• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Koopalings are costumes because the Koopa Car is what you're actually using and it's meant to be like you're just switching the driver like you would in Mario Kart.

Would be pretty dumb to get like 7 echoes of the same character too.
My favorite is 58εεεεεεε.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Yeah he did, Baby Bowser had it since his first appearance in Yoshi's Island and ever since.
All they did was add baby horns and a bandanna to Jr..but then they added those to Baby Bowser in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.
That's why I can't stand him..its a lazy reuse of a design, his existence made them retain the koopalings, and I just can't stand his personality type..
I meant in the sense that if you compare Bowser adult & Bowser Jr in the same room, but I got your point. Still, I disagree, Bowser & Bowser Jr interaction, while somewhat rare, are generally quit heartwarming and show how much Bowser care about his son, even if he come up as a dork or even a failure at time. Bowser Jr meanwhile care immensily about making his dad proud of him by always trying his very best, even if he come off as annoying sometime. Does it suck that the Koopaling got related to general instead of Bowser children? Yeah, I admit that suck, but I wouldn't put that against Bowser Jr, so much that Nintendo didn't know what to do with the Koopaling for a long time(beside Superstar Saga, they didn't apparear in anything until NSMB). Plus, Bowser Jr introduction in Sunshine did show that determinate side I described, and the plan he had to put Mario & company into problems was pretty genius of his part. So I wouldn't call him just an annoying brat. (tho, some spin off or games does accentuate that brat part a bit too much to a annoying level, I admit)

Finally, for the design, heh, I don't mind it, I like it quit alot in fact (tho it maybe because I didn't know about Baby Bowser existence at the time), but I'm not trying to convince you. If you hate it, you hate it, Bowser Jr isn't my favourite either as I said, that would go to Ludwig. But I hope I could give some hindsight on the character, if not, well too bad I guess.:substitute:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Doesn't Nintendo usually delete the livestream itself after and reupload it after using another link, rendering this useless?
Yeah, I think they do.

As an alternative, you could have someone message you the new direct link... though that's hardly a decent workaround. :laugh:
The fact that people keep saying this is the funniest **** whenever several people have already said they're hype for Daisy in this thread
I wouldn't shut up about her. She's basically all I wanted.

Everything else after that has been filler.
I was pretty hype for Daisy; even if she wasn't my most wanted, I was still happy to see her.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Seriously, there's no way we're getting two unique fighters tomorrow. This is just a regular old Nintendo direct, not a Smash or E3 Direct. They've got other stuff they want to focus on two and even just a single character is still going to be a huge deal for Smash.

Hopefully we'll finally hear about Smash's online modes, though. I'm really hoping they have a solid ranked mode as those a great way to improve from home.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Seriously, there's no way we're getting two unique fighters tomorrow. This is just a regular old Nintendo direct, not a Smash or E3 Direct. They've got other stuff they want to focus on two and even just a single character is still going to be a huge deal for Smash.

Hopefully we'll finally hear about Smash's online modes, though. I'm really hoping they have a solid ranked mode as those a great way to improve from home.
I'm all for tempering expectations but there's no reason we should completely dismiss the idea

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I agree. The only thing that could alter that is if one or both of the unique fighters are a major part of another game being shown.

For example, a surprise announcement of a Yokai Watch game for Switch, followed by Yokai Watch's protagonist in Smash. (I don't even play the game, just first thing I could think of.)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm all for tempering expectations but there's no reason we should completely dismiss the idea
I mean, I guess it could theoretically happen...

But it just seems very, very unlikely to me. Not unless this direct is hijacked by Smashbrothers again, which will probably produce a lot of salt among non-Smash fans.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

But it just seems very, very unlikely to me. Not unless this direct is hijacked by Smashbrothers again, which will probably produce a lot of salt among non-Smash fans.
Yeah. I've gone into it in length before the direct was supposed to release, but Nintendo has catching up to do with investors, since the overall thought of their E3 outside of Smash circles was that they didn't have anything else to push Switch sales this year. Nintendo reassured the people giving them money that they still had more to reveal this fiscal year, and we're already in September.

This direct won't focus on Smash Bros., but it's possible that Smash will still take up enough time for two character reveals if they correlate with other announcements. The smart money says that we're only getting one. Or none. (I'll bet one and an echo.)

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Team Isabelle, assemble!

No really, I'm curious. How many people here support Isabelle for Smash?
Isabelle is my most wanted character, now that K. Rool made it in. Animal Crossing is my favorite series, Isabelle is my (second) favorite NPC, and I think she really should be in.

I’ve been scoffed at for even suggesting it, but I’d really love it if she got her own moveset. I think Isabelle would look really odd using Villager’s animations, and there’s so much more that could be taken from Animal Crossing than what we see our current rep doing.
I’ve become super attached to the idea of Isabelle using the different emotions to attack, which provide a lot of charm in the series and aren’t touched at all by Villager. Add it stuff she does in-game, like party poppers, pwps, and her clumsiness, and she could be a really fun character.

She’ll probably be an echo if anything, and that saddens me, but I will take it any day over not getting her at all.

Potato_

Smash Lord

There's really no way of knowing for sure, as it's entirely dependent on how much content is left in the game. If there's still a good number of newcomers left we COULD see 2, although I'd say a newcomer and echo is more likely.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Now that you say it's unlikely, we're gonna get one unique and one echo fighter for each franchise shown in the direct.

Including the online service.

D

Deleted member

I really wonder how far off our predictions as a community are, and also if tomorrow is the day speculation will be thrown for a loop.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
She’ll probably be an echo if anything, and that saddens me, but I will take it any day over not getting her at all.
The slogan of every Daisy fan.

It's a sad, sad song.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Isabelle is my most wanted character, now that K. Rool made it in. Animal Crossing is my favorite series, Isabelle is my (second) favorite NPC, and I think she really should be in.

I’ve been scoffed at for even suggesting it, but I’d really love it if she got her own moveset. I think Isabelle would look really odd using Villager’s animations, and there’s so much more that could be taken from Animal Crossing than what we see our current rep doing.
I’ve become super attached to the idea of Isabelle using the different emotions to attack, which provide a lot of charm in the series and aren’t touched at all by Villager. Add it stuff she does in-game, like party poppers, pwps, and her clumsiness, and she could be a really fun character.

I was just about to comment that people shouldn't be sleeping on the possibility of Isabelle being a unique newcomer, she's most certainly got the star power to back it up, and I do also have a bit of a hard time seeing her doing all of the stuff Villager does. I still think her being an echo is the most likely outcome, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see her being unique either, I reckon people around here would panic a bit as it means one spot less for the other currently predicted newcomers (of which a lot are fan favorites), so roster predictions would get really difficult from that point on.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I really wonder how far off our predictions as a community are, and also if tomorrow is the day speculation will be thrown for a loop.
If I had to pick anything to put my money on, it'd be that whatever the new information is is going to throw a bunch of people off in terms of speculation.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If there are no Smash announcements, I'll be shocked. Every Direct, except those focusing on Nindies or solely for another game, had a character reveal for Super Smash Bros. 4, I doubt this cycle will be different. Whether it's an echo, multiple echoes, or a unique and echo(es), well, we'll see.

I do hope we get another 50 Fact Extravaganza hosted by Xander Mobus again for the last bits of Smash info.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Now that you say it's unlikely, we're gonna get one unique and one echo fighter for each franchise shown in the direct.

Including the online service.

The 3DS wireless settings guy.

And the Microsoft character we all really wanted: Clippy.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
The way I see it, speculation will be changed either way tomorrow goes. If it’s Ken, incineroaor or Isabelle, more points for verge. If it’s skull kid, more points for loz. If it’s none of those, someone completely unexpected, then neither of them were completely correct.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The way I see it, speculation will be changed either way tomorrow goes. If it’s Ken, incineroaor or Isabelle, more points for verge. If it’s skull kid, more points for loz. If it’s none of those, someone completely unexpected, then neither of them were completely correct.
Bandanna Waddle Dee would be perfect for a lack of left field but maximum leaker upset.

D

Deleted member

I hope it's something crazy unexpected that was off everyone's radar on predictions, be it an unique newcomer from an existing 3rd Party franchise, a character that isn't seen as ranking highly on the ballot or just some straight up Sakurai ****ery. As much as I believe Verg, seeing leakers get credibility is the last thing I want.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Honestly its pretty wild that this Direct did land on my Birthday. In fact I even got the giveaway Demo for Smash 3DS on my birthday as well... Here's to wild coincidences happening and Deathborn and a New F-Zero being announced lol.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Bruh, I've been pushing for Skull Kid before Loz decided to open his mouth about it, gimme some unnecessary leaker cred too

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So, which highly expected character do we not see being added to the game?
Well there's Isaac who's series could be considered too dead, Geno if Square is hard to work with again and Incinaroar/Decidueye because there' 800+ of the blasted things.

D

Deleted member

Bandanna Waddle Dee would be perfect for a lack of left field but maximum leaker upset.
Since I'm really doubtful about Skull Kid anyway, Bandana Dee would be one heck of a consolation prize for me. Please Sakurai I want a new Kirby character so bad. ; - ;

Graizen

Smash Champion
Many people do not know, but tomorrow is an interesting day for Digimon and for Nintendo.
In addition to having a Nintendo Direct tomorrow, we'll have a special livestream of Digimon the next day!

Will we see Digimon Survive during the Direct from tomorrow?
Would Agumon have a great chance of getting into Smash this time?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Shantae.
I really don’t know why people here are so confident in her. Shovel Knight seemed to really beat her out in terms of popularity, and he was made an assist trophy.

I’ve barely seen anyone talk about Shantae outside of the boards.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's why I try to keep my expectations in check nowadays. I don't even try to predict, that's just asking for trouble.

Skull Kid, since historically no Zelda character that's unrelated to the Big Three has been playable so far. Wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Shantae.
I really don’t know why people here are so confident in here. Shovel Knight seemed to really beat her out in terms of popularity, and he was made an assist trophy.

I’ve barely seen anyone talk about Shantae outside of the boards.
I've barely seen anyone talk about her here.
Maybe a handful of people.

I would personally much prefer her as a fighter than Shovel Knight but I usually keep that to myself because I also think its rather unlikely, but I'd like to be wrong about that despite how more vocal people tend to feel about her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom