• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
That is NOT a misprint and it is NOT fake.
What it could be if not a confirmation, is an assumption based on the stage select screen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never played Generation 7, but Incineroar's design is pretty tight. Would definitely choose Litten as a starter, because 1; I like cats 2; I like the fire element, and 3; Incineroar looks the coolest out of all the starters final evolutions of his generation, and that's a big enough deal to choose him. I also always liked the idea of a feline fighter in Smash, and Incineroar would be the only sensible addition for that. So yes, I'd like him.

Am also a Box-theory denier (apperantly) and won't believe the final amount of characters would be on the box. They can easily exclude a few names and it'll still look presentable. Melee also didn't have all characters on it's boxart for example, neither did Brawl or Smash 4. Not that that says much, but I have no reason to believe all the characters in the game should be on that box. People also seem to ignore that the backside and frontside of the box are much wider, thus allow for more characters to be shown than just the sides.

Anyway, I had a dream where Hyrule Warriors Impa was playable. And that felt pretty damn awesome. Am still hopeful for that to happen, despite the odds. But I would settle with a Impa Echo as well, even if it was in the Ocarina of Time design and not the Skyward Sword one.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Never played Generation 7, but Incineroar's design is pretty tight. Would definitely choose Litten as a starter, because 1; I like cats 2; I like the fire element, and 3; Incineroar looks the coolest out of all the starters final evolutions of his generation, and that's a big enough deal to choose him. I also always liked the idea of a feline fighter in Smash, and Incineroar would be the only sensible addition for that. So yes, I'd like him.

Am also a Box-theory denier (apperantly) and won't believe the final amount of characters would be on the box. They can easily exclude a few names and it'll still look presentable. Melee also didn't have all characters on it's boxart for example, neither did Brawl or Smash 4. Not that that says much, but I have no reason to believe all the characters in the game should be on that box. People also seem to ignore that the backside and frontside of the box are much wider, thus allow for more characters to be shown than just the sides.

Anyway, I had a dream where Hyrule Warriors Impa was playable. And that felt pretty damn awesome. Am still hopeful for that to happen, despite the odds. But I would settle with a Impa Echo as well, even if it was in the Ocarina of Time design and not the Skyward Sword one.
Problem with melee example.
It had secret characters and its tagline was not "everyone is here"

And it was not a special edition box designed to promote all the characters present.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
If Gen 8 happens next year Incineroar is gonna drop like a rock with only 1 year on the smash podium. Greninja had 2 years in smash before gen 7 killed his interest (and xyz finals).
Well ever since Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Incineroar has had his time to shine. Going on a year, and another year if not more until Gen8. He could still be pretty viable depending on what Gen8 brings us for Pokemon for the new meta

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That is NOT a misprint and it is NOT fake.
What it could be if not a confirmation, is an assumption based on the stage select screen.
I thought this too, and while I could see this on some gaming news site, I'd be shocked to see Coro Coro print a "guess".

Until we hear more it's either a typo (unlikely but absolutely a possibility) or an accidental leak (once again...seems unlikely. I mean the picture with the 103 stages is right there).

I don't want to hype myself too much. I was totally ok with 103 stages, but 5 more new stages is super enticing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Problem with melee example.
It had secret characters and its tagline was not "everyone is here"

And it was not a special edition box designed to promote all the characters present.
Well the everyone who was once not here are already on the boxart. So that solves that.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
108 makes total sense to me, there's 6 empty slots plus a button for "more" when DLC launches.
The stage info page on the site has 7 empty slots at the moment (kind of, there's a massive blog button covering up 7 that could be very easily moved without any problem), so adding 5 more and centering the last row would be easy.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... Assuming the final characters are Incineroar and Ken... Who will be your Smash Ultimate main?
I'm going to main Isabelle and Incineroar all the way

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Do you have proof of this?
Apologies, I framed it as a joke, but I can see how it could be taken literally. Just noticed the 3 could be turned into an 8, but makes no sense in a magazine printed with numerous copies. xD

Personally, I hope this is confirmation of more stages, it's what I had expected after watching the August Direct and being conservative in my character predictions (4 more unique characters made sense for 1-5 stages based off of new characters). However, I have to also be skeptical and accept it might be a misprint, that the August Direct was definitive in its stage count, and that we wouldn't be getting any more characters from new series that would come with new stages. That's boring, especially for speculation, but I have to check my bias and realize it's a strong possibility. CoroCoro adds a new wrinkle, though, especially if it isn't commented on.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
A bit of fun speculation: Just want to say, if the 108 stages is legit, then new stages likely will be from new franchises. Yes, Mario and Zelda both got new stages but that was likely because they had their major games release last year.

On top of this, only Simon and Inkling got stages as new franchise reps. I'd say Pokemon is likely to take one of those stages in itself because they always do.

So that would leave 4 left. My guess is after this point, the remaining 4 may be left entirely to new franchises.

My guesses are:

- Geno (Based on Vergebens SE Rep)
- Banjo (Based on Vergs info on the possibility of Nintendo and Microsoft interacting for Minecraft)
- Isaac (Golden Sun makes sense as yet another unrepresented Nintendo franchise; had it's trademarks renewed recently, but that could mean anything)
- Rhythm Heaven (Same as the above)

Additionally, Characters like Skull Kid or Bandana Dee/Magalor would likely not get stages, especially if K. Rool and Ridley did not. Any new echoes wouldn't either, that much is obvious.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Verge confirming Incineroar makes me very happy. I chose Litten in Sun and Moon because I always wanted a fire cat starter. I despised Rowlet for being the popular one, and I was scared that Decidueye could've been the Gen 7 rep. Now the tables seemed to have turned. I mean yeah, Decidueye joined the fight alongside other Pokemon in Pokken. But I'm pretty sure the much bigger honor is to join the fight alongside some Nintendo All Stars.
I like both cat and owl so i'm fine.

I would like owl for dlc tho

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So... Assuming the final characters are Incineroar and Ken... Who will be your Smash Ultimate main?
Chrom.
Yesterday I was at a Tournament with Roy, and realized how much Roy would be godlike if he didn't had his weakspot.

Chrom will solves most of Roy's glaring issues and let him be a true Swordman. And I love Chrom ever since Awakenings, his repeated appearance in Spin off and such only make it better.

Then Probably keep Cloud as a secondary Because I'm still ****ing estatic of his inclusion in Smash and still can't believe he's here when it's been almost 3 years already as he was my Ballot pick.

Now then...if only Sora was here and I would have EVERYTHING I ever wanted in smash and could die happily

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If Gen 8 happens next year Incineroar is gonna drop like a rock with only 1 year on the smash podium. Greninja had 2 years in smash before gen 7 killed his interest (and xyz finals).
Much like a big reason Greninja is lingering on is because of how good it is online, the same is gonna happen with Incineroar.

That boi is sitting with kings in online usage and isn't about to leave any time soon.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Chrom.
Yesterday I was at a Tournament with Roy, and realized how much Roy would be godlike if he didn't had his weakspot.

Chrom will solves most of Roy's glaring issues and let him be a true Swordman. And I love Chrom ever since Awakenings, his repeated appearance in Spin off and such only make it better.

Then Probably keep Cloud as a secondary Because I'm still ****ing estatic of his inclusion in Smash and still can't believe he's here when it's been almost 3 years already as he was my Ballot pick.

Now then...if only Sora was here and I would have EVERYTHING I ever wanted in smash and could die happily
Chrom has the worst recovery in the game most likely. So I expect Roy to be better than him.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Because Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's characters. And Cloud is not a Nintendo-related character. Putting him in opened the floodgates of people wanting everyone on these forums, and I preferred it when it was Nintendo-only.

Plus I'm just not very fun with these cameo characters, I guess. I still don't get why Noctis and the dude from The Walking Dead are in Tekken 7.
Its called buisness and profits. Smash originally was going to be characters who originated in Smash. Sakurai then thought that putting Nintendo characters in there would make it MARKETABLE for people to buy it. Sakurai never cared for it being about Nintendo. He changed his plans and decided to pitch it as Nintendo characters so that his bosses (NINTENDO) would sign off on the idea of Smash. Why do you think he considered James Bond if he really cared about Nintendo based characters? If Goku or wherever character (Dante) is going to be in Smash despite the hardcore fan hate; its going to be to expand the audience. Cloud, Bayonetta was added NOT because of people like you nor was they intended for you to like or enjoy. They were targeted at respective fan bases who are not familiar with Nintendo (there are a lot of FF fans who criticize Nintendo a lot; I was just in a discord for reddit FFBE). Nintendo and Sakurai wants Smash to grow and correcty realized that adding more 3rd party characters is very effective at that. Someone told me the only thing on the Switch that is worth it is Bayonetta 3.

Smash is still majority Nintendo characters anyway.

There are many things hardcore fans may want or value in that are counterproductive to actual growth or profit which is why it's good that Sakurai / Nintendo ignores that base occasionally. Its not always in their best interest to listen to them. That is just life (hardcore fans tend to get shafted in today's gaming often; look at Pokemon).

Sakurai likes to include hype characters (Cloud , Ryu, Bayo, and Snake) not to mention he also added Snake in because of a friend requested it and didn't care if he was too mature or Nintendo enough. If it were up to Hardcore fans we would not have Cloud, Snake, Bayonetta, Game & Watch, Wii Fit, Shulk (literally who? When announced), Duck Hunt, R.O.B.
Isabelle would also be an echo if it was up to them too.

DLC literally saved Smash 4 for me and that's my opinion I will still keep even if they broke the game. I'm not really a Nintendo fan btw but is into fighting games. Snake and Cloud saved me.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Chrom has the worst recovery in the game most likely. So I expect Roy to be better than him.
If That's the price to pay to get a real sword with Roy speed movement, Frame data, Smash Ultimate apparent less lag in moves and a ****ing sword?

Worth it my dude.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Maybe the people writing these articles don't care as much about smash as we do to remember the number given in the direct, and instead of watching the direct they just phoned it in and didn't copy edit. It happens.

Regarding Incineroar, I was actually one of the people that didn't hate it when it got leaked for Sun and Moon. To this day I still like it more than Decidueye. I just don't like it as much as Primarina, and I also don't really find that he would add a lot to Smash in terms of fighting-style. Bowser, Ridley, Ganondorf and Charizard being in the game means a lot of characters being bulky and having fire moves, and it's hard to imagine Incineroar being very different from those.

If, say, Primarina had been in you can't just go "another water pokemon" and truly expect it to control like greninja. It would have been different movement entirely, just by virtue of one being a ninja and the other a mermaid and having no legs. Not to mention that to one of them water type means water swords and shuriken, and to the other one water type means bubbles and remote manipulation of said bubbles. With Incineroar it's easy to go "oh, more fire moves" and feel unexcited since as a character it's hard to imagine Incineroar's fire moves being any different from, say, Ganondorf. He punches, but it's a fire punch because there was a FIRE effect... but that doesn't really change how you play the character.

I bet he'll be entertaining as a heel, no doubt about that. I was just hoping for a more unique fighting style from a series with so much potential for different movesets. It feels like Fire Emblem all over again: hundreds of possibilities and Smash just keeps double dipping on things Smash already has.
Then again, we haven't seen HOW he fights. Maybe he actually will have some unique gimmick, like pressing taunt to get a random chair from the audience and smacking the opponent's back with it. Maybe he can set the stage on fire for zoning and DoT, and have several command grabs that you can use to launch opponents at the fire. Idk, I just hope for uniqueness.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Chrom recovery is booty but I dunno about worse in the game.

That air speed and directional air dodge is gonna help him out still, he can probably recover deeper than Ike.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Good that veggieben more or less confirms the bix theory.

I still believe geno and skull kid is in tho. But as dlc for switch online users

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If we get 5 more stages I think at least 4 of them will be ones that are related to Spirits mode, like the Monster Hunter stage and other potential boss arenas, just properly fleshed out instead of being completely flat, otherwise I don't see the reason they'd hold them back. Maybe one will be for a character, but it'd have to be for Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun as far as I see it, or maybe if the SE rep is someone other than Geno.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
If there's ever DLC for Smash, I hope the DLC are free. I didn't like that you had to pay to get DLC in Smash 4.

Oh...and that box theory is unbelievable! I don't believe that theory at all!

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I still think it's very possible that DLC will be free, with online users either getting it early or getting it free while non-users have to pay a small amount for it.

D

Deleted member

Can I just say how much I don't want to see Incineroar?

He just seems like such a bland and uninteresting choice for a fighter, and would be one of the worst ways to end of the hype leading up to the release of the game. A ton of highly requested character, then Incineroar just doesn't feel right to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
> Nintendo releases Smash Ultimate Special Edition box art
> people make Box Theory because of two last open areas
> mostly everyone believes it as fact
> CoroCoro leaks official stage count to be 108
> faith has been restored

View attachment 164616
I can do that too but 100% better.

> Wonders why everyone went into panic mode from the box art AND wonders why everyone is so quick to believe 108 stages means we are getting more characters.

Cause it’s Tali and Tali is life.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If there's ever DLC for Smash, I hope the DLC are free. I didn't like that you had to pay to get DLC in Smash 4.

I guarantee you the dlc will be paid. They made bank with Smash 4 dlc.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't find "wrestling" enough of a reason, it has no interest to me, at all. And there are other Pokemon who bring something unique to the table, who are more popular, and a couple even more prominent.
Incineroar isn't even the best wrestling themed Pokemon! That's Hawlucha!
Kind of nice that Vergeben finally went all in on Incineroar. As someone who was wishing for other gen 7 pokemon, it prepares me for not really getting my hopes up.
*sigh* yeah, you're right.
"Too much fire" is about as weak of an excuse as 'too many swords' or 'too much anime'...........or 'too many anime swords'.
So...pretty valid then.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Can I just say how much I don't want to see Incineroar?

He just seems like such a bland and uninteresting choice for a fighter, and would be one of the worst ways to end of the hype leading up to the release of the game. A ton of highly requested character, then Incineroar just doesn't feel right to me.
I think Incineroar is pretty unique tho. We dont have a wrestler yet

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I can do that too but 100% better.

> Wonders why everyone went into panic mode from the box art AND wonders why everyone is so quick to believe 108 stages means we are getting more characters.

1. Stage selects to have space.
2. Box is offical product to be sold to celebrate all characters.
There is a difference.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not really. Ultimate is celebrating the characters. All 72.

Except for the extra 3-4 the fans expect. They are not allowed on the box.
Truth to be told, I don't think any potential newcomer could live up to the hype of Ridley and King K.Rool anyway...

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
like im just going to assume that the monster hunter stage we saw in the direct was going to be a full stage, it just seems weird to take a place from a game to just make it a flat thing for a boss fight and not make a full stage. Why not just make a random flat area if you are gonna do that.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Palutena, Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Ridley, K. Rool ... one of these, or all of them, I'll find out over time

I hope DLC isn't free. If Sakurai is being kept from continuing his life one more, I hope at the least he gets paid for it.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
One super hype thing about DLC this time around is that it can't be any missing vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom