• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Doesn’t change the fact that his games, much like most other AAA games look like used dishwater.
What exactly warrants that opinion? All 4 Uncharted games have an excellent story, great gameplay, and engaging characters. 4, in particular, was beautiful and breathtaking, and I was sad to see it robbed of GOTY by Overwatch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pokemon needs more reps like Jigglypuff and Lucario. They're not starters, they're not legendary trio members, they're not part of a set, they're just one pokemon that people really like.

I only ever hear about Ryu in conversations like "hey, a fighting game. where ryu?" which is fine.

When I hear conversations about Nathan Drake or Kratos, the people who gushing about them the most always come off as insecure ****boys desperately wanting their video game hobby "taken seriously," and try to drown the medium in grey-brown trash and depression to make it look "mature" and "sophisticated" as a result, only to cower beneath the excuse of "it's just vidya gamez" whenever people try have an actual "sophisticated" conversation about the medium.

See also: Batman V Superman.
But Nathan Drake literally spouts Star-Lord-esque one liners while doing Indiana Jones not-actually-archaeology-but-it-looks-cooler.

Hell, just look at how he acts in PlayStation All-Stars. He just acts bewildered at all the crazy things going on around him...just like in Uncharted.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
What exactly warrants that opinion? All 4 Uncharted games have an excellent story, great gameplay, and engaging characters. 4, in particular, was beautiful and breathtaking, and I was sad to see it robbed of GOTY by Overwatch.
Because Overwatch is aware of this thing called COLOUR.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know how to feel about all this Incineroar talk because literally the only Pokemon game I've played is Diamond

...um, I....png

I dunno, personally I feel that when a newcomer comes into their respective, or new even, franchise, I at the very least expect some more good stuff aside to back that newcomer up, like a stage, some bombin' music, what have you. Just general stuff to beef up the IP's repertoire. SO. As long as Incineroar has that with him, he's alright in my book.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Because Overwatch is aware of this thing called COLOUR.
...and Uncharted doesn't have color? I don't recall the games being black and white. Even so, uh, color isn't what makes a great game at all. It's content does, and I believe Uncharted surpasses anything Overwatch passes up.

like jesus the lore moves like a glacier in OW give me something blizzard

D

Deleted member

Spyro isn't a Naughty Dog character, he (was) an Insomniac Games character (either way they were both owned by Universal).
Oh. Well, still never played their games. And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure if I'd like them.
I don't really dig games, or any kind of media, with a cartoon-ish or basic anime-esque style. I like things that tend to have a realistic approach to them.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
...and Uncharted doesn't have color? I don't recall the games being black and white. Even so, uh, color isn't what makes a great game at all. It's content does, and I believe Uncharted surpasses anything Overwatch passes up.

It does have a colour. One colour. BROOOOOOOOOOOOOWN.
Uncharted is literally everything I hate about modern video games.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I don't know how to feel about all this Incineroar talk because literally the only Pokemon game I've played is Diamond

View attachment 166794

I dunno, personally I feel that when a newcomer comes into their respective, or new even, franchise, I at the very least expect some more good stuff aside to back that newcomer up, like a stage, some bombin' music, what have you. Just general stuff to beef up the IP's repertoire. SO. As long as Incineroar has that with him, he's alright in my book.
I've never played any Pokemon... (Not true I played 1 on the gameboy that my ex had, for about 10 minutes) So I feel you. I just want the pokemon to look cool and have fun moves!

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Okay... this place scares me as of a few pages earlier... but it's time for my two cents regarding the Pokemon bit.

Anyways, the thing with both of those specific Pokemon is that they're fairly popular choices in a way, with Decidueye being well, like this archer owl with spirit arrows and could have range, plus his starter was pretty popular I think. Then there's Incineroar, who also has his perks and could be a close-ranged grapple type with some hard-hitting brawling moves yet can be slow (though it sounds similar to Bowser). Besides, we don't really have many heavy Pokemon at all save for Charizard and I think slightly Lucario? The rest are pretty light. Granted, many ppl prefer a speedy four-legged cat than what we got considering the trend we got with bipedal fire types (at least he's not fire/fighting), but I like this wicked heel of a cat, and even chose him over the others.
Something tells me that looking back a few previous pages, idk if it's ppl just hating Incineroar in general or they're just afraid of how his moveset is gonna turn out (then again, that was me with Palutena, preferring if she was a defensive heavyweight with various projectiles), but you know, some good may come outta it. All I know is that seemingly popular Pokemon, minus Pichu and Jigglypuff, seem to be the more commonly-chosen ones. So if we did go for Gen 7, it probably could be that cat or owl, maybe both.

Whatever the case, I don't mind either of these two Pokemon choices, and I like both the Pokemon in general. I do admit I'd be sour if we got yet another Gen 1 rep, though. But for me, I would've went like Gardevoir or Braixen or something (my bias for magic is there), though I'd be comfortable with no more Pokemon reps too.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Devil's Advocate, but their problem is the "Real is Brown" phenomenon that plagued games during the Sixth and Seventh Generations of Video Games.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

View attachment 166794

Here's one way to feel.

Kidding. Not every two legged anthropomorphized animal is a furry dog-whistle.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So many of the "criticisms" Nintendo fans have of series like Uncharted are literally the same ones they have about Metal Gear Solid. "Brown and ugly" realism, "dark and edgy and deep" stories, "rugged and serious" main protagonists...

...When literally none of that is true for either one, and both franchises have their share of wacky antics. Hell, Metroid is closer to being what these people think Uncharted and MGS are.

Also, as someone who values music in games above most other things, you can't listen to Drake's Theme and seriously call the series bland and boring. It knocks literally all of Metroid's "ohhhhh so atmospheric and creepy" music on its ass lol.

Did that last part show well enough how easy it is to generalize a franchise you don't enjoy? :p

D

Deleted member

So many of the "criticisms" Nintendo fans have of series like Uncharted are literally the same ones they have about Metal Gear Solid. "Brown and ugly" realism, "dark and edgy and deep" stories, "rugged and serious" main protagonists...

...When literally none of that is true for either one, and both franchises have their share of wacky antics. Hell, Metroid is closer to being what these people think Uncharted and MGS are.

Also, as someone who values music in games above most other things, you can't listen to Drake's Theme and seriously call the series bland and boring. It knocks literally all of Metroid's "ohhhhh so atmospheric and creepy" music on its *** lol.

Did that last part show well enough how easy it is to generalize a franchise you don't enjoy? :p
Console Wars man. They turn everyone into demons lol.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Might be 5 more

The 3 from vergeben (I’m still sure the square rep is geno)

And skull kid and shadow from missing in action status (especially shadow since knuckles might be taking his place)

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
It just looks drained and washed out to me. And that woman is uncanny valley incarnate.
>showed vibrant and beautiful colors
>"drained and washed out"

I guess there's literally no changing your mind about this then. Uncharted has color, not to mention a great protagonist, great villains, great gameplay, and great story. The dishwater statement makes no sense to me.

I'm gonna drop this here before it goes any further.

D

Deleted member

Also, as someone who values music in games above most other things, you can't listen to Drake's Theme and seriously call the series bland and boring. It knocks literally all of Metroid's "ohhhhh so atmospheric and creepy" music on its *** lol.

I won't lie and say that Uncharted coming to Smash would be some of the most hypest ****. We don't really have a franchise in our current Smash IP roster that invokes Indiana Jones vibes to a tee, so I'd be down for Nathan to come over. Wouldn't be as weird as Snake.

...Also it'd pretty much bring another middle finger to Sony lmao

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Feel free to criticize whatever you want. All I ask is that you play the damn game first.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

Yeah, well Samus herself was always an aversion, colourful,
futuristic, impossibly badass, impossibly sexy... a literal Superhero. Which is why I absolutely DESPISE the Ultimate design of Samus.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, how would you all feel about Assassin's Creed rep in Smash?
Ezio's a neat character. I'd be more than happy to have him. I'd actually take him over Rayman any day.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Uncharted never interested me because i'm not a fan of real world setting action-games.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Following speculation, it honestly feels like a lot of the times fans judge a franchise and/or characters on superficial details so much that they actually miss the context of both. It causes them to overlook so many good franchises because they refuse to look past their comfort zone and see what they have to offer.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Woah, seems like you had this bottled up for a while.
Oh, believe me, there's a lot more where that came from.

But Nathan Drake isn’t like that at all lol, he’s very goofy in general with his snappy one liners
But Nathan Drake literally spouts Star-Lord-esque one liners while doing Indiana Jones not-actually-archaeology-but-it-looks-cooler.

Hell, just look at how he acts in PlayStation All-Stars. He just acts bewildered at all the crazy things going on around him...just like in Uncharted.
Hmm... Okay, bad example. I'm probably thinking of a different character; didn't Naughty Dog realize some generic zombie game with a milquetoast "dad" protagonist? That's who I'm probably thinking of.

And green
And red
Those two screenshots reminded me of Horizon: Zero Dawn.

That's a good thing; I ****ing loved how that HZD took the whole "real is brown" trope and sent it hurdling into an incinerator.

And it does have brown! Such a beautiful color don't you agree?
It's a cool skin color, and I like chocolate milk. Otherwise, no.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon needs more reps like Jigglypuff and Lucario. They're not starters, they're not legendary trio members, they're not part of a set, they're just one pokemon that people really like.

I only ever hear about Ryu in conversations like "hey, a fighting game. where ryu?" which is fine.

When I hear conversations about Nathan Drake or Kratos, the people who gushing about them the most always come off as insecure ****boys desperately wanting their video game hobby "taken seriously," and try to drown the medium in grey-brown trash and depression to make it look "mature" and "sophisticated" as a result, only to cower beneath the excuse of "it's just vidya gamez" whenever people try have an actual "sophisticated" conversation about the medium.

you sound like a pretentious Nintendo fan who thinks he’s superior because he only plays Nintendo games. You’re not unique just because you play Mario and Zelda instead of Uncharted and Gears of War

I had this mindset when I was like 12. Get over yourself

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Doesn’t change the fact that his games, much like most other AAA games look like used dishwater.
My dude, as someone who generally loathes cinematic action games, Uncharted is goddamn beautiful. I spent god only knows how long just starting at beautiful landscapes and appreciating all the subtle details in just about everything. Game's immersive as heck and saying it's not colorful is just factually wrong.

I know it's impossible to have a wrong opinion but goddamn you are trying.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Hmm... Okay, bad example. I'm probably thinking of a different character; didn't Naughty Dog realize some generic zombie game with a milquetoast "dad" protagonist? That's who I'm probably thinking of.

That's a good thing; I ****ing loved how that HZD took the whole "real is brown" trope and sent it hurdling into an incinerator.

Fairly certain you're talking about Joel from The Last of Us, not Nathan Drake.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice

so you haven’t even played the games and don’t know the characters’ personalities but you hate the characters?

Also HZD isn’t even remotely trying to be realistic. What are you on? And that’s ignoring that most games these days aren’t even brown/grey anymore. That was a thing back in like 2008. What year are you living in?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nah but for real, if for whatever reason Sony got a character in Smash, Nathan Drake would easily be my second most wanted option, right after Sackboy.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If Sony ever got a rep, I need it to be Kat from Gravity Rush. Such a good pair of games, and she'd actually blend in well with the Nintendo characters. If not her then Sir Dan from MediEvil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom