• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ok, so inform me. Considering your icon is Bowsette, can you explain Bowsette? I never got the appeal.
Allow, me.

It's simply funny to imagine Bowser's huge personality in the body of a dainty, pretty princess interacting with Mario and friends. Not to mention the design is pretty solid.

and some people get off to it but that's neither her nor there.

D

Deleted member

Are...are we past the war zone now?

This turn in conversation didn't favor me at all. It just reminds me that I haven't played Odyssey yet.
Me neither. I’m just not interested in Mario anymore

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I agree.

So, what do you guys think about a western third party company like Bethesda getting characters in Smash?
I think it's highly likely we'll see third party playable characters owned by Western companies in this game this time around. We've already gotten characters created by Western companies owned by Nintendo in Dark Samus and King K Rool, and we have an assist trophy in Shovel Knight, owned by a Western developer. The characters I'd like that are the most likely are Banjo & Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot. The former being a former Nintendo All-Star, now owned by Microsoft, the latter being Sony's former mascot, now owned by Activision. And both, personally, would complete the game for me--more the former given their history with Nintendo.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Allow, me.

It's simply funny to imagine Bowser's huge personality in the body of a dainty, pretty princess interacting with Mario and friends. Not to mention the design is pretty solid.

and some people get off to it but that's neither her nor there.
I suppose that’s true. Honestly. I think it’s kinda funny. Just don’t see why it’s as popular as it is. But hey, to each their own.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh hey what's up ready to talk Smash-

tenor.gif

You all bring this on yourselves.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Ok, so inform me. Considering your icon is Bowsette, can you explain Bowsette? I never got the appeal.
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe added Nabbit and Toadette as playable characters. Toadette gets an exclusive power up, the Super Crown that turns her into Peachette. Pretty much a Peach look-alike but its just powered up Toadette.

Someone drew a comic based on the ending of Odyssey where after Peach rejects both Mario and Bowser, Bowser puts on the Super Crown and becomes "Bowsette". People on the internet saw the comic. A lot of people liked it, so the collective internet had a field day.

Comic for context:
super_crown_by_ayyk92-dcn900k.png
As for the appeal I just think it's cute. Some find the idea funny, others like it for potential lewd material. You know typical internet stuff.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
To each their own.

I will say that I found Incineroar’s concept and execution to be much better than pretty much every other fan concept of Litten’s Final Evo, IMHO. I’m sure I would’ve liked a “quadruped tiger” evo if it existed, but Incineroar’s Tiger Mask/wrestler appearance and concept has more than won me over.
Yeah, most of the fanmade ones are really boring.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To each their own.

I will say that I found Incineroar’s concept and execution to be much better than pretty much every other fan concept of Litten’s Final Evo, IMHO. I’m sure I would’ve liked a “quadruped tiger” evo if it existed, but Incineroar’s Tiger Mask/wrestler appearance and concept has more than won me over.
I like Incineroar's concept and design, but it's killing me on the inside knowing we might get another starter. That's not to say the starters aren't unique or anything, but I really don't want to see this rinse and repeat pattern of everyone expecting/supporting the starters. It's very predictable and not much fun when it comes to speculating.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe added Nabbit and Toadette as playable characters. Toadette gets an exclusive power up, the Super Crown that turns her into Peachette. Pretty much a Peach look-alike but its just powered up Toadette.

Someone drew a comic based on the ending of Odyssey where after Peach rejects both Mario and Bowser, Bowser puts on the Super Crown and becomes "Bowsette". People on the internet saw the comic. A lot of people liked it, so the collective internet had a field day.
I know the origins. Just don’t get the appeal. Maybe because people think it’s hot...?

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's literally canon that Decidueye puts on a facade of stoicism and coolness but gets flustered beyond belief if it's startled or ambushed. You not being able to see it doesn't mean Decidueye doesn't have personality.
So I found i being mentioned in a pokedex for Moon,so you're right, but is that it?

Last edited:

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet
At this point, I'm about 90% confident that (regarding the base game) Incineroar and Ken are the only fighters left to be revealed and all the stages have already been shown.

What do you think?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I found i being mentioned in a pokedex for Moon,so you're right, but is that it?
It doesn't warrant a "that's it?" reaction. The Pokédex is literally what gives most Pokémon a personality. It's more than sufficient.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I know the origins. Just don’t get the appeal. Maybe because people think it’s hot...?
Edited my previous post to include the appeal but to address it again here since Smashboards keeps crashing on me;
"As for the appeal I just think it's cute. Some find the idea funny, others like it for potential lewd material. You know. Typical internet stuff."

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Edited my previous post to include the appeal but to address it again here since Smashboards keeps crashing on me;
"As for the appeal I just think it's cute. Some find the idea funny, others like it for potential lewd material. You know. Typical internet stuff."
True true.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Oh hey what's up ready to talk Smash-

View attachment 166786

You all bring this on yourselves.
Are you referring to the leaker guy arguments, the incineroar war, or the bowsette discussion?

I agree.

So, what do you guys think about a western third party company like Bethesda getting characters in Smash?
Eh... as long as macho characters from AAA games (Either Version of Kratos, Nathan Drake, Master Chief, etc.) don't get in, I'll be fine.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Are you referring to the leaker guy arguments, the incineroar war, or the bowsette discussion?

Eh... as long as macho characters from AAA games (Either Version of Kratos, Nathan Drake, Master Chief, etc.) don't get in, I'll be fine.
I...really wouldn't compare Nathan Drake to Kratos. He's not at all the same type of "burly and rugged."

Hell, Ryu is closer to Kratos than Nathan is, and that's saying something.

Pakky

Smash Hero
It doesn't warrant a "that's it?" reaction. The Pokédex is literally what gives most Pokémon a personality. It's more than sufficient.
Yeah but at the same time I would expect that to be in the animations or something.

And or mentioned in more than one game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Isn't the PokeDex canonically wrong on some things? ...though I'd think it would be correct on Pokemon behavior...

Do all Banettes come from a doll filled with hatred? What about Shuppet, then? It wasn't really evolving?!

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I like Incineroar's concept and design, but it's killing me on the inside knowing we might get another starter. That's not to say the starters aren't unique or anything, but I really don't want to see this rinse and repeat pattern of everyone expecting/supporting the starters. It's very predictable and not much fun when it comes to speculating.
Yeah, that I understand. I wouldn’t mind seeing, say, Tapu Koko playable, as I would love to see a new Legendary Pokemon as a fighter.

But we should all know from experience that Sakurai is hard to predict. Who’s to say we’ll only get starter Pokemon as Smash newcomers? Lucario wasn’t a starter Pokemon, and yet he made it in Brawl over the other starters (granted he was hyped up by GF, but the point still stands).

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Pokemon needs more reps like Jigglypuff and Lucario. They're not starters, they're not legendary trio members, they're not part of a set, they're just one pokemon that people really like.

I...really wouldn't compare Nathan Drake to Kratos. He's not at all the same type of "burly and rugged."

Hell, Ryu is closer to Kratos than Nathan is, and that's saying something.
I only ever hear about Ryu in conversations like "hey, a fighting game. where ryu?" which is fine.

When I hear conversations about Nathan Drake or Kratos, the people who gushing about them the most always come off as insecure ****boys desperately wanting their video game hobby "taken seriously," and try to drown the medium in grey-brown trash and depression to make it look "mature" and "sophisticated" as a result, only to cower beneath the excuse of "it's just vidya gamez" whenever people try have an actual "sophisticated" conversation about the medium.

See also: Batman V Superman.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I remember when Decidueye was the most discussed potential Pokemon newcomer. I’m glad Incineroar has taken over, cuz I neither wanted nor understood why so many expected Decidueye.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Isn't the PokeDex canonically wrong on some things? ...though I'd think it would be correct on Pokemon behavior...

Do all Banettes come from a doll filled with hatred? What about Shuppet, then? It wasn't really evolving?!
I think the idea is that anything that is obviously not logistically sound (e.g. Alakazam having an IQ of 5000, Magcargo having a ridiculously high body temperature, "Charmander will literally die if it's tail fire goes out") can just be chalked up to the writings of a 10-year-old; but some of them seem like the result of genuine observation of a scientist and can be considered canon (generally the later ones).

I think the Charmander family tail-fire thing is a mix-up of cause and effect: it's tail-fire goes out when it dies, but it's just a signifier of it's life-force, and can't actually be put out by normal means.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I remember when Decidueye was the most discussed potential Pokemon newcomer. I’m glad Incineroar has taken over, cuz I neither wanted nor understood why so many expected Decidueye.
I didn't understand why they expected him when Pokken was the only promotion he ever got, but it wasn't really hard to see why he was so wanted. Having an archer character who would make use of arrows in his entire moveset instead of just his neutral special sounded extremely unique compared to the rest of the options.

D

Deleted member

So I have a hypothetical scenario that I think would be interesting to see you guys react to.

So Smash Bros is popular, some would even say iconic, and ,in a random made up future that will probably never exist, the effort and talent Sakurai has put in the series has caught the attention of Shonen Jump. Due the lackluster performance of previous titles like Jump Force (I know it's not out, but I'm almost postive it's gonna flop), Shonen Jump wants to create another crossover fighting game that can still be accessible to many, but still have a competitive edge to it.

So, Shonen Jump collaborates with Nintendo and Sakurai to make a squeal to 2008's(?) Jump Ultimate Stars, titled Jump Platinum Stars or something. However, here's the big catch; unlike the Ultimate Stars, this game will be handled exclusively by Sakurai and his team alone.

So basically, Sakurai is charge of developing a squeal to Jump Ultimate Stars. What would reaction to that be? Would you be excited at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
When I hear conversations about Nathan Drake or Kratos, the people who gushing about them the most always come off as insecure ****boys desperately wanting their video game hobby "taken seriously," and try to drown the medium in grey-brown trash and depression to make it look "mature" and "sophisticated" as a result, only to cower beneath the excuse of "it's just vidya gamez" whenever people try have an actual "sophisticated" conversation about the medium.

See also: Batman V Superman.
Woah, seems like you had this bottled up for a while.

But Nathan Drake isn’t like that at all lol, he’s very goofy in general with his snappy one liners

D

Deleted member

Woah, seems like you had this bottled up for a while.

But Nathan Drake isn’t like that at all lol, he’s very goofy in general with his snappy one liners
This. From what I remember of him, Nathan Drake was awesome. Probably the only Naught Dog character I actually like.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Side note to all this super crown stuff, I hope this inspires a Super Princess Peach 2.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This. From what I remember of him, Nathan Drake was awesome. Probably the only Naught Dog character I actually like.
You don't like Crash Bandicoot?

SHAAAAAAAAAME! SHAAAAAAAAME!

(Just kidding, you do you)

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
So I have a hypothetical scenario that I think would be interesting to see you guys react to.

So Smash Bros is popular, some would even say iconic, and ,in a random made up future that will probably never exist, the effort and talent Sakurai has put in the series has caught the attention of Shonen Jump. Due the lackluster performance of previous titles like Jump Force (I know it's not out, but I'm almost postive it's gonna flop), Shonen Jump wants to create another crossover fighting game that can still be accessible to many, but still have a competitive edge to it.

So, Shonen Jump collaborates with Nintendo and Sakurai to make a squeal to 2008's(?) Jump Ultimate Stars, titled Jump Platinum Stars or something. However, here's the big catch; unlike the Ultimate Stars, this game will be handled exclusively by Sakurai and his team alone.

So basically, Sakurai is charge of developing a squeal to Jump Ultimate Stars. What would reaction to that be? Would you be excited at all?
Well, I like anime... just not the shounen jump stuff (most of the time). Either way, I vote Sakurai sticks with Nintendo stuff or retires.

D

Deleted member

You don't like Crash Bandicoot?

SHAAAAAAAAAME! SHAAAAAAAAME!

(Just kidding, you do you)
I didn't really grow up Crash Bandicoot. Or Spyro for that matter. I've never played any of their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom