• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Interesting points. Hope your teeth turn out good chief.

I dunno. I guess it's just a bit discouraging seeing people come out of the woodworks with "actually DQ is massive in Japan" and "Croft's the obvious choice she's an icon".

I guess the Mii Costume means nothing..??
I feel you, totally. People need to remember that Sakurai has made a precedent for Ultimate with being the one Smash game where he ACTUALLY listens to the fans, but there are new fighters from franchises that makes sense on a *global* scale.

I hate how people seem to think that these franchises that are huge in Japan, but haven't dropped a penny in other countries are gonna make it into the roster because "it happened before in Melee."

Yeah, it happened before where there wasn't an abundance of intellectual property to choose from. Now there are so many franchises and characters to choose from, you have to choose the ones that are notable on a global scale that everyone can know about.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Lord have mercy, I caught up! Well then things are getting exciting, but isn't this kind of alarming? This new leaker piggybacks on Verg's claims of Minecraft content being in game. YET vergeben believes his claim...I think we might have found our false info leak potentially.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm sorry I'm a bit slow.

So what I'm getting is we're concerned about Toriyama above anything...doesn't DQ cross over regularly? Nintendo made Fortune Street with them yes?
Actually, it doesn't cross over a lot.
It crossed over for Fortune Street, a FFxDQ fortune Street, FF mobile Game aaaaand probably some tiny things, but even then, they're VERY protective of it. More than FF or KH.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Base:
Skull Kid
Skull Kid with Skull Mask
Skull Kid with Majora's Mask
Skull Kid (Twilight Princess)
Banjo-Kazooie
Geno
Steve?

DLC:
Skull Kiddo (new Skull Kid design; he's smaller)
Skull Adult (another new design; he's grown up)
Skull Mario (Skull Kid with the Mario mask that can be seen on Happy Mask Salesman's bag of masks)
Skull Block (Steve? but with a Skull Kid skin)
Mallow
Herobrine (Steve semi-clone but with dark magic, traps, and fog)
Sans Undertale

-I really just expect Geno, Vergeben's characters, and maybe Steve. Hoping for Skull Kid and Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Do we even know Toriyama has the rights to DQ's characters?
Maybe not.
But When you have chara-design made by ****ing Toriyama himself, and they praise him whenever he does something, you can sure believe that they wouldn't use something without AT LEAST his blessing.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
For the love of God, why does it matter WHERE a game was made?

Yes, I know, every character in Smash sans Diddy and K. Rool were made in Japan. So what? Why does it matter if a non Japanese character makes it in? Shouldn't their impact on gaming as a whole be more important? Last I checked, Minecraft is still very popular in Japan, as it is throughout the rest of the world. Why does a game not being Japan-made turn some people off? Clashing styles? You telling me we don't have that already in a game where Solid Snake can fight K. Rool and Bayonetta can fight Isabelle?

Seriously, I don't like the idea of Steve as much as the next guy, but I still like Minecraft and will never deny its impact on gaming. This is amounting to nothing but "I don't like it, therefore it shouldn't be in Smash."

Untouch

Smash Master
Maybe not.
But When you have chara-design made by ****ing Toriyama himself, and they praise him whenever he does something, you can sure believe that they wouldn't use something without AT LEAST his blessing.
Toriyama designed the new characters for DBZF, I don't think it'd be too hard for him seeing how he has directly worked with Namco before.

Noipoi

Howdy!
For the love of God, why does it matter WHERE a game was made?

Yes, I know, every character in Smash sans Diddy and K. Rool were made in Japan. So what? Why does it matter if a non Japanese character makes it in? Shouldn't their impact on gaming as a whole be more important? Last I checked, Minecraft is still very popular in Japan, as it is throughout the rest of the world. Why does a game not being Japan-made turn some people off? Clashing styles? You telling me we don't have that already in a game where Solid Snake can fight K. Rool and Bayonetta can fight Isabelle?

Seriously, I don't like the idea of Steve as much as the next guy, but I still like Minecraft and will never deny its impact on gaming. This is amounting to nothing but "I don't like it, therefore it shouldn't be in Smash."
dark samus is western as well.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Personally I was always thought Isabelle always was the second safest bet (behind Inkling).
Had her at 90% before reveal of echoes, which boosted her 99%. the last percentage being sakurai deciding she's too peaceful.
Incineroar is not an easy guess. He is probably the least well received Gen VII Starter... Everyone was Banking on Decidueye. That is, until Vergeben of all people said that the Gen VII Rep Wouldn't Be Decidueye... So if you're telling me that his predictions are easy guesses, you seem to be mistaken...
Timing meant popularity wouldn't matter for the gen 7 pokemon, and in japan the opinon on the gen 7 starter differ (Deciueye is the least popular fully evolved ones). Both Decidueye and and Incineroar screams of personality and moveset potential, and honestly Sakurai seems like someone that would prefer the wrestler cat to archer bird.
Without Vergeben nobody would predict Simon and eveyone would assume Decidueye would be playable.
I would argue that hadn't he leaked it before that, people would have predicted Simon after Snake's return and Bomberman disconfirmation.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I feel like Isabelle and Steve aren't really that comparable at all.

Not advocating one over the other. Just saying I don't see the similarity.
Steve is more of a less charming cross between Villager and Miis. I have no idea why we're discussing him tbqh.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Curious, Steve would be our first ever PC charcter huh? As far as origin goes.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Why is everyone Mad at Steve's possible inclusion? Sakurai has been Spoiling Us...
He's already given us fan favorites like :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool:
So you might as well Deal with

Curious, Steve would be our first ever PC charcter huh? As far as origin goes.
Yup, and our First indie Character, First Western Third Party Character and Our First Swedish Character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom