• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Oh yeah. Now that Luigi's Mansion is an established franchise with 3 whole games like Pikmin, it'd be nice to see some representation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Alright, so...

Assuming Verg is 100% legit.

Even though I support Ken wholeheartedly, I support him more due to being iconic than anything else.

How would you 'semi-clone' him from Ryu?
Well Ryu is your basic Fighting Game character where as Ken is more flashy.

At this point all the guides I read on them decend into jargon so I'll do my best.

Ryu is battery, reactionary and anti-air while Ken is flow-chart...?

Yeah, the FGC has lost me.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So yeah.

The only part in question with Verg now is this Dante leak existing.

Before the Dante leak, this more or less lined up with "103 is the final stage number, deal with it."

But obviously Dante would need a stage.
Yeah, I'm curious about that as well.

Beforehand, we were looking to have Geno, Incineroar, Skull Kid and one other character, and aside from the last none of them would need a stage. If this guy is true alongside Verge, we have a non-Geno SE rep and Dante incoming, both of which would be odd without a stage to call home (especially as third parties). Either we're going to get Third Parties without stages, which would be really unusual considering Sakurai's habits with guest characters, or the 103 stage theory is going to be broken.

Iridium

Smash Hero

The alts are nice, I suppose. However, I do not accept Link torture, so you must pay. No more smiling. :troll:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
People shouldn't be harping on you for being disappointed. Does not mean you are allowed to flame others.
No! You get down from yours. You are entitled to not like a character, but you don't have to piss on others to please yourself. There's a difference, and it's called bullying. So yes, you don't need to like it, but openly say that it's a terrible choice, and proceed to piss on them is not accepted.

Popularity, game sales, commercials, merchandises, crossovers, publicity. Only a fool would not recognize Isabelle than less of a Nintendo All-Star. And I don't think anyone here is a fool.
oh **** off with this, I can say i dislike a character if i want to. you seem like the entitled one to go around and try and tell people they cant voice there opinions on something

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so
- no Bayo 3 or MP4 but that’s to be expected
- Star Fox!!
- Animal Crossing Switch AND Isabelle for Smash! I knew it
- FINAL FANTASY FOR SWITCH! LOTS OF THEM! RIP 8 tho :c
- dat Luigi’s Mansion 3 tease tho
- Torna looks amazing, no Elma Smash reveal tho :c have a feeling she’ll either be in a Smash direct or when an X port is announced, which is all but imminent following the NSMBU port

But most importantly...

LOZ. GOT. BLOWN. THE. ****. OUT.

Rest in Panini Loz, your “credibility” ends here

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think that was sarcasm, bud. :V
I deduced that after the fact, some people still tout him as a villain for real though.

Which is such an odd concept to me. Imagine Tom Nook sitting next to like K Rool, Bowser, and fricking Ridley in a villains of Smash house or something.

Ridley: I killed her parents.
Bowser: I kidnap her on the regular and try to marry her.
K Rool: I stold their food supply so they'd starve.
Tom: I, uh....gave that ***** a loan with no interest and he can pay it back anytime?

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
No! You get down from yours. You are entitled to not like a character, but you don't have to piss on others to please yourself. There's a difference, and it's called bullying. So yes, you don't need to like it, but openly say that it's a terrible choice, and proceed to piss on them is not accepted.
and it at what point did any of this actually happen? I'll admit I skipped a few pages since the thread was just repeating, but I haven't seen any of this. Your last post blatantly said people that aren't excited for the character don't deserve the game, so...

I also don't see how anyone saying they don't think it was a good choice for a fighter is not acceptable. That seems perfectly reasonable to me, it's just their opinion.

Potato_

Smash Lord
not sure why people are surprised about isabelle getting in. the roster for this game seems to be largely drawing from the ballot, and i have no doubt that isabelle scored really highly on that considering that 2015 was almost the peak of her popularity
I don't think that surprised people, it's the unique newcomer part that's shocking (although she is very "cloney")

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Haha, take that whiners. Isabelle too pacifist to get in?? Salt!!! If you aren't happy, just get out!!"
10 likes, totally fine

Other post:
"Ehh.. I'm pretty disappointed."
Quoted like 4 times with people telling them how wrong they are.

Jeez, reading this thread has been an absolute slog.
Stop playing the victim and acting like Isabelle fans haven't been **** on constantly since Echo Fighters have been known. Not to mention most of the negative reactionsi here are also along the lines of "Isabelle is a waste of a slot"/"it should have been someone else" so they aren't innocent.
Tom Nook isn't a villain.

He's a kind hearted Tanooki who is a businessman. He never forces you into anything and in fact is unlike any real business man would be.

''Ah, yes that lofty payment for your house? Just pay it whenever you like."

Tom. Nook. Is. An. Angel. And I will not allow anyone to slander his name.
It has always bothered tgat people called Nook a bad person. When I first player New Leaf I was surprised by the fact he just let me pay whenever the **** I wanted since I had always hear about how he was a "greedy raccoon"

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
What world are you all living in where Isabelle is not a Nintendo All Star?

I don't even like Animal Crossing but I have to admit the character is and has been the face of casual Nintendo for like 5 years now.

No character Nintendo has introduced in the recent past has been as popular as her.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Well Ryu is your basic Fighting Game character where as Ken is more flashy.

At this point all the guides I read on them decend into jargon so I'll do my best.

Ryu is battery, reactionary and anti-air while Ken is flow-chart...?

Yeah, the FGC has lost me.
Third Strike, SF4, or SFV him, aka make him more based on kicks, make his focus attack move kick based, obviously give him fire on up B (Roy Style), and give him his own F Smashes

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
>Luigi's Mansion 3
>Animal Crossing
>Pokemon
>Super Smash Bros Ultimate
>New Super Mario Bros Deluxe
>Yoshi's Crafted World
Feels good owning a Switch and a Gaming PC

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
oh **** off with this, I can say i dislike a character if i want to. you seem like the entitled one to go around and try and tell people they cant voice there opinions on something
No, that's were you're wrong. I say, kill them with kindness.
You can voice your opinion, you can say that you did not like it, but you don't need to come off rude, or be an ass about it.
There is a difference, and I did not go for you as an individual, but for everyone with the same view.

Keep it civil dude. No need to be so upset.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So this "Dante leak"...

It's not the first leak with Dante, Vergeben mentioned all the other characters this leak claimed (including Isabelle, without saying she would be an echo), and it's from an anonymous user in the replies section of a fake 4chan leak.

:I

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Why did she even get popular?

*sees the results tab on Rule 34 having numbers that come close to 100k*

...oh

Untouch

Smash Master
Can I get a source of Vergeben saying that Isabelle was leaked to him from the same source that leaked Ridley and Simon?

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Not gonna crap on Isabelle, we all expected her. Still looks like an echo to me. Not the point I wanna make though.

That trailer was bland and short and could have easily been thrown together in a week. I know it was stupid to think that because of the earthquake, characters with potentially more violent trailers may have been shelved in favor of something more happy.
I don't even think that was the reasoning behind showing her off for the Nintendo Direct.
It was so they could tie in an Animal Crossing announcement with the Smash reveal. After all, it's a Nintendo direct and they wanted to help promote and advertise for it.
I also wouldn't call the reveal sloppy at all. It stuck to the true nature and presentation of the game and presented it as a surprise reveal, barring the "not actual gameplay" text.

But I do agree there's better third party characters to choose from. But in comparison, you have to remember Dante's still a Capcom character so he'd be competing with other Capcom characters.
Morrigan, Jill/Leon, Chun-Li, Ammy, and even someone like Strider would still be better picks though.
To think that these are some of Ultimate's newcomers. What a contrast.
This is actually why I'm happy that Isabelle is in the game, depsite me not giving a damn about AC. It helps break up the tone and shows a variety of art styles in Smash.
Like despite me being happy with the majority of newcomers in Smash 4, very few of them really fell off into the more stylistic or cartoonish approach and art style.
So seeing the different tonalities between the newcomers we have so far, actually makes me appreciate the entrants this much more.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Stop playing the victim and acting like Isabelle fans haven't been **** on constantly since Echo Fighters have been known. Not to mention most of the negative reactionsi here are also along the lines of "Isabelle is a waste of a slot"/"it should have been someone else" so they aren't innocent.
You said a lot of things, but I have no idea what any of them had to do with my post. I've legitimately never seen anyone attacking Isabelle fans and I don't see how people's negative reactions have to fall under what you could agree with.

But sure, I'm playing a victim card somehow, even though I haven't posted in this thread all day? Maybe tone down the aggression.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I'm glad I didn't stay up for that lol how disappointing.

Although the upcoming games are really cool only Isabelle being revealed really sucks tbh 8 have no interest in that character.

On another note anyone else find Villager mains in for glory really obnoxious? All they do is spam back air.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, what leaks are alive after this?
Well, Vergeben is still kicking.
He correctly claimed that Ridley, Simon and Isabelle were in the game. If we were to believe him (And I definitely do), that would mean that Ken, a Gen 7 Pokemon, and another Square Enix character are in the game along with some Minecraft Related Content in some way or another.

Chrono.

Someone else probably posted this somewhere, but Jon from GameXplain had some... oddly correct predictions in the GX prediction video - including Kirby's Epic Yarn for 3DS, Isabelle being a unique fighter (though he was wrong about what her moveset would be like), all of the FF ports, Luigi Mansion Co-op, and a few other things. He also got a lot wrong (he predicted Golden Sun getting a 3DS remake, Persona 4 Golden coming to the Switch, among other things).

I certainly don't think we should make a Mimique out of him, but given how they had a pre-E3 video about Ridley's chances in Smash that casually had a Daisy cameo, before both Daisy and Ridley were revealed... They certainly are good at coincidences?
He also blatantly teased Ridley in ResetERA couple months before E3.

He certainly has sources, I even thought it was weird how "wild" his predictions seemed. Like he was way too sure about it.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here’s my next problem with dante

What about this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/gypsyOtoko/status/1032867906839879680
What a nice, cherry-picked argument.
Not to throw any shade or accuse him, but this certainly wouldn't be the first time someone in games marketing outright lied to keep a reveal under wraps....even Itsuno himself did it when talking about framerates for DmC working fine at 30fps. I'm not even blaming him, he was told by Capcom to market the game to try and save it, I assume a higher up said "idgaf, say anything to make ninja theory look good or it's your ass", and ended up making statements that outright contradicted what he said when marketing DMC4.
Katsuhiro Harada said there was no Season 2 for Tekken 7 in the works in response to the leaks/rumors, a few weeks before Season 2 was announced at EVO. Devs are allowed to lie to try and keep the surprise at the least.

Now Harada is on another level, but these denials are not putting Dante at 0%, especially with these people being known for their own teasing and misdirection in the past. They should be considered effectively zero percent until the intern accidentally uploads the Devils Never Cry remix a day before the next Smash Direct, though.
People lie for the sake of marketing all the time.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
No, that's were you're wrong. I say, kill them with kindness.
You can voice your opinion, you can say that you did not like it, but you don't need to come off rude, or be an *** about it.
There is a difference, and I did not go for you as an individual, but for everyone with the same view.

Keep it civil dude. No need to be so upset.
you started being uncivil by saying people that dont want her in the game dont deserve the game, god ****ing forbid people voice there disappointment. you sat on your high horse and trying to talk down to people to make you seem right, lol at trying to turn this at me

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It looks like the salt is dying down a bit. I think people were just letting the blood rush to their heads and complaining without really thinking about it and are starting to come to accept it more now that swarms of people rushed in to defend the shizu.

That said, unless all of her aerials turn out to be the same, I'm firmly going to stand by my belief that Isabelle is not even a semi-clone. She has the same grabs, dash attack, and pocket with a similar recovery and that's it. That's about the amount of similarities Wolf shares with Fox, and I think anyone who has a clue what they're talking about will tell you that Wolf isn't a clone.

Isabelle's up tilt swipes over her head with a broom in an arc, rather then spinning around a twig. Her neutral air is like Bowser Jr.'s but with pom poms. Her Smash Attacks are all completely different, and I believe this move is her f-tilt.

Here's the link if Crashboards isn't loading images for you.

Her Fair and Bair haven't been shown yet, but I'm going to assume they're different as well because every other normal we've seen so far has been. Without the stage control tree, Lloid Rocket and sling shot to zone with, her play style is going to be totally different from Villager's. Thankfully this also means she'll probably be less annoying to fight, so here's to hoping a lot of Villager mains drop him for her.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
He's not a villain for this though.

You try showing up to a house and be all ''Ha, see I have no money."

What he essentially does? He lets you have the house and work to get money to pay off on your down payment.

That's not villainy. That's being a kind soul who should've just told your butt to get back on the bus and come back when you were serious about having a house of your own.
The post was a joke.

Like look at all the good things he does for you, how evil.

JayPercent

Smash Rookie
and it at what point did any of this actually happen? I'll admit I skipped a few pages since the thread was just repeating, but I haven't seen any of this. Your last post blatantly said people that aren't excited for the character don't deserve the game, so...

I also don't see how anyone saying they don't think it was a good choice for a fighter is not acceptable. That seems perfectly reasonable to me, it's just their opinion.
Personally, She wasn't my first pick... Nor my 10th... But any new character, even if they're echoes/Semi-Clones means more variety in Smash and I can't say no to that. So long as it makes more people want to play Smash, I'm in.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, the Isabelle hate has really surprised me. Like I sorta get it, she's "stolen" a spot from Issac and Geno, and some may legitimately not like the character or the series but really though, why all the vitriol? She is the face of Animal Crossing, and even without hindsight Villager being Smash 4 made Isabelle all but inevitable in a new entry. Otherwise it would be like Luigi being in the game but Mario not, or Zelda without Link. She is a worthy character, and as Smash is first and foremost an advertisement for gaming she fits perfectly IMO.

Chrono.

I'll be honest, the Isabelle hate has really surprised me. Like I sorta get it, she's "stolen" a spot from Issac and Geno, and some may legitimately not like the character or the series but really though, why all the vitriol? She is the face of Animal Crossing, and even without hindsight Villager being Smash 4 made Isabelle all but inevitable in a new entry. Otherwise it would be like Luigi being in the game but Mario not, or Zelda without Link. She is a worthy character, and as Smash is first and foremost an advertisement for gaming she fits perfectly IMO.
Cause people overhyped themselves up after saying they wouldn't overhype themselves up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom