• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Let's play a game, imagine if Nintendo stopped making Consoles and became a third party developer (Let's hope that doesn't happen). A new Smash game is coming with a version exclusive character on the following systems:

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Who would the characters be?

Last edited:

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Not in context but Nintendo posted a picture of Waluigi doing a dance. It looks like some kid drew crayon of Waluigi. It looks cute!
Inb4 "wAlUiGi CoNfIRmEd??" Cospiracies in 3...2...1...
A little late but this definitely 100% confirmation of waluigis first game "Paper Waluigi"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let's play a game, imagine if Nintendo stopped making Consoles and became a third party developer (Let's hope that doesn't happen). A new Smash game is coming with a version exclusive character on the following systems:

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

PlayStation - Kratos from God of War
Xbox - Master Chief from Halo
Steam - Chell from Portal

But that would truly be the darkest timeline...

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Lemme be the first to say, version-exclusive characters would NEVER happen in a Smash game. They didn’t happen in Sm4sh.
But if they did, Playstation would get Kratos, Xbox would get Banjo, and Steam would get an indie character, probably Shovel Knight.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

I wouldn't mind it, since that would mean I only need to buy one console at that point. Not to mention the surreal novelty of :ultmario: showing up on the Playstation, the ambassador of Nintendo's biggest rival.

Playstation: Spike (Ape Escape)
Xbox: Master Chief
Steam: The Heavy/The Spy/The Medic

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
They're absolutely working on DLC. Don't kid yourselves
Just gonna ignore every point I made, huh? You know, if you’re gonna bait people, you need to actually say something to piss them off.
Like here, watch this:
Hey guys, Smash isn’t a fighting game and Sakurai is a hack

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Playstation =Ratchet and Clank + Metropolis stage
Xbox = Fulgore + Ultratech Industries (I would choose Banjo but that's such an easy option :p)
Steam = Heavy + 2Fort stage

osby

Smash Obsessed

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Playstation: Kat from Gravity Rush
Xbox: Banjo & Kazooie
Steam: No idea, tbh, someone from Team Fortress?

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

PlayStation: Kat from Gravity Rush
Xbox: Banjo Kazooie
Steam: Shantae

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Hack is a noun, adjective should be hacker because he hacks fan pools to show certain characters placed high and then put them into the game. Clever.
Hacker
You know who else is a hacker?
FUTABA SAKURA FOR SMASH BAYBEEEEE HERE SHE COMES

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Just gonna ignore every point I made, huh? You know, if you’re gonna bait people, you need to actually say something to piss them off.
Like here, watch this:
Hey guys, Smash isn’t a fighting game and Sakurai is a hack
Nah, it's not bait, it's more the current climate of game development means there's been at least some early work done on a few DLC characters.
Hacker
You know who else is a hacker?
FUTABA SAKURA FOR SMASH BAYBEEEEE HERE SHE COMES
Futaba leaks everyone's nudes

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, looks like I've missed a lot here.

Anyway, I definitely think that DLC for Ultimate will have a good amount of third-party characters just like the previous game.

Consider the following:
1. The game's marketing dropped the Nintendo All-Stars premise to a broader premise of gaming icons. Third-parties are no longer special guests but simply a part of what Smash is. This is logical as with Ultimate, there will be more Smash Bros. games with third-party characters than those without.
2. Unlike Brawl and mostly Smash 3DS/Wii U, third-party content is no longer restricted by the playable guests.
- Brawl only had content from the Metal Gear and Sonic franchises.
- Smash 3DS/Wii U mainly focused on Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy VII and Bayonetta outside of a few music tracks, items and cameos related to Namco arcade games (thus heavily tied to Pac-Man's inclusion) and a tiny bunch of trophies from Rayman and the CommanderVideo trophy.
- Ultimate, on the other hand, has Bomberman, Shovel Knight and Rathalos as Assist Trophies with Rathalos also being a boss on what appears to be a Monster Hunter boss-exclusive stage and even music from the series. Likewise, Castlevania has two playable characters, a first for the Smash series.

In other words, Smash Bros. has moved past being a Nintendo crossover. It's a gaming crossover. Of course, the IP still belongs to Nintendo and Nintendo content is still the vast majority of the content in the game. This is for various reasons:
1. It's easy to work the rights of all these characters than negotiating with other companies, and Nintendo publishes the game.
2. Because all previous games still had a primary focus on Nintendo, every character and almost every stage returning inevitably leads to the game still retaining the Nintendo focus, but that feels more of a consequence of the past games' focus rather than something as deliberate for this game.

If you were to list all of the third-party franchises included in Ultimate, this is what it looks like:
- Metal Gear
- Sonic
- Mega Man
- Pac-Man
- Street Fighter
- Final Fantasy
- Bayonetta
- Castlevania
- Various Bandai Namco arcade franchises (such as Galaga)
- Bomberman
- Shovel Knight
- Monster Hunter

Putting things in perspective, that's an amount of franchises bigger than the amount of franchises in the first Smash game. You can have an 8 player battle with no repeating characters and all of them not being from Nintendo (just pick 8 out of the 9 third party characters currently confirmed for Ultimate).

Long story short, Smash isn't just about Nintendo anymore even if it still majorly draws from Nintendo's repertoire of IPs.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Here's Mine, In case you were curious:
Playstation: Parappa the Rapper
Xbox: Steve
Steam: Gordon Freeman
Ummm... I have questions...

Pakky

Smash Hero

Playstation
Xbox
Steam

Playstation: Lara, she's paid her dues though if not her Spyro or Sly

Xbox: Conker

Steam: The Heavy

Last edited:

LaxChris

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm LaxChris and I run a channel on youtube. I found a pretty interesting leak on 4chan that I for some reason feel could actually happen, it would be mighty cool if you all took a look before my video finishes rendering

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I'm LaxChris and I run a channel on youtube. I found a pretty interesting leak on 4chan that I for some reason feel could actually happen, it would be mighty cool if you all took a look before my video finishes rendering
Hi I know you.

Sorry to say but spot 68 has been taken. But perhaps that was an honest mistake.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Besides the number error, something about day one dlc doesn’t seem right...kinda untrusting

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
User has been warned for this post - Flaming
Is it really you?
If so, then on behalf of everyone, **** off and go back to making clickbait.
If not, good one I had a laugh.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey man, I love fake clickbait leaks. WiiUGamer12's excited declaration that "Karuto" is coming to Smash was the highlight of my week.

Plus, Jibanyan is a pick a lot of the bubble have been sleeping on, so, maybe. I don't think I trust Day One DLC though...doesn't seem to be right.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Now,now don't be rude, this shouldn't be our way.
The guy makes clickbait videos of whatever leak he finds on 4chan no matter how ridiculous they are.
I suppose I shouldn’t be so rude, though, even if it is towards someone like LaxChris.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Maybe she can finally get a chance, since the "Triforce" is complete to start with this time.

:ultganondorf:
:ultzelda::ultsheik:
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

Edit: For some reason, the post doesn't neatly arrange the icons into a triangle, oh well.
Well, they're in a right triangle so they kinda did if that helps. :)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe she can finally get a chance, since the "Triforce" is complete to start with this time.

:ultganondorf:
:ultzelda::ultsheik:
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

Edit: For some reason, the post doesn't neatly arrange the icons into a triangle, oh well.
I desperately want a new Zelda character, if only to prove that this stupid "only the Triforce" fan rule is and always was meaningless. I don't know what Sakurai's reasoning was for not including Midna or Tingle sooner, but I doubt it had anything to do with their lack of association with the Triforce.

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
Is it really you?
If so, then on behalf of everyone, **** off and go back to making clickbait.
If not, good one I had a laugh.
Hey calm down.. yeah he makes clickbait vids, but that's no reason to act that way. That's just toxic.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Come on. Let's not kid ourselves, the main development for Ultimate is probably done and they're in Debugging/Polishing/ last-minute balance part of the development...

At the very least, a tiny team is working on the roadplan for DLC, thinking otherwise is really being childish and eating PR's word.

At worst DLC already entered full development, especially if that Square-Enix Character is DLC.

Maybe not Day1 but still in active development.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I desperately want a new Zelda character, if only to prove that this stupid "only the Triforce" fan rule is and always was meaningless. I don't know what Sakurai's reasoning was for not including Midna or Tingle sooner, but I doubt it had anything to do with their lack of association with the Triforce.
Maybe it was them being NPCs with one appearence, at least for characters like Midna or Skull Kid. Tingle... well, that should be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom