• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Let's play a game, imagine if Nintendo stopped making Consoles and became a third party developer (Let's hope that doesn't happen). A new Smash game is coming with a version exclusive character on the following systems:

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Who would the characters be?
Playstation: Parrapa the Rappa
Xbox: Jago (Killer Instinct)

I can't really say much about what Steam character I want.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I desperately want a new Zelda character, if only to prove that this stupid "only the Triforce" fan rule is and always was meaningless. I don't know what Sakurai's reasoning was for not including Midna or Tingle sooner, but I doubt it had anything to do with their lack of association with the Triforce.
Only the characters that showed up the most in the Zelda series have managed to become playable so far, and yet Hyrule Warriors isn't so hesitant, having everyone and their mother playable. If that had a sequel, I bet they'd add some that weren't around in the original, like Vaati, General Onox/Veran and even the Zora Queen from ALBW.

My guess is that the suits must think the non-Link/Zelda/Ganondorf characters are flavors of the month (similarly to Pokémon), even though fans clearly want people like Midna and Skull Kid to get in. It's particularly absurd with Impa, who is considered to be the same character in every game she makes an appearance in, even with her varied designs throughout the series.

Last edited:

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm LaxChris and I run a channel on youtube. I found a pretty interesting leak on 4chan that I for some reason feel could actually happen, it would be mighty cool if you all took a look before my video finishes rendering
Dude I found a interesting leak for your Channel. I could give it to you if you want.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Only the characters that showed up the most in the Zelda series have managed to become playable so far, and yet Hyrule Warriors isn't so hesitant, having everyone and their mother playable. If that had a sequel, I bet they'd add some that weren't around in the original, like Vaati, General Onox/Veran and even the Zora Queen from ALBW.

My guess is that the suits must think the non-Link/Zelda/Ganondorf characters are flavors of the month (similarly to Pokémon), even though fans clearly want people like Midna and Skull Kid to get in.
The suits? The one who decides newcomers is Sakurai.

Also, flavor of the month argument didn't stop him from adding Greninja or Corrin.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Let's play a game, imagine if Nintendo stopped making Consoles and became a third party developer (Let's hope that doesn't happen). A new Smash game is coming with a version exclusive character on the following systems:

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Hmm....now that's a good question.

Playstation- Ratchet & Clank
Xbox- Fulgore
Steam- Gordon Freeman.

There. Simple.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe it was them being NPCs with one appearence, at least for characters like Midna or Skull Kid. Tingle... well, that should be obvious.
Could be, but even if they have one appearance, I feel like most of the popular Zelda characters are far more recognizable than some of the other one-shots (or former one-shots) we have on the roster. Heck, even some of the recurring playable characters like Shulk and the FE protagonists are arguably less recognizable.

I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't think that's it. I can't see Sakurai being worried about people not knowing who Midna or Skull Kid are just because they weren't playable and only had one appearance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The suits? The one who decides newcomers is Sakurai.

Also, flavor of the month argument didn't stop him from adding Greninja or Corrin.
So what on Earth could it be? Is he not that interested with the series (which I doubt to a degree)? Is he not able to come up with any satisfactory movesets for additional Zelda characters yet, when HW shows it is possible? Has he simply not thought about it?

I wonder if anyone ever directly asked him about the topic.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
What did I miss since last night (PST)? Anything?

I see Lax Chris (or someone claiming to be him) is now here? What fun

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Maybe she can finally get a chance, since the "Triforce" is complete to start with this time.

:ultganondorf:
:ultzelda::ultsheik:
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

Edit: For some reason, the post doesn't neatly arrange the icons into a triangle, oh well.
They’re in a triangle, so good enough. Now we gotta start a new triangle with Impa, Skull Kid...and Groose

osby

Smash Obsessed
Could be, but even if they have one appearance, I feel like most of the popular Zelda characters are far more recognizable than some of the other one-shots (or former one-shots) we have on the roster. Heck, even some of the recurring playable characters like Shulk and the FE protagonists are arguably less recognizable.

I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't think that's it. I can't see Sakurai being worried about people not knowing who Midna or Skull Kid are just because they weren't playable and only had one appearance.
I didn't said anything about recognisability.

So what on Earth could it be? Is he not that interested with the series (which I doubt to a degree)? Is he not able to come up with any satisfactory movesets for additional Zelda characters yet, when HW shows it is possible? Has he simply not thought about it?

I wonder if anyone ever directly asked him about the topic.
Hyrule Warriors and Smash play nothing alike, and even if they did
  1. Adding a character is not simply "coming up" with moves
  2. Hyrule Warriors is a Legend of Zelda spin-off, it has every reason to add side characters, just like Fire Emblem Warriors did

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
lmao that new leak is so damn fake XD

Though I applaud it being at least somewhat original and predicting Roll and Jibanyan.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People still think that making Smash characters is simply slapping moves and references onto a nice new model of the character when it's been said many times, even by Sakurai himself, that designing a character is a lot more work than that. Can't say I'm surprised, sadly.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
People still think that making Smash characters is simply slapping moves and references onto a nice new model of the character when it's been said many times, even by Sakurai himself, that designing a character is a lot more work than that.
Yeah, but it's not like they got anything else to do. It's pretty much their whole job.

Keep that assembly line rolling, Sak! We need to be at 100 by 2020!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hyrule Warriors and Smash play nothing alike, and even if they did
  1. Adding a character is not simply "coming up" with moves
  2. Hyrule Warriors is a Legend of Zelda spin-off, it has every reason to add side characters, just like Fire Emblem Warriors did
People still think that making Smash characters is simply slapping moves and references onto a nice new model of the character when it's been said many times, even by Sakurai himself, that designing a character is a lot more work than that. Can't say I'm surprised, sadly.

Okay, so what do you gentlemen think is the reason for Sakurai not putting anyone new from Zelda yet? I'm honestly curious about some second opinions.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Kratos. Master Chief. Gordon Freeman.

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
I desperately want a new Zelda character, if only to prove that this stupid "only the Triforce" fan rule is and always was meaningless. I don't know what Sakurai's reasoning was for not including Midna or Tingle sooner, but I doubt it had anything to do with their lack of association with the Triforce.
I can see skull kid taking the spotlight but has for Midna will stay assisted as a trophie. Doesn’t seem like Sakurai wants more Zelda characters considering we have like 5 characters Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Young Link, Ganondorf. :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf: All ready for enough by putting Skull kid a majority of the group. Not more then that sadly.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Well, yeah, there's a lot of programming involved. Programming is pretty complex stuff, even for simple programs, and Smash is a very intricate game. Writing the code to make a character move and act like they should is going to take a while, especially since the code is going to have to be rewritten several times to work out unexpected kinks, snags, and bugs.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey guys, I'm LaxChris and I run a channel on youtube. I found a pretty interesting leak on 4chan that I for some reason feel could actually happen, it would be mighty cool if you all took a look before my video finishes rendering
Day 1 DLC.... If it where echoes then maybe, (though I'd still hesitate.) But fully unique characters? Nah.
Plus the guy is way to open to talk about his supposed profession that only put things into more question.

Shame though, since I would have liked it to be real. if only that Jibanyan's base inclusion would have helped Layton's chances for DLC due to Level-5's involvement....

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I didn't said anything about recognisability.
If that wasn't your point, then what were you getting at when you mentioned them being a non-playable character and a one-shot? Dark Samus is an NPC who only made one appearance, yet she still got in Smash. Clones and Echoes might be easier to implement, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to unique characters too.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Okay, so what do you gentlemen think is the reason for Sakurai not putting anyone new from Zelda yet? I'm honestly curious about some second opinions.
Because he's too busy jacking off to Fire Emblem deviantart? :4pacman:

In all seriousness, I think it's because he has trouble visualizing movesets for some of the less prominent Zelda characters, and some like Impa have appearances not very suitable for a fighting game (old grandma Impa/thicc Impa). The obvious answer to me is to just base an Impa moveset mainly off of her OoT incarnation but *shrug* that's just a guess.

He probably also feels that having the big three (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and Sheik who is really Zelda) is enough to represent the series as a whole as those three are the most enduring characters throughout the whole series. With the exception of Impa, many of the other side characters are relegated to importance only in one or a couple games (a la Skull Kid). Sheik can be seen as an exception because she's only really important in OoT but again, Sheik is really Zelda so...

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If that wasn't your point, then what were you getting at when you mentioned being a non-playable one-shot? Dark Samus is an NPC who only made one appearance, yet she still got in Smash. Clones and Echoes might be easier to implement, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to unique characters too.
Um... Dark Samus has actually had two appearances.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If that wasn't your point, then what were you getting at when you mentioned them being a non-playable character and a one-shot? Dark Samus is an NPC who only made one appearance, yet she still got in Smash. Clones and Echoes might be easier to implement, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to unique characters too.
Because adding unique characters means commiting a lot more time and resources to them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can see skull kid taking the spotlight but has for Midna will stay assisted as a trophie. Doesn’t seem like Sakurai wants more Zelda characters considering we have like 5 characters Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Young Link, Ganondorf. :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf: All ready for enough by putting Skull kid a majority of the group. Not more then that sadly.
My bad 6 characters my mistake
Not to mention that the only change Zelda's roster has gotten this time (so far) is replacing Zelda with a completely different one that's not related to OOT or TP. Not even an Echo, as that would be easier to program than an unique character.

Granted, there's also the adult Link in here being the BOTW one, but that goes without saying.

Because he's too busy jacking off to Fire Emblem deviantart? :4pacman:

In all seriousness, I think it's because he has trouble visualizing movesets for some of the less prominent Zelda characters, and some like Impa have appearances not very suitable for a fighting game. The obvious answer to me is to just base an Impa moveset mainly off of her OoT incarnation but *shrug* that's just a guess.

He probably also feels that having the big three (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf) is enough to represent the series as a whole as those three are the most enduring characters throughout the whole series. With the exception of Impa, many of the other side characters are relegated to importance only in one or a couple games (a la Skull Kid).
If that is indeed the reason (besides having trouble coming up with movesets, as I said before), then Sakurai is a mountain that won't move, as far as asking for additional Zelda newcomers is concerned. Even Donkey Kong and Metroid have gotten new characters, and they're not nearly as huge as Zelda.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
RE Sora having the "best" odds of getting in the game rn: Disney, by giving approval of Sora, has to essentially write off on every single thing in the game (Bayonetta, violence, characters with guns, waft, and pretty much any other thing that can be deemed offensive). So that's what I think is what will make Sora getting in almost impossible

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Honestly I don't see why day 1 or within first week dlc is out of the realm of possibility (why 2 characters idk. Feels like the faker couldn't pick one of the rumored dlc fighters and picked both instead).

What I find hard to believe is that Ken would get a trailer but not Shadow & Roll? Like one of the reasons Ken is speculated to have a trailer is because he's a third party character and it could work with an Incineroar reveal. So I can't see him getting a trailer but not Shadow (Roll eh...), and that trailer isn't even playing off Fire fighters as much as it is cats.... Yea that was just too all over the place to believe.

(Also not a single "leak" has predicted a trailer. We should learn our lesson)

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Not to mention that the only change Zelda's roster has gotten this time (so far) is replacing Zelda with a completely different one that's not related to OOT or TP. Not even an Echo, as that would be easier to program than an unique character.

If that is indeed the reason (besides having trouble coming up with movesets, as I said before), then Sakurai is a mountain that won't move, as far as asking for additional Zelda newcomers is concerned. Even Donkey Kong and Metroid have gotten new characters, and they're not nearly as huge as Zelda.
Possibly, unless he wants to include a champion from BoTW or something...BoTW was hardcore into development in 2015 after all. If what I said is true though then yeah, I doubt anyone outside Impa really has a chance this cycle.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Yeah but this Zelda is cuter and has more personality so who gives a ****. Sorry, but really. That's a straight up buff in my eyes.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Dark Samus is an NPC who only made one appearance
Dark Samus isn't just some one-shot NPC that got into Smash just because they were easy to implement as an echo. They appeared twice as the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 2 and 3, and was originally the titular Metroid Prime, which you fought as the final boss of the first MP. Plus, plenty of fan demand helped.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
"Representation" in Smash is not only about characters. Zelda has a ton of items, stages, assists, etc. My guess is that whatever choosing process Sakurai and co. use also includes those to balance the game's content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom