• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

Has this been discussed in the general discussion yet? I got linked to it on Twitter and assuming my math is right, going by the site's fighter section, there are 70 revealed character portraits (Bunching miis and Pkmn trainer on their own part), with two spaces empty for newcomers...
There are 2 sides, and each one has space for 36 characters
36 X 2 = 72

Pyra Pyra was right.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The Special Smash Edition Box doesn’t even have Isabelle on it.

Not to mention any newcomers that come after.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So uh...yeah. That box art. I don't mean to scare anybody, but I do think it's worth entertaining the notion that we might only get Incineroar and Ken at this point. I'm not saying the roster was decided based on designing the box art, I'm saying the boxart was decided upon based on the size of the roster.

Logically, you'd want all characters to fit in the boxart especially when the focus is "everyone is here!" You wouldn't want 1 or 2 missing off to the side. It would just be weird design for something like this. Obviously, there are two open spots on that side, with Isabelle taking one of them. If Verg is right about Ken and Incineroar, and Ken would be the "Final" Echo and placed next to Ryu, then it seems as though Incineroar would take the last spot on the side we've seen.

This is what both sides of the boxart might look like.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 7.48.50 PM.png

Considering he has gone quiet about a few things, I believe that the source that said there was an additional Square Enix character was either a faker, or had faulty information. Or...the first DLC character is from Square Enix.

For all we know, the boxart may not mean anything, but honestly something feels weird about it.

The September Direct wasn't a curveball. It was Isabelle. Last Direct was Simon and K.Rool. Each Direct has given us something that has been heavily considered based on credible leaks.

Make of it what you will, but everyone...and I mean EVERYONE who frequents these threads should be very careful with their expectations at this point.

Untouch

Smash Master
Smashdown theory just got 200% more likely.
If there are 72 characters, and Mii Fighters/PKMN trainer take up a slot each...
That's 2 characters left.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I literally have a itinerary of screenshots and art from the actual games you mentioned proving that wrong but whatever. We’ve moved on.[/QUOTE
Inmediately after...

Like I keep saying, if people like the new ZSS good for them, I’m just saying it’d be neat if my amiibo unlocked the Sm4sh version as an alt, then we’re all happy :(
And you wonder why they call you a boob freak.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If Incineroar AND Ken are really all that's left, I wonder if the next Smash Direct will come in October, with a DLC reveal in November/December.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Incineroar AND Ken are really all that's left, I wonder if the next Smash Direct will come in October, with a DLC reveal in November/December.
I'm still think 2 more uniques and 4 more echos honestly which would round the base roster up to 80.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One day it's about the chairs, the next day it's all about the boxart.
We can never escape this hell.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well then okay I get your grievance.

Because like if Pyra, for example, was flat then it would be off model.

At that point its not a matter of sexual attraction, something is wrong, and when it's wrong, its wrong.

But why?

In the numerical count, it counts the number of non-echo unique characters, that being 68 as of now.

In that other count, it counts the number of in-game selectable fighters. This is why they count PT as one, but echo fighters as separate, because PT only has one slot due to being a composite character, whereas echo fighters are separated from their base characters on the CSS. At least, I assume, by default.

TL;DR: The “everyone is here” count, counts the number of unique move sets in the game, whereas that website count counts the number of selectable characters in the game.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
So uh...yeah. That box art. I don't mean to scare anybody, but I do think it's worth entertaining the notion that we might only get Incineroar and Ken at this point. I'm not saying the roster was decided based on designing the box art, I'm saying the boxart was decided upon based on the size of the roster.

Logically, you'd want all characters to fit in the boxart especially when the focus is "everyone is here!" You wouldn't want 1 or 2 missing off to the side. It would just be weird design for something like this. Obviously, there are two open spots on that side, with Isabelle taking one of them. If Verg is right about Ken and Incineroar, and Ken would be the "Final" Echo and placed next to Ryu, then it seems as though Incineroar would take the last spot on the side we've seen.

View attachment 164312
Considering he has gone quiet about a few things, I believe that the source that said there was an additional Square Enix character was either a faker, or had faulty information. Or...the first DLC character is from Square Enix.

For all we know, the boxart may not mean anything, but honestly something feels weird about it.

The September Direct wasn't a curveball. It was Isabelle. Last Direct was Simon and K.Rool. Each Direct has given us something that has been heavily considered based on credible leaks.

Make of it what you will, but everyone...and I mean EVERYONE who frequents these threads should be very careful with their expectations at this point.
I definitely feel like we're winding down on characters really. I wouldn't be suprised if we just get two more after all. I'm very alright with this actually, the roster is amazing as is

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

View attachment 164312

Pretty sure that won't be all... Just saying
I exoect at least on more new fighter and one more echo fighter...

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Just two more for the final blow? Seems weird but the boxart theory seems solid.
But, well, is a WIP. We'll wait.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ah, that's what the remaining two slots are.
Yellow Chair and Purple Chair.
Welp, I think we just figured out who our fighters #69 and #69e are.
Add Yellow and Purple Chairs to the list of characters I'm never going to look up on Google images.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'll be honest: I am totally fine with the 2-remaining tentative "box art" roster, because now I'm a bit more intrigued by the final Smash Bros direct. It'll have to be about a hell of a lot more things to do with the game itself than just the characters.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

View attachment 164312

The most important thing is that the base roster is capping off at #69 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man this makes me wish more was revealed yesterday...Already its hell and to think we're probably not gonna get anything else until likely October. How will it that this community will survive?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So what games are you guys playing while you wait for Ultimate? I'm currently trying out Blazblue Waifu Cross Tag Battle. It's pretty fun. I just wish there was more single player content.
Restarted Breath of the Wild while I wait for Soul Calibur, then I’ll use that until Smash.
I have yet to see someone complain about the characters with actual drastic redesigns.

I'm of course talking about the Legend of Zelda cast.
Gotta say I preferred the TP versions. Even the Sm4sh ones were too colorful (and Ganondorf was derpily off model)
Queen Zelda as a cold ruler was great, and I donmt need Zelda to encroach on Peach’s role of the bubblegum princess. It was nice to have that dichotomy.

Ganondorf’s best look is Hyrule Warriors though by a loooooong shot.

And Link absolutely should have stayed left-handed. We lefties don’t have many heroes, so don’t take away the ones we do have...
I've seen one or two people who complained that they prefer a more stoic Zelda, a darker Ganon, or a left-handed Link (granted I also think they should have kept him a lefty, but I'm not bithered by it that much). There's always going to be people who resist change.
Me? Because that’s all what I think.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I will be extremely extremely dissapointed if Dante makes it into Smash and Banjo doesn't.

Banjo has such a rich history with Nintendo and its best games all came out on a Nintendo console. When people THINK Banjo they think Nintendo 64.

When people think Dante they think the opposite of Nintendo. The series has absolutely no ties with Nintendo at all.

At least you can argue with Cloud. He is the face of final Fantasy which as a whole has good connections with Nintendo.

Im not saying that a character shouldnt automatically be in just because they havent been in a Nintendo console BUT I do think that they shouldnt just add any popular character just because they are cool.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest: I am totally fine with the 2-remaining tentative "box art" roster, because now I'm a bit more intrigued by the final Smash Bros direct. It'll have to be about a hell of a lot more things to do with the game itself than just the characters.
But what if we don't even get another Smash direct and they just announce the 2 characters and spirits mode in a general direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom