• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
But what if we don't even get another Smash direct and they just announce the 2 characters and spirits mode in a general direct?
They could do that too.
I still wouldn't be hurt. There's only 3 months-ish until the game, it's not a long time. Haha

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I will be extremely extremely dissapointed if Dante makes it into Smash and Banjo doesn't.

Banjo has such a rich history with Nintendo and its best games all came out on a Nintendo console. When people THINK Banjo they think Nintendo 64.

When people think Dante they think the opposite of Nintendo. The series has absolutely no ties with Nintendo at all.

At least you can argue with Cloud. He is the face of final Fantasy which as a whole has good connections with Nintendo.

Im not saying that a character shouldnt automatically be in just because they havent been in a Nintendo console BUT I do think that they shouldnt just add any popular character just because they are cool.
IKR? Dante is one of those ridiculous choices as Bayonetta, Cloud and Corrin were.

Banjo, Lara Croft, Rayman. All way better third party choices.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, another Smash direct is something predectible, but in the last one we get 5 characters and only 2 for the final shot? Well, talk about bad decisions in marketing.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think we're just getting 2 more characters.
Vergeben alone says we're getting at least 3.
There could be more slots on the back.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Alright, imagine that Sakurai tells you that he is gonna make an "Animal Villager" character that will be an echo for the villager / Isabelle, and you have to pick 8 neighbors for that (because 8 alts, just like bowser jr. and the koopalings)
That's your job now, look at this list of animal villagers and pick 8 (Hard mode: extra points for variety, if they all are different animals AND with different colors)
https://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Villager_list_(New_Leaf)
-Kid Cat (Cat)
-Agent S (Squirrel)
-Snake (Rabbit)
-Alfonso (Alligator)
-Hamlet (Hamster)
-Fauna (Deer)
-Lucky (Dog)
-Stitches (Cub)
So uh...yeah. That box art. I don't mean to scare anybody, but I do think it's worth entertaining the notion that we might only get Incineroar and Ken at this point. I'm not saying the roster was decided based on designing the box art, I'm saying the boxart was decided upon based on the size of the roster.

Logically, you'd want all characters to fit in the boxart especially when the focus is "everyone is here!" You wouldn't want 1 or 2 missing off to the side. It would just be weird design for something like this. Obviously, there are two open spots on that side, with Isabelle taking one of them. If Verg is right about Ken and Incineroar, and Ken would be the "Final" Echo and placed next to Ryu, then it seems as though Incineroar would take the last spot on the side we've seen.

This is what both sides of the boxart might look like.

View attachment 164312
Considering he has gone quiet about a few things, I believe that the source that said there was an additional Square Enix character was either a faker, or had faulty information. Or...the first DLC character is from Square Enix.

For all we know, the boxart may not mean anything, but honestly something feels weird about it.

The September Direct wasn't a curveball. It was Isabelle. Last Direct was Simon and K.Rool. Each Direct has given us something that has been heavily considered based on credible leaks.

Make of it what you will, but everyone...and I mean EVERYONE who frequents these threads should be very careful with their expectations at this point.
Wow, that would be massively disappointing if it was true.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475

Has this been discussed in the general discussion yet? I got linked to it on Twitter and assuming my math is right, going by the site's fighter section, there are 70 revealed character portraits (Bunching miis and Pkmn trainer on their own part), with two spaces empty for newcomers...
The characters are side by side with their echo.... So no Black Shadow, Impa, Octolings or Jeanne? There's always DLC though

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
All I'm saying is that people need to start seriously tapering their expectations.

We're just a little over two months and a half away from the game coming out.

When the speculation cycle nears its end, people's hearts always end up being broken due to the final character choices.

I'm not saying that 2 is the final number, but it 'does' line up somewhat with Vergeben(He's very confident in Ken and a 7th Gen rep), and, *ahem*, 103 stages.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah, another Smash direct is something predectible, but in the last one we get 5 characters and only 2 for the final shot? Well, talk about bad decisions in marketing.
Not really.

The characters aren't the centerpoint of the direct anyway, and with less characters padding the direct out, so to speak, they'll have to talk about other things. Of course, they have "Spirits" up their sleeves, so I wonder just how dense that mode is, and I wonder if there's a lot more stuff in the game than we actually realize haha.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
So how which fighters do you like the most in every series's own roster?
Mario: :ultmario:
DK: :ultdiddy:
Legend of Zelda::ultlink:
Metroid: :ultsamus:
Kirby::ultmetaknight:
Star Fox::ultfox:
Pokemon: :ultlucario:
Kid Icarus: :ultpit:
Fire Emblem: :ultike:

Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Mother: :ultness:
Series Represented by one Character (Yoshi, Wario, F-Zero, Wii Fit, Punch Out, Xenoblade): :ultfalcon:

Retro Series (Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Duck Hunt): :ulticeclimbers:

Third Party: :ultsnake:

Donkey Kong: :ultdk:

Zelda: I’m assuming :ultlink:

Metroid: I’m assuming :ultdarksamus:

Kirby: :ultkirby:

Star Fox: :ultfalco:

Pokemon: :ultjigglypuff:?

Earthbound: :ultness:

Fire Emblem: probably :ultike:

Kid Icarus: probably :ultdarkpit:

Animal Crossing: My guess is :ultvillager:

Third party: My guess is :ultsimon:

One character: :ultfalcon:

Retro: :ulticeclimbers:

Has this been discussed in the general discussion yet? I got linked to it on Twitter and assuming my math is right, going by the site's fighter section, there are 70 revealed character portraits (Bunching miis and Pkmn trainer on their own part), with two spaces empty for newcomers...
Looks like only one new character left :p

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Just that the final character count would need to be divisible by 4, 3 and 2 in order to make Smashdown work.
Basically divisible by 12.
Anything divisible by both 3 and 4 must also be divisible by 12.

And 2 is gonna be implied by 4 and 12.

Just for the sake of simplicity in the future.

:)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm telling you guys, Spirits Mode is going to be some amazing, resource heavy single player campaign that trumps all previous Smash games is both quality and quantity of single player content. That's the real reason we're getting so few new fighters.
Me? Because that’s all what I think.
You among others. Making Link right-handed has always been an unpopular decision from the start. As I said, I personally would have kept him a lefty had I been in charge. Of course I've never seen anyone throw a real fit over it, or any of the Zelda redesigns for that matter. They've all just expressed disappointment.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Nah. They said people would have the option of stacking, not the option of unstacking. Plus from a purely logistic standpoint, you have to design the CSS to fit every character, and then you can create a second version with fewer characters.
Disagree again. You are arguing semantics. It does have to be designes to fit everyone. But it does not have to be designed to look pleasing or make any sense kind of sense. I am sure stacked is where we get the pleasing asthetic.

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
So since Loz18 had been denied. Has Skull Kids chances dwindled and may end up as a boss instead?
Well, his assist trophy is missing and seemingly replaced, like Isabelle, so idk.

I highly doubt Skull Kid himself is the Zelda boss, though; I think they would choose a boss-character that you actually fight in their game.

LeakyPandy isn't credible.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
So what games are you guys playing while you wait for Ultimate? I'm currently trying out Blazblue Waifu Cross Tag Battle. It's pretty fun. I just wish there was more single player content.
Playing Trails to Zero, AO and Trails of Cold Steel 3 before the 4th one comes out in Japan so I’ll at least be caught up plotwise.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Whats the Smash Down theory?
The smash down theory is that the amount of characters to end up playable in the mode should be divisible by 4 at least... originally the numbers of predicted character in accordance to the theory would be 84 as it is divisible by 2, 3 and 4 but 8 player smash can be played in smash down apparently so that was thrown in a loop. If the final count is only divisible by 4 then we are looking at a total of 72 or 76 characters (80 and 84 is pushing)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

What kind of weird order are they in though? :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik: all makes sense, then skip Zelda all the way to Roy?

I call inconclusive. They wouldn’t have put that up without knowing people would do this analysis, so it may be a mockup.

Besides, what’s wrong with a single row at the back as well? They’ve probably got something up their sleeves

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The characters are side by side with their echo.... So no Black Shadow, Impa, Octolings or Jeanne? There's always DLC though
You say that like boxart isn't able to be changed. By your logic, no Ken or no Shadow either.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Watch as Sakurai himself turns out to be the final character revealed in the game. :p
It's Sakurai, but he's shirtless and wearing an Incineroar mask.

He'll be a Pokemon, Smash Brothers and Tekken Rep all in one. Then everyone is happy (well, except those who wanted him to wear a Decidueye mask instead).

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, I just calculated something. If we look the amount of MUs an individual character has, including Echo Fighters, dittos and counting Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon as individual, if we multiplied that by the amount of characters we have, that's 5,476 MUs in total.

Imagine trying to learn that many MUs as a commentator.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Apologies if this has been brought up, but I saw a link to this video by a guy named Shifty:

This guy states that Isabelle, Incineroar, and Ken are the next fighters. While many of us saw this as likely, at the end he claims that Isabelle would be the next revealed fighter, which he was right. This video was made in August.

He also states that the hidden mode is like Subspace. He says it will feature Marx from Kirby as a boss.

Untouch

Smash Master
The big problem I'm seeing with the boxart is that it starts with Luigi and none of the original 8, which is fine, but they can't put the original 8 in a row now without messing things up.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If the last character is Incineroar i'll be really happy, but also really sad because I want Geno so bad right now :(.
See, I've been thinking about that.
Maybe it's just me, but Ken and Incineroar (in other words, obligatory Gen 7 fighter) seem like a rather weak thing to end on.

So, what if we toss the Pokemon "requirement" out the window and it was someone else more... hype conducive? Like Geno or any number of other examples?

Not saying this will happen, but it's a thought.

It could also be the case that the boxart thing is totally bogus, but even in that case, it's a fun thought experiment and a stark contrast to other things that grace this thread. Haha.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Ugh, it's my first time staying up this late. I just returned...and I'm going to sleep very soon now. But I don't think anyone has noticed this yet and I'm not sure why but...

For peoples who are saying the killing streak has ended, it hasn't technically ended yet. Someone did die in the reveal trailer. In the 2 minute long introduction to Isabelle, at 1:46 you can see Villager trying to follow her with a rocket (What was it?), but then it stops and then it explodes, so this technically was him being killed.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
What kind of weird order are they in though? :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik: all makes sense, then skip Zelda all the way to Roy?

I call inconclusive. They wouldn’t have put that up without knowing people would do this analysis, so it may be a mockup.

Besides, what’s wrong with a single row at the back as well? They’ve probably got something up their sleeves
Zelda with Hilda echo on the other side(?) hahaha love the especulation time before official info

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Honestly, as far as the box goes I can see them easily putting the original 8 on the back to show off the starting roster.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The big problem I'm seeing with the boxart is that it starts with Luigi and none of the original 8, which is fine, but they can't put the original 8 in a row now without messing things up.
They wouldn't be able to do that anyway because Samus is next to Dark Samus.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That's cause they're on the other side presumably.
Alternating rows of 6.

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman

Donkey Kong: :ultdk:

Zelda: I’m assuming :ultlink:

Metroid: I’m assuming :ultdarksamus:

Kirby: :ultkirby:

Star Fox: :ultfalco:

Pokemon: :ultjigglypuff:?

Earthbound: :ultness:

Fire Emblem: probably :ultike:

Kid Icarus: probably :ultdarkpit:

Animal Crossing: My guess is :ultvillager:

Third party: My guess is :ultsimon:

One character: :ultfalcon:

Retro: :ulticeclimbers:

Looks like only one new character left :p
Actually, that box skips a lot of characters. I guess it doesn’t necessarily mean what I thought it did.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Alright, imagine that Sakurai tells you that he is gonna make an "Animal Villager" character that will be an echo for the villager / Isabelle, and you have to pick 8 neighbors for that (because 8 alts, just like bowser jr. and the koopalings)
That's your job now, look at this list of animal villagers and pick 8 (Hard mode: extra points for variety, if they all are different animals AND with different colors)
https://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Villager_list_(New_Leaf)
I also picked 4 For Each Gender
Rodeo (Bull) He Used to live in my WW Town
Mint (Squirrel) She used to live in my WW town
Dotty (Rabbit) She Lives in my WW Town
Mitzi (Cat) Just reminds me of PBG
Poncho (Cub) He Lives in my WW Town
Quilson (Duck) IDK
Roscoe (Horse) IDK
Puddles (Frog) She's Pink

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I don’t get the boxart limiting us to 1 new character.
It shows 36 slots on one side. The other could be another 36.
That’s 72.
We have 68.
This would mean we at least get 4 more characters, echo plus unique.
That’s assuming the other side is even characters. Could be on the back wrapped alongside information and other junk.

Edit: I see it shows echoes. So I guess with 6 echoes(Chrom, Lucina, Richter, Dark pit and Samus and Daisy also shown, it should show 74 already. Which destroys any hope of this revealing anything.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Started playing Torna: The Golden Country. Not gonna spoil anything (I'm only like an hour in) but I really want to see this being how XC2 gets into Smash.

Switching between Driver and Blade adds a lot to speed up the game, and it honestly feels like a very different game with this as the mechanic. I know Rex doesn't appear in it (given that it's a prequel), but if this is how we get XC2 shown off, I am totally okay with it.

Basically, recall that switching tag team idea that was the beta idea for Brawl Diddy and Dixie (two characters that switch between each other, but they still fight together). That's what any XC2 character needs to have, because it's so much more interesting than just getting passive bonuses from a background character (imagine Pokemon Trainer using X items on his Pokemon... that's basically what people are asking for the vanilla XC2 Rex and Pyra).

Each character gets 3 attacks as arts, which can be the neutral/side/up specials, with down special reserved for character switch. And character switch itself is an attack upon switching. It would be so cool and really stand apart from a character concept that would otherwise be plagued with clunky background buffs.

I'm actually glad XC2 was too new to make it into the base roster because now there's a chance it can be infinitely more interesting with a character concept based more around a tag team and less around passive background buffs.

...Plus this could be how we get Mythra...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom