• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Dante doesn't make sense at all. DMC has never been on a Nintendo console and he didn't do well on the ballot at all,
Capcom already has enough reps, if anything Dante should just be in as a costume for Ken like in Streen Fighter V.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
So I saw a decently reasonable explanation for Brawl's ending today.
Remember Brawl's big delay? Perhaps Sonic was revealed early to keep the hype up during that drought.
But that doesn't really explain Smash 4.

The DLC ended on Bayonetta (the ballot choice) and Corrin, instead of say Mewtwo who had by far one of the biggest online reactions upon reveal.

We have no precedent for Nintendo or Sakurai ending their reveals with a bang/fan favorite. They've literally never done it, I don't know why everyone is acting like it's standard procedure for them.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But that doesn't really explain Smash 4.

The DLC ended on Bayonetta (the ballot choice) and Corrin, instead of say Mewtwo who had by far one of the biggest online reactions upon reveal.

We have no precedent for Nintendo or Sakurai ending their reveals with a bang/fan favorite. They've literally never done it, I don't know why everyone is acting like it's standard procedure for them.
Oh I agree. I just wanted to point out a possible explanation for Brawl.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The two Warriors crossover games were only supervised by Nintendo, so they're kind of a grey-ish area. That said, putting incomplete characters in the game and selling them as DLC isn't something I think Sakurai would do.
I absolutely agree with that. I would doubt Sakurai to ever do that to his fans.
Just threw out a possibility that was incredibly unlikely.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Actually, this talk of sacrifices had me thinking.

In a game like Ultimate where Sakurai's philosophy seems to be sacrificing nothing and creating the most comprehensive Smash out of the 4, what's the most controversial "sacrifice"s that you personally would make to the game to get what you'd want?
I'd sacrifice the Favorite 5 in order to 100% secure my most wanted characters making it into Ultimate: Ammy, Shantae, Elma, Sora, and Lyn.

Sorry, nothing personal.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Y'know what'd be great? If Smash Ultimate has an SSE-style story mode (which I highly doubt), what if Ridley, portrayed as he is in the Metroid manga, had Isabelle as his right hand? Isabelle wouldn't be evil here, mind you, but she'd just be helping Ridley out, being too much of an airhead to know any better. That would be very entertaining.
Well, she's already working for a psychopathic dictator who's also allegedly a serial killer so I totally see it happening

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's an idea for what we could talk about. How about discussing what Ultimate fanart we'd like to see?

I'd honestly make a thread for it but considering my last threads had been ones already made I don't wanna make that mistake again...

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If Nintendo was saving the best for last, we wouldn't have seen Ridley yet. The only thing that could top that would have to be, like, Goku or something. Geno, as cool as he is, is still a niche character from an age gone by.

And who could forget the super hype secret character from Smash 3DS, Mewtoo- oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say Pittoo.

As much as I like Dark Pit and Duck Hunt, there are far worse characters to end on then a new Pokemon rep.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
If Nintendo was saving the best for last, we wouldn't have seen Ridley yet. The only thing that could top that would have to be, like, Goku or something. Geno, as cool as he is, is still a niche character from an age gone by.

And who could forget the super hype secret character from Smash 3DS, Mewtoo- oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say Pittoo.

As much as I like Dark Pit and Duck Hunt, there are far worse characters to end on then a new Pokemon rep.
And I may be an extreme minority but I'm hyped for some Ken.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Dante doesn't make sense at all. DMC has never been on a Nintendo console and he didn't do well on the ballot at all,
Can I get a source for that?

I'm just kidding of course:
There is no source for that.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Here's an idea for what we could talk about. How about discussing what Ultimate fanart we'd like to see?

I'd honestly make a thread for it but considering my last threads had been ones already made I don't wanna make that mistake again...
Sometimes I consider drawing fannart myself. I've been thinking about drawing Bowser and Squirtle standing back-to-back, arms crossed, wearing sunglasses.

I'm an okay artist, I just never actually draw anything because I'm too much of a perfectionist to meet my own standards.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I wish I could draw. I'd make ALL the Yoshi art I could imagine!!!

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Can I get a source for that?

I'm just kidding of course:
There is no source for that.
I think it's fair to assume he didn't do well on the ballot because... well... support for Dante was practically non-existent. People talked all sorts of characters up, but I never remember once hearing about Dante.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sometimes I consider drawing fannart myself. I've been thinking about drawing Bowser and Squirtle standing back-to-back, arms crossed, wearing sunglasses.

I'm an okay artist, I just never actually draw anything because I'm too much of a perfectionist to meet my own standards.
I got you, gimme a sec.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

That's the thing with art.
No one meets their own standards.

Last edited:
What if, Skull Kid was indeed a boss (Crazy but here me out) and he is scaled as a fighter, fights like a playable fighter and launches like a playable fighter?
It would be like stabbing Skull Kid supporters in the heart :p They could use his Majora's Wrath or Majora's Incarnation form tho, they're way bigger.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that the last two main roster characters are Incineroar and Ken. Certainly they’d want to end on a high note.
If the last direct is dedicated only to 'Spirit mode' (or whatever the new mode will be called) and it look epic AF i think it could create even more hype for the release than any newcomer.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Another thing has just crossed my mind...Music.

Sakurai has stated that there are (roughly) 800 tracks of music in the game not including menus and fanfares which would bring it up to 900 or so.

Now stages share music that is from the same franchise (Example: Princess Peach's Castle can play music from Delfino Plaza)

We only know a handful of tracks from the website, trailers and from the guys over at Gamexplain. (3 weeks ago they said roughly 183, which could be closer to 200 or so by now)

Soooo with more music on the way...If no new franchises get represented via stages or playable characters...

How are we getting to 800 tracks with what we have?

Are we about to get 30 tracks from Street Fighter for Ken?

Are we going to get 27 tracks from Pokemon for Incineroar?

Something does not add up...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

She may not actually be in yet but if she got in I'd love to see some art with Dixie and Zero suit, nintendo's most iconic female leads, both with blonde ponytails, maybe firing their guns while standing back to back, that would be so dope.

And someone earlier brought up the idea of isabelle teaming up with ridley and someone needs to make that but with her and all of the villains, it'd just be too good.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Sakurai has stated that there are (roughly) 800 tracks of music in the game not including menus and fanfares which would bring it up to 900 or so.

Now stages share music that is from the same franchise (Example: Princess Peach's Castle can play music from Delfino Plaza)

We only know a handful of tracks from the website, trailers and from the guys over at Gamexplain. (3 weeks ago they said roughly 183, which could be closer to 200 or so by now)

Soooo with more music on the way...If no new franchises get represented via stages or playable characters...

Never really considered this.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
As weird as it is to say, I think my biggest hang up on the box theory is Shadow the hedgehog.

Now don't mistake this for bias. I hate Sonic. I wanted him to get cut in smash 4. One of the last things I actually want is more Sonic content .

That said, I would be utterly shocked if Shadow isn't in. Sonic is by far the most popular 3rd party series in smash. It's also the one that's been there the longest. Even aside from the assist trophy seemingly replaced by knuckles, I don't think there's any way Sakurai could get away with 2 Castlevania characters, 2 street fighter characters, and still only 1 Sonic character.

I have immediately discredited any leak claiming to have the whole roster that doesn't include Shadow, and that's quite possibly my biggest doubt about the box theory.
This means a lot to someone who does enjoy Sonic, i'm still hoping for Shadow, I don't NEED him but I think it'd be really cool personally and I do like him.

Thank you for at least respecting that.

SonicMario

Smash Master
As weird as it is to say, I think my biggest hang up on the box theory is Shadow the hedgehog.

Now don't mistake this for bias. I hate Sonic. I wanted him to get cut in smash 4. One of the last things I actually want is more Sonic content .

That said, I would be utterly shocked if Shadow isn't in. Sonic is by far the most popular 3rd party series in smash. It's also the one that's been there the longest. Even aside from the assist trophy seemingly replaced by knuckles, I don't think there's any way Sakurai could get away with 2 Castlevania characters, 2 street fighter characters, and still only 1 Sonic character.

I have immediately discredited any leak claiming to have the whole roster that doesn't include Shadow, and that's quite possibly my biggest doubt about the box theory.
I'm a big Sonic fan myself but I never felt Shadow was a lock. I just had this weird feeling that despite the inclusion of Richter and now potentially Ken. It didn't automatically mean Shadow as going to be in at least the base game. And now quite possibly the box theory has proved I was right not to consider Shadow a lock. He might be simply saved for DLC as they wait for the general reception to Echo Fighters get to them and release him among the first Echo Fighter DLC should that happen or even just drop him and replace him with Knuckles as the AT altogether. Shadow would be profitable as DLC though if they sold him and even allow people such as yourself who aren't fans of Sonic to simply not buy the character. (Unless echoes are going to be part of free updates, because then you'd practically have no choice heh)

Shadow isn't even the only Sonic character that could be added at this point though. There's still Tails who now has a legit chance of being an Isabelle-style Semi-clone since it was thought the only type of clone newcomers would be echo fighters but is no longer the case. Though Tails is still likely a DLC candidate. Tails and Shadow could even be a potential Sonic character DLC pack (Though if there are character packs, the first one's probably going to be Spring Man packaged with Ribbon Girl as an Echo fighter)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Same, I'm generally decent but I'm so god awful with anatomy that I usually give up pretty early on lmao

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
If the last direct is dedicated only to 'Spirit mode' (or whatever the new mode will be called) and it's epic AF i think it could create even more hype for the release than any newcomer.
I can't see an entire direct dedicated to Spirits mode. Let's go for a wild guess here and say Spirits is literally SSE 2. Does anyone think they could carry an entire direct purely on SSE 2 without spoiling the majority of the scenes? I mean the gameplay is pretty simple, what else would they really discuss.

The one thing I could see making Spirits take some time to discuss would be the unlocking characters method in it, IF it is different from SSE.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wish I could draw. I'd make ALL the Yoshi art I could imagine!!!
Same if I could draw I'd draw the very following.

-A drunken :ultkrool: hitting on Medusa much to her annoyance at a pub while other villains :ultbowser:,:ultbowserjr:,:ultdarksamus:,:ultganondorf:,:ultridley:, etc socializes.
-:ultbowser:,:ultbowserjr:,:ultdarksamus:,:ultganondorf:,:ultkrool:,:ultridley: all at a pub celebrating their inclusion in Smash raising mugs (:ultbowserjr: with chocolate milk) while other nintendo villains watches from outside through a window (Black Knight, Black Shadow, Porky Minch, Skull Kid, etc.) eagerly awaiting and hoping to be announced.
-:ultkirby:,:ultlink:,:ultmario:,:ultmarth:,:ultpit:,:ultshulk:, etc. all socializing at a cafe.
-:ultdarkpit:,:ultkingdedede:,:ultmetaknight:,:ultmewtwo:,:ultwario:,:ultwolf: socializing at a food truck stand with Waluigi being the server.
-:ultbayonetta:,:ultdaisy:,:ultinkling:,:ultjigglypuff:,:ultlucina:,:ultpalutena:,:ultpeach:,:ultrosalina:,:ultsamus:/:ultzss:,:ultwiifittrainer:,:ultzelda:/:ultsheik: all having a woman's club or sleepover.
-:ultrosalina: protecting :ultlucas: from :ultbowser:,:ultbowserjr:,:ultdarksamus:,:ultganondorf:,:ultkrool:,:ultridley: who are trying to take his spirit.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman

This is a good point. Even if we do consider that series like Castlevania, Street Fighter, Mega Man, and Fire Emblem have all been shown/said to have a ton of songs (along with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and miscellaneous Nintendo games inevitably going to get a lot too) there could only be so many.

Unless we're grossly underestimating how many tracks a series could get, something just doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think we have the box on our mind that we just kind of tuckered ourselves to death with 'Love the Box!' 'NO!'

I wouldn't say this can disprove the box theory, but this can certainly put up a fight lol.
Oh yea it's definitely a valid counterpoint. You've been raising some great points. Combined with the Guzma avatar? Stick around friend!

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
You know, I get confused whenever I hear people cite Bayonetta as an underwhelming reveal. Maybe it's just bias on my part, but I remember quite a few people, myself included, wanted her in the game.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This is a good point. Even if we do consider that series like Castlevania, Street Fighter, Mega Man, and Fire Emblem have all been shown/said to have a ton of songs (along with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and miscellaneous Nintendo games inevitably going to get a lot too) there could only be so many.

Unless we're grossly underestimating how many tracks a series could get, something just doesn't fit.
There is also how Sakurai's music team is going about it, he's letting them pick what songs they want to remix, so certain series might get more than others from composer bias.

Shroob

Sup?
You know, I get confused whenever I hear people cite Bayonetta as an underwhelming reveal. Maybe it's just bias on my part, but I remember quite a few people, myself included, wanted her in the game.
I think it's just because, well..... :ultcloud: was a thing.

That and you had rabid fanbases for Wolf, Snake, KRool, Shantae, etc etc etc and all these polls that when she showed up it was "....wait, what?" kind of moment to a lot of people.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
She was a really popular request and polls proved it.

But the Smash community likes to **** on things that don't really fit certain parameters.

I mean, look at Isabelle. You'd think no one like her.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
There is also how Sakurai's music team is going about it, he's letting them pick what songs they want to remix, so certain series might get more than others from composer bias.
However thinking on how some music Sakurai could not get (RIP Final Fantasy being Expensive) it still doesn't add up.

I guess we just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom