• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I love Squirtle's new F-smash. Slamming his enemy with his shell was cool and all, but it doesn't feel like it has much impact. His new move adds to his water-type theme and just looks better in general. His moveset has always seemed more barebones and bland compared to his partners in crime so it's really nice to see him get these changes to help his stand out from them more.

The new sound effects and visual effects on Link's sword make it seem so much sharper and more lethal, like a legendary blade is supposed to. It'll admit that the sound effects never quite did it for me in Smash 4 so Link never felt that satisfying to play as to me. The sound design just seems so much better in general this time around, and that applies to more then just Link.
I love the movement of Link's sword this time around. Something about it is just so much more fluid than before.

His sword movements used to be kinda stiff, but now they look fantastic.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm actually having a rough day at work and needed that positivity. My lunch break is about to end but I'm definitely in a much better mood now.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987

Ike's new up-air is the greatest goddamned sword move in the game.
I love how he just slaps you across the face with this giant hunk of steel.

[Insert obligatory post about not having sword beams and complaining about how Cloud has one.]
My boy Ike gonna be in the top tier placing he deserves! :crying:

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Has there been any solid play of Mega Man from any of the demos? I only found this one in particular when I went searching for some the other day, and while it showed some of his buffs (including a much needed one to Leaf Shield), the match seemed to be more of a labbing session than anything else.

I would love to see some actual matches if they're around!

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
If Smash have season pass which can function as expansion pass.

Which 6 characters you want to be added in this season pass?

Mine would be:

-Rex and Pyra
-Banjo Koozie
-Gen 8 pokemon or pokemon from other previous gens
-Heihachi
-Tails
-Monster Hunter

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I couldn’t care less about a stupid music theory, verge, leaks, and whatever the community considers the “bull**** topic of the minute”. It’s all quite tiring and petty. I’ve basically checked out of the entire leak discussion after yesterday and really only pay attention to it since...well...it’s my job to. I just wanna discuss Smash speculation in its purest form; no matter how brain numbing it is.

Anyways,
Let’s say Sakurai once again holds a ballot but, this time, it’s the Ultimate Ballot! Instead of voting for a character, the ballot has spaces for:
  • Character
  • Stage
  • Item
  • Assist Trophy
  • Pokeball Pokemon
  • Boss
  • Music
You can only vote for one per category obv. I’ll post mine up later so it’s easier for people to copy and paste if they want.

Let’s go!
Hmm..

Character: Eight(Erdrick as an echo if allowed)
Stage: Castle Trodain
Item: Dieamond(cancels out one of those close up smashes)
Assist: Jessica Albert(she’d hop around the stage whipping people, using magic, buffing the summoner, debuffing other fighters)
Pokemon: Incineroar
Boss: Rhapthorne
Song: War Cry (DQ8 battle theme)

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

Mine would be:

-Rex and Pyra
-Banjo Koozie
-Heihachi
-Tails
-Monster Hunter
Hmm... if it were up to me, I'd add in these choices:

- Dixie Kong (Unique preferably)
- Rex and Pyra
- Paper Mario
- Phoenix Wright
- Professor Layton
- Lloyd

If an AT could become upgraded via DLC though, I'd substitute Lyn in place of Lloyd, though I do enjoy him as well.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, after what the Waluigi fans did to Sakurai, I don't ever want to see Waluigi playable in this game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Has there been any solid play of Mega Man from any of the demos? I only found this one in particular when I went searching for some the other day, and while it showed some of his buffs (including a much needed one to Leaf Shield), the match seemed to be more of a labbing session than anything else.

I would love to see some actual matches if they're around!
one of the rare Mega Man gameplays...:ultpit: has more than he does somehow
high tier at best
he's just too goddamn slow
If Ike gets to be high tier, so must Pit

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Honestly, after what the Waluigi fans did to Sakurai, I don't ever want to see Waluigi playable in this game.
I thought that the reports of Waluigi harassment were greatly exaggerated.

Like, I know it happened, but wasn’t it only a few people, rather than the alleged, “entire Waluigi fanbase”?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Topic: What Western third-party franchises are notably popular worldwide, especially in Japan? I can only name Minecraft, Crash Bandicoot, and Undertale (Yes for real) at the top of my head. I ask this because I am considering the possibility that Sakurai may just only add Western third-parties that are popular in Japan, whether those kinds of newcomers appear in the base game or DLC.
I really don't know what games are popular where, but I can't imagine Sakurai as the kind of person who will only add Japanese releases because of xenophobia or some manufactured language barrier. K.Rool turned out great, and Gregg and Steve Mayles were just as shocked and happy as we were.

Minecraft definitely. That's a worldwide thing.

I'll always plug Skyrim, but I don't know more than rumors about its popularity. Still, BotW did obviously take a few cues from Bethesda's games (I wish I could find a source for that, but as a fan of both it's really obvious in gameplay), and it is one of the few Western games (the first, I think) to get a perfect on Famitsu.

Ike's new up-air is the greatest goddamned sword move in the game.
I love how he just slaps you across the face with this giant hunk of steel.

[Insert obligatory post about not having sword beams and complaining about how Cloud has one.]
Oh man, that looks awesome! I didn't do much scouting on the released footage, which I should so since I really want to see Squirtle's moveset overhaul (mah boi!), and I keep hearing there are new effects for the hammer and I've yet to see a video of people actually picking up items.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Alright I'm really sick of all this drama. There's too much hate being thrown around here. Hate towards Verg (I don't like him either but come on), hate towards Incineroar, Decidueye, Steve, Minecraft, Waluigi and now hate towards Uncharted appearently. There's going to be things you won't like or want in Ultimate, but it's still going to be a fantastic game regardless. Why don't we focus on positives for once?

Go find a small detail about a character you like. It can a gameplay change, a new visual tweak, or even a sound effect you like. If for some reason there's nothing new that you love about that character, then mention something you loved about them in Smash 4.

I'll start. Charizard's new run animation is really nice. Rather then flying strait like an arrow he now dips up and down while flying in an almost snake-like way. It may be a bit jarring seeing it get cancled into a grounded move, but it's definitely worth getting used to. As much as I love Sm4sh Zard's run animation, I'll admit it was a bit stiff and lifeless. This new fluid animation far better conveys how fast Charizard's run really is and helps bring the character to life.
:ultolimar: - Back in Smash 4, he had his forward tilt changed to the Rocket Fist, which is pretty great.
:ultmarth: - His hair got fixed and HE FINALLY GOT HIS ENGLISH VOICE. I was so worried they'd keep him Japanese-only due to "tradition" despite the fact that Yuri Lowenthal's been voicing him for several years now.

:ultchrom: - Where do I even begin? Even as an echo, the amount of love put into him is astounding. The fact that he doesn't throw Falchion upward while performing his up special, unlike Ike with Ragnell, and instead does a grounded hit is great attention to detail, since he doesn't throw his sword during the Two Falchions cutscene the move is inspired by. And Awakening Aether is a perfect recreation of, well, Awakening's version of Aether, and is hands down my favorite Final Smash. The fact that Chrom has by far the most amount of differences from the character he's echoing just makes me so happy. They pulled out all the stops. Anything can change, friends.

D

Deleted member

Like, I know it happened, but wasn’t it only a few people, rather than the alleged, “entire Waluigi fanbase”?
Sakurai is making the biggest game of his life as a way to thank the fans, and this is how we repay him? Hell, I won't be surprised if he removes the Waluigi assist trophy from the game!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Then for the sake of consistency I hope you feel the same way about Ashley and Rayman.

It was literally one guy and his friend, dude.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I really don't know what games are popular where, but I can't imagine Sakurai as the kind of person who will only add Japanese releases because of xenophobia or some manufactured language barrier. K.Rool turned out great, and Gregg and Steve Mayles were just as shocked and happy as we were.

Minecraft definitely. That's a worldwide thing.

I'll always plug Skyrim, but I don't know more than rumors about its popularity. Still, BotW did obviously take a few cues from Bethesda's games (I wish I could find a source for that, but as a fan of both it's really obvious in gameplay), and it is one of the few Western games (the first, I think) to get a perfect on Famitsu.

Oh man, that looks awesome! I didn't do much scouting on the released footage, which I should so since I really want to see Squirtle's moveset overhaul (mah boi!), and I keep hearing there are new effects for the hammer and I've yet to see a video of people actually picking up items.
PushBlock Gaming did a pretty nice analysis on PT’s moveset in Ultimate, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who harassed Sakurai over Rayman?
Not Sakurai in this case, but Artsy Omni, who made the Rayman leak. Someone posted a death threat directed toward him on the Rayman support thread of this very website.

If one person is enough to tarnish a whole fanbase, one can't pick and choose which fanbases to apply it to.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
one of the rare Mega Man gameplays...:ultpit: has more than he does somehow

If Ike gets to be high tier, so must Oit
Unless his killpower was significantly buffed than just buffed in some areas, maybe?

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'll play, and for fun, I'll limit myself to one per franchise.

Dixie Kong. (DK series)

Stage: Sword Valley (Xenoblade Chronicles) (travels across the sword's blade to Galahad, then falls off the edge of the fortress, where a mysterious red light (Meyneth) carries the stage back to the sword's embedded section. During the traveling, a Fortress Mechon and sometimes some smaller Mechon will appear as stage hazards.)

Ultra-Bitter Spray/Super Spicy Spray (Pikmin): the bitter spray freezes all nearby enemies in stone, making them take reduced damage but disabling them for a few seconds. The spicy increases the knock back of all the user's moves by 30% for 10 seconds.

Assist Trophy: Tiki (Fire Emblem). Appears and turns into a dragon, shooting blasts of magic at nearby enemies, and increasing her summoner's damage output by 20% when they're standing near her. Attacking her can turn her back into human form, where afterwards she can be KOed.

Poke Ball: Golisopod. (Pokemon, duh) He dishes out First Impression, a nearly unavoidable warp strike. He will then perform Razor Shell attacks until he's attacked a few times, in which Emergency Exit will activate, making him disappear but producing a windbox.

Boss: Zant (Legend of Zelda). A multi-stage boss fight against Zant with his crazy battle theme. Like Master Core, his pattern and attacks go through phases after he takes some damage.

Music: Opening Sequence/Bombing Mission (Final Fantasy VII).

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know what? Screw it, I need to vent this out and I don’t care if anyone opposes it.

I absolutely hate this double standard between Waluigi and Ashely fans where people think it’s okay to bash Waluigi and his actual fanbase and paint as harassers over the actions of two idiots.

Yet, when a small minority of Ashely fans cause the same toxic behavior, people immediately come to their defense saying “Not all Ashely fans!”

Oh really? Where’s “Not all Waluigi fans!” then? Seriously, don’t paint one community as toxic if the other is doing no better.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Sakurai is making the biggest game of his life as a way to thank the fans, and this is how we repay him? Hell, I won't be surprised if he removes the Waluigi assist trophy from the game!
I would. It wouldn’t really make any sense if he did that.

Also, that doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Unless his killpower was significantly buffed than just buffed in some areas, maybe?
Or they nerfed the half of the Smash 4 top tiers and half the high tiers...then Pit and Ike will move up the competitive corporate ladder

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Which is why I'll be mad if Dixie doesn’t get in. She deserves the same treatment.
I'll be honest, I don't think she's getting in the main game, but I can easily see her as DLC down the line.

link2702

Smash Champion
I asked this awhile back in the geno boards but I figure it could also be good to ask in general (and just to get the conversation away from blog, box , and music theories for awhile)

Suppose your most wanted character gets in as playable, but they have a playstyle that you just absolutely can’t stand, even if you can use them effectively at it, it’s a style you just don’t enjoy at all, would you still dedicate yourself to playing the character? Either competitively or casually? Or would you just be relieved and overjoyed that your favorite character got in and not really use them much?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'll be honest, I don't think she's getting in the main game, but I can easily see her as DLC down the line.
Hey man.

"Anything can change."

She should be in the base game, without a doubt. Her being DLC would be somewhat disappointing but acceptable long term. But we won't need that. Hopefully.

D

Deleted member

Been looking through some Smash Ultimate stuff on my timeline; characters, relistening to the new music. Everytime I see stuff or thoughts on the game, I'm pretty happy. ...Then I saw this.

"For a while, I really didn’t believe Sora will ever be in Smash Bros... but as time goes by, I now think Sora genuinely has a strong shot to get into Ultimate. Probably more than Geno. Especially since Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out a month after Smash Ultimate."

...what the **** did I just read.png

CALL ME STEVIE WONDER, BECAUSE I CANNOT SEE ANY TRUTH THESE REASONINGS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
We've seen nothing to deconfirm her yet and she's a lot more requested than Chrom and Dark Samus

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Mine would be:

-Rex and Pyra
-Banjo Koozie
-Heihachi
-Tails
-Monster Hunter
-Ayumi Tachibana
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Black Knight
-Black Shadow
-Elma
-Medusa

3 unique fighters, 3 echo fighters. Perfectly balanced.

Last edited:

bbybae

Smash Cadet

right, the entire Waluigi fanbase

just kidding i love him too

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Which is why I'll be mad if Dixie doesn’t get in. She deserves the same treatment.
I have to wonder if they're going to give Dixie the Isabelle treatment or the Chrom/DS treatment if/when she makes it in.

I'm hoping Isabelle isn't just an exception due to her popularity as a character and that we have almost entirely unique newcomers even despite the sharing of body-type.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Character: Deathborn

Stage: Tazmilly Village

Item: Jump Pad (From F-Zero) [Basically it propells you forward by a lot and gives you a short hop, allowing you to do Wham a knee in at high speeds!]

Assist Trophy: Caveman (Wario Ware DIY) [A more chaotic version of the devil, can rotate the stage and flip it]

Pokeball Pokemon: Cofagrigus (entombs opponets inside and deals damage to them, can only trap one opponet)

Boss: Octostomp

Music: Primal Dialga
Character: Medusa (Since Banjo is likely DLC)
Stage: Gangplank Galleon
Item: Coconut Gun (Why the Banana Gun?)
Assist Trophy: N/A
Pokeball Pokemon: N/A
Boss: Kanden, Noxus, Spire, Sylux, Trace and Weavel

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Been looking through some Smash Ultimate stuff on my timeline; characters, relistening to the new music. Everytime I see stuff or thoughts on the game, I'm pretty happy. ...Then I saw this.

"For a while, I really didn’t believe Sora will ever be in Smash Bros... but as time goes by, I now think Sora genuinely has a strong shot to get into Ultimate. Probably more than Geno. Especially since Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out a month after Smash Ultimate."

View attachment 166856

CALL ME STEVIE WONDER, BECAUSE I CANNOT SEE ANY TRUTH THESE REASONINGS.
We're gonna need to talk about your Brawl video when you mentioned Lucario as a replacement for Mewtwo though lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom