• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Once again, I'd like to say: The reason people are panicking over the prospect that the box/card theory might be true is because they think, quite foolishly I might add, that this is the last Smash game.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This Smash speculation period shall go down in history as "The Time Smash Fans Went to War Over a Digitally Mocked-Up Cardboard Box".

I'm excited for the movie adaptation, but will it be as good as the book?

Meanwhile I'm sitting in the corner here waiting for my Spirits reveal and whether or not Break the Targets is back...Please Sakurai, I want fun single player stuff again. ; - ;
It will be coming out the same summer as "The Great Emu War of 1932" surely major blockbusters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Once again, I'd like to say: The reason people are panicking over the prospect that the box/card theory might be true is because they think, quite foolishly I might add, that this is the last Smash game.
Well, Sakurai did say he'll keep on making Smash games as long as there's demand for them, so he's pretty much married to this job.

I just hope with SMTV in the horizon, he'll consider franchise representation in Smash 6.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I... have a hard time believing that.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I haven’t heard anyone say that, especially considering Sakurai, hard as he works, has stated he will continue making Smash as long as there is demand for it.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I haven’t heard anyone say that, especially considering Sakurai, hard as he works, has stated he will continue making Smash as long as there is demand for it.
To be fair Sakurai is infamous for saying this is my last Smash game, but he is to passionate to give up this franchise

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I... have a hard time believing that.
People still seem to think Ultimate is the grand finale of Smash Bros., despite Sakurai saying otherwise. In fact, people seem to legitimately be hoping it is and that Sakurai will retire after the game is released.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
People still seem to think Ultimate is the grand finale of Smash Bros., despite Sakurai saying otherwise. In fact, people seem to legitimately be hoping it is and that Sakurai will retire after the game is released.
Well, we're hoping he takes a long break, not a full retirement.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I've seen a lot of people say that..
Even so:

a) There’s no way to prove that this is the last Smash, it’s a huge moneymaker for Nintendo and they’re highly unlikely to drop it with or without Sakurai.
b) DLC support is likely to continue for quite a while, so even if your favourite character isn’t in the game on Dec.7 you still have a chance.
c) Be patient and don’t act like everything is full of doom and gloom when you’re getting a 70+ character, 100+ stage game for MSRP.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'd love to know where you're seeing people talk about this.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean, if people are saying this then that's one thing, but I fail to see the correlation between that and the box/card theory.

I'd imagine people are more worried about their requests not making the base roster rather than whether or not there will be another game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Technically she was with Lucina and Dark Pit. Yes, they weren't new, but there was no guarantee they would even return before E3.
Dark Pit had a slightly higher chance than most clones to get in due to Sakurai love (and no bias)
Did you know Daisy was revealed when Dark Pit and Lucina were first called Echo Fighters?

:4pacman:

I'm so sorry, people are going to be saying this for the next five pages.
And Daisy is also the 2nd best Mario Woman to not need a crown to become a woman (Pauline number 1)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This Smash speculation period shall go down in history as "The Time Smash Fans Went to War Over a Digitally Mocked-Up Cardboard Box".

I'm excited for the movie adaptation, but will it be as good as the book?

Meanwhile I'm sitting in the corner here waiting for my Spirits reveal and whether or not Break the Targets is back...Please Sakurai, I want fun single player stuff again. ; - ;
The movie already exists, it's called Se7en...
Xenoblade better have some full remixes this time around.

I love You Will Know Our Names, but I've literally heard it for over a decade now.
How have you heard it for over a decade when Xenoblade has only been around for 8 years?

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Good lord what´s going on, gamefaqs is going on a rampage of new posts, this thread is moving lightspeed, resetera as well. Did the card thing made all this huge cluster****?

D

Deleted member

Sakurai also stated to not expect too many newcomers but it's not like people are listening to that.

The Tower of Smash is a perfect comparison to what's going on right now, 3DS version was out and Sakurai said there would be no characters exclusive to one version, yet people still believed it.
Now we have Sakurai saying "don't expect too many newcomers" and "all fighters will be revealed before launch", two pieces of promotional material pointing to only two more characters and a credible leak that points in the same direction yet people still call it bull****, deny Verg despite all of the stuff he got right, think Sakurai is trolling us, and make conspiracy theories that there are going to be secret characters not used in promotional material and we should expect at least 5 more characters.

All the signs are here shouting with a big flashing red "THIS IS IT" so when the inevitable happens, most of this thread will still act like it's a surprise and go into salt mode.
I said this nefore but I'll say it again: if you think the Box/Card theory is wrong and are calling it "bull**** without actual evidence", you'll have no right to complain when Incineroar is revealed and Sakurai goes "that's all folks!".

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Have you seen other echo fighters reveal like, Chorm and Dark Samus were revealed in one move? Yeah, if we believe that Ken would be revealed as new echo fighter among unknown echo fighters. There's no reason that Ken could be unique fighter, save for isabelle because she was changed from echo to semi clone of villager, basically making her unqiue.

Potato_

Smash Lord
So what's new here?
Possible announcement on the way (japanese playlist for Smash got updated 2 days ago, same way it did for Isabelle and the August direct)

And people are freaking out because another promotional art piece for the game has two empty slots, making people think it's in support of Box Theory.

The Japanese on it however does say "Placeholder" so take from that what you will.

Chrono.

Box Theory 2.0
Possible announcement on the way (japanese playlist for Smash got updated 2 days ago, same way it did for Isabelle and the August direct)

And people are freaking out because another promotional art piece for the game has two empty slots, making people think it's in support of Box Theory.

The Japanese on it however does say "Placeholder" so take from that what you will.
May I see the new promo art?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
From what I seen, if there is indeed another reveal(1 newcomer 1 echo) coming soon, then that would actually kill the box/card theory considering that is unlikely for there not to be another Smash Direct before release.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Box theory or no, I don't think this card was meant to be representative of the final roster in any way. Like, I'm a believer in box theory and this card just don't hold up to the same scrutiny.

The reason I think concealing characters the way they do on the box works is because right now that box only exists as a digital promotional image. You can throw a black box over some characters and then just remove it when you go to print the final product. But that doesn't work for this card, because this card is already printed and out in the world. You can't un-hide characters on that afterwards, unless we expect they're going to send out new prints of it and ask every retailer to take down their old ones. It just doesn't seem practical from a physical workload perspective.

On top of that, there's Ken. In the box theory, Ken would be on the opposite side of the box and therefore they don't need to rearrange anyone to hide him, but on this printout the blank space that would be reserved for him is to Ryu's left, not to his right where echoes would usually be. I don't really doubt that this is a real piece of promo material, but in my opinion it's not meant to convey what the full, final roster of the game is given the design that's currently on the card works perfectly for the currently revealed roster, symmetry included.

Chrono.

https://i.imgtc.com/hKRwiME.jpg

Won't work as an image so here's a link.
https://mobile.twitter.com/eating_nitro/status/1047068327699537921?s=19

Now, I don’t know if it’s of any significance, but some fighters are repeated in both panes, like Mario’s in the top pane and the bottom, like Pikachu, Marth, Bayonetta and Snake. Again I don’t think it really means anything in the long run though
I think it does.

Seems too easy to just move Ryu one space, add Ken, then add the final newcomer after Isabelle. It fits the theories, it fits the damn box, it fits with the big rumors (SE newcomer being the outlier) and it fits with Sakurai's various statements.

I firmly believe that's it for the base roster.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Appropriate placement... Well the joke does work here.... shoot!

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
sorry if i wasnt clear, i dont think sakurai would tell us that this is the "full roster" here in october, revealing ken/incineroar... and then spring surprise characters on us. im not saying that at all.

what i meant was that IF we are getting a direct or some form of smash news very soon and that news has Ken/Incineroar then i think its awfully early to give us the FULL roster. i'm not implying sakurai would try to "fake" us out and trick us into thinking ken and incineroar is the full roster, that hypothetical october direct would have him beng honest and telling us theres a bit more to reveal.

what im saying is that if we get a direct announcement soon (which we now have reason to believe we might) i could see WHY the box ends at ken/incineroar. its not because those are the final two its because the box needs to get printed and this is the final character count at the time of the boxes printing. its always been planned this way so yes box theory is true but its not the final game roster thats on the box, just the full roster at the time the boxes are going into printing (mid october).

sakurai isnt trying to trick us or something its just that these things NEED to go into printing with enough time to physically create them and distribute them and so the box image we've seen IS indeed aware of ken and incineroar and it will infact only have up until them printed on it but that we will get a bit more characters shown in november, but they wont be on the boxes.

basically theres no way sakurai can hide newcomers (and i mean hide them with the intention of revealing them in november) for late reveals if they end up on the box/promotional material because they would end up in so many peoples hands that theyd get found out about (because these things cant be made the final week in november, they have to be printed a month or so in advance of course).

So all i was saying was that IF ken and incineroar are intended to be shown very soon, i can actually see a lot of merit to the box simply being fit for THIS point and time because thats a good amount of time to print stuff NOT because its the final roster in the game...

if however we dont hear about ken and incineroar until november then i think they are likely to be the final characters and the box does indeed have everyone on it and was intended to all along (barring like a special case right before release square dlc character reveal or something).

its just that i never thought we'd get ken and incineroar shown as early as say for example, next week, but now that that is a possibility suddenly having the box have the character reveals up until only "mid october" makes sense cause they have to print them around then. before i wasnt considering getting these characters shown SO early before the games release, so box theory made sense to be the final roster, but i just think its unlikely two months before release we'd have the full roster (kills hype for too long, i could see a month before but not two). so again its all about when we might get smash news shown in my opinion on whether or not the box theory is just for when the boxes are being printed or if its also the full roster shown on the box.
And this is one of many reasons why Box Theory has tenuous assumptions--hard Box Theory, which states Incineroar and Ken are it. Even if we except that it's the final design (which it's not, because it's obviously a placeholder), and even if Verge is 100% correct (which he may not be despite my confidence in him), that doesn't mean it tells us anything about the final roster count. Because as you said, if the finalized Box art only includes Incineroar and Ken, it may be due to being printed before the reveals of other characters, and to avoid leaking those characters. The reason I just don't buy into Box Theory is, unlike the blog, there are a gazillion assumptions that have to be granted for it to be true.

To be fair Sakurai is infamous for saying this is my last Smash game, but he is to passionate to give up this franchise
Indeed, though this time he had said that if he were to make another Smash game, he would not know how to follow Ultimate given this may be the only time he could pull something like this off. Which means a) he is considering another Smash game, unlike other times and b) whatever will be next will not be ultimate, and so if you want your favorite characters with all of the rest this may be their last chance. It's why I'm one of (perhaps few) who do want Ultimate to be the final Smash game, in a sense: just continue adding and expanding through DLC, as you have the best game as is. Though, I can't tell how Sakurai would top Ultimate--if he or his successor figures it out, I'll be open to that possibility, but would prefer Smash Ultimate to just continue as it is and turn into a games-as-a-service.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Dark Pit had a slightly higher chance than most clones to get in due to Sakurai love (and no bias)

And Daisy is also the 2nd best Mario Woman to not need a crown to become a woman (Pauline number 1)
Daisy is best. It's been scientifically proven multiple times

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I don't see how the card supports Box Theory?

There may be an empty spot next to Ryu, but it's before him, and it's apparently already printed...

well it makes it easy to add ken, as you could just move ryu slightly and it doesnt throw everything off and then add incineroar after isabelle...essentially if they keep using this general layout it fits well with box theory.

however it is a printed piece of official material and being distributed as is, while the box in box theory was an online mock up image... so it does mean official material can be printed and sent out WITHOUT the full roster and just with whats known at the time of the printing... so the box in box theory might just be printed WHEN we get ken/incineroar (potentially our next two newcomers) and so box theory is right, the final box ends at ken and incineroar but not necessarily the final roster... but thats just my opinion as a possibility.

im very willing to accept box theory and that ken and incineroar are our final two, it could happen, i think theres enough unknowns still though AND i think the square character vergeben is talking about could factor in somehow to all this possibly as dlc but also i think possibly on the base roster, again i think theres enough unknowns box theory isnt 100% yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom