• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Quick question, outside of possibly Ken.
(I mean we all figure he's an echo fighter, but I'm going to start laughing my ass off if he isn't considered one)
Has Verge ever leaked anyone that is an echo fighter?
Because he's leaked everyone else, but the only unique character he missed, correct me if I'm wrong, is K. Rool.

I just find that extremely interesting. If that's the case, is it probably because most of them are really only discussed internally or?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Quick question, outside of possibly Ken.
(I mean we all figure he's an echo fighter, but I'm going to start laughing my *** off if he isn't considered one)
Has Verge ever leaked anyone that is an echo fighter?
Because he's leaked everyone else, but the only unique character he missed, correct me if I'm wrong, is K. Rool.

I just find that extremely interesting. If that's the case, is it probably because most of them are really discussed internally or?
No. He has only leaked Ken.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I get the whole 9 character thing with the box theory, but what I don't understand is why they would do that. It doesn't make sense from a design standpoint.
Assuming they are going to have 36 characters on each side, the logical design choices would be:
• Mario - Snake on 1 side and the rest of the fighters after Snake on the opposite side.
• Or alternate 6 on each side. Mario - Yoshi (left), Kirby - C. Falcon (right), Jigglypuff - Sheik (left), Zelda - Lucina (right), and so on.

Does anyone have any idea why they would cut it up like they did?
My guess is they wanted the original 8 first, but since Dark Samus exists, they made it 9. Honestly I really don't think there some extreme strategic reason for why they did it this way. Its just a mock up box. We don't even know if the other side even exists. And thats the important part to note. We dont even know if this box is going to end up this way when it releases.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing is, he's gonna have different sources for each game.
False SC sources are not false Smash sources because they're totally unrelated.

Let us not forget he got an entire new original character right for SC.
I know he had Groh. But he also had a Switch release which was completely debunked. He also said "Groh's dad" and there's no evidence such a character exists. There is Aswel (who he never named), but no relationship with Groh has yet been established.

Meanwhile he listed the rest of the roster and some DLC, but completely missed Seong Mi-Na. And he said Raphael is not in the game, but the devs already accidentally leaked Raphael, proving that he is in the game. What I'm saying is that a lot of his RECENT info has gone up in smoke. I'm not denying at all that he has info, but that's not the argument I'm making.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This is incorrect. Just having your game or an appearance on a Nintendo system is nothing more than a courtesy. That's an old mistranslation from a long time back.

I don't see Cloud's own games on there before he got in. No, games he's related to by proxy(FF1) do not count. Nor does cameos in Kingdom Hearts games count. He had tiny cameos at best. But it's not like it matters, since there's way more to it than an arbitrary tiny appearance.
I mean
Theatrhythm was on the 3DS right

Not that that's really significant either, but it is cloud in a FF game on a Nintendo system before he was in Smash. It doesn't help his argument much though hahaha.

the quote you quoted is probably fixed already, but I just wanna quote you anyways
...View attachment 164870
You can't read, Pit.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I know he had Groh. But he also had a Switch release which was completely debunked. He also said "Groh's dad" and there's no evidence such a character exists. There is Aswel (who he never named), but no relationship with Groh has yet been established.

Meanwhile he listed the rest of the roster and some DLC, but completely forgot Seong Mi-Na. And he said Raphael is not in the game, but the devs already accidentally leaked Raphael, proving that he is in the game. What I'm saying is that a lot of his RECENT info has gone up in smoke. I'm not denying at all that he has info, but that's not the argument I'm making.
Correct. The point I was making was that I wouldn't be concerned about his validity regarding Smash leaks if he's false about other games. Just threw that last bit in on a whim.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I get the whole 9 character thing with the box theory, but what I don't understand is why they would do that. It doesn't make sense from a design standpoint.
Assuming they are going to have 36 characters on each side, the logical design choices would be:
• Mario - Snake on 1 side and the rest of the fighters after Snake on the opposite side.
• Or alternate 6 on each side. Mario - Yoshi (left), Kirby - C. Falcon (right), Jigglypuff - Sheik (left), Zelda - Lucina (right), and so on.

Does anyone have any idea why they would cut it up like they did?
So keeping all the original 8 on one side is brought up a lot, but as for why not just Mario - Snake, the best I've seen is that it allows characters from all generations of the series appear on each side, rather than containing 64 and Melee to one side and 4 to the other.

At the end of the day it's a design choice, a choice that was actively made for the mock up.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This is incorrect. Just having your game or an appearance on a Nintendo system is nothing more than a courtesy. That's an old mistranslation from a long time back.

I don't see Cloud's own games on there before he got in. No, games he's related to by proxy(FF1) do not count. Nor does cameos in Kingdom Hearts games count. He had tiny cameos at best. But it's not like it matters, since there's way more to it than an arbitrary tiny appearance.
Well tbf...The Final Fantasy series as a whole has shown up on Nintendo games before, and though FF7 never showed up on a Nintendo before 2019 (so just a little wait left to go) Cloud was chosen to rep both FF as a whole and his game specifically due to being the most well known character in the series
You can't read, Pit.
Don’t judge Pit...judge Palutena for only using him for fighting, friendship, and...whatever else she uses him for that’s nice and caring (though I did like seeing a quote gone wrong before it was fixed)

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Correct. The point I was making was that I wouldn't be concerned about his validity regarding Smash leaks if he's false about other games. Just threw that last bit in on a whim.
Exactly. Because it isn’t verg who knows this stuff. It’s his sources. His sources for SC are not his sources for Smash. Verg isn’t the real leaker. He’s the messenger.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Can we start a movement to save Tingle? Poor man hasn't been in a mainline Zelda since what seems like forever.

Tingle is basically all that Waluigi wishes he could be, so putting him as playable in Smash is the natural thing to do.
I disagree because I loathe Tingle and felt him being in Smash sticks out like a sore thumb

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

While it's not a FULLY requirement to have a strong relationship with Nintendo, they have to atleast release one of their games on a NIntendo system or just make a small cameo, but they gotta appear on the system regardless.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There has been a theme of the OG 8 getting particular notice all throughout the game. On the Switch Dock, on the main menu and on the box art (except Germany because their ratings board don't know ****!!!). So I don't think they'd have similar treatment on the Special Edition box because that would imply Dark Samus is with them and feels.... wrong

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
While it's not a FULLY requirement to have a strong relationship with Nintendo, they have to atleast release one of their games on a NIntendo system or just make a small cameo, but they gotta appear on the system regardless.
Let's see that source

There has been a theme of the OG 8 getting particular notice all throughout the game. On the Switch Dock, on the main menu and on the box art (except Germany because their ratings board don't know ****!!!). So I don't think they'd have similar treatment on the Special Edition box because that would imply Dark Samus is with them and feels.... wrong
Valid point I've yet to see raised.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace

Meanwhile he listed the rest of the roster and some DLC, but completely missed Seong Mi-Na. And he said Raphael is not in the game, but the devs already accidentally leaked Raphael, proving that he is in the game. What I'm saying is that a lot of his RECENT info has gone up in smoke. I'm not denying at all that he has info, but that's not the argument I'm making.
Everyone knows that Verge is very spotty, this was brought up frequently back when he began leaking about Smash in March. It's beyond evident that he's had various sources and has (or had) very, very poor vetting skills.

But his Smash info has been on point, and he hasn't backtracked AFAIK (unless someone has a link). Unless there's someone else, he's been among the most comprehensive leakers this time around.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Let's see that source

Valid point I've yet to see raised.
Source: common sense. Sorry if i sounded like an asshole
In that case, where's my Kratos in Smash? He hasn't been on a NIntendo console yet but he's iconic af and definitively deserves a spot in the game.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Consider the following:
The back of the box has 16 characters on it: The OG 8, and their respective echos. Yes, all of them get echos now.
More news at 11.

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, I'm fine with believing Verg to be legit.

Ken? Yeah, we have :ultrichter:, almost feels like a given having the grandaddy of all echoes here too.

Incineroar? Blame TPC for giving Ash a Litten and having Smash be their advertising vehicle.

2nd SE rep? Could be anyone, really. My heart says Geno, but my mind says new IP.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wasn't that the whole plot to Kid Icarus up rising or did i stop paying attention at some point?
Wasn’t a plot point, but it was a quick line that Pit decided to say after he thought he was gonna die
:ultpalutena: can’t even teach someone how to read...what kind of friend is she?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
That's like saying Ms. PAC-MAN should get in to rep the modding community.
...yeah, if you want to represent the modding community, I think you need a Bethesda game.

---

Regarding boxes/Vergy/etc., we may just need to wait for the next info drop for anything. If we get a Ken and/or Incineroar drop as a standalone, it makes it seems wholly unlikely that they'll do a final direct with no character announcemnt - even one unique/one echo is pushing it for a finale after August's 2 unique/3 echo.

So...are we getting a random character drop in October? Or are we stuck in this new speculation rut until November when they surprise us with a 50-fact direct?

Speaking of a potential 50-fact extravaganza again - we still know nothing about alternate modes beyond Classic. Where are the trophies? Where is the Home Run Contest (for that matter, where's the bat?)? Where is the target mode? And how amazing is All-star going to be (and how long will it take?)?

SubstituteGamer0

Banned via Warnings
Wasn’t a plot point, but it was a quick line that Pit decided to say after he thought he was gonna die
Yah i watched nairo play it and that's the only line i remember in the whole game, I think i was playing persona while watching it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...yeah, if you want to represent the modding community, I think you need a Bethesda game.
If you wanted to accurately represent Smash modding specifically, you'd use Shadow or Goku no question. I swear, you could replace Brawl's entire 35 character roster with different Shadow movesets.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
At this point, I'm fine with believing Verg to be legit.

Ken? Yeah, we have :ultrichter:, almost feels like a given having the grandaddy of all echoes here too.

Incineroar? Blame TPC for giving Ash a Litten and having Smash be their advertising vehicle.

2nd SE rep? Could be anyone, really. My heart says Geno, but my mind says new IP.
Who would the “new IP” for SE be in your mind? something like Bravely Default?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yah i watched nairo play it and that's the only line i remember in the whole game, I think i was playing persona while watching it.
Considering there’s a ****load of amazing lines in Uprising, you atleast get to remember one of the best ones

What? How are the pro-box people not going to look foolish if they turn out to be wrong? All I see are people proclaiming the box theory to be gospel, making elaborate posts "proving" their box theory. Granted, I've gone a bit overboard, not in debunking it (because there's no there there) but why it's a dumb theory. It's the Smash equivalent of numerology.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on that, '''''pro-box'''''' people are not trying to prove that the box theory is 100% right, it's literally impossible to know at this point (it'll be confirmed only by official releases), they're are usually trying to explain why the box theory should be considered. On the other hand, the ''''anti-box'''' people are trying to say we shouldn't even consider the box mainly for reason such as ''it's dumb'' or ''it's just a box''. In other words the real debate is not around ''is the box theory right?'' it's more around ''should we even consider it as a theory?''. If it happens to be true, people who just discarded it will look a bit more foolish, if it is disproved, '''''pro box''''' people have made a wrong assumption. Anti are making a statement, Pro are making an assumption. That's my understanding.

The thing is, if he isn't sure if the box theory is true, then that means he is equally if not more unsure of the Square character.
Maybe some or all the DLC characters are already decided, therefore his source could be right about the SE character and the box theory would still hold. If i remember correctly he didn't specify any dates regarding the SE character. But as you said he must be confused in the moment, i hope his sources can confirm or disprove the box theory before the next direct...

So I was staring at the box and has it been brought up that there is a typo on it?
Probably about this post i made yesterday but it was not meant to disprove the Box Theory. Just pointing out that the design was not final if anybody had doubts.

Edit: typos and wording...

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Let's see for a minute:
· Verg claims Azwel is Groh's father. Now, there isn't much proof to demonstrate so, but looking back at their trailers, Azwel has a similar "power-up" to Groh (the one with white hair and change of eye colours), and one of the story trailers (I think it was the one with the Create-A-Character quest) clearly implies that there's a relation between them. Whether this proves they're father and son, is still left in mystery.
· That statement about Raphael is wrong. What he said is that Raphael fans were "going to have some stress sweat". Even he didn't know what it meant, so he speculated that it either meant that he wasn't going to be in the game, or that he was going to be pretty terrible to play as. In the end, it wasn't either, that comment was about his design and because he's (or was) going to be the last character to be revealed.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
You're missing my point.
"Common sense" can't be used as a source for Smash Brothers.
Now get me an actual source or your argument can be scrapped.
I mean, even Master Chief has a chance at being added in Smash because of his Minecraft skin on the Switch.
Clearer than water i cannot be.
Of course Ridley had to get in at some point, it was obvious, he's the main villain from a cult Nintendo franchise with a loyal fanbase.
Cloud also got in because of a small cameo, but he appread in a game that was on a Nintendo console, you can't add someone who literally has never touched a Nintendo system before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom