• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Base:
Unique Fighters:
Bandana Dee
Elma
Geno
Incineroar
Isaac
Chorus Kids

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Ken
Shadow

DLC:
Unique Fighters:
Banjo-Kazooie
Fire Emblem rep
Rayman
Tails
Rex & Pyra
Spring Man

Echo Fighters:
Black Shadow
Felix
Medusa

I think this would please more people.
But Octoling... :c I can easily see Octoling being an easy dlc echo

Shroob

Sup?
Never said Belmont was likely, in fact even said he was surprising. Ridley was also unlikely. The point is that this was just your garden-variety, far-fetched, "yeah right" "leak" that turned out to be true because Sakurai is catering exactly to this fanbase.

Isabelle's mega popular in Japan, not sure what your point is.

I've predicted Incineroar since March, so him getting that right wouldn't be the crux. It would add more credibility since obviously he will have gotten another character right, but it still wouldn't convince me 100%.
So basically, you've made it so that even if he gets every character from his 'predictions' in, you'll still call "Easy guesses"

Yeah, that's fair. /s

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
ugh.. wait what Steve is being leaked by credible leakers? Granblue... something may happen? Square enix hell?

Honestly though..if beside ken and incineroar we got 3 newcomers in Steve, Geno and Granblue gal...... dude... they may literally leave everyone happy?
Geno will have the old farts, nostalgia hardcore dudes happy, steve would leave the younger and more youtuber oriented happy and grandblue would get all the asian casual market in one swoop...

I think i cannot think of another combianation of 3 characters able to rally such a huge demographic :s I don't think this is real (obviously, plus i would for Isaac rather than geno) but if is real... i cannot literally see a more genius marketing move like... ever :S

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So who's your Smash Bros waifu?
Ummm... Have we really stooped so low to discussing waifus?
Female Corrin, Rosalina,
Base:
Unique Fighters:
Bandana Dee
Elma
Geno
Incineroar
Isaac
Chorus Kids

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Ken
Shadow

DLC:
Unique Fighters:
Banjo-Kazooie
Fire Emblem rep
Rayman
Tails
Rex & Pyra
Spring Man

Echo Fighters:
Black Shadow
Felix
Medusa

I think this would please more people.
Chorus Kids? In Base???
You get an A+

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Never said Belmont was likely, in fact even said he was surprising. Ridley was also unlikely. The point is that this was just your garden-variety, far-fetched, "yeah right" "leak" that turned out to be true because Sakurai is catering exactly to this fanbase.

Isabelle's mega popular in Japan, not sure what your point is.

I've predicted Incineroar since March, so him getting that right wouldn't be the crux. It would add more credibility since obviously he will have gotten another character right, but it still wouldn't convince me 100%.
Then what does "moot since the Brawl days" even mean???

My point is that the roster plan was finalized in 2015. Isabelle obviously was not prominent during the Ballot, and you seem to be implying it's based off the Ballot. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Truthfully if Incineroar is in and I still see this argument of "Vergeben is just a phony" I really can't help you there. Even with Ken and an SE rep, and Minecraft content-how about then?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Who's ready for the argument for people to rip into each other? I know I am!

Theres boutta be a fight.gif

Are we still doing the thing where Sakurai said there's just a few more fighters to reveal, and we are listing 13?
Kind of. Now it's discussing the leaks with Minecraft and GranBlue of all things.

Also which SE character we're supposedly getting too.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Rate my 5 newcomers list:
Geno
Sora - Edit: Bandana Dee instead of Sora!
Dixie Kong (Unique)
Mach Rider
Shantae

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What concerns me is that I'm not sure Isabelle or Incineroar were Ballot favorites. Especially Incineroar as he didn't exist then.

Now if K. Rool, Ridley, and Geno were the unique ones decided by the Ballot?
That'd be a beautiful, beautiful end to over a decade of "the 3 kings".

Sure, repost it. I'd love to see it.
Late reply, had to get new teeth, aaaah.

I think Pokemon is the weird exception, where people just accept that there'll always be a new Pokemon no matter what. Animal Crossing made sense, considering how much of a behemoth it's been for Nintendo over the years. But aside from that, I just really can't see a franchise that either Europe or America has heard of make it in, considering how much wiggle room there can be left for more fighters. I dont think there are slots, but wiggle room definitely does exist.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There were 2 on GBC and 1 on GBA.
I kind of want to go out and find these.

I've become quite fond of terrible sidescrolling handheld games since I found Daredevil on GBA for $2. That was a grind but I'm proud to say I ****ing beat that ****.

Last edited:

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
How about now as I once more updated it.

Base:
Unique Fighters:
Bandana Dee
Elma
Geno
Incineroar
Isaac
Tabuu (The Secret Character)

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Ken
Shadow

DLC:
Unique Fighters:
Banjo-Kazooie
Fire Emblem rep
Gen 8 Pokemon
Karate Joe
Rex & Pyra
Spring Man

Echo Fighters:
Black Shadow
Felix
Medusa
Octoling
Ribbon Girl
Add Dante and I'm good.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Late reply, had to get new teeth, aaaah.

I think Pokemon is the weird exception, where people just accept that there'll always be a new Pokemon no matter what. Animal Crossing made sense, considering how much of a behemoth it's been for Nintendo over the years. But aside from that, I just really can't see a franchise that either Europe or America has heard of make it in, considering how much wiggle room there can be left for more fighters. I dont think there are slots, but wiggle room definitely does exist.
Interesting points. Hope your teeth turn out good chief.

I dunno. I guess it's just a bit discouraging seeing people come out of the woodworks with "actually DQ is massive in Japan" and "Croft's the obvious choice she's an icon".

I guess the Mii Costume means nothing..??

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Do not post media-only replies.
How about now as I once more updated it.

Base:
Unique Fighters:
Bandana Dee
Elma
Geno
Incineroar
Isaac
Tabuu (The Secret Character)

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Ken
Shadow

DLC:
Unique Fighters:
Banjo-Kazooie
Fire Emblem rep
Gen 8 Pokemon
Karate Joe
Rex & Pyra
Spring Man

Echo Fighters:
Black Shadow
Felix
Medusa
Octoling
Ribbon Girl

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Well, yeah, when his only predictions left are easy guesses.
Incineroar is not an easy guess. He is probably the least well received Gen VII Starter... Everyone was Banking on Decidueye. That is, until Vergeben of all people said that the Gen VII Rep Wouldn't Be Decidueye... So if you're telling me that his predictions are easy guesses, you seem to be mistaken...

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Then what does "moot since the Brawl days" even mean???

My point is that the roster plan was finalized in 2015. Isabelle obviously was not prominent during the Ballot, and you seem to be implying it's based off the Ballot. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Truthfully if Incineroar is in and I still see this argument of "Vergeben is just a phony" I really can't help you there. Even with Ken and an SE rep, and Minecraft content-how about then?

That he's been speculated about since the Brawl days, not that he was likely.

Isabelle was an AT in 4, so not very likely to do well in the ballot that everyone had been told was for 4. Nonetheless Sakurai must have known how immensely popular Isabelle was in Japan generally.

Sure, if Ken, Incineroar, an SE rep AND Minecraft content are all in, I'll finally bite.

By the way, I am actually sorry if I've offended you, as you can tell I get hot-headed in debates like this :urg:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
"actually DQ is massive in Japan"
Dude.

This has always been truth. I'm for any Square Enix characters since they're my fav company.
But DQ is M A S S I V E in Japan, like it can beat FF without breaking a sweat from time to times.

The problem with Square is that we don't know what Sakurai can take, there SOOO many option.

Will he go and realize his """dream""" to finally make Geno?
Or will he put the bar higher after getting Mother****ing Cloud and go for another round of licencing Nightmare with DQ or KH or whatever.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Without Vergeben nobody would predict Simon and eveyone would assume Decidueye would be playable.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That he's been speculated about since the Brawl days, not that he was likely.

Isabelle was an AT in 4, so not very likely to do well in the ballot that everyone had been told was for 4. Nonetheless Sakurai must have known how immensely popular Isabelle was in Japan generally.

Sure, if Ken, Incineroar, an SE rep AND Minecraft content are all in, I'll finally bite.

By the way, I am actually sorry if I've offended you, as you can tell I get hot-headed in debates like this :urg:
All's well my friend. Thank you for apologizing, though no need to worry, I am just fine.

Thing is, numerous characters have been speculated since Brawl. Simon wasn't even the most prominent; far from it. Nothing of the guy during 4.

I'm glad to hear you'll change your perspective if all 4 of those get in. If they don't you can come back here and slap me :)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man, none of the "believable" leaks even bother to have Tekken characters in it.

Heihachi Manly Tear.gif

Just once give ME a stake in these ****posts, will ya?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Interesting points. Hope your teeth turn out good chief.

I dunno. I guess it's just a bit discouraging seeing people come out of the woodworks with "actually DQ is massive in Japan" and "Croft's the obvious choice she's an icon".

I guess the Mii Costume means nothing..??
I never thought that Lara was likely but I remember arguing that she was an icon pre-E3. Pretty much everyone knows Lara Croft, she's more iconic than most of the Smash roster bar behemoths like Mario and Pikachu.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
>Easy guesses

Yep, that's going to be a yikes from me, dawg.
In a bizarre world where he's just that good at predicting the roster then I'm still willing to listen to him, because clearly he's in tune with how Sakurai thinks lol.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Dude.

This has always been truth. I'm for any Square Enix characters since they're my fav company.
But DQ is M A S S I V E in Japan, like it can beat FF without breaking a sweat from time to times.

The problem with Square is that we don't know what Sakurai can take, there SOOO many option.

Will he go and realize his """dream""" to finally make Geno?
Or will he put the bar higher after getting Mother****ing Cloud and go for another round of licencing Nightmare with DQ or KH or whatever.
Dudette* :)

That wasn't my point. I'm aware DQ is massive. But it's discouraging seeing it come out of nowhere like this. I dunno. I'm just a rabid Geno fan, don't worry about it.

Though why do you keep calling it a licensing nightmare?

I never thought that Lara was likely but I remember arguing that she was an icon pre-E3. Pretty much everyone knows Lara Croft, she's more iconic than most of the Smash roster bar behemoths like Mario and Pikachu.
See above. Not my point.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My Smash waifu. Well...The avatar and my Ultimate main should indicate that. ;)

If it comes to a female character though. I suppose Rosalina especially being fond of the headcanon of mine where she's Luca's adoptive mother which the idea of it I love very much.

Though there's also Samus too. I guess its a toss-up between those two.

That'll probably change though if Medusa makes the cut and so I can then support of crack pairing of King K. RoolxMedusa. Although even if she still doesn't make it in. I'll still ship it.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I made an entire comprehensive post... what, 2 days ago? Where I gave all my reasoning and you failed to critique it, I'll re-post it and see if you wanna give it another try or if you just wanna go round in circles for another 5 pages or so.

I'll also include this quote from Mr. Nintendo:

Verg is nothing special.
Yeah, this is definitely something to keep in mind guys.
Despite Verge's 100% credible record so far, he still didn't get 100% of the newcomers introduced into the game. You can speculate on why, but that's what the fact is.

So in no way would I say Verge's claims are the death nail on the game.
Don't get me wrong, it's likely to happen, but don't take it as that's all it is.
I dunno man.
Ryu's got a simple yet flashy design with the bright red on pure white. And his moveset is pretty unique looking with the animations.
Snake looks like a normal person, but he isn't dressed like one. And his moveset is all explosives and gadgets, that's awesome.
Lara looks and is dressed like a normal woman, and she uses normal weapons in a normal way. That's boring. She bores me.
You're talking about character design and appearance though.
Snake is literally dressed in a skintight catsuit, with holsters, and a bandanna.
It's a practically plain design with no color variation.
Same goes with Ryu, he wears a white gi and a simple bandanna with fighter's gloves.
The only striking thing is the color of prominent red clashing with the white.
Aside from those simple designs, which they fundamentally are, it's the moveset and iconography that makes the character spark.

Same goes for Lara, we don't know what moveset she can entail. Sakurai could literally ditch the guns and rely on any other aspects.
Snake has a generic and realistic moveset compared to the majority of the cast. He also doesn't typically use explosives constantly in his home games, and uses realistic firearms realistically in his home games.
However, Sakurai and his team found a way to make the character engaging in the frame of Smash Bros. Same goes for Lara Croft, she could have a moveset that we wouldn't even see from a mile away.

Like I get that you don't personally like the character, I mean there's some popular ones that I rather just straight up not see.

But this is Smash Bros., we're talking about.
Any character can be envisioned with a moveset, you can't just write their potential off as saying they're "boring" when we've been shown otherwise with many others.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Though why do you keep calling it a licensing nightmare?
Square-Enix being Square.
SUPPOSEDLY, they will need an "ok" from Toriyama kinda like Disney needing "ok" from Nomura.
Composer is a well known ass when it comes to his Music.

The fact that we get ANYTHING else Square is a miracle

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Square-Enix being Square.
SUPPOSEDLY, they will need an "ok" from Toriyama kinda like Disney needing "ok" from Nomura.
Composer is a well known *** when it comes to his Music.

The fact that we get ANYTHING else Square is a miracle
Wait, why are we concerned about Toriyama for a CHARACTER rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom