• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I do think they have other qualifications (Legacy for Banjo & Kazooie, Moveset Potential for Skull Kid and an Unrepresented Genre for Golden Sun/Isaac)
There I fixed that for you!
Any of those qualifications can be mixed and matched for any character to justify their inclusion.
Just pointing that out.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
So.... Shantae is in?
Naw, clearly it'll be KOS-MOS! I have ROCK SOLID evidence!

So, you see... the next fighter will be fighter 69! What does 69 look like?

That's right! The Vector Industries logo! The same logo emblazoned upon KOS-MOS Refrain's visor!

Truly, no greater evidence could exist, and this is in no way reaching, as Sakurai and Nintendo would certainly be utterly beholden to the concept of number-emblem synchronicity!

Sorry not sorry.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
The other big companies that have earned their place in Smash (in rough order of how much I estimate they deserve representation):
  • Atlus (Megami Tensei/Persona)
  • Arc System Works [Double Dragon/Kunio-kun (Dodgeball/River City)]
  • Level-5 (Professor Layton/Yo-kai Watch)
  • Microsoft (Banjo & Kazooie/Minecraft)
  • WB Interactive Entertainment (Mortal Kombat/Scribblenauts)
I'd also add these too:
  • SNK (King of Fighters/Fatal Fury)
  • Tecmo Koei (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)
  • Ubi-Soft (Rayman)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
There I fixed that for you!
Any of those qualifications can be mixed and matched for any character to justify their inclusion.
Just pointing that out.
How did you fix it? None of these really make sense compared to the ones I mentioned...
  • Minecraft has way more legacy than Banjo Kazooie. We are talking about the second Best selling game of all time...
  • What would Skull Kid do that would be Different from other Characters? I can tell you what Elma can do. She could use both Swords and guns, and can even ride a Mech. If you ask me, that is pure Smash material right here
  • Golden Sun is a JRPG, just like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Unlike Rhythm Heaven which is a Rhythm Game, (A Genre which has no character representation at all)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
How did you fix it? None of these really make sense compared to the ones I mentioned...
  • Minecraft has way more legacy than Banjo Kazooie. We are talking about the second Best selling game of all time...
  • What would Skull Kid do that would be Different from other Characters? I can tell you what Elma can do. She could use both Swords and guns, and can even ride a Mech. If you ask me, that is pure Smash material right here
  • Golden Sun is a JRPG, just like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Unlike Rhythm Heaven which is a Rhythm Game, (A Genre which has no character representation at all)
Simply stating that no matter the person, examples of who is likely and who has things backing them mean nothing here.
I think you miss the simple point of this.
This is not an attack of any kind, so I won't treat it like so.

But to say Someone is better than another because reasons...is not a solid argument.

It's all up to Sakurai, who HE wants to add and I will be happy regardless.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do think they have other qualifications (Legacy for Steve, Moveset Potential for Elma and an Unrepresented Genre for the RH rep), but I think it's worth noting that they kind of have Sakurai bias on their side... Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't that big until Shulk got into Smash, and he seems to have got in because Sakurai took a liking to his game and his moveset potential. Sure, Sakurai bias isn't the be all end all of character selection, but it's still worth noting...
I think you may be overlooking the impact Xenoblade made (for a game of its nature) thanks to Rainfall and the popularity Shulk was observed and quoted by Sakurai himself as having. Yes it might be the most niche title/series to have been included, but its not like it beat out other more deserving series of recent impact (as was that game's proclivity). Taking into account the technical hurdles which other series faced, of course.

Ultimately if a character is widely supported and/or expected as Shulk was prior to his inclusion (and prior to Gematsu) there obviously has to be observable merit in excess of any theorized bias Sakurai might have.

Chrono.

I'd also add these too:
  • SNK (King of Fighters/Fatal Fury)
  • Tecmo Koei (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)
  • Ubi-Soft (Rayman)
Man people always forget Tecmo when talking about companies not in Smash. SNK too but that's way more niche these days so it's more understandable.

Meanwhile, Rayman feels like he fell off in popularity despite the boost ArtsyOmni gave him that one time. He certainly isn't discussed as much these days.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So I'm thinking we have probably 5 characters left. 2 echoes, whom are 3rd party, and 3 Uniques, one of which is 3rd party.

-Ken
-Incineroar
-Shadow
-Skull Kid
-Geno

Reasons why:

-Ken: Likely leaked via a significant photo. Also Vergeben, whom at this point probably is right.

-Incineroar: Vergeben

-Shadow/Skull Kid: I treat them similar to Isabelle at the moment. Before I had all 3 as possibilities simply because they were replaced by another AT of the same game/franchise. Isabelle herself now helps supports this. Not because of chairs, popularity, or Loz18. I sincerely think Skull Kid is as much in the game as Isabelle due to the Moon, and similarly Shadow due to Knuckles. And before anyone mentions Isaac, Isaac was not replaced in Smash 4, he was just removed entirely. While I do think Isaac has a chance, it may be DLC to promote a future Golden Sun game (due to significant retrademarking)

-Geno: Vergeben's SE Rep. I don't think its Sora simply due to the fact that KH3 is not out yet, and if Sora were included, he'd likely be in his KH3 appearance and use a similar moveset to that version, so likely DLC (also its Sora you release him as DLC lol). I also don't think its Dragon Quest simply because while immensely popular and beloved (and I love it too), Dragon Quest does not bring anything new to the table via a Sword wielding protagonist, imo. Its very possible it could be Chrono, as he'd be the Toriyama design I could see being picked, additionally due to his unique flavor of moves and lore that could give him a decent moveset. However, I do think its Geno is coming this time. Many picked characters so far (K. Rool, Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom, etc) have had Mii Costumes in the past. Geno is by far the most significant one they made. He also is personally requested by Sakurai.

So I personally think next week may simply be just Incineroar due to the events revolving around him in Japan next week, leaving Ken, Shadow, Skull Kid and Geno as final picks for the last direct, ending at 71 characters until DLC is in order. It also goes along with Sakurai's comments, the rate will have slowed entirely if Incineroar is the only one next, however, revealing 4 final characters in the last direct seems decent enough to happen. Anyway I'm sure I'm off somewhere, but each of these characters have significant plausibility to being in this game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What would Skull Kid do that would be Different from other Characters? I can tell you what Elma can do. She could use both Swords and guns, and can even ride a Mech. If you ask me, that is pure Smash material right here
Rejecting a character simply because you can't devise a moveset for them isn't giving Sakurai much credit, is it? He's better at this than most of us.
Golden Sun is a JRPG, just like Xenoblade, Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Unlike Rhythm Heaven which is a Rhythm Game, (A Genre which has no character representation at all)
Genre rep isn't a thing.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Naw, clearly it'll be KOS-MOS! I have ROCK SOLID evidence!

So, you see... the next fighter will be fighter 69! What does 69 look like?

That's right! The Vector Industries logo! The same logo emblazoned upon KOS-MOS Refrain's visor!

Truly, no greater evidence could exist, and this is in no way reaching, as Sakurai and Nintendo would certainly be utterly beholden to the concept of number-emblem synchronicity!

Sorry not sorry.

Is it me or does that looks like cancer sign to me?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So I'm thinking we have probably 5 characters left. 2 echoes, whom are 3rd party, and 3 Uniques, one of which is 3rd party.

-Ken
-Incineroar
-Shadow
-Skull Kid
-Geno

Reasons why:

-Ken: Likely leaked via a significant photo. Also Vergeben, whom at this point probably is right.

-Shadow/Skull Kid: I treat them similar to Isabelle at the moment. Before I had all 3 as possibilities simply because they were replaced by another AT of the same game/franchise. Isabelle herself now helps supports this. Not because of chairs, popularity, or Loz18. I sincerely think Skull Kid is as much in the game as Isabelle due to the Moon, and similarly Shadow due to Knuckles. And before anyone mentions Isaac, Isaac was not replaced in Smash 4, he was just removed entirely. While I do think Isaac has a chance, it may be DLC to promote a future Golden Sun game (due to significant retrademarking)

-Geno: Vergeben's SE Rep. I don't think its Sora simply due to the fact that KH3 is not out yet, and if Sora were included, he'd likely be in his KH3 appearance and use a similar moveset to that version, so likely DLC (also its Sora you release him as DLC lol). I also don't think its Dragon Quest simply because while immensely popular and beloved (and I love it too), Dragon Quest does not bring anything new to the table via a Sword wielding protagonist, imo. Its very possible it could be Chrono, as he'd be the Toriyama design I could see being picked, additionally due to his unique flavor of moves and lore that could give him a decent moveset. However, I do think its Geno is coming this time. Many picked characters so far (K. Rool, Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom, etc) have had Mii Costumes in the past. Geno is by far the most significant one they made. He also is personally requested by Sakurai.

So I personally think next week may simply be just Incineroar due to the events revolving around him in Japan next week, leaving Ken, Shadow, Skull Kid and Geno as final picks for the last direct, ending at 71 characters until DLC is in order. It also goes along with Sakurai's comments, the rate will have slowed entirely if Incineroar is the only one next, however, revealing 4 final characters in the last direct seems decent enough to happen. Anyway I'm sure I'm off somewhere, but each of these characters have significant plausibility to being in this game.
This is a smart list imo.
2 newcomers and 2 Echoes for the final Direct makes sense.
Incineroar getting some sort of stand-alone reveal makes sense.

...though I'd replace Skull Kid with Steve.

Shroob

Sup?
It would be a horrible coincidence if literally nothing happens next week.

The evidence is there for something to happen, but with no official word, we really can't do anything.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

The evidence is there for something to happen, but with no official word, we really can't do anything.
I'm already dreading this.
I am forcing myself to say all my hopes for Ultimate WON'T happen at this point.
EVERYTHING'S adding up for an announcement. But there's always a fear.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Lord, the flames would never die down until the next direct IF that happens...or Smash boards implodes on itself.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Man I don’t need a character reveal. I just want to see Diddy Kong and Yoshi’s Final Smashes. And Young Link’s entrance animation.

Chrono.

Man I don’t need a character reveal. I just want to see Diddy Kong and Yoshi’s Final Smashes. And Young Link’s entrance animation.
I think Young Link could get Link's Smash 64 entrance.

Would be a neat nod to that game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

-Ken
-Incineroar
-Shadow
-Skull Kid
-Geno

Reasons why:

:smash: Sold

And this is exactly what I predicted I think this is the rest of the base roster

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
This is a smart list imo.
2 newcomers and 2 Echoes for the final Direct makes sense.
Incineroar getting some sort of stand-alone reveal makes sense.

...though I'd replace Skull Kid with Steve.
Yeah lets see what happens. Probably should have added him too, but I don't think we should replace Skull Kid and keep Shadow then, they logically have the same thing going for them. On top of this Skull Kid has even more with an item functioning as his old AT, remixed MM music, possible MM connects with YL (whos final smash and possible alternate costumes are hidden from us at the moment).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Pft, no.

If Ken is actually based off of SF3 like the leak shows, then the answer is obviously Ken.

I knew it. Alex is the one getting in Smash.
Goodbye Ken, thrown in the trash where it belongs.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It's a shame FE Warriors didn't have the variety of characters and history like Hyrule Warriors does. I wanted to play as people who weren't just Awakening and Fates and even having Camilla, Lyn, the usual suspects, and a few fun characters in it didn't entice me to pick it up. Hyrule Warriors had Marin of all people. Way cool.

Also the idea of a developer adding someone as a "waifu" doesn't...seem right. Same with the bias argument. Idk. Doesn't hold a lot of water with me.
Honestly, Hyrule Warriors didn't have that much variety until Legends, it was only OoT, TP, and SS with two DLC characters from MM, so kind of exactly what FE Warriors had with three games and two characters not from those games. Legends was when it got diverse with WW, LA, ST, and LBW added.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Here is something I just thought of:

Who is the fighting team going to be in Classic Mode? I feel it may be miis again.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah lets see what happens. Probably should have added him too, but I don't think we should replace Skull Kid and keep Shadow then, they logically have the same thing going for them. On top of this Skull Kid has even more with an item functioning as his old AT, remixed MM music, possible MM connects with YL (whos final smash and possible alternate costumes are hidden from us at the moment).
The problem with that is that, well...they're pretty close, but the huge difference is how easy Shadow is as an Echo.
Skull Kid would be an ENTIRELY new character.

So, way different development costs and time.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Jazz...
Jazz starts with the letter J...
The letter J is part of the English Alphabet...
Just like the letter I...
Incineroar starts with the letter I...

BUBSY CONFIRMED!!!
What could possibly go wrong with his inclussion?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom