• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also i dont we are getting any more chracthers than like 75 max cause Sakurai said we are not getting a lot newcomers and echos do count
I'm in the same boat with some thinking were probably only getting 2 uniques and 4 echos left.

70 uniques + 10 echos = 80.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm not so happy about the blander, washed-out colours. Really especially evident with Pikachu, but you can see it with Wario and most other characters too. But honestly, it's a minor nitpick when you consider how amazing the game is as a whole!
Yeah, I wish the colors were a little more saturated.
But the models themselves are so well made and so well animateda I barely even notice.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah it did. Her popularity plummeted after the 00s era..there's a reason they did a reboot. Like Crash, her games were no longer bought in huge numbers nor critically acclaimed. They were good and well reviewed, but that was about it.

Snake wasn't, though Metal Gear is insanely popular, but he was added because Kojima asked Sakurai to put him in. Oddly enough, Bayonetta was highly requested and even expected. Many saw her as likely to appear in the base game.
People have wanted Castlevania for a while, even offering Simon as a replacement for Snake..it simply wasn't talked about as much due to no one thinking Sakurai would work with Konami again.
Bayonetta highly requested and expected...no she wasn’t (requested yes, but not highly and definitely not expected), and even with sales going down TR never ended up dead like Crash did. She kept on going and going and never dying...also Legends and Underworld were acclaimed by critics (and so far the current reboot series)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
>Dark Bowser

Haha yeah no

At least Dark Pit had his own personality in Uprising. Dark Bowser is just...Dark friggin Bowser
To be fair, it's not like Dark Bowser and Bowser have the same personality either.

Kinda getting tired of the whole Dark ____ echo thing though.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm not so happy about the blander, washed-out colours. Really especially evident with Pikachu, but you can see it with Wario and most other characters too. But honestly, it's a minor nitpick when you consider how amazing the game is as a whole!
While I agree with this, I think the much more dynamic poses the characters take generally make up for the slightly less interesting coloration. Overall I still like the new art direction more.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dark Bowser along with Wedding Bowser, Bowletta, Meowser, Rookie and Dry Bowser would honestly fit better as costumes then echos.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Skins and paid cosmetics are what's killing the gaming industry, we must not promote it
I disagree. Pay to win and locked gameplay content are toxic to the gaming industry, but cosmetics and costumes with no direct impact on gameplay are mostly harmless.

Last edited:

BrashCandicoot

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-0606-3457
Switch FC
SW-2362-2833-3327
So I guess we won't be hearing from him anymore!

If anything! The only credible leaker is Vergeben!

So I guess the last characters left are Ken, The New Pokemon, And A Square Enix Character!

What a shame! Was hoping for other characters other than the ones Verg mentioned! \

Oh well! I guess there's always DLC (Hopefully Verg doesn't give away all the DLC newcomers)!
That's not exactly true, we may get a few more.

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Nah, got to have the clawed feet from Prime 2 ;)
:rolleyes: There’s no pleasing you

Well surely you love Ridley’s design, what could possibly be wrong there :p

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Dark Bowser along with Wedding Bowser, Bowletta, Meowser, Rookie and Dry Bowser would honestly fit better as costumes then echos.
I could say the same about a lot of the current echos. :4pacman:

If Bowser gets a costume, I'd like it to be Dry Bowser tbh

Besides the fact that one of my top wants is unlockable costumes to the point where I'd prefer cosmetic DLC over character DLC

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If anything! The only credible leaker is Vergeben!

So I guess the last characters left are Ken, The New Pokemon, And A Square Enix Character!

What a shame! Was hoping for other characters other than the ones Verg mentioned! \

Oh well! I guess there's always DLC (Hopefully Verg doesn't give away all the DLC newcomers)!
I'm thinking Dixie, Shadow and either Impa or Octoling (Perhaps maybe even Black Knight) will get in too rounding out to 80.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Saw this post on gamefaqs, thought it was interesting and am sharing it here

MeepleLardicle
Oh yeah, I want to bring up other things to consider regarding Geno...

Imran, an insider who many speculate is one of Verge's contacts (I wouldn't know, I think people are just jumping the gun), made a very strong implication that Geno isn't getting in Smash on Resetera.

He said something along the lines of:

"Geno fans, did it ever occur to you that...maybe Sakurai simply doesn't want Geno in Smash?"

You can say "But he said he wanted him since Brawl" Ok, but maybe Sakurai was trying to throw the fans a bone. Also, the Mii Costume? Square makes money from that directly I'm sure with each payment, a licensing fee for a character they won't ever use doesn't make them much money.

Additionally, and this is something people often forget...

Namely, the timeline doesn't really match what the Geno fans claim.

They often claim "but the ballot" but did you even look at most projected ballot results? Geno struggles to reach top 10, and there's characters who rank consistently higher than him not in the game yet that are first party (oh hi Isaac.) And these ballots do not account for the fans who are NOT active on massive Smash Message boards, such as younger players who probably haven't a clue who Geno is, or the casual fans who just don't care about him/haven't touched SMRPG.
This is why the "Echo chamber" mindset needs to be factored in for these polls. Even with that, Geno's performance isn't nearly as high as people pretend (people act like he was just behind Ridley and K Rool, he clearly isn't.)

In fact, Geno's support in the past few months is <b>higher than it's ever been</b> if you actually look.
Think I'm joking or exaggerating?

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=Geno Smash

The biggest spike before Smash Ultimates announcement was in December 2015, when Geno's Mii Costume was found, and that's barely half the height of the current spike. The only other notable spike was in January 2008, around the time Brawl came out, not sure what sparked it there beyond maybe his absence, but I digress, why is that important?

December 2015 is <b>long</b> after the Ballot ended.

Now let's condense this to only 2015, and look at Geno vs. characters who likely did do very well in the Ballot and a control factor in throwing Simon Belmont for "character who got some notice but probably didn't do that well."

https://tinyurl.com/y9gas66x

Oh look at that, Geno is clearly behind the 3 characters I cared about, and is only as close as he is due to a massive spike in December when his mii costume got revealed. True, K Rool also got a spike boosting him, but K Rool has Geno in almost every other area if we disregard their spikes.

D

Deleted member

So what games are you guys playing while you wait for Ultimate? I'm currently trying out Blazblue Waifu Cross Tag Battle. It's pretty fun. I just wish there was more single player content.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I disagree. Pay to win and locked gameplay content are toxic to the gaming industry, but cosmetics and costumes with no direct impact on gameplay are mostly harmless.
Non-cosmetic and gameplay affecting lootboxes like how EA did Battlefront II and most of their games now are what's gonna kill gaming.
No, locking stuff out of the game behind a paywall is wrong, even if it's cosmetic.
It's not about paid content modifying the gameplay, it's about them making you shill out more $$$ if you want to 100% the game.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
So what games are you guys playing while you wait for Ultimate? I'm currently trying out Blazblue Waifu Cross Tag Battle. It's pretty fun. I just wish there was more single player content.
I promised my best friend that I'd play SA2 if/when Shadow gets revealed.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
100%ing Majoras mask right now. I wasn’t the biggest fan before but now skull kids one of my top three because of this now

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Skins and paid cosmetics are what's killing the gaming industry, we must not promote it
Bruh nothing's gonna stop me from buying a Halloween Costume pack for the smash cast
As long as they don't lock it to a loot box it's no issue to me

That said I want in-game unlockable costumes and skins haha way more

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Man it's exciting to think of the DLC character possibilities since the Switch is at a better place than the Wii U was when Smash 4 was doing DLC, and candidates for all veterans and some fan requests have already been eliminated. Though a perhaps silly concern is Sakurai overworking himself in continuing to work on Smash Ultimate content for an extended period.

*cough*also if Crash doesnt make it in even as DLC *cough*

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Smash 3DS. Gotta complete All Star mode with every character eventually, right?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Which is why I’m saying let me use my amiibos to unlock SR Samus and Sm4sh ZSS as alt skins, then everyone’s happy :(
Haven't you been told several times to stop bringing this up?

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
>Bayonetta 3, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Yoshi's Crafted World, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 3, Metroid Prime 4
>all for 2019
Yup, i guess i'm playing another round of The Waiting Game

Heracr055

Smash Ace
So a slight diversion...
Those who don't own a Switch yet: are you getting the Smash bundle with the download copy, a Switch and the game separately, or a Switch and the steelbook+Switch pro controller?
I'm on the fence because I like having physical copies of games. And I like the steelbook too. But I think the Pro controller design is ugly & prefer the Joycons (I can live without the dock though).
If only there was the bundle w/ steelbook tbh

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As I mentioned the other night I'm currently playing DKC2. It's difficult but seems pretty short, so with cheating save states I should be done fairly soon.

Super Metroid, Mega Man X and Kirby Superstar are next on my to play list. The SNES era seems like it was just a great time for gaming as a whole.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
WarioWare Gold, and I plan on getting Luigi's Mansion 3DS since I never played the original and I quite liked the second game.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just got the snes classic, playing some classic games right now. Just finished DK country, at the end of Mario rpg and i'm thinking if playing Super Metroid next.

Also when Let's Go Pikachu comes out i'll reluctantly buy it so I can give it a fair shot before deciding how I really feel about it.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Honestly, I’m starting to expect less than I normally did, so I revised my prediction a little.

1. Elma
2. Lycanroc
3. Geno
4. Isaac
?. Rhythm Heaven
?. Lloyd

Echoes:
1. Ken
2. Felix
3. Dusk?
?. Shadow?

Yeah, I’m keeping my expectations more in check this time around. I’m really think we’re stuck at either 4-5 more unique newcomers. I really want to say 6 to include Lloyd and Rhythm Heaven since they both seem like charcaters/franchises that most likely were considered and actually get in. Lloyd could’ve been a popular ballot pick that not many notice and would be much easier to negotiate and have a distinct moveset with dual swords and all. Rhythm Heaven is one of the more notable franchises not in Smash that Sakurai considered and there are some ways to include a fun unique Rhythm based moveset.

Although there’s also the possibility we’ll get neither of them. The other 4 are characters I think we’ll be getting, and if you just don’t see Lycanroc because of leaks or whatnot, then replace him with Incineroar. Yeah it may be a little disappointing for a lot of fan bases, but for Geno and Isaac fans, they’ve waited so long for this, they are the last two biggest fan favorites not yet in Smash. Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, and Geno are enough for a lot of people to make this the unbeatable game of all time. Then you got Elma and Lycanroc (or Incineroar if you want). Although popularity really isn’t a factor for them, there’s also relevancy and moveset potential that back them up to be playable.

Now, echoes. I honestly don’t see a whole lot. I get it, echoes are easy to make, blah, blah, blah, but I don’t see them trying to shove 12 new echoes for the game. So I’m only expecting a couple more. Ken is an obvious one, he IS the original clone, and I’m pretty sure that he was one of the first echoes the team has came up with, and because of that he might have more differences, such as some of his traditional differences for his specials, and have some visual ones that work the same as Ryu’s moves.

Felix is really based on whether or not Isaac gets in, but if Isaac does, I see Felix getting in as an echo of him. They both have access to the same abilities (with Felix actually having one more than Isaac) and are at least visually distinct enough to be echo fighters while also having similar proportions.

The same goes with Dusk, it depends on whether Midday/Midnight get in as original fighters and Dusk gets in later, Dusk has a very similar build to Midday, but there are some things like Midnight’s crescent and Midnight’s signature Counter that Dusk can access to set him apart from Midday.

There’s also Shadow, but it’s more of situation where I think he may not get in, but I won’t be surprised if he got in either.
So those are my predictions.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Over9000BPM Over9000BPM

Y'know

You are the one who always complains about Samus' "redesign".

But

I have yet to see someone complain about the characters with actual drastic redesigns.

I'm of course talking about the Legend of Zelda cast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom