• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
People really shouldn't try to force a Halloween theme for possible October newcomers. I mean, I get why it could be fun to speculate, but I don't think Nintendo is all that concerned about tying in characters with holidays.

If they did, I can guarantee you Simon would've been held off until October. You couldn't find a better character to represent Halloween if you tried.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Just to clarify, he hasn't heard from his sources anything about the Square Enix character potentially being DLC, that's just his own speculations about it in regards to the box theory. The only thing he's heard is that there's definitely a Square Enix newcomer in the game, so if it isn't in the base game then the logical conclusion would be that it's early DLC.
Time to do a summary about what we know about the Square-Enix Character with a tiny Timeline

- Vergeben learn the existence of a Square-Enix Character, without knowing it's identity. Implied to come from his most trusted smash source.

-Vergeben latter get a name from a random source who supposedly "confirmed" what he knows so far. Decide to not share the name since he doesn't feel like the information is right until he get confirmation about his other sources

-Later on, Hitagi talk about the Square-Enix Characters too, first one to explain that "jobs are on the line"

- Vergeben latter says that if the box Theory is right, the Square-Enix Characters might be DLC then. But he double down on the existence of Ken/Incineroar and that Smash Characters

- Later on. Vergeben reveal the tactics of Square-Enix and why jobs are on the line. Employee are receiving multiple name of potential candidate to trap leakers and get to the source. Nintendo are playing along too, protecting that Character on their side. Vergeben confirm that he indeed got a list of Characters name.

- Vergeben make a comment about Geno, a supposition ,saying that since everyone predict him and expect him, Square might internally not "care"/take seriously talk about Geno being leaked/Fake leaked. Not confirming or denying if Geno is on the list of names or not.

- He believe there a realistic scenario possible that the Character might be DLC

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I gotta be honest, I don’t like this thing people have where most of the ****ty people in the community are a vocal minority. Because while it’s true that they are, this could lead to it being where anyone who dares criticize the game in any fashion whatsoever will be considered a vocal minority and thus their opinion doesn’t matter.
When in doubt, remember:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It’s the month before the game comes out and that means leaks are going to sprout up like weeds. Both fake AND real.
You forgot fake leaks that happen to be true by simple coincidence/lucky guessing.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
People really shouldn't try to force a Halloween theme for possible October newcomers. I mean, I get why it could be fun to speculate, but I don't think Nintendo is all that concerned about tying in characters with holidays.

If they did, I can guarantee you Simon would've been held off until October. You couldn't find a better character to represent Halloween if you tried.
That and Halloween isn’t as big around the world as the US. Not everything needs to cater towards that region.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Wait a second

I was right all along

If we get just anybody else the box theory is dead

And here’s why

If we get anybody outside ken and incineroar

Where...do...they...go on the box Especially since ken was leaked
Not necessarily. The box theory just says there's an echo between...I want to say Palutena and Cloud? Somewhere around there. That could or could not he Ken. Medusa being revealed would not break the box theory.

Also it claims a single new unique newcomer and that could literally be anyone. So if we get, let's say Elma revealed in a trailer/direct, that doesn't break box theory.

Box theory only breaks when we get echoes other than a character between Palutena and Cloud, or when we get more than one unique newcomer (all in base).

Thank you for coming to my box themed Ted Talk

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Remember the Funky "leak"?
When Ultimate is released, someone should do a timeline of the leaks. I like how we moved from low-effort text leaks (which we're still getting), to 'riddle leaks' (cos a real insider is needlessly cryptic, amirite), to a sudden surge in fake image leaks (e.g. the Agnes one) to where we are now, which is mostly speculation surrounding several theories and the few remaining leakers who still have their reputation intact. It'd also be cool to track the rise and fall of certain 'leakers' (godspeed Loz, you glorious fraud) and the popularity of characters in the leaks.

Having said all this, fake leaks aren't going to stop anytime soon: we'll get maybe a month respite at most, and then it'll be onto DLC speculation.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Not necessarily. The box theory just says there's an echo between...I want to say Palutena and Cloud? Somewhere around there. That could or could not he Ken. Medusa being revealed would not break the box theory.

Also it claims a single new unique newcomer and that could literally be anyone. So if we get, let's say Elma revealed in a trailer/direct, that doesn't break box theory.

Box theory only breaks when we get echoes other than a character between Palutena and Cloud, or when we get more than one unique newcomer (all in base).

Thank you for coming to my box themed Ted Talk
Considering we’ve got that Ken screenshot floating around that seems pretty real a Medusa reveal actually would break box theory.

Props for promoting Elma though!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I gotta be honest, I don’t like this thing people have where most of the ****ty people in the community are a vocal minority. Because while it’s true that they are, this could lead to it being where anyone who dares criticize the game in any fashion whatsoever will be considered a vocal minority and thus their opinion doesn’t matter.
I'm not saying that the vocal minority don't matter but they will be outnumbered by the amount of people who will be satisfied with the final result of this game.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As far as I'm concerned DLC is a No until explicit confirmation.

Bill Trinen is on record saying that DLC is up to Sakurai. It may be likely but we shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
As far as I'm concerned DLC is a No until explicit confirmation.

Bill Trinen is on record saying that DLC is up to Sakurai. It may be likely but we shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.
I remember hearing that Sakurai isn't even talking about DLC at all until after the game is released. Not sure how true that is but I kind of hope it's true, gives more room to talk about more new fighters and Spirits.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Considering we’ve got that Ken screenshot floating around that seems pretty real a Medusa reveal actually would break box theory.

Props for promoting Elma though!
True, but, and I'll be one of the first to point out there is no real evidence against the Ken photo, using one "leak" to disprove another "theory" doesn't work. Nothing is real until proven otherwise.

And as for Elma, lol I just picked a character I don't care about so that I wasn't promoting bias, but you're welcome :p

Darkurai

Smash Master
I remember hearing that Sakurai isn't even talking about DLC at all until after the game is released. Not sure how true that is but I kind of hope it's true, gives more room to talk about more new fighters and Spirits.
I remember this too, but when confronted on it I couldn't find a source. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't something Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo has ever said. The closest I could find was Bill Trinen at E3 saying that they were currently focusing on finishing the game and he hoped they would have more to say about that closer to launch, which is a standard PR non-answer.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I don't think anyone's trying to force it, they're just hoping for it.
That and Halloween isn’t as big around the world as the US. Not everything needs to cater towards that region.
We can't influence anything Sakurai does anyways. It's still better than square dancing about boxes again.

Also, we have no clue what'll be announced this month, if anything, so this is the one surefire "lead" people got right now.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So the current theory is that Ken and Incinaroar are the last characters are we'll have a month of nothing to avoid leaks?

I hope to almighty Palutena that they'll announce when the last character has been shown.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
"Thing is true but we shouldn't act like it's true because it would represent reality."

This whole 4chan mentality is annoying and if it's bait then it's the most shriveled can of dessicated worms I've ever seen.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So the current theory is that Ken and Incinaroar are the last characters are we'll have a month of nothing to avoid leaks?

I hope to almighty Palutena that they'll announce when the last character has been shown.
Some people think Isabelle is the end, too. I wonder if people have forgotten Sakurai explicitly said Bayonetta was the last character reveal for Sm4sh.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Don't see why they wouldn't. It'd be pretty redundant to show us the last character and not clarify that we aren't getting anything else.

Then again, even if Sakurai said "this is the final character we have left to reveal", people would still look for "clues" as to who the REAL final character is because there's absolutely no way their favorite character didn't get in.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

We’ve been through a month of nothing before, we can handle it...Viridi for Smash

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Not a month. Theory is next week we’ll get a direct for the last characters and info for Smash.
The information only really points towards at least one character reveal. It being a Direct with the last batch of characters and information is pure speculation.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Oh I'm like 99% sure Sakurai will be like this is Ultimate's roster and show either the full CSS or the mural.

It's such a selling point for the game that I can't see him not doing that....However if 103 stages is the final number it could be as vauge as that was and that will be horrible for a month :/

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
When Ultimate is released, someone should do a timeline of the leaks. I like how we moved from low-effort text leaks (which we're still getting), to 'riddle leaks' (cos a real insider is needlessly cryptic, amirite), to a sudden surge in fake image leaks (e.g. the Agnes one) to where we are now, which is mostly speculation surrounding several theories and the few remaining leakers who still have their reputation intact. It'd also be cool to track the rise and fall of certain 'leakers' (godspeed Loz, you glorious fraud) and the popularity of characters in the leaks.

Having said all this, fake leaks aren't going to stop anytime soon: we'll get maybe a month respite at most, and then it'll be onto DLC speculation.
I'd also add the rising popularity of leaks predicting the blog post in order to get attention, but yeah, I really enjoy stuff like this. I like to think of Smash speculation as some big, epic storyline, with plot twists at every corner.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Don't see why they wouldn't. It'd be pretty redundant to show us the last character and not clarify that we aren't getting anything else.

Then again, even if Sakurai said "this is the final character we have left to reveal", people would still look for "clues" as to who the REAL final character is because there's absolutely no way their favorite character didn't get in.
I should add, Sakurai didn’t say “this is the last character reveal” during Sm4sh’s lifespan until the actual last character reveal, which happened over a year after the game actually came out.
So until he explicitly says there’s nothing else, don’t count anything out!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I remember this too, but when confronted on it I couldn't find a source. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't something Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo has ever said. The closest I could find was Bill Trinen at E3 saying that they were currently focusing on finishing the game and he hoped they would have more to say about that closer to launch, which is a standard PR non-answer.
Ah, so another fan rule, got it.

Some people think Isabelle is the end, too. I wonder if people have forgotten Sakurai explicitly said Bayonetta was the last character reveal for Sm4sh.
On the topic of Isabelle, I was thinking about the interview article in regards to her being delayed, and how Sakurai said reveals would be slower. If things went according to plan, Isabelle would have been shown on the 6th of September, shortly followed by the article and an entire month of nothing (instead, it was just a few weeks). So, Sakurai was correct about the reveals being slower, the statement was only posted after the fact.

I should add, Sakurai didn’t say “this is the last character reveal” during Sm4sh’s lifespan until the actual last character reveal, which happened over a year after the game actually came out.
So until he explicitly says there’s nothing else, don’t count anything out!
That's the spirit, anon! It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

In the meantime, what's this I hear about an October 9 leak?

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Ah, so another fan rule, got it.

On the topic of Isabelle, I was thinking about the interview article in regards to her being delayed, and how Sakurai said reveals would be slower. If things went according to plan, Isabelle would have been shown on the 6th of September, shortly followed by the article and an entire month of nothing (instead, it was just a few weeks). So, Sakurai was correct about the reveals being slower, the statement was only posted after the fact.

That's the spirit, anon! It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

In the meantime, what's this I hear about an October 9 leak?
I haven’t heard anything about the 9th but from what I can guess it has to do with Bill Trinen’s tweet. 72 hours remain could mean 72 hours until a Direct announcement.
Also for people who are skeptical about that tweet, remember, Bill’s done this stuff before. The Snake thing COULD be chalked up to a coincidence, but I dunno.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is what Sakurai stated when asked about DLC for Smash 4.

However, what I can say now about paid DLC is that we aren’t working on anything at the moment. We’ve put all our efforts into making the actual game. Creating DLC would involve large additional costs and require the involvement of a lot of people. I can’t yet give you an answer about whether the price would justify the costs and criticisms mentioned above.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
This is a good point. The thing everyone says regarding DLC is that they HAVE to be working on it now because the game is “basically done at this point” and that the developers aren’t just sitting on their asses doing nothing.
That argument...is complete horse**** on every level. Guess what? You’re right. They AREN’T sitting on their asses doing nothing. You know what they’re doing? WORKING ON THE GAME, CAUSE IT AIN’T DONE YET. They’ll be working on the game until after it goes gold and review copies get sent out, and then they’ll still be working on it until the game comes out.
So to say that the game is done and thus that means they’re absolutely working on DLC now is flat-out wrong. This is different from Sm4sh, where there were two different versions of the game that were mostly the same.
This isn’t to say DLC won’t happen, because it absolutely will, but to say it’s already happening is just wrong.

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
In the meantime, what's this I hear about an October 9 leak?[/QUOTE]
It’s a speculation route leak is my guess. We might reserve something on 9th like new upcoming character rounds. But people are gonna leak no matter the cost wether or not it happens.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What if there’s only a fat man who can’t sing due to the fat woman being late?
Don't take this too literally...

This is a good point. The thing everyone says regarding DLC is that they HAVE to be working on it now because the game is “basically done at this point” and that the developers aren’t just sitting on their ***** doing nothing.
That argument...is complete horse**** on every level. Guess what? You’re right. They AREN’T sitting on their ***** doing nothing. You know what they’re doing? WORKING ON THE GAME, CAUSE IT AIN’T DONE YET. They’ll be working on the game until after it goes gold and review copies get sent out, and then they’ll still be working on it until the game comes out.
So to say that the game is done and thus that means they’re absolutely working on DLC now is flat-out wrong. This is different from Sm4sh, where there were two different versions of the game that were mostly the same.
This isn’t to say DLC won’t happen, because it absolutely will, but to say it’s already happening is just wrong.
Yeah man, they still got to do balancing, graphical refinements, and other finishing touches. That's still plenty to do until the possibility of DLC is viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom