• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know what is criminal about Link's new redesign? Where's that cool black hood he likes to wear these days? Give me that as an alt Nintendo.

Anyway it'd be nice if the game remembered your preferred alts like in Smash 3DS. It'd be a nice compromise for those who want Link's green hat and a nice QoL improvement all around. I think they didn't do that in the Wii U version because it was intended to be a shared family console, but with the Switch kind of being a hybrid of console and handheld they might bring that feature back.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 164280

Sora is, for all intents and purposes, a Disney character.
funny.

Disney owns the rights to Sora, but they don't make the games. Square makes the games. Almost everything about him comes from Nomura, a square enix developer. Legally speaking, Sora is a disney character, but if he was to be added, they would likely ignore most of the disney aspects and use his (say with it me now) square enix developed abilities. That's why I would see him as a square rep rather than disney.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Saw this post on gamefaqs, thought it was interesting and am sharing it here

MeepleLardicle
I was just reading a post about Imran over at ResetEra about Imran just a few minutes ago. As mentioned in that post, he is a known insider that has dropped hints before, and as this post noted that he did make a few small comments across Smash's speculation period this year that have been interpreted as hints, so it's possible that he's doing another 'wink, wink, nudge, nudge' here and is trying to imply there is another SE character that we don't know about.

With that said, none of his comments have come to pass yet, so we'll see how that pans out in the coming months.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
But every time someone even mentions character designs, you immediately think "oh they're talking about character designs?! now's my chance to remind everyone that i hate the new zero suit samus! i know they all loooooooooove when i do that!"

Also, every time you mention it, you get the same damn response. I would think that you'd eventually understand that nobody shares in your opinion, and never will.
I also don’t like the fact that she’s stuck with the Other M varia suit, or that someone I know is totally crushed because TP Zelda got trapdoored out suddenly, but I guess that doesn’t fit your narrative that I’m just some creep :)

Chrono.

You know what is criminal about Link's new redesign? Where's that cool black hood he likes to wear these days? Give me that as an alt Nintendo.
Finally someone with the real issues.

I wear that hood near all the time in BotW and it was used in promo material quite a bit. I wish it was an alt.

Mac can have a hood, why can't Link?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
They've said before they have legitimate reasons for disliking it, but so far I haven't seen what they are yet
No, PlasmaDam is right. The only reason the dude has ever given for disliking the design is that her boobs aren't big anymore. He's said things like he's upset she looks realistic now.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
My b Rocket didn't mean to quote you
Over9000BPM Over9000BPM

Y'know

You are the one who always complains about Samus' "redesign".

But

I have yet to see someone complain about the characters with actual drastic redesigns.

I'm of course talking about the Legend of Zelda cast.
If this is an invitation to do so I never really liked that they made the champions tunic his main thing in BotW and I dyed my clothes green in that game as soon as I could. I'll be playing link exclusively with the Hero of the Wilds alt
Not sure about the specifics, but he gave a giant description of the direct and got almost everything wrong except K. Rool. He didn’t even say Simon, and talked about them going in detail about a game mode that didn’t exist.

Apparently he acted like an a-hole too, and I think everyone was also just kinda pissed that everyone was believing him despite him being proven a fraud after the direct.
If all that is true, then I agree. I just hadn't seen much of what was complained about

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This is the problem with the "ignore" button. I made good use of it because I didn't want to listen to any more about Zero Suit Samus.

It doesn't work. You still get the other half of the argument and can just infer from context.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sonic. Like, there's no question.
Sonic, no question
Sonic./QUOTE]
Honestly? Sonic. He’s been seen as Mario’s competitor for years, and I feel out of all 3rd parties he deserves to be in.

This is coming from someone who never cared about the Sonic franchise btw.
Excellent, you all passed my test. You see, In my opinion, Sonic Represents the Concept of a Third Party Character. He has lot's of History with Nintendo, He's a Gaming Icon and He fits very well into Smash. Honorable Mentions for me Include Snake, Pac-Man, and Megaman

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, would any of you say that you're newcomer choices lean towards more cartoonish characters (Banjo and Kazooie, Rayman, Chourus Kids) or much more serious and mature characters (Elma, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa)? I'd say I lean more towards the latter.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, would any of you say that you're newcomer choices lean towards more cartoonish characters (Banjo and Kazooie, Rayman, Chourus Kids) or much more serious and mature characters (Elma, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa)? I'd say I lean more towards the latter.
Smash has a very cartoon-y artstyle in general, so I'd say I lean more towards those kinds of newcomers, because they just fit better.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Excellent, you all passed my test. You see, In my opinion, Sonic Represents the Concept of a Third Party Character. He has lot's of History with Nintendo, He's a Gaming Icon and He fits very well into Smash. Honorable Mentions for me Include Snake, Pac-Man, and Megaman
I was gonna say Pac-Man and mega man would be the runners up, but idk about snake, it still surprises me he’s in. I think Simon Belmont is important enough too, it’s crazy it took this long to get him

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Just my musings:

-I think Shadow and Ken are extremely likely and will be shown together because they’ll be third party echos(or at least likely, but with Isabelle being a unique fighter maybe I’m jumping the gun)
-Skull Kid feels very likely for just the fact that his assist trophy was changed to only feature “Moon”
-if Vergeben is correct about his other leaks, then we have a SE rep and a Gen VII Pokémon (people are assuming Inceneroar but he hasn’t confirmed that), both of these, while we can take some clear easy guesses on both, don’t really have too much evidence supporting them (Geno at most because of his Mii costume, but I wouldn’t say he’s overly likely).

With this we’d get two more echos and three new characters, I feel there’s a bit more that we don’t know but I’d be ready (and happy) to accept the above as what we get.

Not making this post to really bring up new ideas, since this is easily the most rehashed thoughts on the roster, just wanted to make them down.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Can't choose my current most wanted top 3 are one cartoonish (Banjo-Kazooie) and two serious and mature (Black Shadow and Medusa).

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
-snip-

EDIT: okay mission accomplished, I was trying to remember what I was missing and someone pointed it out you can all move on now haha

(It's an outdated pre-Isabelle number)

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Personally I like more cartoony characters, like Pokemon or Geno, so i'd like it if more cartoonish characters got in.
But if the realistic characters are interesting enough I wouldn't mind them either.

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I guess I’d say cartoony because chorus kids are my most wanted and bandana see is my second, cant really think of any “serious” characters I want in tbh

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Overlord9000 the **** on Zss dont matter it about her Chracther dont be the james perrot of ashley fans dont be that guy dude your better than this

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I was gonna say Pac-Man and mega man would be the runners up, but idk about snake, it still surprises me he’s in. I think Simon Belmont is important enough too, it’s crazy it took this long to get him
I think he represents a Surprise Factor in terms of Third Parties... Also he was the First third party character revealed. Basically being the reason the entire concept is possible

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I also don’t like the fact that she’s stuck with the Other M varia suit, or that someone I know is totally crushed because TP Zelda got trapdoored out suddenly, but I guess that doesn’t fit your narrative that I’m just some creep :)
Well, I liked SmashBrawl/4 Ganondorf more than OoT Ganondorf, but guess what? IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. You and your friend get over it already or don't buy the game and stop complaining ffs.

D

Deleted member

Depends on how you define "serious and mature." Two of my most wanted are actual cartoon characters, and one is a real person. What category would you lump "edgy anime girls" into?

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a new complaint about how BOTW Zelda didn't get in because she's not a fighter but Isabelle got in anyway. Of course, we know the real reason we got LBW Zelda (Skirt based model and stuff) but it's still weird how they presented that

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Assuming my most wanted character is a Rhythm Heaven Rep, I think I'll lean more on the Cartoony side.

D

Deleted member

Depends on how you define "serious and mature." Two of my most wanted are actual cartoon characters, and one is a real person. What category would you lump "edgy anime girls" into?
Serious and Mature is what I'd lump them into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom