• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
She's taken over as Animal Crossing's mascot since New Leaf. She's certainly the biggest character reveal yet.
She’s the most popular character from an extremely popular Nintendo series currently you’re right. Not sure why her status as a Nintendo All Star or A-list Nintendo character is being questioned

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
: "I've thought of wonderful present for you. Shall I give you despair?"
Can't wait to slice some souls with Masamune as ma boi Seph.

Also inb4 everyone starts making "Killabelle" memes to match Villager.

Also, can we talk about Wolf's ****ing voice? He sounds like a damn badass. I am not disappointed. Please let that be his Smash voice.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Geno and Skull Kid still have a high chance, in my opinion. In hindsight, I think Kapp'n was sort of the replacement for Isabelle in the Direct and that the Moon may have replaced Skull Kid.
Well Nintendo are both heavily promoting Isabelle and Skull Kid so I'm not suprised

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think it's funny how I went from arguing that Isabelle would make sense as an echo to arguing that she's not even a semi-clone.

I still stand by that she could have worked as an echo fighter, but it seems Sakurai and Nintendo believed she was worth more then that, which I can respect.

Chrono.

I'm actually feeling more confident about both Tails and Shadow now.

Mostly Shadow, but don't sleep on Tails y'all.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
:ohwell:

https://twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/status/1032867906839879680

in that same twitter reply-thread, is another Dante leak (not to mention him apparently not being in anyway).

Combine that with Vergeben's leaks, and there's no reason to give an anonymous user on 4chan a large amount of credibility...
That's not even the right Dante leak.

And leaks aren't mutually exclusive unless their info directly conflicts with another. Just because Vergeben is seemingly correct doesn't mean the Dante leak is automatically false.

And Dante's creator wouldn't even be allowed to say he's in Smash anyways, due to NDAs.

We have two leaks right now with excellent track records that literally just need Dante to be perfectly true. Certainly warrants keeping it in mind.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Lol Nintendo is promoting their IP, obviously they are going to put a variety of characters in a variety of places. I take it that dog with the guitar and that pink teddy bear thing are Nintendo All Stars too, right?
K.K.? Absolutely. Lottie (forgot how to spell it) is probably there due to relevancy.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I'm actually feeling more confident about both Tails and Shadow now.

Mostly Shadow, but don't sleep on Tails y'all.
id much rather have maybe one of those 2 and then someone from a different sega ip, while i know its not gonna happen i would love to see kiryu in smash

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Oof.

Loz’s Twitter is gone. WOnder if he’s still in that Discord group.

Anyways, about Isabelle’s fishing pole move, was that a grab or a special. I couldn’t really tell.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

And leaks aren't mutually exclusive unless their info directly conflicts with another. Just because Vergeben is seemingly correct doesn't mean the Dante leak is automatically false.

And Dante's creator wouldn't even be allowed to say he's in Smash anyways, due to NDAs.

We have two leaks right now with excellent track records that literally just need Dante to be perfectly true. Certainly warrants keeping it in mind.
The reply to the first reply under Matt's message?

The second "leak," that is.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
She’s growing on me.
You should get that checked.
Can't wait to slice some souls with Masamune as ma boi Seph.

Also inb4 everyone starts making "Killabelle" memes to match Villager.

Also, can we talk about Wolf's ****ing voice? He sounds like a damn badass. I am not disappointed. Please let that be his Smash voice.
Just said in the Isaac thread that, with FF VII on the Switch in the near future in it's original form, Sakurai no longer has to have any misgivings about including characters like Sephiroth.

It was in reply to someone saying that, with all the Square stuff they were showing, they thought that they were teasing Geno, I argued that a lot of Square stuff would mean they were teasing Sephiroth, not Geno.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
also its not like a capcom employee would come out and say yes, either they deny it or ignore it thats about all you can do
Or you say it isn't happening because you want people to believe that. It's a valid marketing strategy to attempt to temper expectations.
Guy got the reveal right though... I dunno what to think about it....
Believe what you want to believe about it, but it's one of our only living "leaks" right now whether you like it or not.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
What a nice, cherry-picked argument.

Not to throw any shade or accuse him, but this certainly wouldn't be the first time someone in games marketing outright lied to keep a reveal under wraps....even Itsuno himself did it when talking about framerates for DmC working fine at 30fps. I'm not even blaming him, he was told by Capcom to market the game to try and save it, I assume a higher up said "idgaf, say anything to make ninja theory look good or it's your ***", and ended up making statements that outright contradicted what he said when marketing DMC4.
Katsuhiro Harada said there was no Season 2 for Tekken 7 in the works in response to the leaks/rumors, a few weeks before Season 2 was announced at EVO. Devs are allowed to lie to try and keep the surprise at the least.

Now Harada is on another level, but these denials are not putting Dante at 0%, especially with these people being known for their own teasing and misdirection in the past. They should be considered effectively zero percent until the intern accidentally uploads the Devils Never Cry remix a day before the next Smash Direct, though.

People lie for the sake of marketing all the time.

Your examples are a bit off. Itsuno never lied about framerates,he addressed fans' concerns over 30fps by saying it feels like 60 fps. Additionally. Harado was asked that question directly, by an interviewer. That's entirely different than some rando asking on twitter. In my mind, if Dante is in, he would just not respond.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
All true.

Something about Golden Sun's sales, it sold millions of copies. It's a respectable amount, but only without context.

In context, Golden Sun was a regular turn-based JRPG on a Handheld System in a time frame when, I believe, turn-based RPGs were on a downswing in terms of popularity (RPGs have never really been that popular, even then).

GS sold really well, relative to it's genre, console and the time it came out.

...It's still got nothing on series like Pokémon and Animal Crossing, though. XD
Sure and I'm not saying it doesn't have it's fans.

The original poster was really unaware of Animal Crossing's success because if that's Modest then Zelda sells like garbage (like I said the original Majoras Mask just broke 3 million). It's just not a comparison is my point, a lot of people know Isabelle.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
While I'm can't say I'm overly hyped for Isabelle, I'm glad for her and her fans that she made it in.

Also I figured I was right in thinking it'd make no damn sense to have her as an echo with her proportions and the whatnot. Glad I was right because she's definitely deserving of being her own character. Congrats to all her fans!

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Or you say it isn't happening because you want people to believe that. It's a valid marketing strategy to attempt to temper expectations.

Believe what you want to believe about it, but it's one of our only living "leaks" right now whether you like it or not.
sure im not saying i think the leak is real, but pointing to that as evidence is not fool proof.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Your examples are a bit off. Itsuno never lied about framerates,he addressed fans' concerns over 30fps by saying it feels like 60 fps. Additionally. Harado was asked that question directly, by an interviewer. That's entirely different than some rando asking on twitter. In my mind, if Dante is in, he would just not respond.
Props for having a valid reason to not believe it though. I respect that.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The reply to the first reply under Matt's message?

The second "leak," that is.
It's too small to read on my computer but the only thing that matters is that 4chan post that had all of the DMC5 info and the Smash info. The rest of it doesn't really matter right now.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It looks like the salt is dying down a bit. I think people were just letting the blood rush to their heads and complaining without really thinking about it and are starting to come to accept it more now that swarms of people rushed in to defend the shizu.

That said, unless all of her aerials turn out to be the same, I'm firmly going to stand by my belief that Isabelle is not even a semi-clone. She has the same grabs, dash attack, and pocket with a similar recovery and that's it. That's about the amount of similarities Wolf shares with Fox, and I think anyone who has a clue what they're talking about will tell you that Wolf isn't a clone.

Isabelle's up tilt swipes over her head with a broom in an arc, rather then spinning around a twig. Her neutral air is like Bowser Jr.'s but with pom poms. Her Smash Attacks are all completely different, and I believe this move is her f-tilt.

Here's the link if Crashboards isn't loading images for you.

Her Fair and Bair haven't been shown yet, but I'm going to assume they're different as well because every other normal we've seen so far has been. Without the stage control tree, Lloid Rocket and sling shot to zone with, her play style is going to be totally different from Villager's. Thankfully this also means she'll probably be less annoying to fight, so here's to hoping a lot of Villager mains drop him for her.
I agree that she doesn't look like a Villager clone really. She seems similar with her body size and movement physics from what we saw, but I saw literally none of Villager's important moves on her and different moves in places Villager does have important ones... This isn't even Fox vs Wolf. This is Marth vs Mii Swordfighter from what I've seen so far.

I still honestly have no idea what she actually does. If you just say "like Villager without the zoning", I'd translate that to "worthless" since the zoning is the only reason to play Villager, but I doubt Sakurai would make a new character with no meaningful upsides at all. Any guesses what this character is actually good at? I'm kinda at a loss from her trailer what about her is supposed to be compelling from a gameplay standpoint which is also the feeling I had about K.Rool at first; I just don't know here...

That also looks like a really stubby ftilt if you're right and that would probably give her a bad ftilt overall since range is one of the main things that kind of move needs. I'm hoping instead it's a jab and it's a quick, disjointed jab and that might be one of the actually good things about the character.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I have very little doubts about Geno at this point.

There was a whole section of ''Look at us being friends again. FF is back home on Nintendo!" in the direct.

Imagine Square being all ''Lol ***** no." to Sakurai asking for Geno considering all that.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I like how I skip one Animal Crossing game because I didn't care for the taller character designs, and now I can't escape the franchises overnight most beloved icon of a mascot character. At least she looks fun. It's no wonder people like her. It's no wonder people despise her. RIP Nook and KK Slider. And Resetti.

Has anyone checked if she filled all the missing blog posts from last week?

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

If Dante gets confirmed everything is going to ****ing go ballistic.

We're gonna have to accept the fact that this site is headed for a disaster of Biblical proportions.

Fire and brimstone coming out of the comments, blood and tempers boiling, 40 pages of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the disconfirmed rising from the grave, human sacrifice, bayos and haters living together, MASS HYSTERIA

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Dude...either I am severely out of touch or y'all just call anyone who isn't a generic NPC an All Star. I wouldn't even know who Isabelle was if it wasn't for her annoying fanbase and I'm a die hard Ninty fan
You know you're wrong, right?

How can you not know her as a nintendo fan?

She's almost everywhere when it comes to nintendo

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Right of course. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t have a double meaning of some sort. It’s just really odd. They could’ve easily just used Isabelle to tease it. But they used Nook for...some reason.
It was a pretty simple gag where he was watching the trailer (which wouldn't make sense for Isabelle). You're overthinking it

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
that still doesnt make it any better as a trailer thats introing a character for a fighting game,
You don't have to like it. There is simply a logic as to what they went with.

I mean, I'm a super big AC fan and I didn't like it. Villager's reveal was a million times better.
no interaction with characters outside of AC, slow paced and longer than necessary. They could've done much better than that.
Their intentions may not have panned out in that case.
However I think you all had your expectations too high begin with. Casual folks and those less invested in speculation seemed to have received the trailer more positively.

No Smash logo, so the dumb "not actual game footage" spoiled it was a Smash thing unceremoniously,
But they were talking about smash ultimate beforehand.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Maybe don't comment on subjects you don't have the context for? I've been here for a while and I've always stood by the fact Isabelle could not and would not be an Echo but time and time again I was shot down in this very thread.
I'm sure @Opossum can confirm this.
Sounds to me more like you're equivalating people disagreeing with your predictions in the past to attacking you to justify users being disrespectful or aggressive to each other now.

Which, even if they were rude to you in the past does not justify doing it now, so I'd still say your post was rather irrelevant to mine about how unfun the thread has been to read with all the aggression.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom