• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
So this has probably been talked about, but what does two weeks with only two character trailers on the blog mean for blog theory?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So this has probably been talked about, but what does two weeks with only two character trailers on the blog mean for blog theory?
Nothing, because the blog theory tries to count how many empty spaces are left and the rate of character blogs per week changes everytime. There is no pattern unfortunately. It's gone from 7-8 characters left down to 4-5, and that's assuming it goes back to 3 per week when it was only 2 this week yet again. It could change, but it's all a guess.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Sakuari did say they were front loading characters. And that they are slowing down. This means blog theory may agree with the box

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Absolutely nothing.
The blog theory IMO has always been invalid, because it's just too vague to actually give informations.
It assumes that the pattern followed by the blog is very strict and can't be changed, while it isn't and they changed it several times already,
Also, the result of the blog theory is that we will get 2 to 8 newcomers, something that anyone could have guessed even without making complex calculations and following the blog posts.
It's so vague that whatever happens, it still would fit the 2 to 8 range and the theory would still look "valid"; but it's not.
Also, as I said, even if there are 8 newcomer to show on the blog, what if the last 4 are DLCs announced for future release and they aren't on the base roster?
The blog theory is just very inconsistent and it doesn't tell us any solid information.

There is only one information that comes out from the blog: by the first week of september, they have shown the last new stage (Final Destination - Final Destination and Battlefield are considered new stages because of their new design).
This information may be useless but some days ago I speculated that because of this, new stages would have been announced soon because they can't just show old stuff for 2 months; I speculated that a new Smash Direct would have been very likely for the second or third week or october (Smash Direct, not regular, because they have to show many stages, probably 5).
This before knowing that the playlist was updated and the "new" tag would have been removed from the character section of the site.
Now, it appears that a direct/smash direct is very likely next week, and that speculation of mine seems to be pretty accurate (but it's still a big maybe until the official announcement comes).

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
i think we finally have our box theory killer :D
Anything that kills the box theory is a blessing in my book. Having Ken and Incineroar be the last two would be so underwhelming, plus then this gives room for characters I actually want to be added *cough*Skull Kid and Shadow*cough*

Potato_

Smash Lord
In regards to the big Incineroar stuff happening next week, with its new card being released in the TCG and having an episode focused around it in the anime. Smash-wise if this was any company other than TPC I would've said ignore it. However, knowing them I wouldn't be surprised if they coordinated this with Sakurai to ensure Incineroar gets its reveal trailer during the week where its face was already going to be everywhere.

Not saying it's a guarantee by any means, just something noteworthy to think about.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
How did this whole thing with Incineroar start anyway? Ken I can kind of understand thanks to that fake-or-not picture, but Incineroar?

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Day 2! Today's topic is....
Imagine that Pig-beast Ganon replaced Ganondorf in Smash. How would you integrate his moveset? Would he be original, or similar to Dorf? Or would you keep Ganondorf instead?
Vergeben. He’s also the reason we talked about Ken, even before the picture leak.
Ohhh, him.

I'm really hoping he's wrong to be honest, and not just because I want Skull Kid in particular (okay that's a significant part of it, but...) Ken and Incineroar being the only two non DLC fighters left would be extremely anticlimactic and bland, as Incineroar (though I like it) isn't exactly the best Pokemon and Ken seems so generic. It would just be really anticlimatic and bland and people would go on how "Box Theory is right" and in truth I'd be really disappointed.

Last edited:
Vergeben never said that Ken and Incineroar are the last two characters though. Keep that in mind.

He said that he knows Ken and Incineroar are fighters and that he's heard of a Square Enix character that may or may not be DLC. Remember, he didn't know that K.Rool would get in, or Chrom, Dark Samus and Richter. He only knows what he's been told by his sources.

Ken and Incineroar being in doesn't equal the box theory being correct.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I've seen Incineroar compared to Chrom in terms of uniqueness and I don't really see it. Chrom was a "plain sword-user" like Marth and Ike without anything inherently unique he could bring, especially in terms of abilities, whereas Incineroar being a wrestler makes him conceptually more unique. Moveset-wise, he wouldn't be heavily similar to any one in his franchise.

And on the other hand, the box theory hinges on the idea that there is one more unique newcomer left after Isabelle, not that it is specifically Incineroar, so even if, hypothetically, Incineroar were to be disconfirmed, that doesn't mean the box theory would be disconfirmed. And this is coming from someone taking a wait-and-see approach to that theory.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben never said that Ken and Incineroar where the last two characters though. Keep that in mind.

He said that he knows Ken and Incineroar are fighters and that he's heard of a Square Enix character that may or may not be DLC. Remember, he didn't know that K.Rool would get in, or Chrom, Dark Samus and Richter. He only knows what he's been told by his sources.

Ohhh. Thanks for the clarification! I was thinking Kencineroar and The Box Theory went hand in hand here.

If that's the case, here's my hope:

This month: Skull Kid reveal, maybe Shadow as an Echo of Sonic

November: Spirits/Story Mode, and Ken, Incineroar, and maybe Geno are revealed as characters (I don't care much for Geno but I know a lot of people want him).

Honestly if that occurs I'll be happy.

(Also admittedly mainly I'm hoping for Skull Kid this month in particular for 3 reasons—Halloween, Majora's Mask US Anniversary, and the fact I'm doing a Skull Kid tribute for said anniversary and I need more clips to work with, lol)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've seen Incineroar compared to Chrom in terms of uniqueness and I don't really see it. Chrom was a "plain sword-user" like Marth and Ike without anything inherently unique he could bring, especially in terms of abilities, whereas Incineroar being a wrestler makes him conceptually more unique. Moveset-wise, he wouldn't be heavily similar to any one in his franchise.
I feel that’s personal preference.

I’m really not in either’s corner (though I’m really happy for Chrom fans since last round they got royally ****ed), but you could easily describe any character in the most basic terms.

For example: “Incineroar is just another bara brawler with fire. We already have Captain Falcon”

Yeah, they should play differently, but to someone who’s not a fan of either...they’re basically the same.

It’s also why we have arguments about whether Wolf/Fox, Lucas/Ness, and now Isabelle/Villager are fully unique versus full clones. People who don’t care about either will dismiss both as exactly the same, which they’re not. But people who can play one competently can undoubtedly play the other as well - they do share more than a few passing similarities. People who are superfans of one (particularly if they’re not a fan of the other) will act like they have absolutely nothing in common, which is also demonstrably false.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If there's a big 3rd party like Sora, Banjo or Steve in I kind of expect them to be revealed this month because next month is leak season.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
If there's a big 3rd party like Sora, Banjo or Steve in I kind of expect them to be revealed this month because next month is leak season.
If anything,I expect all characters to finally be revealed this month given next month is leak season.
the last 2.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If anything,I expect all characters to finally be revealed this month given next month is leak season.
the last 2.
This - I feel like as avoiding leaks is such a priority this time round, they'll want to do all the reveals ASAP. While they could have a Smash direct in November which didn't have any character reveals and just covered the remaining stuff (Spirits etc.), I doubt it as character reveals are what gets people talking. So we're most likely going to have the direct sometime this month - if people are disappointed with the final newcomers (which many inevitably will be), they have two months to get over it. It's not like hype is going to dry up in the space between October and December, either.

Plus, having a direct - which is going to be talked about for several weeks afterwards - in early/mid November would risk overshadowing Pokemon Lets Go, which Nintendo will be marketing like hell during that time. Late November will be too close to release and, you know, leaks. So October it (probably) is.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
This - I feel like as avoiding leaks is such a priority this time round, they'll want to do all the reveals ASAP. While they could have a Smash direct in November which didn't have any character reveals and just covered the remaining stuff (Spirits etc.), I doubt it as character reveals are what gets people talking. So we're most likely going to have the direct sometime this month - if people are disappointed with the final newcomers (which many inevitably will be), they have two months to get over it. It's not like hype is going to dry up in the space between October and December, either.

Plus, having a direct - which is going to be talked about for several weeks afterwards - in early/mid November would risk overshadowing Pokemon Lets Go, which Nintendo will be marketing like hell during that time. Late November will be too close to release and, you know, leaks. So October it (probably) is.
See, here’s the thing: Regardless of whether the box theory is true or not or whether we’ll get Geno, Bandana Dee, etc., there will inevitably be people disappointed with the roster. No matter what.
Some people will be disappointed that their character didn’t get in, but I have a feeling some people will be happy yet still say they’re disappointed because they want a reason to complain.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

Gee I hope you're right, that way we can possibly end all these theories that keep coming around.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I am also on team October direct. Both logically as well as actually wanting a direct ASAP.

It's hard because a single character trailer would basically break box theory and make more characters likely, but I want to see more of the game already!

Also speaking of more of game - why haven't :ultisabelle: or :ultsimon:/:ultrichter: gotten gameplay videos like :ultkrool: , :ultdarksamus: & :ultchrom: got? I really liked those and I'd love to see our other newcomers get some action.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait a second

I was right all along

If we get just anybody else the box theory is dead

And here’s why

If we get anybody outside ken and incineroar

Where...do...they...go on the box Especially since ken was leaked

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Leaks have seasons? What makes November good for leaks? And is it an in general thing or just cause Smash is coming out soon then?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Vergeben never said that Ken and Incineroar are the last two characters though. Keep that in mind.

Just to clarify, he hasn't heard from his sources anything about the Square Enix character potentially being DLC, that's just his own speculations about it in regards to the box theory. The only thing he's heard is that there's definitely a Square Enix newcomer in the game, so if it isn't in the base game then the logical conclusion would be that it's early DLC.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Leaks have seasons? What makes November good for leaks? And is it an in general thing or just cause Smash is coming out soon then?
It’s the month before the game comes out and that means leaks are going to sprout up like weeds. Both fake AND real.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
See, here’s the thing: Regardless of whether the box theory is true or not or whether we’ll get Geno, Bandana Dee, etc., there will inevitably be people disappointed with the roster. No matter what.
Some people will be disappointed that their character didn’t get in, but I have a feeling some people will be happy yet still say they’re disappointed because they want a reason to complain.
Eh those are the vocal minority plus it's impossible to please everyone. The devs try to hardest to please everyone and the majority of fans will still be happy even if their most wanted might miss out cause it's best to look at the positive side of things. We have a game filled in a huge amount of content that guaranteed to please a lot of people which ultimately matters in the end run.

Last edited:
If I was Sakurai I would announce the rest of the base roster characters this month in a Smash direct. Just to beat the leakers to the punch. Unless it's just Ken and Incineroar then that would be a shame....

Then in early December I would announce the first DLC character similar to Mewtwo with Smash 4 just to get some hype up before release.

Just to clarify, he hasn't heard from his sources anything about the Square Enix character potentially being DLC, that's just his own speculations about it in regards to the box theory. The only thing he's heard is that there's definitely a Square Enix newcomer in the game, so if it isn't in the base game then the logical conclusion would be that it's early DLC.
That's right, thanks for clarifying it better.

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Since Smash comes out super early in December, November will be when people start to get their hands on the game.
Reviewers and such mostly, but also potentially people who are not supposed to have access to it and would be more likely to leak.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Eh those are the vocal minority plus it's impossible to please everyone. The devs try to hardest to please everyone and the majority of fans will still be happy even if their most wanted might miss out cause it's best to look at the positive side of things. We have a game filled in a huge amount of content that guaranteed to please a lot of people.
I gotta be honest, I don’t like this thing people have where most of the ****ty people in the community are a vocal minority. Because while it’s true that they are, this could lead to it being where anyone who dares criticize the game in any fashion whatsoever will be considered a vocal minority and thus their opinion doesn’t matter.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Will the characters leak before the last announcement? I think they'll try to avoid that by showing all the characters before "leak season".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom