• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
So apparently Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination all count as Ultimate stages. So as much as I want Isaac and other new IPs (Especially lesser known Nintendo IPs), does this mean the remaining newcomers will be from series already with characters?
That's the big question isn't it? It's entirely possible that we get a new series character without a stage, but I don't think that's ever happened before.

One thing's for sure, if we really aren't getting new series characters that cuts down the possible entrants by a LOT.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So, which highly expected character do we not see being added to the game?
Shanate- Will most likely be an AT at best.

Dixie- Sakurai probably think K.Rool’s good enough.

Decidueye- He’s probably more expected then wanted from what I've seen, and I expected him Pre-E3 but wasn’t actually interested.

Isabelle- I think she’ll stay as a healing AT.

Springman- I want an ARMS character but it’s probably in the same case as Inklings in SSB4 for being too recent.

Rex/Pyra- I think Elma is more likely.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
That's the big question isn't it? It's entirely possible that we get a new series character without a stage, but I don't think that's ever happened before.

One thing's for sure, if we really aren't getting new series characters that cuts down the possible entrants by a LOT.
Its happened, but a long time ago.

No EarthBound and F-Zero stage in Smash 64 and no Fire Emblem stage in Melee.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
God, yes, I'll take Agumon any day, I really don't understand why people don't support him so much, he's literally the symbol of an era and of the main rival of Pokemon from back in the day. Having him in Smash would be a 90s kid's dream come true.
Could be for two main reasons. Well, three main reasons.

1. More people associate Digimon with anime than with games more than even Pokemon, although like Pokemon, started as a game series (as virtual pets). Even the first console game was out before the anime.

2. It's no where near as relevant as before, though not exactly a dead series either. Kids these days might not get the hype.

3. There's so many other characters people are more invested in.

In hindsight, Agumon makes sense to support since the series should fit the mold to be a guest, but likely needs more support or something.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
So, will all of this talk regarding third party characters and so forth, who is a character from a series that you are surprised that hasn’t been mentioned yet?

For me, I’d say a Resident Evil character. I thought for sure I’d see some demand for a character like Leon or Jill, seeing as how Resident Evil is THE horror series.
Deus Ex protagonist, Adam Jensen.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Decidueye- He’s probably more expected then wanted from what I see, and I expected him Pre-E3 but wasn’t actually interested.

Springman- I want an ARMs but it’s probably in the same case as Inklings in SSB4 for being too recent.

Aside from Dixie and Isabelle everyone here has dropped off the radar in the fandom considerably.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Marth and Roy were included in Melee without a Fire Emblem stage.

StormC

Smash Hero
Eh, I don't see why this would prevent Dixie from appearing as an echo at least. I mean, Dixie was definitely more requested than Dark Samus.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord

Decidueye- He’s probably more expected then wanted from what I've seen, and I expected him Pre-E3 but wasn’t actually interested.

Springman- I want an ARMS character but it’s probably in the same case as Inklings in SSB4 for being too recent.

Agree with everything here but Isabelle. Think she and Animal Crossing are popular enough to at least warrant an echo.

Its happened, but a long time ago.

No EarthBound and F-Zero stage in Smash 64 and no Fire Emblem stage in Melee.
I actually forgot there was no FE stage in Melee. Well that just proves there is a precedent for this,

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, which highly expected character do we not see being added to the game?
Shantae, since Shovel Knight only got to be an Assist, that could be her best shot as well. But maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't mind if I was since I like her series.

Geno, mans not a lock. And Square stays stingy with their content in others hands, even for the dude co-owned by Nintendo. The fact that he's co-owned may help, I don't know.

People put a lot of stock in Isabelle, but she could still be an assist too, like the WaluLynZero The Bombchidna.

Dixie...sort of. I'm thinking her being a clone of Diddy with a DK style recovery could happen. We say K.Rool would be enough, but we got Dark Samus along side Ridley anyway.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Agree with everything here but Isabelle. Think she and Animal Crossing are popular enough to at least warrant an echo.

I actually forgot there was no FE stage in Melee. Well that just proves there is a precedent for this,
But this time, stage music is tied to series. If a series doesn't have a stage, then its music will only play on the misc. stages like Living Room and Pictochat 2.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
god people would complain harder with that than with mario bros
Why though?

Wasn’t the reason why people didn’t like Mario Bros because of the stage's design itself and not where the stage was from?
Why would that apply to a Gyromite stage?

Chrono.

Thought dump:
  • I'll believe Geno when I see him.
  • I'm still not sold on Pokemon getting a newcomer.
  • Shadow and Isabelle are the only characters I see as near-locks.
  • Lloyd is being surprisingly slept on
  • Not sure on Isaac and Skull Kid

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, will all of this talk regarding third party characters and so forth, who is a character from a series that you are surprised that hasn’t been mentioned yet?

For me, I’d say a Resident Evil character. I thought for sure I’d see some demand for a character like Leon or Jill, seeing as how Resident Evil is THE horror series.
Jill and Leon get mentioned a fair bit. Not too often. I'd prefer Jill, but I think Leon's the most popular of the RE cast.

Lara Croft imo
Another character that gets mentioned once in while too. Might as well throw in Scorpion and Sub-Zero too. Either way, there's plenty of cool western characters, but very few of them get much support. It's only Banjo who's had long lasting discussions on being in the game, due to the history of the character originally being Nintendo's.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lloyd is being surprisingly slept on
A lot of people are slept on, like Prince Sable. He's arguably more slept on given his MIA status.
Namco stuff may happen, but people expected Tekken more I guess.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just hope a new stage is revealed in this Direct. I want that 103 Stage speculation thing to die. That'll open up the doors for Isaac and more unrepresented series in this game which would just make me so ****ing happy, you have no idea.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Every game has introduced franchises that didn't have a stage, at least at first.

64: Earthbound and F-Zero
Melee: Fire Emblem
Brawl: ROB
Smash 4: Still ROB, Wii Fit, Duck Hunt (3DS only, DH added in post)

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I just hope a new stage is revealed in this Direct. I want that 103 Stage speculation thing to die. That'll open up the doors for Isaac and more unrepresented series in this game which would just make me so ****ing happy, you have no idea.
Hopefully it's a new character with a stage. Aka new franchise

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still questioning why a Bowser's Castle stage hasn't been a thing in Smash yet...

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
With Rathalos in the game, Dragon Quest is officially the highest grossing Japanese franchise not in Smash Bros in some form. If we're gambling on third parties, I'd still bet on DQ.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm still low key mad Melee didn't get a Fire Emblem Stage. My OCD hates that part of the game.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With Rathalos in the game, Dragon Quest is officially the highest grossing Japanese franchise not in Smash Bros in some form. If we're gambling on third parties, I'd still bet on DQ.
I'm honestly thinking based on the supposed trend. Each third party company is only getting two each. Echos and DLC (None from any of the five below) not included.

Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu
Konami: Simon, Snake
Namco: Pac-Man, TBA (Most likely Heihachi)
Sega: Bayonetta, Sonic
Square Enix: Cloud, TBA (Most likely Geno)

In this case Monster Hunter might only be in as an assist, boss and stage. The same reason how Minecraft might only have a stage while we could get Banjo.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
never heard of it but it looks like that a-ha music video

Have you played Gyromite to know how it would mess up?
Who says it needs to be based off of the original level design?
Hell, if we did get one, it probably wouldn't, because Gyromite's levels are closed off rooms.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm honestly thinking based on the supposed trend. Each third party company is only getting two each. Echos and DLC not included.

Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu
Konami: Simon, Snake
Namco: Pac-Man, TBA (Most likely Heihachi)
Sega: Bayonetta, Sonic
Square Enix: Cloud, TBA (Most likely Geno)

In this case Monster Hunter might only be in as an assist, boss and stage. The same reason how Minecraft might only have a stage while we could get Banjo.
That's not a trend, that's a coincidence.
Also :ultrichter: don't ignore :ultrichter:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom