• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
The devs honestly should just stop trying. Every Smash game gets leaked no matter what. No. Matter. What.
I'd argue if they manage to keep it to text leaks only, AND not have the entire roster spoiled like back in Brawl then they did a decent job this time around. It's incredibly difficult to stop leaks from happening in a game that involves this many people, this many companies.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
The Box Theory has, in all seriousness, completely wrecked the hype train to a state that can only be repaired if it's proven false.

The devs honestly should just stop trying. Every Smash game gets leaked no matter what. No. Matter. What.
I really agree with all youve said so far, in this modern era avoiding leaks is impossible. Every single fighting game in recent memory has had leaks. Even sf 5 season pass characters were leaked to the point that capcom had to just announce them early and space them between months. Even the newest soul calibur announced everything so the leaks were not harmful. Better have the own developer announce everythiing with bells and whistles rather than waitiing for the inevitable ****ty leaks.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So in my previous post I should've said "or maybe it's only 2" while noting it could be more, as I goofed and was thinking of reveal trailers and not the character gameplay trailers themselves :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The one certainty around here is, I don't believe in leakers.

All the kids want to Main Stanley from Donkey Kong 3. Clearly him will be the main character everyone of us has been waiting for.
Fixed for you. I don't care for Kiddy, but am all for Stanley. :awesome:

You have the correct attitude. Six months ago, who would have guessed that we would get Ridley and Castlevania content? Every single character returning? Ridley and K. Rool were the two most wanted characters for over 10 years. The roster's distribution so far is evenly spread across the past and the present (three made their debut in the 1980's, two in 1990's, one in the 2000s, three in 2010's). Even among the traditional whines ("we need more villains and females"), this roster has given us a lot. We got four female newcomers so far (Inkling, Isabelle, Daisy, and Dark Samus) and three villains so far (Ridley, K. Rool, and Dark Samus), which for females is more than every Smash game except for 4 and for villains more than every game except maybe Brawl (depends on which of Wario, Wolf, Meta Knight, and King Dedede you count as villains or not).

There is really no single character for anyone to point to as an "injustice" for he/she/it not making the base roster (there are no characters left that were on par with Ridley and K. Rool in terms of requests, and no cuts this time for people to be upset about). Sure there are characters that definitely deserved to be in, but there is no consensus this time as there was with Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. We also flat out know most likely DLC is coming, so the bitterness about the base roster possibly having very few newcomers left does not make much sense (you will simply have to wait past release date for prospective additional newcomers).

What is the issue with this roster aside from there being less newcomers in comparison to Smash 4 and Brawl (which Sakurai warned us about since E3)?

This is easily the best roster to date. We even got many surprises with this roster. Who saw Ridley coming after Sakurai said he was too big? Who saw Simon Belmont coming (before Vergeben)? Who saw Daisy coming over Toad, Captain Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Geno? Who saw Dark Samus coming (before echoes were known)? Who saw Chrom coming after Smash 4 mocked the character multiple times (again before echoes were unveiled)? Who saw Richter coming even after Simon was "leaked"?

We got a very good mix of characters people wanted and pleasant surprises. For a roster that might have less newcomers than Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, Sakurai could very well have done the best he could have done with the time and slots he had available.
I simply think the limited newcomer thing would have blown over better with people if Sakurai came out and said "there's X amount of characters left in the base to reveal" instead of being vague about it.

That being said, it certainly is the most high-quality base roster in years, especially coming off shortly after 4's divisive one. It's a dream team that can only get bigger after launch, and it's going to feel so good.

Has anyone noticed that Japanese fighter playlist has been updated two days ago?
Apparently, and I haven't seen anyone post visual proof of it so far.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd argue if they manage to keep it to text leaks only, AND not have the entire roster spoiled like back in Brawl then they did a decent job this time around. It's incredibly difficult to stop leaks from happening in a game that involves this many people, this many companies.
I really agree with all youve said so far, in this modern era avoiding leaks is impossible. Every single fighting game in recent memory has had leaks. Even sf 5 season pass characters were leaked to the point that capcom had to just announce them early and space them between months. Even the newest soul calibur announced everything so the leaks were not harmful. Better have the own developer announce everythiing with bells and whistles rather wait for the inevitable ****ty leaks.
Even if you can't stop the leaks, you can still hold them back as much as possible, as long as possible. Keep them small, keep them late.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can anyone take a screen cap of the playlist and point out what we’re supposed to notice?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I hope we really do get something in the next ten days.
It'd be nice to have something new to talk about.

Especially if it's wrestlemania kitty.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if you can't stop the leaks, you can still hold them back as much as possible, as long as possible. Keep them small, keep them late.
This reminds me, have indie games ever been leaked, Kickstarter or otherwise? If they aren't, they're doing a good job of preventing that, considering how people get annoyed waiting for them to be finished.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
The Box Theory has, in all seriousness, completely wrecked the hype train to a state that can only be repaired if it's proven false.

>Box theory wrecks the hype train

Really, dude? You must be ****ing delusional there. You seriously want it to be false, and some of us do because box theory honestly sounds like bull**** and built on everyone's speculations AND it almost makes Vergeben's leaks sounds like it was true UNTIL steve and mysterious Square Enix character was implicated by him too. So that's 4 characters in vergeben's leaks, and if mysterious square enix rep can be counted as DLC but we hasn't heard anything about DLC. So, just wait and see.

And about "dev should just stop trying", Sakurai was planning to reveal the whole roster BEFORE all official leaks do.

Daisy didn't revealed alongside with other echo fighters.
Does daisy getting revealed as new echo fighter after Lucina and Dark Pit were revealed to be called echo fighters instead of clone count? Yes, it does.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Can anyone take a screen cap of the playlist and point out what we’re supposed to notice?
The playlist just says it was updated two days ago but there are no new videos or changes to it, which suggests an unlisted video was added to it. The same thing happened before Isabelle's reveal and before the August 8th direct.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The playlist says it was updated two days ago, and there's an "Unlisted" tag which was pointed out on GameFaqs (though I just realized this is probably because of the playlist's settings or something? or maybe it is some hidden videos?).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You'll get Xenoblade Chronicles Medley Ver.2 and you'll like it! It cuts from Gaur Plains to You Will Know Our Names midway. The songs aren't actually remixed but rather just pasted together.
This actually is the worst timeline, yet also realistic one. This is why God has forsaken us.

Untouch

Smash Master
The playlist says it was updated two days ago, and there's an "Unlisted" tag which was pointed out on GameFaqs (though I just realized this is probably because of the playlist's settings or something?).
All the videos on there are unlisted.
I don't think there's a way to make videos not show up in playlists, even private videos show up.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
4chan is under a massive DDOS attack right now or is being targeted by law enforcement (CIA/FBI), don't know when it will be back up but there's tons of strange things happening today that started this Morning. I doubt we'll see any major leaks or news coming from anonymous today.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope we really do get something in the next ten days.
It'd be nice to have something new to talk about.

Especially if it's wrestlemania kitty.
If not, I'll just play games until something positive happens for this nuthouse.

Because leaks are just a myth, right? No one in history has ever leaked information to the public.
I mean the current leakers. Back in my day, Smash leaks were factual, no pussyfooting around, no puzzles, just matter of fact screenshots.

Same, I don't believe in leaks until proven otherwise.
Preach it. :shades:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally, I don't think Ken will share a trailer with Incinaroar but I can see it happening. Maybe Lucina style where it opens with Ken KO-ing Little Mac and the Next Challenger is...

D

Deleted member

This actually is the worst timeline, yet also realistic one. This is why God has forsaken us.
My theory is that the Xenoblade Chronicles Medley was originally supposed to be two separate remixes of Engage the Enemy and Gaur Plain. These songs were unfinished, and they were Frankensteined into the Xenoblade Medley so that they wouldn't go to waste. I have no evidence to support this, and the only reason I believe it is because those portions of the medley are great, and I wish they were full remixes.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
4chan is under a massive DDOS attack right now or is being targeted by law enforcement (CIA/FBI), don't know when it will be back up but there's tons of strange things happening today that started this Morning. I doubt we'll see any major leaks or news coming from anonymous today.
Oh wow didnt know this, what the hell happened?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Daisy didn't revealed alongside with other echo fighters.
Well Daisy was revealed alongside the whole idea of Echo fighters (and DP & Lucy getting the term). If that pattern holds, we could get three more Echos :)

Nintendo Law Ninja attack?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Xenoblade better have some full remixes this time around.

I love You Will Know Our Names, but I've literally heard it for over a decade now.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
I would like for some resident cyborg ninja to hunt down the freshly minted URL of these unlisted videos, rip it, and upload it to some site like imgur just to see the utter destruction.

If people can crunch numbers on blog post XML data there has to be someone who will go the extra mile.
Not happening YouTube is very serious about unlisted and private videos. All exploits involving private videos have been corrected.

D

Deleted member

My theory is that the Xenoblade Chronicles Medley was originally supposed to be two separate remixes of Engage the Enemy and Gaur Plain. These songs were unfinished, and they were Frankensteined into the Xenoblade Medley so that they wouldn't go to waste. I have no evidence to support this, and the only reason I believe it is because those portions of the medley are great, and I wish they were full remixes.
That actually makes sense and to be honest, the should've just separated them anyways. They kinda downplayed what ACE+ can really do, which is why I hope to GOD they get their due this time around for Ultimate, aside from that godlike DKC remix.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Well Daisy was revealed alongside the whole idea of Echo fighters (and DP & Lucy getting the term). If that pattern holds, we could get three more Echos :)

Nintendo Law Ninja attack?
/Pol/ is hit the hardest, and was the first targeted, I'd guess it's political, or just a 400 lb man in his basement trying to use the entire site to mine cryptocurrency based on the bizarre code that was injected into the site. If you've ever been to /pol/ you know they dig up things people don't want getting out, so there's motivation there, but /v/ is affected just the same. I just would recommend not going there in case someone is infecting your device.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Technically she was with Lucina and Dark Pit. Yes, they weren't new, but there was no guarantee they would even return before E3.
Does daisy getting revealed as new echo fighter after Lucina and Dark Pit were revealed to be called echo fighters instead of clone count? Yes, it does.
Guys, okay, thanks, I think I get it.

D

Deleted member

Guys, okay, thanks, I think I get it.
Did you know Daisy was revealed when Dark Pit and Lucina were first called Echo Fighters?

:4pacman:

I'm so sorry, people are going to be saying this for the next five pages.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
This is Tower of Smash "there are unrevealed characters if you link the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash Bros" level of mental gymnastics right here. Sakurai said we'd get every newcomer before release, and I highly doubt that when he said it he meant "we'll save a couple of characters until after we tell you we've revealed the full roster and put it in promotional material."

If Incineroar and Ken is all we get, any character after that is going to be DLC.

She technically got revealed alongside Dark Pit and Lucina, who were reclassed as echo fighters.

sorry if i wasnt clear, i dont think sakurai would tell us that this is the "full roster" here in october, revealing ken/incineroar... and then spring surprise characters on us. im not saying that at all.

what i meant was that IF we are getting a direct or some form of smash news very soon and that news has Ken/Incineroar then i think its awfully early to give us the FULL roster. i'm not implying sakurai would try to "fake" us out and trick us into thinking ken and incineroar is the full roster, that hypothetical october direct would have him beng honest and telling us theres a bit more to reveal.

what im saying is that if we get a direct announcement soon (which we now have reason to believe we might) i could see WHY the box ends at ken/incineroar. its not because those are the final two its because the box needs to get printed and this is the final character count at the time of the boxes printing. its always been planned this way so yes box theory is true but its not the final game roster thats on the box, just the full roster at the time the boxes are going into printing (mid october).

sakurai isnt trying to trick us or something its just that these things NEED to go into printing with enough time to physically create them and distribute them and so the box image we've seen IS indeed aware of ken and incineroar and it will infact only have up until them printed on it but that we will get a bit more characters shown in november, but they wont be on the boxes.

basically theres no way sakurai can hide newcomers (and i mean hide them with the intention of revealing them in november) for late reveals if they end up on the box/promotional material because they would end up in so many peoples hands that theyd get found out about (because these things cant be made the final week in november, they have to be printed a month or so in advance of course).

So all i was saying was that IF ken and incineroar are intended to be shown very soon, i can actually see a lot of merit to the box simply being fit for THIS point and time because thats a good amount of time to print stuff NOT because its the final roster in the game...

if however we dont hear about ken and incineroar until november then i think they are likely to be the final characters and the box does indeed have everyone on it and was intended to all along (barring like a special case right before release square dlc character reveal or something).

its just that i never thought we'd get ken and incineroar shown as early as say for example, next week, but now that that is a possibility suddenly having the box have the character reveals up until only "mid october" makes sense cause they have to print them around then. before i wasnt considering getting these characters shown SO early before the games release, so box theory made sense to be the final roster, but i just think its unlikely two months before release we'd have the full roster (kills hype for too long, i could see a month before but not two). so again its all about when we might get smash news shown in my opinion on whether or not the box theory is just for when the boxes are being printed or if its also the full roster shown on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom