• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So no news as of now from the Big House event?
To my knowledge, no. If something is happening next week, my guess is it'll be announced somewhere in between tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday. If we get to Tuesday and it's still radio silence, it probably means nothing is happening until around the end of the month.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So... do you guys think we'll get an entire direct, or just a trailer ala Robin and Lucina?
I'm thinking the latter or a single reveal.

Either Isaac/Felix or Incineroar or maybe even Skull Kid.

Hoping Medusa though although I don't think it will be.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm thinking it'll be a random trailer, but i'd love a full direct.
Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly...
I'm thinking the latter or a single reveal.

Either Isaac/Felix or Incineroar or maybe even Skull Kid.

Hoping Medusa though although I don't think it will be.
I really wouldn't expect that many fan favorites from here on out... (Except for maybe one specific person...)
It's not likely that all of the Newcomers will be highly requested...
Incineroar
You got to have the oddball choices (Wii Fit Trainer), as well as Sakurai's Personal Picks (Shulk, FE reps)
Characters like that make Smash fun...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I really wouldn't expect all of the characters to be fan favorites from here on out... (Except for maybe one specific person...)
Incineroar
You got to have the oddball choices (Wii Fit Trainer), as well as Sakurai's Personal Picks (Shulk, FE reps)
Do you think Inkling, Simon and Richter fall into that category? Otherwise so far everyone I know had been heavily requested characters.

Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, Isabelle, King K. Rool and Ridley I recall had been highly requested with King K. Rool and Ridley being the most.

Last edited:
Full on Smash Direct please. Announce the rest of the roster and talk about Spirits mode as well as other modes such as All-Star mode, Stadium modes etc, maybe finally show us trophies? I agree with Source Gaming's latest podcast on Smash, it's kinda odd that we haven't seen any trophies in this game yet. Make the direct like an hour and a half long if that's what it takes. I don't want this game's full roster leaked like Smash 4's was.

However, I am expecting a Robin/Lucina like reveal.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
It's been 2 months since the last smash direct, and then it was 2 months since E3 when that happened.
A smash direct is very likely if we're getting one.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My only small issue with the Fire Emblem characters is that they mostly use swords. I've played awakening, there are several awesome types of warriors they could be using.
I mean, yeah, but I prefer not putting random units just because they use bows or something.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Good question, but here's a better one,

What if you took it at face value like it was meant to be?
First off, coming in hot with your snide comment is probably not a good way to start a productive dialog. Unless you were meaning to be a jerk, in which case I would say you're doing alright so far.

Second, there's not a definitive answer to what he meant by the word "pace". It could refer to the timing between reveals, the amount of reveals, or the number of characters left to reveal. Taking the word "pace" at "face value" (so IOW, by its definition) doesn't really shed too much more light on this.

Though I sincerely doubt he meant the pace will slow down by a day, it is very possible that the pace may slow down by maybe a week in comparison to what we've grown accustomed to. To the Smash community, this is still a significant slow down (because we're all like rabid dogs).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Do you think Inkling, Simon and Richter fall into that category? Otherwise so far everyone I know had been heavily requested characters.

Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, Isabelle, King K. Rool and Ridley.
Yes, but I believe from here on out, all of the Newcomers will be personal Sakurai picks... It's his game after all,
If they had characters like Isaac or Skull Kid they probably would have announced them by now...
So basically, the contenders I see (that are not
Incineroar
Who by the way, kinda proves my point on some non fan favorites), are Elma, Steve, or any Rhythm Heaven Rep. All of these characters are from franchises that Sakurai has a personal love for... I really wouldn't be surprised if one got in...
If you are only expecting fan favorites, you're kinda setting yourself up for disappointment...

osby

Smash Obsessed

Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, Isabelle, King K. Rool and Ridley I recall had been highly requested with King K. Rool and Ridley being the most.
Inkling and Simon, definitely.

Richter was really popular among Castlevania fans but since he's not speculated, he's not what Smash fandom calls fan-favourite or requested.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I really wouldn't expect that many fan favorites from here on out... (Except for maybe one specific person...)
Incineroar
Yes, but I believe from here on out, all of the Newcomers will be personal Sakurai picks... It's his game after all,
If they had characters like Isaac or Skull Kid they probably would have announced them by now...
Incineroar
Who by the way, kinda proves my point on some non fan favorites), are Elma, Steve, or any Rhythm Heaven Rep. All of these characters are from franchises that Sakurai has a personal love for... I really wouldn't be surprised if one got in...
If you are only expecting fan favorites, you're kinda setting yourself up for disappointment...
You're saying "Sakurai's Personal Picks" like those characters wouldn't have enough qualifications to be included otherwise.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Inkling and Simon, definitely.

Richter was really popular among Castlevania fans but since he's not speculated, he's not what Smash fandom calls fan-favourite or requested.
Inklings had a huge amount of ballot support. They didn't need it, but they were still a popular request.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, Isabelle, King K. Rool and Ridley.
People are flexing the term "heavily requested".

Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool were highly requested, no questions there, but the rest are a little more fuzzy. Daisy was popular, but not nearly as popular as the other Mario characters. Similarly, Simon was popular, but there were quite a few third-parties who got brought up more frequently, namely Banjo, Geno, Rayman, and of course, Snake himself. Sakurai mentioned Chrom and Dark Samus being popular, but how did they stack up against characters who couldn't work as Echoes? I'm sure they ranked high, but it'd be generous to say they were in the top 20. Isabelle is hard to gauge. She's extremely popular, but for Smash? I doubt she was requested enough to be considered a frontrunner.

I don't know what we'll get going forward, but I think anyone who still believes we're getting fan-favorites and nothing but fan-favorites is setting themselves up for disappointment with these last few characters.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
So... do you guys think we'll get an entire direct, or just a trailer ala Robin and Lucina?
I think we'll get nothing this month, new characters right after Sakurai saying stuff about spacing the reveals seems odd to me. Personally until the last week of this month at the very soon I won't spect some news. I think that a final Direct is the only stuff wee'll see.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Incineroar
I don't think Sakurai is just ticking the boxes of the ballot from top to bottom.

Also, all three you listed would be nice. Really, "Sakurai picks" hardly ever bothered me, I wouldn't complain if we got cool characters even if their popularity don't exactly set the world on fire.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think we'll get nothing this month, new characters right after Sakurai saying stuff about spacing the reveals seems odd to me. Personally until the last week of this month at the very soon I won't spect some news. I think that a final Direct is the only stuff wee'll see.
Thing is that statement was supposed to be issued FAR earlier than it was. Like a month back.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Definitely leaning towards the charcter(s) reveal. In my mind, it makes too much sense especially If he wants to slow down reveals or news for a bit. Give us a little something and the next direct could be later with a lot more to show.
But who knows.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I'm leaning towards a direct. They've got Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee for November to sell, so Nintendo's focus will be on that. Furthermore, leaving a final direct for November might increase the chance of the roster being leaked. We already saw that Ken image. Given time, I believe an Incineroar (or any reveal left to be seen) image might pop up.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A character reveal would be preferable, because that means there's still likely to be another Direct in which to cover Spirits and any other remaining loose ends, which means further character reveal(s). If this were to be the Direct that covered all that, who knows what the next few months would entail.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You're saying "Sakurai's Personal Picks" like those characters wouldn't have enough qualifications to be included otherwise.
I do think they have other qualifications (Legacy for Steve, Moveset Potential for Elma and an Unrepresented Genre for the RH rep), but I think it's worth noting that they kind of have Sakurai bias on their side... Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't that big until Shulk got into Smash, and he seems to have got in because Sakurai took a liking to his game and his moveset potential. Sure, Sakurai bias isn't the be all end all of character selection, but it's still worth noting...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not necessarily. The box theory just says there's an echo between...I want to say Palutena and Cloud? Somewhere around there. That could or could not he Ken. Medusa being revealed would not break the box theory.

Also it claims a single new unique newcomer and that could literally be anyone. So if we get, let's say Elma revealed in a trailer/direct, that doesn't break box theory.

Box theory only breaks when we get echoes other than a character between Palutena and Cloud, or when we get more than one unique newcomer (all in base).

Thank you for coming to my box themed Ted Talk
Ok then answer this then

If we get someone for the other side Since ryu is on the other side where does ken go then? He’s pretty much locked at this point

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I agree, they really are one of the companies that most deserve a character in Smash based on the historic trend of Japanese developers with very successful games and ties to Nintendo getting characters in.

The other big companies that have earned their place in Smash (in rough order of how much I estimate they deserve representation):
  • Atlus (Megami Tensei/Persona)
  • Arc System Works [Double Dragon/Kunio-kun (Dodgeball/River City)]
  • Level-5 (Professor Layton/Yo-kai Watch)
  • Microsoft (Banjo & Kazooie/Minecraft)
  • WB Interactive Entertainment (Mortal Kombat/Scribblenauts)
I'd also give shout-outs to the defunct Hudson and Enix, who really deserve to be represented even though the companies they are now part of already have representation. If there are any other big companies I've missed, feel free to throw their name in the ring!

I see what you did there, and I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate it.
Bethesda

ea

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I think, that we're getting Smash Direct or new fighter trailer later this month, through that I can see possible of new smash direct being announced at The Big house, but It is unlikely to do so.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I know, that's why i said Shantae.
*sob*
Hang in there bud

I think, that we're getting Smash Direct or new fighter trailer later this month, through that I can see possible of new smash direct being announced at The Big house, but It is unlikely to do so.
Did we just forget about the New banner being removed and the secret video upload?
I see people assuming, again, suddenly, that we'll either get a reveal quite late in October or only in November.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Based on what? Patterns based off previous games? Ultimate is clearly a different beast roster-wise.
Not saying it's out of the realm of possibility, but what assurance do we have that guarantees the rest of the newcomers being highly requested? We're already expecting Incineroar, so that's not exactly a good start to pushing the idea that the final characters will mirror the hype of Ridley and K. Rool.

Yes, Ultimate has broken a lot of patterns, but you can't apply that to every argument and expect a favorable outcome. Truth is, we don't know what to expect. For all we know, we might have already seen the most exciting additions.

Better to lower your expectations and end up pleasantly suprised than to get salty from unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think it's entirely possible that the remaining newcomers are based on a lot of requests, even if we don't see it. We may not see much vocal support for them around the hardcore Smash community sites, but for some characters their support is silent, and others' simply having more vocal support outside the hardcore community. Characters like these I'd imagine would have had at least a decent placing on the ballot.

Of course I could be entirely wrong, but it seems like a good possibility, even for characters we've gotten other than K. Rool and Ridley. It's not like we'll ever know, anyway, because we'll never see the ballot results.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So.... Shantae is in?
Shantae's kind of in a tough situation to be quite honest with you, The king of Nindies, Shovel Knight got confirmed as an Assist trophy. After that, I expect Shantae to have the same fate. However, being an Assist Trophy alone is still a big deal, as it means that she's still in Smash (one of the biggest games of the year) one way or another... She'll still get farther than other highly requested characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom