• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So what games are you guys playing while you wait for Ultimate? I'm currently trying out Blazblue Waifu Cross Tag Battle. It's pretty fun. I just wish there was more single player content.
Tougon Presents: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I have no time for anything else.

Haven't you been told several times to stop bringing this up?
Complaining about the same thing over and over is endearing, right? No.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Over9000BPM Over9000BPM

Y'know

You are the one who always complains about Samus' "redesign".

But

I have yet to see someone complain about the characters with actual drastic redesigns.

I'm of course talking about the Legend of Zelda cast.
Clearly you missed the post where I said an acquaintance is devastated by the loss of TP Zelda and I feel really sad for her :(

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How come the world is giving up on Geno as soon as I play Mario rpg and start to really like Geno?
Don't take it personally man
The speculation season is like a weird flux of popularity and opinion depending on what gets revealed even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Guarantee that no matter who the next person is people are gonna go "it was an obvious inclusion- x y and z have no chance now lol"

Noipoi

Howdy!
Am I the only one who sees something funky with K. Rool's stock Icon?
Additionally, while they've grown on me, I'm not a huge fan of the minimalist stock designs, more specifically Sonic's though a few others seem a bit off to me
I dunno, I really really like them. But then again I really like minimalistic icons so I guess these were tailor made for me.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Over9000BPM Over9000BPM

Y'know

But

I have yet to see someone complain about the characters with actual drastic redesigns.

I’ve held my tongue because I know most wont agree but I don’t like BotW link. The green tunic is iconic, and I know there’s the costume and two other links, but it just doesn’t feel right having the main link on the character select wearing a blue shirt and no hat

D

Deleted member

Lucky. A guy I know plays Ganondorf in Smash 4, and wont stop complaining about Ocarina Dorf.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
So a slight diversion...
Those who don't own a Switch yet: are you getting the Smash bundle with the download copy, a Switch and the game separately, or a Switch and the steelbook+Switch pro controller?
I'm on the fence because I like having physical copies of games. And I like the steelbook too. But I think the Pro controller design is ugly & prefer the Joycons (I can live without the dock though).
If only there was the bundle w/ steelbook tbh
Me, most likely. I like the pro controller design and honestly I'd rather have a more Xbox-ey controller than a GameCube one

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
No, locking stuff out of the game behind a paywall is wrong, even if it's cosmetic.
It's not about paid content modifying the gameplay, it's about them making you shill out more $$$ if you want to 100% the game.
I can see where you're coming from, but locked content doesn't bother me that much if it's 100% optinional. I can still fully enjoy Wooly World for what it is without a single amiibo costume, so as long as the vase game us solid enough itself...

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

I've seen one or two people who complained that they prefer a more stoic Zelda, a darker Ganon, or a left-handed Link (granted I also think they should have kept him a lefty, but I'm not bothered by it that much). There's always going to be people who resist change.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So what games are you guys playing while you wait for Ultimate? I'm currently trying out Blazblue Waifu Cross Tag Battle. It's pretty fun. I just wish there was more single player content.
Well, I want to give Mega Man 11 a shot. Aside from that, I want to try any FF game on the Switch when it comes out, so I can finally experience the franchise.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Saw this post on gamefaqs, thought it was interesting and am sharing it here

MeepleLardicle
I mean this dude is basically saying the same thing I have ever since I've hopped back on SmashBoards:

The ballot was conducted worldwide and open to everyone.
Sure, Geno and some other characters may rank high on fan ballots from 4Chan, Gamefaqs, SmashBoards, etc. However, they're only targeting the hardcore speculation demographic not anyone else. So you're pulling from an arguably small portion of players and seeing their interest.
After all, most of these would have similar results due to it being the same demographic. Not to mention, a good majority of votes likely come from the same entrants.
So yeah, more obscure and unknown characters are likely to appear at the top given they're thrown around in speculation. However that doesn't equate to their actual popularity or fanbases.

So I wouldn't say it's completely wise to go off of what people are polling, for this iteration. It may give you some perspective for the respective demographic, but in no way is it representative of the majority of players.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Over9000BPM Over9000BPM

Y'know

But

I've seen plenty of people complain about it, but mostly on Reddit.

Shroob

Sup?
Saw this post on gamefaqs, thought it was interesting and am sharing it here

MeepleLardicle
At this point, it doesn't surprise me.

What does surprise me is 'who' would it be.

If we still have Incineroar, Ken, the 2nd SE rep.........and maybe even ****ing Dante if the 2nd character isn't Geno....

Who and when will these last characters get shown off?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Alright let's play a game. If Smash had only one third party character... Who would it be?
Sonic.

I dunno, I really really like them. But then again I really like minimalistic icons so I guess these were tailor made for me.
I like the new stock icons but I can't use them as emoticons as much as the other ones. :4pacman::wario:

KMDP

Smash Legend

I think it has something to do with the fact that Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are coooooonstantly getting redesigned, so the fans are used to it.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Over9000BPM Over9000BPM

Y'know

But

For me there's just the complaint of "WHAT ZELDA IS ULTIMATE SHEIK SUPPOSED TO BE?!?!?"

D

Deleted member

One of the things I appreacaite about Smash is that there's always some kind of single player content. Most of the other fighting games that are out right now hardly have any single player content.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Smashboards hurry up! I want my mate Momotsuki Momotsuki to add Isabelle's stock icon to his/her Ultimate main slot :)
Uhm... I appreciate the enthusiasm here, but I think the staff may be busy with other things at the moment? There's probably a lot to moderate since there was an announcement yesterday.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I’ve held my tongue because I know most wont agree but I don’t like BotW link. The green tunic is iconic, and I know there’s the costume and two other links, but it just doesn’t feel right having the main link on the character select wearing a blue shirt and no hat
Same here. I never talk about it because all I'll get are pitchforks. But I think the BotW design sucks.
The green tunic and hat are way too iconic to ever attempt to replace, and his hair is just stupid.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Alright let's play a game. If Smash had only one third party character... Who would it be?
Honestly? Sonic. He’s been seen as Mario’s competitor for years, and I feel out of all 3rd parties he deserves to be in.

This is coming from someone who never cared about the Sonic franchise btw.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Sorry I don’t like the new design of a video game character and keep suggesting a viable compromise :p
But every time someone even mentions character designs, you immediately think "oh they're talking about character designs?! now's my chance to remind everyone that i hate the new zero suit samus! i know they all loooooooooove when i do that!"

Also, every time you mention it, you get the same damn response. I would think that you'd eventually understand that nobody shares in your opinion, and never will.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
but why do we seem to hate him, what did he lie about? I remember him just saying he thought Skull Kid had a chance
Not sure about the specifics, but he gave a giant description of the direct and got almost everything wrong except K. Rool. He didn’t even say Simon, and talked about them going in detail about a game mode that didn’t exist.

Apparently he acted like an a-hole too, and I think everyone was also just kinda pissed that everyone was believing him despite him being proven a fraud after the direct.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I think it has something to do with the fact that Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are coooooonstantly getting redesigned, so the fans are used to it.
I'm just a bit surprised it took 6 games for Link to get his Sword Beam. That was a necesity, even if it isn't used.

D

Deleted member

Same here. I never talk about it because all I'll get are pitchforks. But I think the BotW design sucks.
The Green Tunic and hat are way too iconic to ever attempt to replace, and his hair is just stupid.
I was intially hesitant about Link losing the green tunic as well, but the design lately has grown me.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Okay can someone tell me what is wrong about Zss art in ultimate like i dont see the problem sorry if i sound but i just dont

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Well for starters

I think you should try writing the development team a letter. :v
I did tweet Sakurai just for the lulz but the only thing I can really try and do is plant seeds in the community because he and the Smash team are only receptive to widespread demand, for understandable reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom