• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Who is this? Why we believe?
Its nothing. Mimique is just a smash fan who's predicted a lot of smash content due to thinking about most of it logically.

Mimique is currently guessing Skull Kid, Geno and Banjo are all joining the roster, in addition to characters like Isaac, which if you look at the above, seems to have a good head on her shoulders about understanding what the game might include. Its all guesses though and they could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, even Master Chief has a chance at being added in Smash because of his Minecraft skin on the Switch.
Clearer than water i cannot be.
Of course Ridley had to get in at some point, it was obvious, he's the main villain from a cult Nintendo franchise with a loyal fanbase.
Cloud got in because of a small cameo, but he appread in a game that was on a Nintendo console, you can't add someone who literally has never touched a Nintendo system.
Okay, you say this, but it's really just your perspective and isn't backed up by anything because you're using definite statements from you, not Sakurai.

No one really important. Just someone who got a lot/most of their predictions for the game right so far.

Some people, for a little while, had the idea they were a leaker posing as a regular joe or something.
Well, what happened to that idea?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I mean, even Master Chief has a chance at being added in Smash because of his Minecraft skin on the Switch.
Clearer than water i cannot be.
Of course Ridley had to get in at some point, it was obvious, he's the main villain from a cult Nintendo franchise with a loyal fanbase.
Cloud also got in because of a small cameo, but he appread in a game that was on a Nintendo console, you can't add someone who literally has never touched a Nintendo system before.
Cloud got in because of his status as a gaming icon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean
Theatrhythm was on the 3DS right

Not that that's really significant either, but it is cloud in a FF game on a Nintendo system before he was in Smash. It doesn't help his argument much though hahaha.
However, he noted that Cloud's game hasn't been on a system and he doesn't care in that particular context. Meaning that having an appearance was an afterthought(as his only thing about Cloud being there is literally "I dunno what I would've done if the situation came up where Cloud had zero Nintendo appearances".)

While it's not a FULLY requirement to have a strong relationship with Nintendo, they have to atleast release one of their games on a NIntendo system or just make a small cameo, but they gotta appear on the system regardless.
Nope, not a requirement either. That's still looking for something he never legitimately said.

Well tbf...The Final Fantasy series as a whole has shown up on Nintendo games before, and though FF7 never showed up on a Nintendo before 2019 (so just a little wait left to go) Cloud was chosen to rep both FF as a whole and his game specifically due to being the most well known character in the series
Cloud was chosen to rep an extremely major series. That had nothing to do with Nintendo.

Honestly, only Bayonetta is remotely close to a case where having ties to Nintendo is important, and possibly Geno too(well, Banjo & Kazooie are another case). The rest? Hah, no. They got in for their own merits in every way.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The difficult truth is much of the discussion and reality of the roster comes down to accept the reality that 'Everyone is here' comes at a price. Was some of my initial concern when it was originally announced that the old would overwhelm the new. Of course the question for most people comes down to how much of a problem is that and your not going to get the same answer from everyone on the matter.

Kinda odd we've yet to get a update on the blog yet

The Japanese Twitter is showing Isabelle main post.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Okay, you say this, but it's really just your perspective and isn't backed up by anything because you're using definite statements from you, not Sakurai.
Well, no adding movie
Cloud got in because of his status as a gaming icon.
Well, no adding movie or cartoon characters isn't a hard rule either, so where's Popeye in Smash?
>inb4 "but it's too obvious they can't be in Smash"
Provide me the source where Sakurai explicitly said "No cartoon or movie characters in Smash"

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Consider the following:
The back of the box has 16 characters on it: The OG 8, and their respective echos. Yes, all of them get echos now.
More news at 11.
This was a joke, but I just wanna be annoying and represent it graphically (With the emoticons)

BACK
:ultmario:[Uh... Charles Martinet]:ultdk:[Funky Kong]:ultlink:[Linkle]:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
:ultyoshi:[Boshi]:ultkirby:[Gooey]:ultfox:[Peppy?]:ultpikachu:[...Dedenne?]​
Right
:ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy:
:ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw:
:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake:
:ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina:
:ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:
:ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool:[Isabelle][?]​
Left
:ultzelda::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina:
:ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy:
:ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob:
:ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt:
:ultryu::ultcloud:[?][?][?][?] <- Scatter anywhere on left, you can just shift characters around lol nobody who buys the box is gonna care

The most important thing to take away from this is that I made you look at it.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
YOU give me the source where Sakurai stated "Absolutely no movie or cartoon characters in Smash"
Fam why are you suddenly turning this on me?
All I'm asking for is a simple source from Sakurai where he states "you can't include characters in Smash who aren't from Nintendo" which you have been using to back up your arguments for a few posts now.
I can't give you that source, because I don't recall him ever stating it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Man seeing fan art like this really really really really makes me miss Subspace:

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
YOU give me the source where Sakurai stated "Absolutely no movie or cartoon characters in Smash"
Sakurai doesn’t have to state Jack. He just chooses what he wants and what seems right to him and the fans.

There is no book of rules and regulations. There are no real rules. Sakurai can do as he wishes at anytime so long as Nintendo allows it and he thinks it would work out with Smash fans. It doesn’t matter what he says previous to making an odd decision.

He isn’t haunted by the ghost of Sakurai past.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If somebody asks you for a source? It means it's up to the person making the claim to back it up, not the guy asking for the source. If you aren't willing to properly back up your claim, then your argument dies, plain and simple.

Nobody is going to inherently back up your own argument. That's on you and you alone. It's fine to perhaps tag someone to help you find the actual source, but you still need to make an effort to get the source.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Man seeing fan art like this really really really really makes me miss Subspace:

That's lovely, and to be honest the one thing I want more than any character is the ability to watch the characters interact again. (I mean, like... besides combat.)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This artists posted another beautiful one where it's Simon protecting Pichu from a bunch of goons.
I love it. So much.

This is why Spirits has gotta be a story mode.
I wish someone would make fanart of Rosalina protecting Lucas from Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dark Samus, Ganondorf, King K. Rool and Ridley who all are trying to take his spirit.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
About 80 days left until the game launches....

And us with no idea if we'll get a Direct in October.

........gonna be a long month.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
All I'm asking for is a simple source from Sakurai where he states "you can't include characters in Smash who aren't from Nintendo"
Characters who are FROM Nintendo =/= Characters that appear on Nintendo systems
Sorry if i seemed rude, but it's just TOO OBVIOUS that the character has to have some form of cameo in a game released on a Nintendo console, it doesn't have to be made by Nintendo, but the character just has to make a small cameo to be even considered to be in Smash

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I wish someone would make fanart of Rosalina protecting Lucas from Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dark Samus, Ganondorf, King K. Rool and Ridley who all are trying to take his spirit.
Rosalina is the best mom. I love her. All the possibilities!

Sorry if i seemed rude, but it's just TOO OBVIOUS that the character has to have some form of cameo in a game released on a Nintendo console, it doesn't have to be made by Nintendo, but the character just has to make a small cameo to be even considered to be in Smash
I don't know how to make it more clear that I do not care about your opinion, I care about you citing your sources. And I don't mean to be rude either. Just trying to teach you why you can't make these concise statements like they're fact due to your opinion.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If it's obvious it should be easy to substantiate, right? :4pacman:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yeah. You can believe that. But it’s not a rule.
Sakurai could change his mind any time.
That’s all. It’s a subjective debate.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
:ultmario:: Metal Mario (inherits Doc's old role as Mario's clone and is a sick reference to Smash 64). He'd be unique as he'd basically be a heavyweight with a rather small hitbox, relative to the other heavies.
:ultdk:: Funky Kong. Totally obvious choice outside of maybe DK Jr, which would also be cool.
:ultlink:: Not gonna lie I don't feel 4 Links happening but if all 8 need. I don't know if Urbosa could work as an echo? There's a similar enough shape, though she is pretty tall. It'd need to be a BotW character because of the bombs and she's the only option with a sword.
:ultyoshi:: Birdo is the only choice. Just give it Dedede inhale instead of egg lay.
:ultkirby:: Gooey because I don't want people telling me Bandana Dee can't be the echo
:ultfox:: Pick any Starfox character
:ultpikachu:: Emolga would be pretty cool and it's the best Pika clone

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I love the suprisimg amount of artwork with Snake and Isabelle teaming up, Animal Crossing and Metal Gear are my two favorite franchises in smash.

On the topic of sub-space, while I don’t know what Spirits mode entails, I have a faint hope that maybe a few years down the line that a story centered smash spin-off game gets made.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
If it's obvious it should be easy to substantiate, right? :4pacman:
Yeah. You can believe that. But it’s not a rule.
Sakurai could change his mind any time.
That’s all. It’s a subjective debate.
Fine.... i have no source, Sakurai only said that "he hoped to include certain important game characters who had appeared on a Nintendo console as a “courtesy” while still maintaining the freedom to alter said characters for the needs of Smash."

Now, if you excuse me, i'm leaving before i embarrass myself even more

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Fine.... i have no source, Sakurai only said that "he hoped to include certain important game characters who had appeared on a Nintendo console as a “courtesy” while still maintaining the freedom to alter said characters for the needs of Smash."

Now, if you excuse me, i'm leaving before i embarrass myself even more
No you aren't. Come here. I'm giving you an internet hug right now. Thank you for understanding where we were coming from and learning a bit from it.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know what'd be great? If Smash Ultimate has an SSE-style story mode (which I highly doubt), what if Ridley, portrayed as he is in the Metroid manga, had Isabelle as his right hand? Isabelle wouldn't be evil here, mind you, but she'd just be helping Ridley out, being too much of an airhead to know any better. That would be very entertaining.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Y'know what'd be great? If Smash Ultimate has an SSE-style story mode (which I highly doubt), what if Ridley, portrayed as he is in the Metroid manga, had Isabelle as his right hand? Isabelle wouldn't be evil here, mind you, but she'd just be helping Ridley out, being too much of an airhead to know any better. That would be very entertaining.
I'm kinda rooting for an ambiguously antagonistic Isabelle tbh

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Isabelle: 'Whew this was a lot to clean and organize. What should I do next?"
Ridley: "SCREEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Isabelle: Unfazed "...Alright! I'll get on it!"

Someone make this happen please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom