• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigblast181

Smash Rookie
NNID
bigblast181
3DS FC
1934-1420-5506
Switch FC
SW 8295 7726 8006
To add to your agruement, it's quite possible David S J Hodgson may have been the one behind this Prima leak. I mean......He has created strategy. Please take a look at this: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77047349
We talked about it and determined its unlikely. The account was created around the same time the smashboards account was made. So it's just as likely to be one person posting the leak and trying to give it credibility by pinning it on David.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
We talked about it and determined its unlikely. The account was created around the same time the smashboards account was made. So it's just as likely to be one person posting the leak and trying to give it credibility by pinning it on David.
Wait, what?

I didn't know, but he seemed to have a point there...

I mean, it's not like we're trying to find inconsistences and false things about the Prima leak...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I really wish it’s like a collecting method to unlock characters. I want characters to be given out as rewards like how loot boxes are in other games - though without the negative attachments to them.

So characters like Shadow, Black Shadow, Black Knight, Dixie Kong, Medusa, Octoling, Ken, and Impa all seem to be accepted ideas for Echoes but what are people’s feelings in regards to this list?

Zack Fair (Cloud)
Hikari and Donne (Ice Climbers)
Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo)
Demise (Ganondorf)
Dry Bowser (Bowser)
Celica (Robin)
Paper Mario (Mario)
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Masked Man (Claus) (Metaknight)
Gardevoir (Zelda)
Skull Kid (Lucas)
Zack Fair (Cloud) - Fine
Hikari and Donne (Ice Climbers) - Maybe?
Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo) - Unsure.
Demise (Ganondorf) - Unsure.
Dry Bowser (Bowser) - Maybe
Celica (Robin) - Fine
Paper Mario (Mario) - Fine
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong) - Can't Say
Masked Man (Claus) (Metaknight) - Can't Say
Gardevoir (Zelda) - Unsure.
Skull Kid (Lucas) - No.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I really wish it’s like a collecting method to unlock characters. I want characters to be given out as rewards like how loot boxes are in other games - though without the negative attachments to them.

So characters like Shadow, Black Shadow, Black Knight, Dixie Kong, Medusa, Octoling, Ken, and Impa all seem to be accepted ideas for Echoes but what are people’s feelings in regards to this list?

Zack Fair (Cloud)
Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo)
Demise (Ganondorf)
Dry Bowser (Bowser)
Celica (Robin)
Paper Mario (Mario)
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Gardevoir (Zelda)
Skull Kid (Lucas)
How the **** can Masked Man echo Meta Knight? ....they don’t even have similar body shapes.

Half this list doesn’t even make sense.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really don't understand how people couldn't just leave the thread and talk here...why was it so hard to separate that as a leak thread instead of a general discussion thread?

Just thinking out loud here, but I think if we didn't normalize talking about leaks in the general discussion, people would understand not to have general discussion in the leak thread. But that's what everyone was used to. Anyway it is what it is, hope no one gets spoiled if they don't want to.
Leak threads are good for people who want an update on all the current leaks, but once we have a drought without any notable rumors, they basically lose all of their purpose. You can only talk about a single leak so much before people get bored out of their minds.

Personally, I think a general discussion thread is still the best option. We can discuss rumors and leaks as they pop up, but we can also freely talk about anything else related to Ultimate. Leak threads don't have the same leniency.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The leak thread at least had nice cage fights sounds argument and people didn't had a thin skins.
Always nice to see people fight with pop-corn. :nifty:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How the **** can Masked Man echo Meta Knight? ....they don’t even have similar body shapes.

Half this list doesn’t even make sense.
Ding ding ding.

That was the correct answer. To me, most Echoes don’t make much sense and some suggestions I have seen, like a Midna human form of Zelda, does not make sense at all. Nothing makes me scratch my head more then when I see someone suggest a character and say “well...Richter got in so technically Zoroark can as an echo of Lucario.

But I was also gauging the view of Shadow Mewtwo as I added it in my roster as a Mewtwo clone and I don’t see much discussion on itZ

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ding ding ding.

That was the correct answer. To me, most Echoes don’t make much sense and some suggestions I have seen, like a Midna human form of Zelda, does not make sense at all. Nothing makes me scratch my head more then when I see someone suggest a character and say “well...Richter got in so technically Zoroark can as an echo of Lucario.

But I was also gauging the view of Shadow Mewtwo as I added it in my roster as a Mewtwo clone and I don’t see much discussion on itZ
Okay, good. I got genuinely concerned for your well-being when you suggested Skull Kid as a Lucas Echo.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I’m going to miss the leak discussion form as well the debates which were really good and enjoyable to watch with pop corn.

I haven’t been on this form in a week. How’s everyone?

D

Deleted member

A moment of silence for the short-lived Leak Thread

Alright, so...nothing really of note lately huh? I'm less confident about a direct this October now with Sakurai coming out and saying that the reveals will slow. There's only a couple more months, so we'll probably just get a final reveal in November since there's barely a week in December before it actually releases.

Between him saying 'Don't expect too many newcomers' thanks to returning veterans and the more recent statement of reveals slowing, I'm surprised we're still getting some fake leaks with people naming like 5-6 uniques with just as many echoes. I mean, what part of 10-12 more characters sounds like only a few left?

Between the new characters (9 so far, I think) and the returning veterans (7 when counting Ivysaur & Squirtle) we're at around 16 characters that will be 'new' from the last iteration to this one. 2 or 3 more left sounds pretty accurate in my eyes and lines up with the information that Verg has heard, too. A pokemon rep (which his sources have since confirmed to be Incineroar), Ken (confirmed by the leak), and 'a square rep'. Strange how nobody has been able to confirm what square character that is just yet, though. Leads me to think that it may not be Geno as a lot of people suspect.

I wonder how much longer we've got until a legitimate looking leak comes to show off either Incineroar or the square rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
To me, most Echoes don’t make much sense and some suggestions I have seen, like a Midna human form of Zelda, does not make sense at all.
As a supporter of Twili Midna as a Zelda echo, I’m curious what of this doesn’t make sense at all?

Is it her height? Twili Midna is pretty tall, though not as tall as Ganondorf.

The Zelda series has always played with heights though. Consider this:
1538140945785.jpeg

Zelda’s a bit taller than Link here, but the Dorf is not twice Link’s height. It could still work out if Twili was shorter, it’s not that much of a difference. Besides, Daisy’s a bit shorter than Peach, so heights may be negotiable to a point.

Is it her moveset? True, we haven’t seen Twili Midna do much in her parent game. Then again, neither had Sheik done much. Midna herself has used magic before, with the twilight effects, so those wouldn’t be beyond the realm of credulity, and Twili Midna did get a full kit for Hyrule Warriors as well. Zelda’s basic magic attacks would work well as standard magic attacks for Midna, and her specials could be adapted easily. Consider her Hyrule Warriors kit again: she uses a sol as an explosive or the tear after her Focus Spirit, which could easily be a Din’s Fire reskin, she summons Twilight beasts for a Phantom redo (maybe it acts as in For where the full thing is summoned at once), Imp Midna uses balls of twilight energy which could adapt into a Nayru’s love (I prefer the option of reskinning one of Zelda’s customs instead where it acts as a vacuum-then-explosion and thne works like Twili’s neutral B attack in HW), and Midna in Twilight Princess is all about warping.

Sorry if I’m light on pics - I’m on my phone so it’s tough to do them here, but I don’t feel itms outside the realm of possibility. Besides, we all know Dark Samus shouldn’t fight like Samus, Lucina learned from Chrom, not Marth, and Daisy couldn’t float in any of her other appearances, so echoes do sometimes end up taking allowances.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Welp, I just realized the leak thread closed, but this is better anyway I think. There's already not much to talk about, so I'm glad we aren't limited based on the thread type anymore. Can't wait for this thread to move super fast again lol.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I do not know who had the Idea of 3 represents of each third parties but I like it.

Konami: has 3 represents

BandaiNamco: Pac Man, Guilmon

Capcom: Ryu, MegaMan, Chris Redfield?

Microsoft: Banjo Kazooie, Minecraft Stage (it is the same as with Labo. Great frenchise to have stages and items but nothing more)

Ubisoft: Rayman, Alexios (because it is the latest protagonist of thier best franchises that was released on a Nintendo console, alternate it could be Ratonhnhaké:ton Kenway. AC3 was released world wide on WiiU), Starlink Character?

Activison Blizzard: Crash (because Haha-Sony), Diablo (why not? more claws i need), (no Overwatch fighter because no Overwatch on Nintendo consoles)

Bethesda: Doomslayer, Dragonborn, Vault-Boy as AT?
Giving my version of this
Sega: Joker, Edgy the Hedgy

Namco: Heihachi, Lloyd Irving or Dark Souls rep

Capcom: D A N T E or Leon Kennedy

Microsoft: Steve, Banjo, Vault Boy

Activision: Crash, Call of Duty guy, the Hamster from Overwatch

Ubisoft: Rabbid Peach, Rayman, Ezio

Bethesda: Doomguy, Vault Boy, Todd

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
I do not know who had the Idea of 3 represents of each third parties but I like it.

Konami: has 3 represents

BandaiNamco: Pac Man, Guilmon

Capcom: Ryu, MegaMan, Chris Redfield?

Microsoft: Banjo Kazooie, Minecraft Stage (it is the same as with Labo. Great frenchise to have stages and items but nothing more)

Ubisoft: Rayman, Alexios (because it is the latest protagonist of thier best franchises that was released on a Nintendo console, alternate it could be Ratonhnhaké:ton Kenway. AC3 was released world wide on WiiU), Starlink Character?

Activison Blizzard: Crash (because Haha-Sony), Diablo (why not? more claws i need), (no Overwatch fighter because no Overwatch on Nintendo consoles)

Bethesda: Doomslayer, Dragonborn, Vault-Boy as AT?
On the three third party reps of my choice:

Konami: Snake, Simon, Bomberman
SEGA: Sonic, Beat, Vyse
CAPCOM: Megaman, Ryu, Phoenix Wright
Bandai Namco: Pac-Man, Heihachi Mishima, Lloyd Irving
Square-Enix: Cloud, Neku, Jade.
SNK: Terry Bogard, Kyo Kusanagi, Athena Asamiya.
Capcom:
Mega Man, Ryu, Arthur

Konami:
Simon, Snake, Bomberman

Sega:
Sonic, Bayonetta, Toejam & Earl

Namco:
Pac-Man, Heihachi, Lloyd Irving

Square Enix:
Cloud, Erdrick, Geno

Microsoft:
Banjo, Conker, Master Chief
(Changed my mind on Steve. Minecraft would be better represented as a stage and a Creeper assist trophy.)

Ubisoft:
Rayman, Rabbid Peach, Jade

Activision Blizzard:
Crash, Spyro, Kerrigan
(Diablo would work better as a boss, much like Rathalos for representing Monster Hunter)

Bethesda:
Doomguy, Dragonborn

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa

Many of these will never happen, but it's still fun to think about.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Glad that literally the only thing I did in the leak thread before it was closed is praise young thug.

It did seem kind of pointless as a thread though. Almost all speculation at this point in the hype cycle surrounds leaks or at least takes them into account so it's kind of pointless to have leak and non leak specualtion threads. Oh well, another footnote in the history of hype.

D

Deleted member

Giving my version of this
Sega: Joker, Edgy the Hedgy

Namco: Heihachi, Lloyd Irving or Dark Souls rep

Capcom: D A N T E or Leon Kennedy

Microsoft: Steve, Banjo, Vault Boy

Activision: Crash, Call of Duty guy, the Hamster from Overwatch

Ubisoft: Rabbid Peach, Rayman, Ezio

Bethesda: Doomguy, Vault Boy, Todd
Some of your stuff seems a bit off...
Crash is Naughty Dog, not Activision. 'Hammond/Wreckingball' from Overwatch is Blizzard...again, not Activision, and Vault Boy you have listed twice; at least the second time you got it right with Bethesda; not Microsoft.

D

Deleted member

Still looking genuine.

The only questions really are "more then two characters" and "what's this mystery mode?"
My main questions right now are: "where the **** are trophies?", "How many kickass FE and Pokemon remixes are we getting?" and "Is TW101 music still in the game?"

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Crash is Naughty Dog, not Activision. 'Hammond/Wreckingball' from Overwatch is Blizzard...again, not Activision, and Vault Boy you have listed twice; at least the second time you got it right with Bethesda; not Microsoft.
meant Master Chief for microsoft
Activision has owned Crash and Blizzard for years now

Ikanger

Smash Apprentice
As a supporter of Twili Midna as a Zelda echo, I’m curious what of this doesn’t make sense at all?

View attachment 167001

Zelda’s a bit taller than Link here, but the Dorf is not twice Link’s height. It could still work out if Twili was shorter, it’s not that much of a difference. Besides, Daisy’s a bit shorter than Peach, so heights may be negotiable to a point.

Is it her moveset? True, we haven’t seen Twili Midna do much in her parent game. Then again, neither had Sheik done much. Midna herself has used magic before, with the twilight effects, so those wouldn’t be beyond the realm of credulity, and Twili Midna did get a full kit for Hyrule Warriors as well. Zelda’s basic magic attacks would work well as standard magic attacks for Midna, and her specials could be adapted easily. Consider her Hyrule Warriors kit again: she uses a sol as an explosive or the tear after her Focus Spirit, which could easily be a Din’s Fire reskin, she summons Twilight beasts for a Phantom redo (maybe it acts as in For where the full thing is summoned at once), Imp Midna uses balls of twilight energy which could adapt into a Nayru’s love (I prefer the option of reskinning one of Zelda’s customs instead where it acts as a vacuum-then-explosion and thne works like Twili’s neutral B attack in HW), and Midna in Twilight Princess is all about warping.

Sorry if I’m light on pics - I’m on my phone so it’s tough to do them here, but I don’t feel itms outside the realm of possibility. Besides, we all know Dark Samus shouldn’t fight like Samus, Lucina learned from Chrom, not Marth, and Daisy couldn’t float in any of her other appearances, so echoes do sometimes end up taking allowances.
You have to keep in mind that we now have ALTP Zelda rather than TP Zelda.. and she seems even shorter than TP Zelda (though I could be wrong). Midna echoing TP Zelda would make more sense in my eyes than her echoing ALTP Zelda though.. as much as I would love to see Midna in Smash.

EDIT: wait nvm, you used pics to prove that point that weren't loading on my phone.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

Zack Fair (Cloud)
Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo)
Demise (Ganondorf)
Dry Bowser (Bowser)
Celica (Robin)
Paper Mario (Mario)
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Gardevoir (Zelda)
Skull Kid (Lucas)
Doing it in order if how well i think they works
Dry Bowser (Bowser) & Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo): These are both are close enough to the original to be costumes.
Demise (Ganondorf): works fine.
Zack Fair (Cloud): Works well to my knowledge
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong): some animation work and one surfboard move and I think this works.
Celica (Robin): don't really know enough about FE, but could possibly work by replacing durability mechanic by something else.
Gardevoir (Zelda): Need a little too many small changes, Down-B doesn't work. it technically could maybe work but would feel even more forced than someone like Midna for zelda echo.
Hikari & Donbe: Doesn't work, Difference in size and no basis for using weapon.
Paper Mario (Mario): Mario uses his legs too much for this to work and Paper mario would feel wrong without Hammer.
Masked Man (Claus) (Metaknight): Wrong bodyshape.
Skull kid (Lucas): This in no way makes sense.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Naughty Dog no longer does Crash. It's developed by Vicarious Visions and published by Activision.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if its Toon or Young link he works best on.
I'd say Toon Link because:
1-No kicks. Ravio's dress thingy would really mess that up
2-More wacky animations. Yink is more "realistic" compared to Tink and Ravio would fit that cartoonish style a lot more.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Celica (Robin): don't really know enough about FE, but could possibly work by replacing durability mechanic by something else.
She could have slight damage given to her like in Echoes

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

View attachment 167001

For starters, I wouldn’t want to see humanoid Midna period. I don’t mind the character but I would rather see Skull Kid or even an Impa Echo. And if I had to go with Midna, I would prefer her and Wolf Link but thats not gonna happen anytime soon.

To me, wanting Midna as an Echo in order to have her playable isn’t a good thing. Sure, I wanted Dark Samus more than anything but as an unique fighter, that creates Dark Echoes, fires homing phazon sphere, has poison mehanics, and becomes an Auora Unit for her Final Smash. I love she’s in Smash but having her as an Echo felt like a hollow victory. Getting an Echo Dixie Kong will feel even more bitter and getting an Ken will feel like a huge middle finger. I don’t want Ken; echo or not. I am a big supporter of Scorpion but some supporters think that lampooning Sub-Zero as an Echo is logical cause...well...Richter got in so Sub-Zero. But that obviously wouldn’t work unless they pulled a Chrom times 2 and really changed him up.

If we had to have humanoid Midna, I would prefer a summoning type character that includes various enemies found in zelda.

And you might share in my disgust when I had a conversation offsite where a kid said that the Dragonborn could totally work as an Echo of Link. Reason being that they both use swords, shields, and now and arrows. Plus, theirs series are similar and Elder Scrolls isn’t as important as Zelda so adding him as an Echo would serve to drive that point home.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
The perfect Shadow trailer will have these:

*Shadow the Hedgehog theme (Cover by Drowning Pool)
*Advent Children Cloud
*American Boxart Kirby
*Dark Samus
*Dark Pit
*Ridley but designed by Nomura
*use Fire Emblem's Killing Edge
*Darkrai
*CF's Blood Falcon Alt
*Mario in his fedora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom