulk closed out Smash 4.
Smash doesn't usually have grand finale reveals.
Could it be different this time? sure. But I wouldn't count on it personally.
Don't forget that Corrin closed out the DLC while Mewtwo started it

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Well, not in my view. For example, I'm a Dixie supporter, and if she's not in the base game, I'm hoping for the DLC. We know that the base game is not still the final roster, but the final shots can be hard to shallow. There's still a ray of hope for fandoms like the Ashley or Waluigi ones. But after DLC is all done.
Plus, we are avoiding newcomers like Rex-Pyra or Springman in speculation for base game because are recent, but they are for sure in the DLC run. Even less slots.
Woooohoo. This gonna be a blood bath.
Dixie is the only glaring omission in the current roster. I think she'll get in as a Diddy echo

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If we're still talking "grand Smash final reveal", then the only characters that could do that have already been revealed.

:ultridley::ultkrool:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Smash has a tendency to start with the most hype characters (:ultsnake::ultmegaman:)
And end with some "Lesser hype" characters (:ultolimar::ultshulk::ultcorrin:)
Not to say these characters aren't good, but they're not world shattering reveals.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Well Bayo and Corrin, but they had Cloud, Ryu, Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas in their pocket so it's not like they closed out with the two most hype inducing picks
In all fairness, they sold Bayonetta to us as the Ballot winner.

So she at least was definitely meant to be hype.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
lmao at bayo not being hype
I literally voted for Bayo, she's still not Mewtwo

In all fairness, they sold Bayonetta to us as the Ballot winner.

So she at least was definitely meant to be hype.
It's still the only real example we have of them leaving a "hype" reveal for the end, and even then, leaving the ballot winner for the end is kind of the obvious thing to do

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
lmao at bayo not being hype
Don't think anyone is saying she isn't because she definitely was. Relatively, she wasn't as hype as Mewtwo or even Cloud in general though.

DLC was consistently hype throughout aside from the lull that was Corrin who was kinda the exception in most ways for DLC.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was super hyped for Bayo when she came out. Not as good as Dante, but a pretty close substitute.

I played with her and every single move she did I was like "HELL YEAH, THAT'S EXACTLY FROM THE GAME"
And then I played against her, and I hated it. "Oh it's cool, she's clearly broken and now they're going to ban her."

They didn't ban her.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
GIVE ME PRINCE SIDON

LOOK AT HIM HES BEAUTIFUL
I relly want Urbosa or Mipha....

but i would totally NOT say no to a Sidon instead

If Incineroar is our next newcomer, how are people feeling about him? I've come to like the idea quite a bit, actually.
My only problem with Incineroar is that is not lycanrock or mimikyu.... which isn'y too much of a big problem if you think about it... It's cool, and it can potentially have tons of personality.

At least eat Mr. Wario and not me.

So, aside from that, what would be the most unexpected character you guys think would never get in that would make you freak out if they were to be revealed, big time?
Simon belmont... i eman.. imagine if Castlevania was in smash. we could have like ****tons of amazing music treacks and an amazing stage! plus i bet sakurai would go great lenghts to make simon move like in castlevania! heck, we could even get a Dracula battle!

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I don't believe that Sakurai and the Smash Marketing Team would close out the Roster Hype Cycle with Another Pokemon and a Ryu Echo.

I do believe that, including the two that might be coming by next Saturday, that we'll at least get 5 more characters.
8 at the absolute most.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I don't understand why people are making predictions based on what they FEEL like the Smash team would or wouldn't do.

When the **** has anyone been able to predict what Sakurai and the Smash team would do? They've literally surprised people with their decisions every. single. time.

And every single time there's salt about it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They won't close out the roster, they might just close out base game. We're probably going to see the first smattering of DLC revealing before or right after this game launches so as to keep the ride going and the hype alive throughout the next phase of the game.

Then eventually when the last bit of DLC hits, that Direct will likely close out with Sakurai's well-deserved circlejerk over how packed with content this game is, like last time.

Chrono.

You mustn't of been feeling it
I love Shulk, so I was talking in a broader sense.
They won't close out the roster, they might just close out base game. We're probably going to see the first smattering of DLC revealing before or right after this game launches so as to keep the ride going and the hype alive throughout the next phase of the game.

Then eventually when the last bit of DLC hits, that Direct will likely close out with Sakurai's well-deserved circlejerk over how packed with content this game is, like last time.
Yeah this is kinda what people are overlooking.

Mewtwo was revealed right before Wii U came out, so we're probably getting our first DLC announcement before Ultimate launches and that'll be our final ""hype"" reveal.

It's true that we got our entire roster by the time 3DS came out, but most of the marketing for 4 was heavily Wii U centric anyways.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The hype of a character is MASSIVELY subjective. For all we know, Olimar and Shulk were the most hype characters in Sakurai's eyes :yoshi:
Individually sure. Fanbase-wide you can sort of tell which reveals were met with greater fervour.

Fwiw I love that Shulk was included, but bar none he's the character I've been asked "who the hell is this?" the most times among my Smash circles.

You mustn't of been feeling it
wat a bunch of jokahs

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Now I don't want to be that guy...but.
https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/1047839669587771392
Apparently we missed this yesterday as well as Bill Trinen making his 72 hours remain joke.
Before anyone says anything, it means nothing...maybe...possibly.

EDIT: I know we talked about the Bill MM joke tweet, but did not see anyone bring this official NintendoNYC tweet on the same day.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Seriously though, ever since I joined the speculation scene for Smash 4, I don't think there's been a newcomer who I didn't find hype to some degree, except maybe Isabelle (she's still cool though). Wii Fit's trailer got a laugh out of me. I didn't really know who Mega Man was, but that trailer sold me on him anyway. Never played Xenoblade 1 but Shulk's laser sword and awesome trailer music really made me consider it. Duck Hunt brought along a whimsical, cartoonish charm that is great to have in Smash. Bayonetta falls under a character archetype that I really dislike but her abilities were still pretty cool. And as an FE and KI:U fan, Lucina and Dark Pit getting in was still really exciting, even as clones. Yeah I got more excited for some then others, but I was still able to appreciate the characters I didn't ask for.

If our last unique newcomer truly is Incineroar, I have 100% faith they'll be able to implement him well. Even if he wasn't my first choice for a Pokemon rep I'm still prepared to be hyped if the rumors turn out to be true. And besides, a Pokemon is still a really strong note to end on. That franchise is huge. Even if it's expected, I feel like people are really underselling the value of having more Pokemon in Smash.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I didn't even know who Shulk was. When I played Smash Wii U for the first time I just considered him "That naked guy who's really feeling something".

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Monkey's Paw: Smash Edition

Make a wish, then twist it!

I'll start:
BANJO AND KAZOOIE ARE IN SMASH!

but...

They have the Nuts and Bolts design.
Black Knight is in, but he has his horrendous Radiant Dawn voice actor and he talks constantly.

Also Joker is in but it's the cutesy persona Q version.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Sakurai were to pick the last characters he wanted this is who it'd probably be.

Incineroar (He loves cats though I wonder why he never made Meowth a playable character in the first place...)
Elma (He loves Xenoblade)
Rhythm Heaven rep
Steve

Chrono.

I'll start:

but...

Tails is in Smash but only in the Tornado mech from SA2.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I'll start:

but...

Marina Liteyears is added in

But...

She's absolutely godawful to play. Requires precise inputs I'm physically incapable of doing. Her moves do very little damage. She's KO'd stupid easy. And they only have two songs of hers in the game, neither of which are Final Battle.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
If you had to choose between a Rabbid Yoshi or Rabbid Luigi for Smash Ultimate DLC who'd it be
https://www.strawpoll.me/16590780

Also 2 Questions

Q : What about the others like Mario, Peach and Cranky ?
A : We don't need another replica of Mario (except Paper Mario cause he's overdue) Peach is already in the DK DLC for Mario+Rabbids and Cranky is too old and recent

Q : Why Rabbids ?
A : Cause i can

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think there's been a newcomer who I didn't find hype to some degree.
Yeah I got more excited for some then others
This is all that people are saying. All reveals, generally, are hype. Some reveals break the hype meter more than others.

Now I don't want to be that guy...but.
https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/1047839669587771392
Apparently we missed this yesterday as well as Bill Trinen making his 72 hours remain joke.
Before anyone says anything, it means nothing...maybe...possibly.

EDIT: I know we talked about the Bill MM joke tweet, but did not see anyone bring this official NintendoNYC tweet on the same day.
Last time the Nintendo World Store had a private event it was totally unrelated to a Direct or any reveal, and I wish I could remember what it was for so I could stop this 72 hrs business from spreading, but it escapes me. :/

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I think Banjo has a great chance at the base roster.... even taking leaks into account, Vergeben didnt know about :ultkrool::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: or :ultrichter: so he doesn't know everything.

There could easily be 1 or 2 character's none echo who could show up in the final reveals. I bet Banjo... even IF the Minecraft content is in fact Steve... I still think Banjo can be there. He'd be a great last surprise reveal.

Incinaroar
Ken
Dixie
Shadow
Geno
Steve
Banjo

That would be 4 final unique fighters and 3 echoes to finish off the base roster, I can see it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom