• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why is Sheik referenced as a male on the Smashbros.com website?? It's kinda disturbing...
I believe the consensus is "today's Smash site interns are not as informed as one would think".

Style Savvy would be dope, not just for the creativity and branching out of IPs but because the people who are insecure about their masculinity will whine like they did with Isabelle
Personally, I would prefer Cooking Mama for that purpose.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
As a fan of Nick, there's just no way he has the same amount of moveset potential as a guy who has a million billion weapons and fighting styles
Oh, I wasn't claiming that. I was making my case that he'd be the one who's more capable of surprise factor and actual shocking. Sure, Dante has all that, but Phoenix has the nack for turning tables in so many creative ways. I mean, yes Dante has more moveset potential, but that doesn't mean his moves would be the most exciting for someone who can literally do ANYTHING.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This user's right, considering...

https://www.deviantart.com/keyblademagicdan/art/The-Problems-with-Super-Smash-Bros-Fanbase-494882994

The site even has a "What's with the Smash fanbase?" tag on it somewhere.
The problem with this is that it's doing what everyone who complains about fanbases does: assuming that the fans who complain about one thing and the fans who complain about the opposite thing are the same people; and/or that the vocal minority represents the opinions of the entire fanbase.

It's almost like there are millions of fans and they all have different preferences or something.

link2702

Smash Champion
I thought for sure we might hear something about a direct by now due to the website changes....have they mentioned anything yet and I just missed it?

D

Deleted member

When you think about it, these Pokémon sprites would have been perfect in a core version of the first generation of Pokémon released on the SNES.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I like how we can tell who hasn't played Melee, Brawl, OoT and Hyrule Warriors because "Whaaaa why does it say Sheik is a guy?" like. You KNOW she's disguised right?
Oh, I wasn't claiming that. I was making my case that he'd be the one who's more capable of surprise factor and actual shocking. Sure, Dante has all that, but Phoenix has the nack for turning tables in so many creative ways. I mean, yes Dante has more moveset potential, but that doesn't mean his moves would be the most exciting for someone who can literally do ANYTHING.
no he has a nack for turning courtrooms

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I completely agree. I really want Rayman playable, BUT if AT is the best he gets in Sakurais eyes then I wouldn't be too upset.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I would hate if all the Geno hype was just a smokescreen created by Square to hide their true rep.

Hopefully if he somehow doesn't get in the game, he ends up as DLC because of the hype
SE hasn't created geno hype. they themselves have been silent fans have created hype for geno. let's not get that confused. gneo has been in no way acknowledged by SE.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
It's very silly to act like the Smash fanbase is somehow different or worse than other fanbases. Most people who point out the dumb stuff are looking at posts from kids ranging from 12-17, and who represent less than 25% of the Smash community as a whole. They just happen to be the ones without jobs so they post the most. We're just like any other fanbase. In fact, most of us are part of other fanbases too. It's not like we're this separate entity. Gamers are nerdy people who really care about the games they play. Some take it too far and end up making their compatriots look bad, but they don't even represent half of the community as a whole. Acting like the entire community has the same views is ill advised, if not intentionally dishonest.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Has there ever been a case with ultimate or smash 4 where the new tag disappeared and there wasn't an announcement soon after?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Why is Sheik referenced as a male on the Smashbros.com website?? It's kinda disturbing...
It's not worth looking into much. The twitter post refers to them as she again.

Interestingly, Dark Samus similarly was referred to as "it" at first, but since then the blog post has been updated to say "she."

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Has there ever been a case with ultimate or smash 4 where the new tag disappeared and there wasn't an announcement soon after?
As of this point, no (in the case of Ultimate). Within a couple weeks after the new disappearing, we've gotten a character reveal. Trends can change, but this one hasn't been broken yet. Smash 4's reveals were more spaced out, so I'm not sure if that situation is comparable.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I read this as Shrek and never have I ever jumped thoughts so fast. "Because he is male?" To "WAIT SHREK IS ON THE SMASHBROS SITE?!" in less than .01 seconds.
Shrek is one of the few fictional characters ti be on the Hollywood walk of fame, proving he is a true icon.

Shrek 5 will release next year.

2019 is also the 20th anniversary of Smash itself.

Surely, Sakurai will celebrate 2 decades of Smash by including one of the world most iconic characters, who was incredibly popular in the ballot to boot. It will also tie in with the new movie. Shrek will take ogre Samsh as DLC and make it truly Ultimate. :upsidedown:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m getting mixed info from what i’ve read, but do we know how many videos were added to the YouTube playlist for fighters?

If it’s only 1 then I can see it being a standalone reveal, but if more than one i’m definitely leaning toward another Direct.

D

Deleted member

So how would you guys feel if the final newcomer base roster for Ultimate looked something like this?

:ultdaisy:
:ultridley:
:ultsimon:
:ultrichter:
:ultchrom:
:ultdarksamus:
:ultkrool:
:ultisabelle:
(Incineroar)
(Ken)
(Isaac)
(Dante)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Why does no one talk about Eggman?

Its always "He's likely to be a boss..." and that's the end of the discussion.

I find him fascinating. He doesn't even need to be in a vehicle or anything like that due to multiple feats of athleticism while being out of one.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So how would you guys feel if the final newcomer base roster for Ultimate looked something like this?

(Incineroar)
(Ken)
(Isaac)
(Dante)
It has Isabelle and Dante so I'm content. Isaac, Chrom and Richter are also cool.

RIDLEY was probably more of a demanding character then K rool
In all honesty he seemed impossible to be a character because of his size which is something fans considering was the case until he was announced.
Super late reply but: K.Rool actually had a big fan demand outside of US.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

(Incineroar)
(Ken)
(Isaac)
(Dante)
I would be cool with it. I have one question though:

Why is Dante getting so much attention nowadays?

I admit, it would be pretty cool to see him in Smash, but what's the reason for his boost in speculation?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Shrek is one of the few fictional characters ti be on the Hollywood walk of fame, proving he is a true icon.

Shrek 5 will release next year.

2019 is also the 20th anniversary of Smash itself.

Surely, Sakurai will celebrate 2 decades of Smash by including one of the world most iconic characters, who was incredibly popular in the ballot to boot. It will also tie in with the new movie. Shrek will take ogre Samsh as DLC and make it truly Ultimate. :upsidedown:
Correct me If I'm wrong, but pretty sure Shrek 5 is currently on hold...

(Incineroar)
(Ken)
(Isaac)
(Dante)
Not crazy about Dante, but other that... Yeah...
Althouh, the lack of RH upsets me

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I’m getting mixed info from what i’ve read, but do we know how many videos were added to the YouTube playlist for fighters?

If it’s only 1 then I can see it being a standalone reveal, but if more than one i’m definitely leaning toward another Direct.
From how I understand (I'm not able to locate the playlist on my own and have only seen it when someone links it) we can't see if any videos have been added or anything like that. It just shows the playlist was updated 3 days ago, and yet none of the videos have been updated (they still have their initial dates on them). So really this is just basing it on past patterns of this leading to a reveal in 1-2 weeks.

As far as I know there is no way to know how many videos were added. Because agreed more than 2, even more than 1, would scream direct to me.

(Incineroar)
(Ken)
(Isaac)
(Dante)
Due to the already known newcomers and all veterans absolutely amazing and no complaints. However besides the new Pokemon maybe being exciting, the rest of the unrevealed newcomers don't intrest me much. I am preparing for a similar outcome though.

D

Deleted member

I admit, it would be pretty cool to see him in Smash, but what's the reason for his boost in speculation?
I guess it had something to do with Veggie stated that he would be revealed in November. But I'd like to see him because I legitimately think he would be awesome in Smash.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I guess it had something to do with Veggie stated that he would be revealed in November. But I'd like to see him because i legitimately think he would be awesome in Smash.
Unless veggie is a name for another leaker, Vergeben has said nothing about Dante.

That was an anonymous leaker who mentioned Dante and honestly isn't as credible as some make out to be.

(If Veggie is reffering to the anonymous leaker than whoops my apologies)

osby

Smash Obsessed

I find him fascinating. He doesn't even need to be in a vehicle or anything like that due to multiple feats of athleticism while being out of one.
Because he's not super popular compared to, say, Shadow. He also can't be a clone unlike Shadow. People think he hasn't much chance and honestly, he doesn't really come second in most Sonic games.

D

Deleted member

Unless veggie is a name for another leaker, Vergeben has said nothing about Dante.

That was an anonymous leaker who mentioned Dante and honestly isn't as credible as some make out to be.

(If Veggie is reffering to the anonymous leaker than whoops my apologies)
Oh! Whoops my bad! Veggie is referring Vergeben. I don't know why I kept calling him that XD! Well, I though it was him that said that, but oh well. Thanks for the correction, both for the name and the information.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

A DMCV leaker on 4chan who ended up getting quite a lot right claimed some other stuff including Dante in Smash. Similar to how Skull Kid got a large boost when Loz claimed he was in

D

Deleted member

Why would Wonderful101's music be tied to Super Mario stages?
Because unrepped series are kinda in a weird spot right now that music is tied to franchises. Where exactly do you put all music that's classified as Other? For something like "The Valedictory Elegy" can just go back to Gaur Plains since it was only one song from the franchise but Golden Sun and TW101 both had two songs split across different stages(Norfair and Palutena's Temple, and Mario Galaxy and Pilotwings, respectively). I just hope it doesn't become reason to cut them altogether
And I know that whenever me and my friends play on Norfair and someone asks for something other than Magmoor Caverns/Lower Norfair/Torrid Zone they won't be my friends anymore
>Not listening to the ending theme of Super Metroid
>Or that one kickass Golden Sun song
Get out Gwen
It's very silly to act like the Smash fanbase is somehow different or worse than other fanbases. Most people who point out the dumb stuff are looking at posts from kids ranging from 12-17, and who represent less than 25% of the Smash community as a whole. They just happen to be the ones without jobs so they post the most. We're just like any other fanbase. In fact, most of us are part of other fanbases too. It's not like we're this separate entity. Gamers are nerdy people who really care about the games they play. Some take it too far and end up making their compatriots look bad, but they don't even represent half of the community as a whole. Acting like the entire community has the same views is ill advised, if not intentionally dishonest.
*Looks at the reactions to the final rosters and the Corrin+Bayo reveals*
*Looks at the reaction to the confirmation of some assists*
*Looks at the competitive community*
Hahaha yeah, no. To say this fanbase is the same as any other is an offense to most of them.
Most fanbases don't throw hissyfits and send death threats over their character not being in a game. And most fanbases don't defend convicted criminals and allow them to play in their tournaments. And that's not even all the toxic **** that comes out of here.
Acting like it's not a big part of this community that acts and behaves this way is just being ignorant.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

In comparison to the two other main Sonic rep frontrunners, Shadow and Tails, Eggman definitely falls short in the popularity department.

Both have also been represented in Smash before with Shadow as an Assist and Tails as a Mii costume.

For that last point, the same could also be applied to Bowser Jr, yet in the end, the majority of his moves are based on his Koopa Clown Car.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because unrepped series are kinda in a weird spot right now that music is tied to franchises. Where exactly do you put all music that's classified as Other? For something like "The Valedictory Elegy" can just go back to Gaur Plains since it was only one song from the franchise but Golden Sun and TW101 both had two songs split across different stages(Norfair and Palutena's Temple, and Mario Galaxy and Pilotwings, respectively). I just hope it doesn't become reason to cut them altogether

>Not listening to the ending theme of Super Metroid
>Or that one kickass Golden Sun song
Get out Gwen

*Looks at the reactions to the final rosters and the Corrin+Bayo reveals*
*Looks at the reaction to the confirmation of some assists*
*Looks at the competitive community*
Hahaha yeah, no. To say this fanbase is the same as any other is an offense to most of them.
Most fanbases don't throw hissyfits and send death threats over their character not being in a game. And most fanbases don't defend convicted criminals and allow them to play in their tournaments. And that's not even all the toxic **** that comes out of here.
Acting like it's not a big part of this community that acts and behaves this way is just being ignorant.
We aren't friends anymore.
ALSO HAVE YOU EVER ****ING HEARD MAGMOOR CAVERNS?
ALSO ALSO COROCORO SAID 108 CLEARLY WE'RE GETTING THE VENUS LIGHTHOUSE FOR WHERE THE GOLDEN SUN TRACKS GO

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

(Incineroar)
(Ken)
(Isaac)
(Dante)
I would not be happy about the last 3, and the lack of Medusa and/or Phosphora would be troubling... well, more-so Medusa over Phosphora as I like Phosphora a lot, but considering Medusa's status and own iconic ways, her missing out would make me sad.
I do sound like a broken record on this, but then again, this place is also a broken record when it comes to character this and that... though I admit the long wait can be a trouble of its own, unless we had the Power of Patience.

Short version: High disappointment, though I can accept some characters, especially K.Rool (I occasionally am still bitter about Chrom).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom