• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
So going by this "leak":
- Black Knight
- Black Shadow
- Dixie Kong
- Geno
- Incineroar
- Ken
- Mach Rider
- Shadow
- Steve
- Vault Boy

No way in hell we got this much left lol.

But I like making arbitrary lists.
>Vault Boy as a character
>Shantae as an AT
Yup, it's fake.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
doubt it. brawl was delayed for sonic and i imagine to avoid something like that happening again, 3rd parties are treated as top priority during development. SE rep is 100% base roster and the box theory is bull.
So let me get this straight:

The box theory has evidence to derive a conclusion that, while still only a hypothesis, has a tangible reason for existing.
The SE rep, so far unnamed, is rumored by a leaker with no evidence to back up the claim.
This SE rep can't possibly be DLC, because Cloud in Smash 4 apparently didn't happen, and so it's "100% base roster".

Therefore the box theory is bull.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding your argument.

Last edited:

StoneMask

Smash Cadet
Imagine, if you have the energy, a reality in which Thanos has used the reality stone to create this reality so that Marvel superheroes originated from video games and Nintendo owns them. Who are your top Marvel characters for Smash? Mine are:
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's hard for me to trust Prima guides after their Brawl guide said Meta Knight was on par with Ganondorf.

Their Ultimate guide could flat out say Rayman is playable and I'd still have a hard time believing it.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Imagine, if you have the energy, a reality in which Thanos has used the reality stone to create this reality so that Marvel superheroes originated from video games and Nintendo owns them. Who are your top Marvel characters for Smash? Mine are:
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut
Spiderman
Wolverine
The Punisher
Shuma Gorath

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Prima Guide for KotOR 2 had an entire section on a part that wasn't even in the game

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
When it comes to Verg and the Box, there is nothing to imply ANYTHING about the Squre Enix character.

We don’t know if it truly exists, we don’t know if it’s on base roster, nor do we know if its DLC. To say otherwise is jumping to conclusions.

As i’ve said, considering Verg couldn’t instantly say the “box theory” wasn’t worth looking into, I think it’s fair to call the idea of the Square Enix character, if they exist, are base game, or DLC, into question.

Really though, i’m starting to hope Nintendo plans on revealing stuff again soon because this is already painful. Like, I have a feeling the box tells us more than we think. I don’t WANT that to be it, and I hope i’m wrong, but I just have this feeling based on the information.

If we get more characters, then that’s exciting. It will be a wonderful surprise. But I simply won’t be terribly surprised if it turns out Ken and Incineroar are it.
At that point, I just feel any character could be interchangable.
After all, we didn't actually know who the Pokémon was. Nor do we actually know if Ken is actually getting in the game.
That's how leaks and speculation are, unless we have damning evidence for it, it's always going to be in question. Like after all, we didn't even think that Isabelle would be a unique fighter. Nor did we even actually know about the inclusions of Chrom, Richter, and Dark Samus.
I just think that even assuming that, while using Verge's claims as fact or evidence for the box theory, is counterproductive as there is no true reason to speculate that.
I'm not denying it as a possibility or even if it's real, it's just more or less a prediction at that point.

I'm just saying not to disregard an aspect only because it helps a theory.
Because at that point, it completely kills the point you were trying to make.
It makes the argument come across as flawed and baseless, unless there's reasonable evidence to back it up. And at this point in time, there's nothing to suggest it.
All in all, I'm keeping my expectations low regardless.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut
Smeagol with a Golum down b transformation

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is no leakers that are reliable saying there is any more characters that debunk the box theory.

All verg's statement fit with the box theory

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's hard for me to trust Prima guides after their Brawl guide said Meta Knight was on par with Ganondorf.

Their Ultimate guide could flat out say Rayman is playable and I'd still have a hard time believing it.
Prima guides are bad to use for fighters because they're made by game testers and journalists before the game even releases. These aren't fighting game "pros", and they can't account for the meta that hasn't happened yet. But they don't get things like roster inclusions and unlockables wrong.

Remember that when Brawl first released, Metaknight wasn't initially top tier. He quickly rose to that spot, but initially, Snake was seen as the top tier character, and MK had concerns about total damage output. No one can perfectly predict how a fighting game will turn out after it's actually in the hands of players.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys if Box Theory is true. Isabelle obviously fits next to King K. Rool. Then the last three (Assuming the other side has the same two spaces) has Ken, Geno and Incineroar.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Guys if Box Theory is true. Isabelle obviously fits next to King K. Rool. Then the last three (Assuming the other side has the same two spaces) has Ken, Geno and Incineroar.
The box theory only leaves room for 2 (3 ONLY if you could the spot FOR Isabelle)

Ken and Incineroar.

Which means the SE character would be DLC if there is one

Last edited:

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
There is no leakers that are reliable saying there is any more characters that debunk the box theory.

Did I miss him back tracking on the SE rep? I know he waffled on it as to wether it's dlc or base roster but he never confirmed or deconfirmed the status of the SE rep right? Meaning there's still potential for a box theory debunk right?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I love how the music theory picked up some credibility, yet people are still talking about this stupid box. Don't even care if it's real or not at this point. I just feel like we've completely exhausted this conversation.

Oh well. At least I can bring up the music theory without sounding like a lunatic.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut
Tough question since there are a lot of Marvel characters I like

But I narrowed it down to these five

- Ms. Marvel (Carol)
- Dr. Doom
- Adam Warlock
- Cyclops
- Black Panther

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Debatable, based on the nature of Verg not knowing what's DLC and what isn't. Verg is also likely to not have all the information about any characters aside from the ones he's mentioned. He had absolutely zero idea about K. Rool for instance. No one did.

But again, leakers besides Verg have hardly been credible, and *if* all of this is true, why are any of us even here? Answer me that. The roster is already fine, but if people sit here and say "Oh well, only two more characters and they aren't interesting." then there's nothing to discuss. Discussion about other newcomers gets shut down, and discussion of the "upcoming" ones is nonexistent because no one cares about them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The box theory only leaves room for 2 (3 ONLY if you could the spot FOR Isabelle)

Ken and Incineroar.

Which means the SE character would be DLC if there is one
I'm still incline to believe were getting a rounded 70 unique fighters. Only time will tell when we get to that point though.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did I miss him back tracking on the SE rep? I know he waffled on it as to wether it's dlc or base roster but he never confirmed or deconfirmed the status of the SE rep right? Meaning there's still potential for a box theory debunk right?
My point is that Verg didn't debunk it because he said it's possible the SE character could be DLC

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
what evidence is there for her being an assist
She just doesn't seem high Priority to to me... If Shovel Knight didn't make it in, Pretty sure Shantae Didn't... Besides, we know we have a super limited roster space... I just don't see it happening...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut
Spiderman, Captain America, Dormammu, Ghost Rider, She-Hulk, Thor, Magneto, Black Panther, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Magneto, Rogue, Ultron and Green Goblin/Hobgoblin

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I especially don't see Shantae getting in if the DQ11 character is Jade

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Spiderman, Captain America, Dormammu, Ghost Rider, She-Hulk, Thor, Magneto, Black Panther, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Magneto, Rogue, Ultron and Green Goblin/Hobgoblin
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut
You both will be banned whenever I assume administrator position of this site.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut
Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America, Thanos, Venom, Howard The Duck, Rocket Raccoon, and Squirrel Girl

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There's always a possibility for a debunk. The SE rep doesn't necessarily need to happen to do so.

The thing that people here need to realize is that the box theory is the only guess at the final roster with tangible evidence to prove itself, but it does not guarantee anything. It's simply the best bet right now and it's hard to argue against.

It's fully possible-- but not probable-- that the box doesn't have every single character on both sides, or that the other side doesn't follow the same pattern as the side we see for some reason, but anything outside of the box theory as-is is little more than a wish until something gets confirmed to disprove it.

So yeah, maybe Geno's in. Maybe he's DLC, maybe he's not. Maybe he was a late addition and the box will change. While some are far less likely than others, all of these are possibilities.

It's just important that we, as a community and as functional adults, can discern the difference between a hypothesis based on evidence and a wish.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My point is that Verg didn't debunk it because he said it's possible the SE character could be DLC
I think that's more or less Verge trying to make sense as to why this SE character wouldn't be on the box. There's a huge difference between saying, "It's a DLC character," and "Maybe it's not there because it's DLC?"

In other words, Verge is just as confused as we are.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Thanos
Adam Warlock
Carnage
Thor
Juggernaut
Spider-Man, Iron Man, Loki, Captain Marvel and Captain America.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom