• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nah but for real, if for whatever reason Sony got a character in Smash, Nathan Drake would easily be my second most wanted option, right after Sackboy.
and then spider-man shows up

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
so you haven’t even played the games and don’t know the characters’ personalities but you hate the characters?

Also HZD isn’t even remotely trying to be realistic. What are you on? And that’s ignoring that most games these days aren’t even brown/grey anymore. That was a thing back in like 2008. What year are you living in?
Perpetually in the 90's.

Oh, believe me, there's a lot more where that came from.

Hmm... Okay, bad example. I'm probably thinking of a different character; didn't Naughty Dog realize some generic zombie game with a milquetoast "dad" protagonist? That's who I'm probably thinking of.

Those two screenshots reminded me of Horizon: Zero Dawn.

That's a good thing; I ****ing loved how that HZD took the whole "real is brown" trope and sent it hurdling into an incinerator.

It's a cool skin color, and I like chocolate milk. Otherwise, no.
Might I add that for certain games, the lack of color is a deliberate design decision because it conveys a desolate atmosphere? New Vegas is supposed to look dusty and brown because it's LITERALLY A WASTELAND. Halo dips into industrial tones because it's in space. Doom is brown and red because Hell is brown and red. Not everything needs to be bright neons. Any student of color theory will tell you that different experiences call for different pallettes, and for games that go for a darker atmosphere you pretty much need darker tones. Killzone wouldn't have the same impact if it weren't white snow with industrial grey and bright LED highlights.

But that's a moot point because games aren't even all that muddy anymore.
1538002578324.png

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Pretty sure i missed the discussion, but sakurai confirms they front loaded character reveals (prob to avoid leaks), and basically confirmed box theory.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Uncharted is a very vibrant game.
I automatically assume one hasn't played the game much if they say otherwise.

Be in a bright green forest, with giant red steel beams of building rubble that indicate that you can climb up, with bright yellow rope that indicate where to jump to to scale ancient temple wall.

That game vomits colors at you especially in the town environments.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ive ben doing some thinking base on whats ben happening this might be the roster but still likely wrong though with a give or take of 1-2

Ultimate Roster Prediction.png

and loz has nothing to do with skull kid

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So can someone tell me why Iguessitsover, Superdupersceptileorwhateverhisnameis, and Mistersmash4 have decided their entire personality should be "I hate Vergeben?"

That's the real Smash Speculation :/

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So can someone tell me why Iguessitsover, Superdupersceptileorwhateverhisnameis, and Mistersmash4 have decided their entire personality should be "I hate Vergeben?"

I made my personality 5% "All leaks are bull**** until proven otherwise"

Not hard to guess the remaining 95%...

Shroob

Sup?
So can someone tell me why Iguessitsover, Superdupersceptileorwhateverthehellhisnameis, and Mistersmash4 have decided their entire personality should be "I hate Vergeben?"

tl;dr

Verg used autism as an insult because Gamefaqs basically rallied against him because "MUSIC THEORY POSTED POKEMON, THIS PROVES YOU'RE FAKE"

And now people hate Verg and thinks because he snapped out that he's lost all his credibility.

Yeah, he said a **** thing to say, but that doesn't harm his credibility.

If that were the case, politicians would never get elected.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
tl;dr

Verg used autism as an insult because Gamefaqs basically rallied against him because "MUSIC THEORY POSTED POKEMON, THIS PROVES YOU'RE FAKE"

And now people hate Verg and thinks because he snapped out that he's lost all his credibility.

Yeah, he said a **** thing to say, but that doesn't harm his credibility.

If that were the case, politicians would never get elected.
Ahh
It is pretty ****ty to do something like that, but those three are really being super-duper ****ing annoying

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ahh
It is pretty ****ty to do something like that, but those three are really being super-duper ****ing annoying
I mean, Verg's always been an ass, this isn't anything new.

It's just, no, snapping off and calling out Gamefaqs how they are isn't a blow to his credibility.

Like, for how much they say that "He's wrong!", I'm still waiting for said evidence.

KMDP

Smash Legend
All this talk of colours in environments reminds me of one of the most beautiful environments I've seen in a game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

I think they have their skepticism, and contrarian sliders maxed out in the character creation menu.
Im sure they are aware the sliders are maxed out.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I mean, Verg's always been an ***, this isn't anything new.

It's just, no, snapping off and calling out Gamefaqs how they are isn't a blow to his credibility.

Like, for how much they say that "He's wrong!", I'm still waiting for said evidence.
It’s cause he didn’t leak K. Rool obviously. Everyone knows that a leaker must have every single piece of info to be considered legit. It’s not like they can miss stuff.

And Simon Belmont and Ridley? PFfft, super safe guesses. Everyone and their dog saw them coming.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
All this talk of colours in environments reminds me of one of the most beautiful environments I've seen in a game.
Assassin's Creed Blackflag? The pirate Assassin's Creed games are really beautiful, the Adewale DLC too

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It’s cause he didn’t leak K. Rool obviously. Everyone knows that a leaker must have every single piece of info to be considered legit. It’s not like they can miss stuff.

And Simon Belmont and Ridley? PFfft, super safe guesses. Everyone and their dog saw them coming.
Why didn't people see Simon coming? I always wanted to ask people that post reveal, because he always seemed like a shoe-in for Smash 5 to me.

Shroob

Sup?
Why didn't people see Simon coming? I always wanted to ask people that post reveal, because he always seemed like a shoe-in for Smash 5 to me.
No Snake means no Simon, not a hard train of thought.

If Konami wasn't on board, there was no way we'd get either, and I can't imaginine Sakurai going to Konami for Simon and giving the finger to Snake, a veteran.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Show me any post prior to Vergeben leaking him where you've said as much and I'll believe you. :laugh:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I couldn’t care less about a stupid music theory, verge, leaks, and whatever the community considers the “bull**** topic of the minute”. It’s all quite tiring and petty. I’ve basically checked out of the entire leak discussion after yesterday and really only pay attention to it since...well...it’s my job to. I just wanna discuss Smash speculation in its purest form; no matter how brain numbing it is.

Anyways,
Let’s say Sakurai once again holds a ballot but, this time, it’s the Ultimate Ballot! Instead of voting for a character, the ballot has spaces for:
  • Character
  • Stage
  • Item
  • Assist Trophy
  • Pokeball Pokemon
  • Boss
  • Music
You can only vote for one per category obv. I’ll post mine up later so it’s easier for people to copy and paste if they want.

Let’s go!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Simon's been a "shoo-in" since Brawl. Snake probably took priority over him due to Sakurai's relationship with Kojima.
It's just, after 10 years of it not happening, and Konami treating the franchise like **** (and being assholes in general), people assumed it was a lost cause like Snake coming back.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
No Snake means no Simon, not a hard train of thought.

If Konami wasn't on board, there was no way we'd get either, and I can't imaginine Sakurai going to Konami for Simon and giving the finger to Snake, a veteran.
I disagree with the first statement, but I can see why people weren't necessarily confident that Konami would be on board. Even though there's no evidence that Konami had anything to do with Snake being cut.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I don’t speak for everyone, but I believe many did not see Snake’s return likely at all, especially with the controversy surrounding Konami at the time. No Snake = No Simon.

There’s a reason they used Snake to represent “Everyone is Here,” you know.

Shroob

Sup?
I disagree with the first statement, but I can see why people weren't necessarily confident that Konami would be on board. Even though there's no evidence that Konami had anything to do with Snake being cut.
Considering the ordeal with Konami and Kojima that happened during the development of Smash4?

We can't say for certain, but it's painfully obvious.

D

Deleted member

So because I'm a scrub at the Smash Roster Maker, I thought I would just would post a roster I came up with I was in charge of Smash.
Super Mario and Yoshi: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultyoshi:(Paper Mario) (Geno)
Donkey Kong: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong)
Legend of Zelda: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:(A Link Between Worlds Link) (Skull Kid) (Impa)
Metroid: :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:(Sylux)
Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandana Waddle Dee)
Star Fox: :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(Zoroark) (Incineroar)
Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultpalutena:
Fire Emblem: :ultmarth:Either :ultrobinor:ultcorrin: (Three Houses Protagonist)
Xenoblade Chronicles: :ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra)
WarioWare: :ultwario: (Waluigi) (Ashely)
Animal Crossing: :ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Splatoon: :ultinkling: (Octoling)
ARMS: (Spring Man) (Ribbon Girl)
Other Characters::ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:(Mach Rider) (Isaac)
Third Party Characters: :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:Either :ultsnake:or:ultcloud::ultsimon: (Monster Hunter) (Ryu Hayabusa) (Flynn-SMT)
What do you all think?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So because I'm a scrub at the Smash Roster Maker, I thought I would just would post a roster I came up with I was in charge of Smash.
Super Mario and Yoshi: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultyoshi:(Paper Mario) (Geno)
Donkey Kong: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong)
Legend of Zelda: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:(A Link Between Worlds Link) (Skull Kid) (Impa)
Metroid: :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:(Sylux)
Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandana Waddle Dee)
Star Fox: :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(Zoroark) (Incineroar)
Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultpalutena:
Fire Emblem: :ultmarth:Either :ultrobinor:ultcorrin: (Three Houses Protagonist)
Xenoblade Chronicles: :ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra)
WarioWare: :ultwario: (Waluigi) (Ashely)
Animal Crossing: :ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Splatoon: :ultinkling: (Octoling)
ARMS: (Spring Man) (Ribbon Girl)
Other Characters::ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:(Mach Rider) (Isaac)
Third Party Characters: :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:Either :ultsnake:or:ultcloud::ultsimon: (Monster Hunter) (Ryu Hayabusa) (Flynn-SMT)
What do you all think?
Combining Mario and Yoshi series together makes me sad...

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Really? Did you expect Snake to come back too? That was the thing Konami being cooperative was a big problem for the character. If Snake would've appeared in Smash For then yeah, you might have seen Simon coming but he didn't he was cut.

Hindsight is 20/20. Simon was not an easy guess. He was not a shoo-in he wasn't even considered a possibility until Verge came out and said, Simon is in and he brought Snake back too.

If you thought Simon was a shoo-in then you obviously wasn't paying attention to any of the drama that plagued not only him but Snake and Bomberman as well. No one saw it coming until Verge happened. As a matter of fact, Simon making it in is what made people so confident in Verge.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I couldn’t care less about a stupid music theory, verge, leaks, and whatever the community considers the “bull**** topic of the minute”. It’s all quite tiring and petty. I’ve basically checked out of the entire leak discussion after yesterday and really only pay attention to it since...well...it’s my job to. I just wanna discuss Smash speculation in its purest form; no matter how brain numbing it is.

Anyways,
Let’s say Sakurai once again holds a ballot but the Ultimate Ballot! Instead of voting for a character, the ballot has spaces for:
  • Character
  • Stage
  • Item
  • Assist Trophy
  • Pokeball Pokemon
  • Boss
  • Music
You can only vote for one per category obv. I’ll post mine up later so it’s easier for people to copy and paste if they want.

Let’s go!
Character: Celica (maybe with Mae as an echo)
Stage: Duma Tower
Item: Music Box - From SMB3. Puts nearby foes to sleep.
Assist Trophy: Merric - Uses Excalibur to launch powerful wind spells that do tremendous damage to airborne foes.
Poké Ball: Klefki - Uses Fairy Lock to hold foes in place.
Boss: Medeus
Music: Divine Decree (Ablaze)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's not. That's pure speculation.
That's why I flat out said "We can't say for certain" before that.

The legal red tape around Snake was horrid during Smash 4, and Konami more or less was on their way out of the Gaming Industry.

Only recently have they started to get their **** back together.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I remember when Decidueye was the most discussed potential Pokemon newcomer. I’m glad Incineroar has taken over, cuz I neither wanted nor understood why so many expected Decidueye.
Wait till Primarina gets her chance in the limelight, added bonus if she's our newcomer, which I unironically want.
If Sony ever got a rep, I need it to be Kat from Gravity Rush. Such a good pair of games, and she'd actually blend in well with the Nintendo characters. If not her then Sir Dan from MediEvil.
I can't think of a character I want more from Sony to Smash, than Kat from Gravity Rush.

Sony needs to improve their image by playing nice with the rest children in the playground; Nintendo and Microsoft. Allowing one of their Sony exclusive characters to join Smash, could be just the first step they need, into a beautiful era of cross play.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
While Castlevania has a long history in gaming + on Nintendo consoles, it is barely half as successful as the the next biggest third party (MegaMan). It also lacks an iconic namesake character (having instead used several protagonists) which couldn't have helped it.

Preemptive: Bayonetta is best viewed as a first-party property at this point--Nintendo is paying her bills.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Wait till Primarina gets her chance in the limelight, added bonus if she's our newcomer, which I unironically want.

I can't think of a character I want more from Sony to Smash, than Kat from Gravity Rush.

Sony needs to improve their image by playing nice with the rest children in the playground; Nintendo and Microsoft. Allowing one of their Sony exclusive characters to join Smash, could be just the first step they need, into a beautiful era of cross play.
Primarina woukd be the best choice out of the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom