• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Anyways,
Let’s say Sakurai once again holds a ballot but, this time, it’s the Ultimate Ballot! Instead of voting for a character, the ballot has spaces for:
  • Character
  • Stage
  • Item
  • Assist Trophy
  • Pokeball Pokemon
  • Boss
  • Music
You can only vote for one per category obv. I’ll post mine up later so it’s easier for people to copy and paste if they want.

Let’s go!

Hmm, this one is super hard. I can at least say my choices that I struggle with.

-Character: Phosphora, Medusa, or Monster Hunter (I can't choose between this one)
-Stage: An Underworld stage from Kid Icarus
-Item: Uncertain, but probably another Kid Icarus item
-Assist Trophy: Arlon
-Pokeball Pokemon: Probably Primarina
-Boss: Most likely something related to Kid Icarus, like Hewdraw
-Music: A remix of KIU's Chapter 14's music, putting both songs in that chapter together into a nice remix.

Explanations below
For the character one, it's hard to choose between these three. For Phosphora, she's my number 1 choice and want for many reasons. For Medusa, she's the last of the iconic trio of KI along with Pit and Palutena, not to mention a female villain, a great addition indeed. Monster Hunter, as in just a hunter from the series (think MvC, but better), considering we got the Rathalos and me liking MH quite a lot, surely they can add a hunter in as a wildcard like Snake/Sonic were for Brawl. I most likely will choose Phosphora first, even though there's a chance Medusa could take that vote away due to her iconic status. So sorry I couldn't decide on this one.

For stages, I've chosen wanting some kinda Underworld stage to fit the trio of main factions of KIU, where we got 2 Skyworld stages, one pseudo Forces of Nature one with the Reset Bomb Forest, so I'd think we should add to the other iconic KI place, which is the Underworld.

For the item, I'll be honest and say I got the Kid Icarus bias so I couldn't rely decide, but surely they could add another non-weapon item around, like Lightning of Judgment or something.

For Assist Trophy, I chose Arlon. Considering Phosphora is likely to be an AT again if not playable, I chose one of my favorite KI characters. Plus Arlon is cool, using chakrams and explosions to fight, not to mention turning lights on and off (well, specifically the Lunar Sanctum only). I say! He'd be a good choice!

The Pokeball Pokemon I didn't really think about much. I chose Primarina as it's not likely to be playable at all, but rather can be a support Pokemon that attacks with water moves, but also heals its owner with songs if it's nearby.

For the Boss, more Kid Icarus bias. Since Nintendo brought us some of the older things, like K.Rool, I went this route too, which was bringing one of the Underworld Commanders around as a boss. I couldn't choose between Twinbellows or Hewdraw, though I do like Hewdraw better for its 3-headed banter was fun and had different personalities, so probably Hewdraw. Something tells me Twinbellows would work better though.

For music, let's just say I love Chapter 14's music in Uprising, but what if the two tracks in it were combined and remixed into something better? Is it even possible? If it happens, hats off to them.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It’s still dated 9.25 tho which yesterday’s also was, isn’t there one for “tomorrow” soon, ergo, it’ll be marked as 9.26?
I didn't even notice the date... I guess the bot just happened to post it close enough to the usual time.

Guess we'll get something else soon.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sure why not.
It's not like anyone reads these things:
  • Character: The Hero, Aleph, Flynn
    • SMT1 Hero Keychain.png
      With either as echoes:
      Aleph Keychain.png
      Flynn Keychain.png
  • Stage: Cathedral of Shadows
    • SMT Cathedral of Shadows Mid transformation.png
  • Item Kagutsuchi
    • Kagutsuchi.jpg
  • Assist Trophy: Cu Chulainn
    • Cu Chulainn.jpg
  • Pokeball Pokemon: Gar-Chomp
  • Boss: Metatron
    • Metatron.jpg
  • Music: SMT1 Battle Theme
If nothing else, yall should listen to that sick ass track.
SMT already got their hype music down in the 1980's, man and every remix keeps making this theme better and better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's 9/25 because it's technically supposed to be the update for yesterday in the US. It's just late as hell :V.

Tonight's update will be 9/26.

Untouch

Smash Master
Brinstar is up on the Japanese blog already.
Guess the NA intern fell asleep and hasn't woken up yet or something.

edit: wait lol it just went up

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
You're like a case study on passive aggressive condescension. Tell me where the bad video game touched you.
"Bad Video Games" didn't lay a finger on me. It's the rest of ya'll that's the problem.

You might be pleasantly surprised by the new game, then.
I'm referring to the reboot, but the original was pretty awful, as well.

Do you have any idea how light works or do you just assume you step outside and get your face melted by neon grass?
At least the grass is actually ****ing green.

I dunno about you, but if you're out in a warzone you're going to see dust, gunpowder, smoke, and haze. That's actually fairly realistic.
Remember how Video Games used to have more then one environment?

Remember how, if you didn't like the way a certain level looked, that'd be fine because there'd be an entire other level whose look suited your taste?

What, did video game developers forget that familiarity breeds contempt or something?

>Witcher 3
>bland
pfft
PPFFFFTTTTT
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

My dude
Witcher 3 is beautiful
people use it as a damn benchmark
I feel like you're just picking names from a Wikipedia page and waving them around like "durr it bad"

...it looks utterly bland to me.

You heard it here first, folks. Video games should never explore darker themes.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution can cover dark themes just fine without looking like the above eyesore I just posted above.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I couldn’t care less about a stupid music theory, verge, leaks, and whatever the community considers the “bull**** topic of the minute”. It’s all quite tiring and petty. I’ve basically checked out of the entire leak discussion after yesterday and really only pay attention to it since...well...it’s my job to. I just wanna discuss Smash speculation in its purest form; no matter how brain numbing it is.

Anyways,
Let’s say Sakurai once again holds a ballot but, this time, it’s the Ultimate Ballot! Instead of voting for a character, the ballot has spaces for:
  • Character
  • Stage
  • Item
  • Assist Trophy
  • Pokeball Pokemon
  • Boss
  • Music
You can only vote for one per category obv. I’ll post mine up later so it’s easier for people to copy and paste if they want.

Let’s go!
Assuming I don't have to correlate each one with the same series, these would be my picks:
  • Chorus Kids
  • Duma Temple
  • Short Axe (Fire Emblem) - Use as a projectile, and could increase the damage of it with Smash Attacks.
  • Karate Joe - Would hit pots, bowling balls, etc. at you like his home mini game. Also would do a combo if nearby.
  • Larvitar - Would throw out Stealth Rocks onto the stage, causing hazards for the opponents.
  • Nightmare (Metroid Fusion)
  • Zinnia's Theme or HGSS Champion Theme.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
  • Character: The Dragonborn (TES)
  • Stage: Sovngarde (TES)
  • Item: Mehrune's Razor (TES)
  • Assist Trophy: Hermaeus Mora (TES)
  • Pokeball Pokemon: Naganadel (SM)
  • Boss: Alduin (TES)
  • Music: Skyrim Main Theme (TES)

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
"Bad Video Games" didn't lay a finger on me. It's the rest of ya'll that's the problem.
Sure don't act like it.

I'm referring to the reboot, but the original was pretty awful, as well.
In what alternate universe is a thoughtful narrative about parenthood in a mythical Nordic setting in any way more emblematic of "dudebro" gaming than a game where you play as a bald man who murders the entire Greek Pantheon with ludicrous weapons and beds ships full of women? You're absolutely clueless as the content of the GoW Reboot aren't you?

At least the grass is actually ****ing green.
Yeah, so is the grass in pretty much every game you're namedropping. Your point?

Remember how Video Games used to have more then one environment?

Remember how, if you didn't like the way a certain level looked, that'd be fine because there'd be an entire other level whose look suited your taste?
Yeah, I do, because that never stopped. Uncharted is full of deserts, mountains, lush jungles, a colonial pirate town, rocking boats in a storm, a prison on a tropical island, African coastal towns, and the list goes on. But you wouldn't know that because you don't play any of the games you're complaining about.

...it looks utterly bland to me.
If that looks bland and unrealistic to you then you've never set foot outside the countryside in an early Winter morning.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution can cover dark themes just fine without looking like the above eyesore I just posted above.
Did it ever occur to you that neons are a thematic staple of cyberpunk aesthetic, and that Human Revolution is a cyberpunk game? That's like saying Mario is colorful. No duh. It has little to do with just dark theming and more to do with the overall composition of noir-esque fiction in a high-tech low-life world. Not that I'd expect you to know that because you're clearly just spouting things without evidence at this point.

You're passing off your hideously uninformed opinion as gospel and talking down to people for the crime of not thinking exactly as you do. There's nothing to be gained from arguing with you any further as this is getting tiring and you're grating my patience and I'm sure people would rather this subject just be dropped.

Go away.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright I'm really sick of all this drama. There's too much hate being thrown around here. Hate towards Verg (I don't like him either but come on), hate towards Incineroar, Decidueye, Steve, Minecraft, Waluigi and now hate towards Uncharted appearently. There's going to be things you won't like or want in Ultimate, but it's still going to be a fantastic game regardless. Why don't we focus on positives for once?

Go find a small detail about a character you like. It can a gameplay change, a new visual tweak, or even a sound effect you like. If for some reason there's nothing new that you love about that character, then mention something you loved about them in Smash 4.

I'll start. Charizard's new run animation is really nice. Rather then flying strait like an arrow he now dips up and down while flying in an almost snake-like way. It may be a bit jarring seeing it get cancled into a grounded move, but it's definitely worth getting used to. As much as I love Sm4sh Zard's run animation, I'll admit it was a bit stiff and lifeless. This new fluid animation far better conveys how fast Charizard's run really is and helps bring the character to life.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Alright I'm really sick of all this drama. There's too much hate being thrown around here. Hate towards Verg (I don't like him either but come on), hate towards Incineroar, Decidueye, Steve, Minecraft, Waluigi and now hate towards Uncharted appearently. There's going to be things you won't like or want in Ultimate, but it's still going to be a fantastic game regardless. Why don't we focus on positives for once?

Go find a small detail about a character you like. It can a gameplay change, a new visual tweak, or even a sound effect you like. If for some reason there's nothing new that you love about that character, then mention something you loved about them in Smash 4.

I'll start. Charizard's new run animation is really nice. Rather then flying strait like an arrow he now dips up and down while flying in an almost snake-like way. It may be a bit jarring seeing it get cancled into a grounded move, but it's definitely worth getting used to. As much as I love Sm4sh Zard's run animation, I'll admit it was a bit stiff and lifeless. This new fluid animation far better conveys how fast Charizard's run really is and helps bring the character to life.
A "small detail" about a character I like?

About a character I LIKE?!! :yoshi:

That's a joke, right?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-Ike’s new running animation is based the way he runs from a Path of Radiance cutscene.

-Lucas’ shirt is made of wool based on where he lives and was raised in Mother 3.

The character detail and research in this game is absurd.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

I still get a giggle at Simon's walk animation. It looks so perfectly jank. They really went all out on these little touches.

D

Deleted member

I know that this is the cause of half of his issues competitively, but I'm glad that Shulk still keeps Monado on his back and only pulls it out when attacking. It makes him stick out more. As far as actual changes go, his idle animation has been tweaked ever so slightly, and it looks way better now. I really can't wait to see what else they've done with him, even if it'll take me a bit to get used to the faster art switch. I'm so used to mashing B at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It can be a character you've sold your soul to instead if you'd prefer.
I like LITERALLY EVERYTHING about my boi. The fact that he looks genuinely happy to be there fighting. His Yoshi noises. The fact that his crawl makes him look like he's searching for his contacts. The way his tail is used in his attacks. His victory animations. His DEFEAT animations. His taunts. His eating abilities. EVERYTHING!!! :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
More:

-I’m still glad Sakurai didn’t go for the modern Paon design for :ultkrool: and instead brought back the Rare look with the darker skin and golden plate. (The only modern aspects he kept were his face.)

-:ultluigi:‘s new running animation being more game accurate.

-:ultness:‘s new idle animation, him bouncing around looks so much more appealing then that stupid arm waving dance from past games.

-Earthbound character in general having sprite effects for their PK/PSI attacks.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thanks for the great replies! Glad to see some people putting forth great ideas.

Here’s mine:

1) Scorpion (gonna push him a lot for a while)
2) Skies of Hoenn (a traveling stage over the island of Hoenn)
3) Watermelon (Yoshi’s Island)
4) Assist Trophy: Elite Beat Agents (remember these guys?)
Pokémon: Drampa
Boss: M Bison
Music: The Instinct (Killer Instinct)

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Thanks for the great replies! Glad to see some people putting forth great ideas.

Here’s mine:

1) Scorpion (gonna push him a lot for a while)
2) Skies of Hoenn (a traveling stage over the island of Hoenn)
3) Watermelon (Yoshi’s Island)
4) Assist Trophy: Elite Beat Agents (remember these guys?)
Pokémon: Drampa
Boss: M Bison
Music: The Instinct (Killer Instinct)
Now here's the question that separates mice from men

MK2 alt or MK3 alt?

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

I love Peach's new facial animations, especially when Toad comes out to protect her. Speaking of which, I love that Toad is helping her willingly this time instead of being forced to be a meat shield for her; although it would've been great to see him playable this time, I'm happy to see him have more confidence in Ultimate. :love:

I really want to see actual matches of both Peach and Daisy in action though. :(

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love Squirtle's new F-smash. Slamming his enemy with his shell was cool and all, but it doesn't feel like it has much impact. His new move adds to his water-type theme and just looks better in general. His moveset has always seemed more barebones and bland compared to his partners in crime so it's really nice to see him get these changes to help his stand out from them more.

The new sound effects and visual effects on Link's sword make it seem so much sharper and more lethal, like a legendary blade is supposed to. It'll admit that the sound effects never quite did it for me in Smash 4 so Link never felt that satisfying to play as to me. The sound design just seems so much better in general this time around, and that applies to more then just Link.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Topic: What Western third-party franchises are notably popular worldwide, especially in Japan? I can only name Minecraft, Crash Bandicoot, and Undertale (Yes for real) at the top of my head. I ask this because I am considering the possibility that Sakurai may just only add Western third-parties that are popular in Japan, whether those kinds of newcomers appear in the base game or DLC.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Topic: What Western third-party franchises are notably popular worldwide, especially in Japan? I can only name Minecraft, Crash Bandicoot, and Undertale (Yes for real) at the top of my head.
Fallout has a bit of a foothold, and Elder Scrolls is actually pretty damn big. Halo got some traction too but was held back by the Xbox not having a huge install base.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Ike's new up-air is the greatest goddamned sword move in the game.
I love how he just slaps you across the face with this giant hunk of steel.

[Insert obligatory post about not having sword beams and complaining about how Cloud has one.]

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So because I'm a scrub at the Smash Roster Maker, I thought I would just would post a roster I came up with I was in charge of Smash.
Super Mario and Yoshi: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultyoshi:(Paper Mario) (Geno)
Donkey Kong: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong)
Legend of Zelda: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:(A Link Between Worlds Link) (Skull Kid) (Impa)
Metroid: :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:(Sylux)
Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandana Waddle Dee)
Star Fox: :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(Zoroark) (Incineroar)
Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultpalutena:
Fire Emblem: :ultmarth:Either :ultrobinor:ultcorrin: (Three Houses Protagonist)
Xenoblade Chronicles: :ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra)
WarioWare: :ultwario: (Waluigi) (Ashely)
Animal Crossing: :ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Splatoon: :ultinkling: (Octoling)
ARMS: (Spring Man) (Ribbon Girl)
Other Characters::ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:(Mach Rider) (Isaac)
Third Party Characters: :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:Either :ultsnake:or:ultcloud::ultsimon: (Monster Hunter) (Ryu Hayabusa) (Flynn-SMT)
What do you all think?
You removed Ike so it’s a bad roster.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
:ultshulk:NO MORE ACCIDENTAL MONADO ARTS
:ultlink: looks soo good. Remote Bombs look fun, and he seems to be buffed.
:ultmarth:They made his hair fluffier, like most of his recent appearances, and English voice finally
:ultike: Having both Ike versions is great, and I like his new voice. New up air looks so much better, and the buffs give me hope
:ultcloud::ultrobinKeeping track of limit/durability will feel like a godsend. Cloud nerfs means I won't feel as bad picking him, too.
:ultlucina: There was something odd about her model in general in Smash 4, but she looks great in Ultimate
:ultpikachu:New nair is awesome, :ultmewtwo:'s nair has always been one of my favorite moves in Smash. Also Pikachu Libre
:ultzelda: Everything about her looks so much better. From the new Phantom to her design. Same with :ultganondorf:
:ultsheik: Has a design again that's actually available in a game instead of based on concept art. New Final Smash is badass.
:ultpalutena:The counter/reflector fusion and different side B is a great change
:ultness::ultlucas:Sweet PSI effects
:ultkirby: The BotW chest is a cute touch
:ultpit:I love his new blond alt
:ultyoshi: The egg bounce is great

Honestly, who needs newcomers with all these things +:ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultsnake:coming back?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I couldn’t care less about a stupid music theory, verge, leaks, and whatever the community considers the “bull**** topic of the minute”. It’s all quite tiring and petty. I’ve basically checked out of the entire leak discussion after yesterday and really only pay attention to it since...well...it’s my job to. I just wanna discuss Smash speculation in its purest form; no matter how brain numbing it is.

Anyways,
  • Character
  • Stage
  • Item
  • Assist Trophy
  • Pokeball Pokemon
  • Boss
  • Music

Let’s go!
Character: Deathborn

Stage: Tazmilly Village

Item: Jump Pad (From F-Zero) [Basically it propells you forward by a lot and gives you a short hop, allowing you to do Wham a knee in at high speeds!]

Assist Trophy: Caveman (Wario Ware DIY) [A more chaotic version of the devil, can rotate the stage and flip it]

Pokeball Pokemon: Cofagrigus (entombs opponets inside and deals damage to them, can only trap one opponet)

Boss: Octostomp

Music: Primal Dialga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom